Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188998 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1330 on: May 13, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »
Quitting smoking is weird. I wasn't a cigarette smoker, but a hardcore weed smoker for 8 years

I quit smoking weed cold turkey. I literally haven't had a puff in 19 years.  I smoked daily in college, and when I got out, I was on again off again for many years. At the time I quit, I was getting baked a couple of times a week.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: May 13, 2020, 07:34:12 PM »
I'm planning on Sunday to try and break a distance PB with my run.  Lots of stretching and rolling this week so hopefully I can go in feeling fresh.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: May 13, 2020, 07:34:36 PM »
Quitting smoking is weird. I wasn't a cigarette smoker, but a hardcore weed smoker for 8 years

I quit smoking weed cold turkey. I literally haven't had a puff in 19 years.  I smoked daily in college, and when I got out, I was on again off again for many years. At the time I quit, I was getting baked a couple of times a week.

I never would have picked you as a pot smoker Tim.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1333 on: May 13, 2020, 07:37:16 PM »
I loved getting stoned and listening to music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1334 on: May 13, 2020, 07:41:33 PM »
It really is my absolute favorite thing. I'm gonna miss it..
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1335 on: May 13, 2020, 07:43:14 PM »
I don't miss it. What I miss is being younger when nothing mattered except partying with some friends and listening to tunes.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: May 13, 2020, 07:43:58 PM »
Hanging with other humans? Not my thing!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1337 on: May 13, 2020, 07:45:32 PM »

Probably not theirs either. :P :P :P :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1338 on: May 13, 2020, 07:53:05 PM »
I loved getting stoned and listening to music.

One thing I never did.  I was a massive drinker but never touched anything.  Didn't mind a smoke or a cigar when drinking with friends but that was it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: May 13, 2020, 07:54:54 PM »
I don't miss it. What I miss is being younger when nothing mattered except partying with some friends and listening to tunes.

I started drinking at 14 and at school there was always someone's parents away and we'd just drink all night every weekend.  Not a care in the world, best time of life.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: May 13, 2020, 07:55:31 PM »

The older I get, the more I feel this way.  It's actually a bit scary.

Offline max_security

« Reply #1341 on: May 13, 2020, 08:09:46 PM »

I started drinking at 14 and at school there was always someone's parents away and we'd just drink all night every weekend.  Not a care in the world, best time of life.

Was this anywhere near Bon Scott's road to his pub ?  :metal 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1342 on: May 13, 2020, 10:14:43 PM »
I'm a daily pot smoker, but i basically don't drink (i had all of 18 alcoholic drinks in 2019). Not afraid to admit it. For me, it's a way better option than drinking. I can still exercise high (case in point i just rode 100km on my bike...while high. Even stopped on my way back home for refresher), and there's no hangovers. No calories either. I realize that doing neither would be more healthy, but everyone should have some vice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1343 on: May 13, 2020, 10:36:10 PM »
I'm a daily pot smoker, but i basically don't drink (i had all of 18 alcoholic drinks in 2019). Not afraid to admit it. For me, it's a way better option than drinking. I can still exercise high (case in point i just rode 100km on my bike...while high. Even stopped on my way back home for refresher), and there's no hangovers. No calories either. I realize that doing neither would be more healthy, but everyone should have some vice.

This made me lol pretty hard.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: May 13, 2020, 10:41:45 PM »
I don't drink at all anymore.  I was a binge drinker from 14 to about 22 and then just stopped as around 22 my work started increasing.  The only time I would drink is if me and the misses went to dinner and that obviously hasn't happened for a while.  Would have one drink and be over it.  I have no interest anymore.  Even if I catch up with my old mate when I was drinking, I rarely have a drink, only if it's at dinner.  He's still a chronic drinker so we don't have as much in common anymore.  I've seen alcohol do bad things and he as an example is deteriorating from it IMO and he's only like 38.

I'd hate to say it, but my vice would be a weekend sugar binge.  Kripsy Kreme, Ben and Jerry's, cakes, slices, chocolate you name it.  It's only the last year I've started to train for fitness and to try and look better, but I've been a sugar addict and still train to eat sometimes.  It's not very good, and a definite issue but my activity level means I can't still lose weight and get away with whatever I want.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1345 on: May 14, 2020, 03:15:07 AM »
No significant vices for me.  jingle.daughter used to bake sweets a lot, but now it's just on special occasions - birthdays, anniversary, "<something> Day...  Same with drinks... maybe a couple of weeks on average, but I could easily got a month without anything.  Summertime is a tad more frequent with a few beers around the pool, or as I'm mowing the lawn (literally ... that's not a euphemism).

Month/phase 3 of the program I'm on is back with some lifting... first two phases were more HIIT.  Day 1 was incline DB, deadlift, and db curls.  5 x <failure> for the weight that is 10 rep max.  I ended up doing 10 reps every set, so I probably could've upped my weights a little.

Today, it's shoulder press, squats, high pulls.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1346 on: May 14, 2020, 03:58:24 AM »
I'm pretty aware of the fact I should really only drink when I already feel great (and when I'm socializing) and wanna get just less inhibited. Alcohol improves my mood so much that I don't wanna get into a spiral of drinking to feel less crappy, because that happens a lot and alcohol shouldn't happen as often. Never tried pot though, I have the feeling I would be the worst stoner on the planet.

Starting to work out today. I just wanna do cardio because I'm terrible at cardio. We'll see about all that other shit when I have access to a gym and feel safe going.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: May 14, 2020, 05:32:09 AM »

I ride my bike all the time high, it's great.  Sometimes I feel so much more motivated if I'm slightly baked before a work out, although it's not something I really do as I try to do my workouts before my relax time, but sometimes during my relax time I get the urge to hit the bike or something. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: May 14, 2020, 05:37:49 AM »
I got squirelly once in Uni, then decided to go to the gym.  From the time I entered the locker room to change (which felt like it took me 10 minutes to get dressed), then worked out, then showered... felt like the most intense 2hr-ish workout ever.  I was absolutely buzzed - from the dope and the workout.

Turned out I was there 25 minutes.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: May 14, 2020, 06:19:54 AM »
I used to work out high all the time but now I realize I was only fooling myself when I thought it made me better or more focused

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: May 14, 2020, 07:22:59 PM »
MAN! I can't stop eating! 17k steps tonight and I just scarfed down a loaded plate in no time. But not the kind of stoned out eat-a-whole-pizza type eating. Feels good man. Even got my headspace down to earth enough to focus on classical piano practice again. Gonna take tomorrow evening to rest before I try to shatter that 17k on Saturday!!

Gonna buy a quality foam roller very soon and a tennis ball. Really gonna stretch those tight muscles. Gonna hurt so good.

EDIT: Next day now - shortness of breath is noticeably improved, whereas yesterday it was tough (muggy weather didn't help). No idea if it's the pleurisy going away (if it didn't go away a while ago) or complications from quitting smoking that are getting better but either way it's improvement and I'm so happy. I can, most of the time, get a full, satisfying breath of air. Progress  :hat
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:43:04 PM by Kattelox »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: May 15, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1352 on: May 16, 2020, 12:57:13 AM »
Kattelox, that's awesome.  I'm glad you're starting to feel better with the breathing.  Also, mangos are delicious. :)

I had a little workout break through today.  I'm not on the level of anyone here, but it was an improvement for me and I was pretty pleased.

I've been trying to stick to 5 times a week throughout the stay at home situation and so far I've kept to it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: May 16, 2020, 05:19:03 AM »
Kattelox, that's awesome.  I'm glad you're starting to feel better with the breathing.  Also, mangos are delicious. :)

I had a little workout break through today.  I'm not on the level of anyone here, but it was an improvement for me and I was pretty pleased.

I've been trying to stick to 5 times a week throughout the stay at home situation and so far I've kept to it.

Good on ya!  Consistency is very important.  Make it a habit.   :tup

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: May 16, 2020, 05:57:03 AM »
Thanks guys, it's slowly gotten better. I'll probably give it another week before slowly trying to ease back into things.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: May 16, 2020, 04:32:06 PM »
Best wishes, Reaper!!

20k steps today. Still not sure when this shortness of breath will let up but it seems to be better; after 3 hours of walking though I'm feeling it. Early bedtime tonight, taking a rest tomorrow.

My dreams have been absolutely bonkers this week, too. They weren't lying...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: May 17, 2020, 04:15:34 AM »
13km run yesterday (8 miles).  Time was 1 hour 19 minutes and 8 seconds.  6 minutes a km, pretty slow but still alright since I was pacing for a bigger run.  I don't know how people run marathons, jeez.

Hmmm....wanted a distance PB but only did 12km today.  The time was 1 hour 9 minutes and 40 seconds so based on this, I would have smashed this time if I did another km.  I actually forgot I did a 13km until I went back and searched for this post.  My left leg has been getting crazy tightness which has been impossible to release which flared up about 5km into my run which really didn't help today.  Oh well, next week I will try again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: May 17, 2020, 05:09:46 AM »
Thanks guys, it's slowly gotten better. I'll probably give it another week before slowly trying to ease back into things.

That's good to hear mate.  Kind of ironic, I did something similar on Thursday.  It's around my lat so dunno if I've done rib damage or maybe torn part of ny lat.  Felt it flaring up when swimming but kept training.  I was trying to just stretch it out when I felt a rip.  It was like tearing a bed sheet.  Can't lift ny arm well or lift anything.  Coughing and sneezing hurst like a mofi too.

Oh well, that's what I get for being stubborn.  No pull ups for me this week.  Running is the main course I think.  I thought a couple of days might be enough but it's not.  Never had a tearing feeling like that before.

That actually probably made my run harder too.  Felt it when running but was manageable.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: May 17, 2020, 05:32:34 AM »
Damn wolf, I shuddering reading "tearing a bed sheet" Take it easy and get better soon. Probably try and rest more than you think you need so you don't cause more damage.

Best wishes, Reaper!!

20k steps today. Still not sure when this shortness of breath will let up but it seems to be better; after 3 hours of walking though I'm feeling it. Early bedtime tonight, taking a rest tomorrow.

My dreams have been absolutely bonkers this week, too. They weren't lying...

I'm sorry if I missed it, are you having crazy dreams from going sober?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: May 17, 2020, 05:42:14 AM »
Yeah my body is just telling, or yelling at me to slow down.  I cringe everytime I think about that ripping sensation I felt.  I'll be sweet cheers mate.  It is what it is.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: May 17, 2020, 05:44:08 AM »
It's strange to think the worst injuries I've ever had were from doing the most mundane thing. Recently it was from pushups but I remember a few years back I went to grab my coffee from my end table and heard a pop in my lower back and I was pretty much out for 2 days straight. This was at the time when I was training heavy and hitting the gym almost daily.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: May 17, 2020, 05:49:17 AM »
It's strange to think the worst injuries I've ever had were from doing the most mundane thing. Recently it was from pushups but I remember a few years back I went to grab my coffee from my end table and heard a pop in my lower back and I was pretty much out for 2 days straight. This was at the time when I was training heavy and hitting the gym almost daily.

When I threw my back out 6 years ago, I was reaching in to the trunk of my van to pull out a cardboard sign.  I was completely fucked for a couple of weeks, and didn't get back to normal for almost 2 months.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: May 17, 2020, 06:48:54 AM »
Yeah Reaper. My dreams are the most intense they've been in years. Like, they're not quite lucid dreams, but I do feel like they're 100% real. Last night for example I pissed off Luke Hemsworth so bad that he punched two of my teeth out and I woke up hours later found by my parents, and then in Poltergeist fashion my gums and lips started falling off in pieces. Woke up freaking out feeling my teeth to make sure they're still there :lol

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: May 17, 2020, 07:38:55 AM »
:lol :lol thats hilarious

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: May 17, 2020, 06:54:48 PM »

When I threw my back out 6 years ago, I was reaching in to the trunk of my van to pull out a cardboard sign.  I was completely fucked for a couple of weeks, and didn't get back to normal for almost 2 months.

Yeah, it always seems the way.  I mean you have aches and pains all the time from training but just doing a simple thing like trying to stretch my side out caused such pain, it's just like WTF?  :lol

I pulled my back out getting out of bed once.  Heard a click and was almost paralyzed.  Laid back down and movement for the next week or so was so limited.  Nuts.