Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188985 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1365 on: May 18, 2020, 06:01:00 PM »
Managed 3/4 a full lap today, breathing is back to normal. YES!! Going for a full lap tomorrow if I can manage.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1366 on: May 18, 2020, 06:58:21 PM »
Very good mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1367 on: May 19, 2020, 10:30:38 PM »
Kattelox, that's awesome.  I'm glad you're starting to feel better with the breathing.  Also, mangos are delicious. :)

I had a little workout break through today.  I'm not on the level of anyone here, but it was an improvement for me and I was pretty pleased.

I've been trying to stick to 5 times a week throughout the stay at home situation and so far I've kept to it.

Good on ya!  Consistency is very important.  Make it a habit.   :tup

That's definitely the key.  I usually do well in the spring and summer.  The pattern over the last few years is that I get sick after ProgPower, stop working out, and don't really pick it back up when I get better.  I suppose that won't be an issue if it gets cancelled this year. :P

But other things always seem to come up in the fall (or a normal fall) and I should try harder to stay on top of it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: May 20, 2020, 05:38:40 AM »
The funny thing is I had no problem lifting weights and kicking my own ass all these years, but it's only now that I'm getting into running for real and putting the weights on the back burner. Might just cancel my gym membership again because the fresh air is really invigorating. Consistency is definitely key

EDIT: Something I didn't even think about... it's allergy season, at least here it is. My allergies tend to flare up at the end of May, but perhaps they've been bothering me all month. Looking at the pollen count today and that might explain why I feel a little off today. Whoops. Time to break out the benadryl. Next couple weeks are gonna suck (and blow!).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 10:41:51 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1369 on: May 23, 2020, 05:33:09 PM »
I forgot how sore running can make your abs..  especially if you're out of shape. Holy schnikes. Taking it easy for a couple days, but the weather's way too nice to not walk. But OW.  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1370 on: May 23, 2020, 07:59:44 PM »
Core, baby...CORE!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1371 on: May 23, 2020, 08:46:54 PM »
Core, baby...CORE!!!

Time to reintroduce good ol' planks and such to the regiment! Been waking up with sore abs for a week now  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1372 on: May 24, 2020, 04:36:30 AM »
Did a 16km run today. (9.94 miles)  Time was 1 hour, 32 minutes and 33 seconds.  Slow but my 12km time was 1:08:32, so the 12km was better than last week, so my pace is slowly picking up over long distances.  Was amazing.  I'm becoming absolutely addicted to running.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: May 24, 2020, 04:47:10 AM »
The past week has been a nice one for me.  The program calls for 4 days of lifting, instead of 5.  It's 3 heavy lift movements + some HIIT.  I swapped the HIIT movement with some steady-state instead on my stationary bike instead (cuz I wanted to watch Into the Electric Castle Live).  Some good sweats.  I also ate a little heavier than normal ... and still dropped 1lb.  Think I'll continue with this cycle for another week, and see how she goes.

The day with deadlifts though... idiot me didn't stretch my hammies at all - no clue what I was thinking.  3rd round in, I felt a very noticeable twang on my left side.  Played it smart, and skipped doing deadlifts.  Fortunately, it was fine the next day, and all seems ok.

Today... lying tricep extensions, bulgarian split squats, and underhand db rows.  5 rounds of 1 set each.  It's supposed to be combined with 2 mins of DB squat/swings.  Yeah, like snot.  That's insane!  Think I'll stick with a 30-min bike ride, as I still have lots of stuff on the DVR to watch.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: May 24, 2020, 06:38:23 PM »
The past week has been a nice one for me.  The program calls for 4 days of lifting, instead of 5.  It's 3 heavy lift movements + some HIIT.  I swapped the HIIT movement with some steady-state instead on my stationary bike instead (cuz I wanted to watch Into the Electric Castle Live).  Some good sweats.  I also ate a little heavier than normal ... and still dropped 1lb.  Think I'll continue with this cycle for another week, and see how she goes.

The day with deadlifts though... idiot me didn't stretch my hammies at all - no clue what I was thinking.  3rd round in, I felt a very noticeable twang on my left side.  Played it smart, and skipped doing deadlifts.  Fortunately, it was fine the next day, and all seems ok.

Today... lying tricep extensions, bulgarian split squats, and underhand db rows.  5 rounds of 1 set each.  It's supposed to be combined with 2 mins of DB squat/swings.  Yeah, like snot.  That's insane!  Think I'll stick with a 30-min bike ride, as I still have lots of stuff on the DVR to watch.

Smart.  I could learn a thing or two from you.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. How's it goin this week?
« Reply #1375 on: May 24, 2020, 07:17:13 PM »
Niiiiice, guys.

I should probably buy sunscreen. Ol' Brains here decided to go walking today at high noon. Went from looking like a viking to a drunk hobo. Holy sunburns, Batman.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: May 24, 2020, 07:25:14 PM »
Niiiiice, guys.

I should probably buy sunscreen. Ol' Brains here decided to go walking today at high noon. Went from looking like a viking to a drunk hobo. Holy sunburns, Batman.  :lol

Living in Queensland Australia, I can tell you that sunscreen is a must.  The sun will kill you going out in the middle of the day in the warm season without sunscreen.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: May 24, 2020, 08:23:35 PM »
Niiiiice, guys.

Living in Queensland Australia, I can tell you that sunscreen is a must.  The sun will kill you going out in the middle of the day in the warm season without sunscreen.

Oh God that sounds awful haha. Yeah, I think I'll grab some on Tuesday, thankfully I don't even have to leave the house tomorrow.

I'm just stumbling through life one day at a time right now  :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: May 24, 2020, 08:26:42 PM »
I'm just stumbling through life one day at a time right now  :rollin

I hear ya.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1379 on: May 29, 2020, 01:20:38 PM »
May's been quite the month. I've been doing really good at cooking healthy meals for myself most nights of the week, and regularly having fresh fruit and raw veggies. I've been nitpicking my diet and trying to eliminate sausage entirely from breakfast, but man, there's nothing quite like breakfast sausage.

Sodium (mentioned it in the irritating thread) - I went overboard on the beef jerky this past week, and it's sooo good, but I forgot how much sodium is in a piece of jerky, and I was eating a lot of it. Holy hypertension, Batman. So, drastically reducing my sodium intake for a while until my blood pressure comes down. Doc said I'm perfectly healthy at the start of the month, other than slightly high blood pressure, which I've had for a few years. So that's at the forefront of my mind for sure. Drinking tons of water as usual.

Now it's time to kick the last addiction: caffeine, specifically energy drinks. Not only are they bad for my teeth, but the amount of caffeine I'd consume daily probably should've killed me by now. 2-3 energy drinks a day plus a large coffee. Add the occasional soda for a little more caffeine. Maybe a 5 hour energy shot here and there. It's absurd, it's like a drug, and I decided to eliminate it entirely instead of tapering off. I'm on day 3 of no caffeine and all I want to do is sleep, thank god it's Friday.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: May 29, 2020, 02:15:50 PM »
I'm on day 3 of no caffeine and all I want to do is sleep, thank god it's Friday.

Holy shit.  No big withdrawal symptoms?  I once (by accident) went without coffee for 24 hours, and I had a splitting headache.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: May 29, 2020, 02:58:33 PM »
It's absurd, it's like a drug, and I decided to eliminate it entirely instead of tapering off. I'm on day 3 of no caffeine and all I want to do is sleep, thank god it's Friday.

It IS a drug, and I'm surprised you didnt get headaches either, but that's pretty good overall, what you've been doing.

I, on the other hand haven't been feeling 100% lately and slowed down on my workouts a bit this week, definitely put on a couple pounds the last few weeks. Also, I broke my streak of 2 months without eating anything that wasnt home cooked when our vendor rep dropped off mcdonalds breakfast at work thursday because we were doing a major project. I didnt want to, but 6 hours later I was starving and forgot to bring a banana to make with oatmeal so I ate the leftover plate of eggs, sausage, pancakes, biscuit and 2 hash browns  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1382 on: May 29, 2020, 03:35:35 PM »
Kattelox, I think that's awesome.

I saw this thread bumped a little while ago and did my workout.  I probably would have done it anyway, but might have pushed it off a couple more hours. :)

Cram - a day of McDonald's every so often won't undo everything you've been doing.  It's gotta be ok to let up once in a while, and is probably actually pretty healthy.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: May 29, 2020, 03:41:41 PM »
I've been hitting some personal bests on some movements lately.  Feeling good, feeling alright, it's Friday night!

Tonight - DB presses; Squats; High pulls.

5 reps to failure for each, with my 10RM weight.  Kinda hard to do the squats when all I have is db's, but I'm pushing myself by supplementing the weight with bands.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: May 29, 2020, 03:48:13 PM »
I get exhausted right around noon, and the headaches kick in around 2. It's almost 5 and I feel like death, so I'm going to bed as soon as I get home. TGIF.

I'd like to be able to just live my life without caffeine for a while. Weed's out, caffeine's next, maybe I'll finally feel like a human again soon. :P

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: May 29, 2020, 03:50:55 PM »
I get exhausted right around noon, and the headaches kick in around 2. It's almost 5 and I feel like death, so I'm going to bed as soon as I get home. TGIF.

I'd like to be able to just live my life without caffeine for a while. Weed's out, caffeine's next, maybe I'll finally feel like a human again soon. :P

Not with the format of your roulette you won't!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: May 29, 2020, 04:08:21 PM »
 :lol oh jeeze

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: May 29, 2020, 05:54:07 PM »

Man, that sounds rough.  Amazing what it does to your body then.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1388 on: May 29, 2020, 06:43:47 PM »
Just finished working out.  Really happy / impressed with the gains I'm getting on this program.  Just pounded out 5 sets of 10 at 45lbs (with a purple band for the squats) on each of those exercises.  I was only able to do 2 sets @ before failing at 8 and 6 last week on the shoulder exercises.

It seems like every exercise is going up a little every week.  :fistpump:

And this is the "Max Shred" program.  Next month I start "Max Size".

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: May 29, 2020, 06:46:05 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal Chadster

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: May 29, 2020, 06:50:47 PM »
Way to go buddy!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: May 29, 2020, 06:56:06 PM »
Thanks boys.  Two more weeks of this program.  It'll be interesting to see what some of the lifts were at week 1 vs the end.  The only disappointing part is that I'm going to max out a few exercises soon because I "only" have the adjustable Bowflex weights that go to 90lbs.  I'm already there for deadlifts, and almost there for standing u/h rows.  Oh well, it's a good problem to have I suppose.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: May 29, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal Chadster

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: May 30, 2020, 06:42:50 AM »
Great work, Chad!!!

I'm jealous to read about weight lifting... I've got a hernia going on so all my exercise is pretty light, walking, golfing, yard work (with no lifting of course). I miss the weights.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: May 30, 2020, 07:00:58 AM »
I'm on day 3 of no caffeine and all I want to do is sleep, thank god it's Friday.

Holy shit.  No big withdrawal symptoms?  I once (by accident) went without coffee for 24 hours, and I had a splitting headache.

I remember trying to quit coffee once and the headache I got was one for the record books.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: May 30, 2020, 09:00:52 PM »
Aaaand just under 24k steps today. Weekends rock!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: May 31, 2020, 04:44:16 AM »
Went out this morning and did a 21km run. (13 miles)  Half marathon.  Time was 2 hours 1 minue and 53 seconds.  Would be nice to have gotten under 2 hours though.  What a cathartic 2 hours though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: May 31, 2020, 04:45:51 AM »
Did a 16km run today. (9.94 miles)  Time was 1 hour, 32 minutes and 33 seconds.  Slow but my 12km time was 1:08:32, so the 12km was better than last week, so my pace is slowly picking up over long distances.  Was amazing.  I'm becoming absolutely addicted to running.

I timed my times at 8km, 12km and 16km.  My 16km time today was 1 hour 31 minutes and 12 seconds, so I beat that time at least.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: May 31, 2020, 04:46:12 AM »
Aaaand just under 24k steps today. Weekends rock!

Keep it up mate, you're killing it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: May 31, 2020, 05:28:29 AM »
Gyms are reopening on Monday. At the moment you have to make an appointment at the gym I go to; curious to see how this will work