Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 189035 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now wth Nutrition!
« Reply #665 on: December 09, 2019, 07:37:02 AM »
Running rocks imo... throw on the music and just go. Especially out here in the country. In 5 minutes I can be out in the corn fields
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #666 on: December 09, 2019, 07:48:56 AM »
Reading this thread has been really inspiring guys!  I am currently very out of shape and overweight.  I used to work out all the time and run when I was younger, but becoming a husband, father and providing just took priority I guess.

Now I have a LOT of work to do.  I'm at 270lbs right now.  My ideal is about 190 but I'd be happy if I got down to 220 again.

Any pointers to get started?  I'll need to start slow otherwise I'll probably hurt myself.

I think your food is the one thing you have the most control over. Adding more vegetables to your meals and eliminating fried food is a good way to start (I don't know if these apply to you but just a suggestion). Maybe buy some sort of equipment you can use at home and doesn't take a lot of space. I've seen people use this kind for physical theraphy but continue using it afterwards.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: December 09, 2019, 10:17:10 AM »
Reading this thread has been really inspiring guys!  I am currently very out of shape and overweight.  I used to work out all the time and run when I was younger, but becoming a husband, father and providing just took priority I guess.

Now I have a LOT of work to do.  I'm at 270lbs right now.  My ideal is about 190 but I'd be happy if I got down to 220 again.

Any pointers to get started?  I'll need to start slow otherwise I'll probably hurt myself.

I think your food is the one thing you have the most control over. Adding more vegetables to your meals and eliminating fried food is a good way to start (I don't know if these apply to you but just a suggestion). Maybe buy some sort of equipment you can use at home and doesn't take a lot of space. I've seen people use this kind for physical theraphy but continue using it afterwards.

I'll echo that advice and add to it...
  • Remove soda from your diet (especially diet soda... if your going to drink it, drink the real thing in moderation.  Perhaps try to replace soda with real Q Ginger Ale or Kombucha)
    Add water to your diet, the more the better.
    Try a whole food plant-based diet the majority of the time (personally, I found equalibrium with eating meat only 1 or 2 times a week)
    Try to limit sugar intake as much as possible; and when you do eat it, eat the real thing
    Avoid anything that says "diet" on it.  It will likely be filled with artificial sugar (which your body processes in the same way as real sugar with a few nasty by-products)
    Don't be afraid of good fats... Eggs, avocados, Bone Broth (make your own and you'll save a bundle), etc.  Your body needs good fats... and your brain needs them.
    Take a hour or so on the weekends and plan the week's meal schedule, then shop for that schedule (if you've already spent the money, you're less likely to break the schedule and eat fast)
    Chickpeas man... find a few recipes for crunchy chickpeas that you like and use them to replace meat
    Time Restricted eating may help you as well (8-hour window to eat, 16-hour window to fast)
    Drink your coffee black (slow cold brew methods taste the best IMO, plus you can add flavoring to the cold brew like Vanilla Beans)
    Push-ups, body-weight Squats, and Pull-ups require little to no equipment... the Gorilla Bow would also allow you to be portable.
    Try the 7-minute Workout App

Enjoy it... put some tunes in your ears and enjoy the work-outs.  Reward yourself weekly and look forward to that Chai Latte (made with real cream) and Lemon Bar from your local bakery once every couple of weeks.  You can change anything you want to change if you plan it, write it down (then the thoughts are physical things that you can see), and use that plan.  One day at a time and build the habit.  It's never too late to change yourself, to better yourself.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: December 09, 2019, 10:41:22 AM »

I'll echo that advice and add to it...
  • Remove soda from your diet (especially diet soda... if your going to drink it, drink the real thing in moderation.  Perhaps try to replace soda with real Q Ginger Ale or Kombucha)
    Add water to your diet, the more the better.
    Try a whole food plant-based diet the majority of the time (personally, I found equalibrium with eating meat only 1 or 2 times a week)
    Try to limit sugar intake as much as possible; and when you do eat it, eat the real thing
    Avoid anything that says "diet" on it.  It will likely be filled with artificial sugar (which your body processes in the same way as real sugar with a few nasty by-products)
    Don't be afraid of good fats... Eggs, avocados, Bone Broth (make your own and you'll save a bundle), etc.  Your body needs good fats... and your brain needs them.
    Take a hour or so on the weekends and plan the week's meal schedule, then shop for that schedule (if you've already spent the money, you're less likely to break the schedule and eat fast)
    Chickpeas man... find a few recipes for crunchy chickpeas that you like and use them to replace meat
    Time Restricted eating may help you as well (8-hour window to eat, 16-hour window to fast)
    Drink your coffee black (slow cold brew methods taste the best IMO, plus you can add flavoring to the cold brew like Vanilla Beans)
    Push-ups, body-weight Squats, and Pull-ups require little to no equipment... the Gorilla Bow would also allow you to be portable.
    Try the 7-minute Workout App

Enjoy it... put some tunes in your ears and enjoy the work-outs.  Reward yourself weekly and look forward to that Chai Latte (made with real cream) and Lemon Bar from your local bakery once every couple of weeks.  You can change anything you want to change if you plan it, write it down (then the thoughts are physical things that you can see), and use that plan.  One day at a time and build the habit.  It's never too late to change yourself, to better yourself.

That's some solid advice and even more solid list formatting :lol

I've been doing most of the advice offered in the post above since late September, started at 82kg/180lbs and floating around 72kg/158lbs now. Hopefully I can get down to 70kg before the year is over.

I'd love to get into running but it's getting a bit too cold here now. I'm set on starting in the early spring though, will probably hit a PM to Kade for some advice too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: December 09, 2019, 11:00:06 AM »
 :lol  Yeah... soon my grammar and knowledge of popular culture will fall off and I'll be knighted as TAC's successor.  :lol
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #670 on: December 09, 2019, 11:02:03 AM »
Good on ya Ruslan.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: December 09, 2019, 11:19:47 AM »
I've found running to just be hard on my ankles/knees which aren't the greatest to begin with.  Using an exercise bike allows me to watch TV and not be hard on my joints. 

I'd echo a lot of what vtgrad said.

Start slow, just slowly one by one eliminate the bad stuff from your diet.  I don't know about you, but for me it started with soda, then fast food, then pizza, then I started swapping my lunches with full healthy lunches, then the same for dinner, then I got even more hardcore and made my lunches oatmeal only with a banana.  Super low calorie and doesn't keep my starving.  Plus lots and lots of water.  Slowly just keep making the healthier adjustment as you get used to your previous adjustment.

Same with exercise, start slow and simple and work your way into more and more as your body adapts.

You'll find great success if you combine the exercise and diet.

Personally, I'm not a fad diet guy either.  Just keep the calories down and eat stuff that is just healthy in general, lean meats veggies and whole grains. 

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #672 on: December 09, 2019, 11:25:56 AM »
Wow everyone, thanks for the advice and support!

My diet is generally ok except my sugar intake.  That is my biggest weakness.  However, soda isn't a problem for me.  But my portion size could also use some improvement.  I'm the only fat one in my family.  My wife and all my kids have a healthy weight.

When I was in shape before I got married, I liked lifting weights and running.  I have a desk job, so I'm quite sedentary which is another big problem.  However, I normally work from home which means I could fit in exercise during my breaks.

I like the myfitnesspal idea, I will learn how to use it.

I don't think a gym membership will help me all that much, because I doubt I would go because I don't drive.  But I am not opposed to buying home gym equipment, I have the space in my home and I think i would probably use it if I had it.  Any recommendations?

I've been looking at the Marcy MD-9010G but I'm open to anything that will give me a fairly complete workout and isn't thousands of dollars.

There is a cemetery about a block away that I could go running at, and I don't mind running in the winter as long as I can keep my lungs from freezing, any advice?

I agree about starting slow, I definitely need to.  The cemetery has a lot of roads in it so it would be easy to divide up into small manageable progressing sections.

I want to kick myself though for loosing my good habits I had when I was younger.  I used to lift weights every day with my brother and run 3 miles a day and I looked and felt great.

My wife really liked the way I looked which is one of the reasons why she married me and I would really like to look like that again for her.  Saying that though, she doesn't complain to me about my weight and is very supportive.  But, if she still looks good after 7 kids, then what excuse do I have? :).
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: December 09, 2019, 11:32:36 AM »
Good luck and keep us updated.  I find that if I make updates here, or with friends, I open myself up to public shaming which keeps me motivated to keep going.  Once you start finding your flow and some pounds come off, you'll start having people notice and that's another good motivation.  Someone just earlier mentioned my fitness change today, makes me want to continue.  Now if only I can get the girls to notice.... but seriously, I've noticed in the last month getting checked out from girls that I never noticed before.  Also a good feeling and motivator to keep going.  I know you're married but hey if you can get the wife to want to hit the bedroom a bit more, that works too.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #674 on: December 09, 2019, 01:55:02 PM »
Good luck and keep us updated.  I find that if I make updates here, or with friends, I open myself up to public shaming which keeps me motivated to keep going.  Once you start finding your flow and some pounds come off, you'll start having people notice and that's another good motivation.  Someone just earlier mentioned my fitness change today, makes me want to continue.  Now if only I can get the girls to notice.... but seriously, I've noticed in the last month getting checked out from girls that I never noticed before.  Also a good feeling and motivator to keep going.  I know you're married but hey if you can get the wife to want to hit the bedroom a bit more, that works too.

I will.  Once I buy some running shoes and get started, I'll begin posting regular updates.  And yeah, more bedroom time would be nice!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #675 on: December 09, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »
I just ate (5) Cake Pops that a co-worker gave to me as a gift to share with the family.  :(
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: December 09, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »
VTGrad, why the hate on the diet stuff?  I know it's still no good  for you but early on some diet drinks were pivotal to helping me control some calories and still drink something a bit sweet.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: December 09, 2019, 04:31:59 PM »
VTGrad, why the hate on the diet stuff?  I know it's still no good  for you but early on some diet drinks were pivotal to helping me control some calories and still drink something a bit sweet.

Prolly the chemical sweetener aspect.

Two more things for ya Lion (and everyone).  Two aha/epiphany moments I had in my weight loss journey (I went from 235 to 180 about 15 years ago - fell off the wagon a few years back, but I'm back down to the 180 range).

1.  It takes your brain 15 minutes to get the signal from your stomach that you're full.  So, cut your portion sizes, and STOP EATING BEFORE FEELING FULL.  30 minutes later, if you're still hungry, have a small snack.  I guaran-damn-tee this is a good way to get portion control under control.
2.  People often confuse the feeling of thirst for the feeling of hunger.  If you feel hungry - drink water.  Not only does it get your water intake in, and ergo, your metabolism up... it also satiates you.

This has been jingle.boy's nutrition tip of the evening.  Hey... who's the certified nutrition guru?  I forget which poster it is.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: December 09, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
I know it's the artificial sweetener thing but I think that's overstated.  Long term effects may be a bit different but from a viewpoint of someone trying to cut calories yet slowly change their tastes and habits, for me they were vital.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: December 09, 2019, 05:23:26 PM »
Wow everyone, thanks for the advice and support!

My diet is generally ok except my sugar intake.  That is my biggest weakness.  However, soda isn't a problem for me.  But my portion size could also use some improvement.  I'm the only fat one in my family.  My wife and all my kids have a healthy weight.

When I was in shape before I got married, I liked lifting weights and running.  I have a desk job, so I'm quite sedentary which is another big problem.  However, I normally work from home which means I could fit in exercise during my breaks.

I like the myfitnesspal idea, I will learn how to use it.

I don't think a gym membership will help me all that much, because I doubt I would go because I don't drive.  But I am not opposed to buying home gym equipment, I have the space in my home and I think i would probably use it if I had it.  Any recommendations?

I've been looking at the Marcy MD-9010G but I'm open to anything that will give me a fairly complete workout and isn't thousands of dollars.

There is a cemetery about a block away that I could go running at, and I don't mind running in the winter as long as I can keep my lungs from freezing, any advice?

I agree about starting slow, I definitely need to.  The cemetery has a lot of roads in it so it would be easy to divide up into small manageable progressing sections.

I want to kick myself though for loosing my good habits I had when I was younger.  I used to lift weights every day with my brother and run 3 miles a day and I looked and felt great.

My wife really liked the way I looked which is one of the reasons why she married me and I would really like to look like that again for her.  Saying that though, she doesn't complain to me about my weight and is very supportive.  But, if she still looks good after 7 kids, then what excuse do I have? :).

Sounds like you've been in shape and had a good fitness routine in the past mate, do you know what to do.  Just motivate yourself to get back into some sort of routine that works for you.

Just cut back your sugar where you can and be mindful of it, and it will make a difference.  I just limit my sugar on the weekends.  Just allow yourself certain times to have it.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: December 10, 2019, 10:22:03 AM »

Prolly the chemical sweetener aspect.

Two more things for ya Lion (and everyone).  Two aha/epiphany moments I had in my weight loss journey (I went from 235 to 180 about 15 years ago - fell off the wagon a few years back, but I'm back down to the 180 range).

1.  It takes your brain 15 minutes to get the signal from your stomach that you're full.  So, cut your portion sizes, and STOP EATING BEFORE FEELING FULL.  30 minutes later, if you're still hungry, have a small snack.  I guaran-damn-tee this is a good way to get portion control under control.
2.  People often confuse the feeling of thirst for the feeling of hunger.  If you feel hungry - drink water.  Not only does it get your water intake in, and ergo, your metabolism up... it also satiates you.

This has been jingle.boy's nutrition tip of the evening.  Hey... who's the certified nutrition guru?  I forget which poster it is.

Bingo!

Just a personal opinion based on my own research and experiences... added sugars (aka chem sweeteners) are high GI Index and cause rapid blood-sugar spikes, which then cause you to crash-and-crave again much sooner than true sugar foods (fruit lets say, which contains fiber and water).  Also, there's compelling evidence that all types of sugar, when consumed in large quantities, aids in growth of cancer cells.  Just research, not fact, but it would make sense as cells feed on sugar as energy (ergo cancerous cells would feed on the sugar as well).  Chem sweeteners are also processed more vigorously by the liver than "real" sugar which puts added stress on the organ.  Because of the way the body processes chem sugars, a calorie of chem sugar isn't really the same as a calorie of "real" sugar.  Just my two cents from my own research... not hate, just avoidance.  :biggrin:

To give another scenario... my brother is a Process Engineer for Gatorade and has told me many stories regarding the sugar substitutes that they receive when mixing the product.  These substitutes, when spilled, permanently stain anything they touch; even industrial chemical cleaners cannot remove the stains from the floor of the plant (which I have seen).  That convinced me to try and stay away from chem sugar as much as possible.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: December 10, 2019, 02:47:15 PM »
I agree for the most part and I've read all the articles but as I said, in moderation when trying to stick to a diet plan and a calorie defeceit, I don't see the problem.  Going from an overweight sugar fiend to a clean eating lean protein and vegetables man wasn't easy and it needed aids along the way to get there.  Diet change doesn't happen overnight.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #682 on: December 12, 2019, 12:43:13 PM »
I agree for the most part and I've read all the articles but as I said, in moderation when trying to stick to a diet plan and a calorie defeceit, I don't see the problem.  Going from an overweight sugar fiend to a clean eating lean protein and vegetables man wasn't easy and it needed aids along the way to get there.  Diet change doesn't happen overnight.

Very true, it won't be easy for me.  My bad health habits have been a long time in the making.

But I am going to start trying the oatmeal for one meal out of the day route that was mentioned.  I could put a banana/apple/strawberries on it to help flavor it instead of using brown sugar.  I can at least make a relatively small change like that to help begin making a transition.

And when I get my running shoes I will just jog with my wife on one of my breaks each day, and that will be step two.

starting to work from home actually helped my sugar intake considerably though.  I used to go visit a cupcake shop close to my office almost daily because they had the most amazing brownies.  And there was a local bakery that had amazing cinnamon rolls, and there is also an icecream shop near by... you get the idea.  Being at home makes those places a lot less accessible.

I've only been working from home about a month now, so I'm hoping in the long run this will help me begin sheding the pounds also.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: December 12, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
Oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder .... yum.  Seriously.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: December 12, 2019, 07:00:10 PM »
I'm happy I actually enjoy eating oatmeal.  I use one serving of plain instant oats, which is 150 calories and one banana.  That's my lunch at work.  So cheap, effective, and not terrible in terms of taste with the banana in there.  It's not anything special obviously, but it does the job.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: December 12, 2019, 11:23:46 PM »

Gotta get the right type of protein though.  Some don't work very well.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: December 13, 2019, 05:32:31 AM »
Ha, bachelors.  ::)

Mrs. P sent me to work yesterday with a slice of turkey pot pie. 400 calories, 2 grams of carbs. I scoff at your puny oatmeal.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: December 13, 2019, 07:37:16 AM »

True, some brands clump badly.  I use LeanFit (sold inexpensively at Costco), which is fine enough that it mixes really well.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #688 on: December 13, 2019, 05:07:29 PM »

Mrs. P sent me to work yesterday with a slice of turkey pot pie. 400 calories, 2 grams of carbs. I scoff at your puny oatmeal.

:rollin

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: December 14, 2019, 02:03:14 AM »

True, some brands clump badly.  I use LeanFit (sold inexpensively at Costco), which is fine enough that it mixes really well.

I use different brands and rotate all the time.  I can never settle on one brand or flavour, I get bored and have to change it up.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: December 14, 2019, 05:23:04 AM »

Very true, it won't be easy for me.  My bad health habits have been a long time in the making.

But I am going to start trying the oatmeal for one meal out of the day route that was mentioned.  I could put a banana/apple/strawberries on it to help flavor it instead of using brown sugar.  I can at least make a relatively small change like that to help begin making a transition.

And when I get my running shoes I will just jog with my wife on one of my breaks each day, and that will be step two.

starting to work from home actually helped my sugar intake considerably though.  I used to go visit a cupcake shop close to my office almost daily because they had the most amazing brownies.  And there was a local bakery that had amazing cinnamon rolls, and there is also an icecream shop near by... you get the idea.  Being at home makes those places a lot less accessible.

I've only been working from home about a month now, so I'm hoping in the long run this will help me begin sheding the pounds also.

You sound motivated so it's doable. There is way more sound advice in this thread than scetchy. Stick with the science, be wary of schemes that want you to pay money for help, and I'm sure you can find something right for you.

As for me, what has always worked is having Mrs. P on board with whatever fitness/health road I'm on. For example, it's not helpful for me to be avoiding sugar and have her stashing Oreo's in the cupboard where the flax seeds are... or putting out bowls, bigger than my face, full of peanut-butter M&M's. When we're on the same page, it all goes smoothly. Plus, she and I enjoy sharing our successes together which is a big motivator.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: December 15, 2019, 03:49:20 PM »

I have no idea what that is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #692 on: December 15, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »

Sounds like a half a turkey sandwich on a roll up with lettuce.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: December 15, 2019, 10:31:02 PM »

Sounds like a half a turkey sandwich on a roll up with lettuce.  :lol

Only 2 grams of carbs though.  I'm intrigued.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: December 16, 2019, 05:27:21 AM »
Only 2 grams of carbs though.  I'm intrigued.

Mrs. P made a crust from browned butter and a combo of almond flower/coconut flower, salt and water. The gravy was whole cream, turkey both, spices and EZ-Gel for a thickening agent. Turkey, white mushrooms and a bit of chopped broccoli for crunch and color. She probably got the recipe off one of the thousands of Keto food sites.

I was purely guessing at the nutritional value based on just a general knowledge gained while dieting. In actuality, while low, it probably had more that 2 net carbs, but not much. It didn't kick me out of ketosis, so that was the important part.

Edit: Mrs. P just woke up and I asked her about the pie. She said there was some white flower in the crust and some celery and onions that I missed in the veggies. She calculates that, per slice, the crust was about 4 net carbs. The veggies, maybe 3 at the most. The gravy and turkey, none. So, at the most (again per slice) 7 net carbs.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 05:46:50 AM by Podaar »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: December 16, 2019, 03:08:34 PM »
Carbs in the cream no? Or just fat based?

How long have you been doing keto mate? And what's your goals and what benefits have you seen?

Offline H2

« Reply #696 on: December 16, 2019, 10:27:19 PM »
So having some distance from the keto thing, I think I can take a more objective stance on it. And my stance is....keto good, but not for two long. I'd say two months max if I were to do it again. Now if there were someone who was super overweight, I'd say keep on it until the weight is healthy...but keto didn't seem to play well with other athletic goals I had, like running endurance and strength goals. Once I got off it, I was able to hit baseline pretty quickly but yeah--keto is not going to be a lifestyle thing for me but just a backpocket trick in case I ever find myself unhealthily overweight again.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: December 17, 2019, 03:19:31 AM »
So having some distance from the keto thing, I think I can take a more objective stance on it. And my stance is....keto good, but not for two long. I'd say two months max if I were to do it again. Now if there were someone who was super overweight, I'd say keep on it until the weight is healthy...but keto didn't seem to play well with other athletic goals I had, like running endurance and strength goals. Once I got off it, I was able to hit baseline pretty quickly but yeah--keto is not going to be a lifestyle thing for me but just a backpocket trick in case I ever find myself unhealthily overweight again.

This seems like good info, makes total sense, especially with the athletic goals.  I'm pretty lean now and trying to drop the last of my stomach fat, and I'm reading a little on keto cycling too.  Thinkong like a 5 day thing then the extra carbs on the weekend, something like that.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: December 17, 2019, 05:32:34 AM »
Carbs in the cream no? Or just fat based?

Zero carbs in cream.

How long have you been doing keto mate? And what's your goals and what benefits have you seen?

I've been in ketosis non-stop since August 7th, or there abouts. My primary motivation was age.  :lol 

Let me explain. My doctor told me I was at the tipping point of getting diabetes (5.7 A1c) and was insisting I eat more veggies (which I already was doing) and get exercise (which I wasn't, really). Now, I already knew there was only so much exercise I could do without making myself worse off--a dodgy hip and knee you understand--so I was casting around for some help. Right away, Mrs. P and I did start walking the dog every morning for around 3 miles per day. We were golfing 18 holes three times per week and started walking the golf course when the temperature permitted. But in late July I was reading that Halle Berry has been fending off type 2 diabetes for years with the keto diet. We researched it, thought it made sense, threw out a shit load of sugary, starchy, processed foods and went shopping.

As of my most recent blood test my A1c's are an astounding 5.1! Cholestrol and blood pressure improved enough that my doctor is considering backing off my medications. I can more easily clean up after a BM because I've incidentally lost 10 inches around my belly and 4 inches around my waste... a little more than 2 stones. I have no acne anymore. I have less pain in my hands. All without tearing up my old joints with too much empty exercise (my term for exercise-for-exercise sake)

So really, my goals are to keep the ravages of old age at bay for as long as I can.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: December 17, 2019, 05:52:18 AM »

This seems like good info, makes total sense, especially with the athletic goals.  I'm pretty lean now and trying to drop the last of my stomach fat, and I'm reading a little on keto cycling too.  Thinkong like a 5 day thing then the extra carbs on the weekend, something like that.

Keto, is sustainable (in spite of what Chad may think) but probably not at the less-than-20-carbs level if you are athletic and looking to just trim up a bit, simply because you aren't getting enough protein and carbs to sustain extreme cardio and lifting. If your life is more sedentary, keto can become more of a lifestyle than just a diet. It's about being mindful of your health and the adverse effects of carbs on you as a person. It's primary lifestyle benefits, that I've noticed, is appetite suppression due to the amount of satisfying fat you eat. You just plain don't feel hungry which is hugely helpful for training oneself to better portion control. No sugar roller coaster, I haven't taken an ibuprofen for headache in three months! There is a huge community of really inspiring people out there to share your success with and most importantly, recipes! To make it work, it has to NOT be a punishment but a treat. Learning to prepare mouth watering keto meals and treats is key to sustainability because there's little packaged food that meets the need.

Anyway, I agree with you guys that if your goals are to loose that last little bit of body fat while you live a very athletic life... yeah, being in ketosis would not provide enough fuel.