Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188945 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now wth Nutrition!
« Reply #630 on: October 18, 2019, 12:54:43 PM »
By the way, Insanity; what was the result after the 60 days/cycle?  Where you in great shape?  Was it just weight loss?   I can't imagine doing that kind of cycle unless the payoff was something tangible.

It was weight loss for me. I'm 43 and still in fairly good shape....especially when compared to my peers. I am way more active than most 30-40 year olds I know as far as exercise. I've just noticed over the past year-year and a half how much longer the aches and pains linger.

Another big change I'm dealing with is that.....in the past my running routine would help negate my poor nutritional choices. I had kind of a good little system going of eating basically what I wanted to and still had a 10 pound window of 160-170 that I'd linger around at. But now, It's more like a 175-185 window which has made me consider that my diet needs to be addressed because I simply can't maintain the exercise regiment I have historically kept. It's too demanding at the moment.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #631 on: October 18, 2019, 01:53:43 PM »
By the way, Insanity; what was the result after the 60 days/cycle?  Where you in great shape?  Was it just weight loss?   I can't imagine doing that kind of cycle unless the payoff was something tangible.

Fat loss for me as well.  And it sure as shit helped with the cardiovascular endurance.  There is some muscle building, but it's mostly fat loss.  I felt it helped with my overall health.  I have a fairly low resting heart rate, I don't easily get winded or have any trouble with any every-day activity, blood pressure is fine yada yada.  My current and former GP routinely tell/told me that I'm an extremely boring patient.  Just the way I want it to be.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: October 19, 2019, 10:13:25 AM »
First time in over a month that I lifted weights.  Definitely lost a bit of my ability but not as much as I expected (and it's not like I had a ton of ability here to begin with).  It's sadly amazing my pinky is still very very slightly hurt still from that babymetal show a month ago but definitely not bad enough to hold me back or to be any issue today.  I feel the best I've felt in awhile, no illness, no gout, no broken pinky, no excuses.

Offline H2

« Reply #633 on: October 20, 2019, 11:39:46 AM »
I did Insanity in the past under three different conditions:

1) First real workout program ever. I decided I wanted to cut, so I kept cals around 1800-2000. I definitely got fit, and to this day I don't think I've every been so lean. Six pack and everything. Cardio through the roof. My strength was pretty low, though, but I gained it back quickly. I was around 22.

2) After lifting for a year and a half, I ran the program on a maintenance diet. I got pretty fit, my numbers on the fit test were better than they were the first time around, and I think I looked the best I ever did after I finished the program. Not the leanest, but this was my prime, I think. I was around 24.

3) After lifting a lot, and a lot, and gaining a bunch of weight and strength, I did Insanity on a cutting. I did lose a lot, but I didn't feel that I looked that great at the end. Granted, I was a little inconsistent and had sloppy days with my diet. I did lose a lot of weight and was able to fit into a lot of old clothes. Didn't quite make it back to where I was, however. I was 27.

4) Now, I'm basically where I was before (2). I'm trying to eat at maintenance. I hope I can get into the shape I was in at 24. That was awesome.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #634 on: October 20, 2019, 08:36:51 PM »
I felt like the day I turned 30 I immediately had the same issues Jingle is saying, but I'm guessing at 40 it just gets another notch worse.

I'm 28 but feel 22. What do I have to look forward to?

In about 2 years, crushing disappointment  :tup

It's nice guys to read about your determination and some of your struggles in anyways.  But I can tell you that when I turned 50 it was the first time I really didn't like it.  Like I was thinking:  Ya, I'm really heading to the old ones now.  I do train with many guys and galls of any ages.  Of course, the ones in their 20's seem to have endless energy.  The guys in their 30's, they all notice that partying is not easy to recover when you train or run the day after.  The 40's look at me and wonder how I do it but they have no idea that I feel old from time to time and have to take a nap often in the afternoon to recover lol.  And the people of my age, they do what I do and probably from time to time are saying to themselves, What in the world am I here today?  But you know, I would not change a thing and don't change a thing.  Move and enjoy life and be happy about what you do because even if you do not finish among the best like you would like, you still finish ahead of how you would end up if you would do nothing. 
 :lol enjoy those two years of being young
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #635 on: October 20, 2019, 08:40:39 PM »

It was weight loss for me. I'm 43 and still in fairly good shape....especially when compared to my peers. I am way more active than most 30-40 year olds I know as far as exercise. I've just noticed over the past year-year and a half how much longer the aches and pains linger.

Another big change I'm dealing with is that.....in the past my running routine would help negate my poor nutritional choices. I had kind of a good little system going of eating basically what I wanted to and still had a 10 pound window of 160-170 that I'd linger around at. But now, It's more like a 175-185 window which has made me consider that my diet needs to be addressed because I simply can't maintain the exercise regiment I have historically kept. It's too demanding at the moment.

I understand you.  If I do not pay attention about what I eat and in my case I'm talking about way to much bread and pasta (my 2 favorites things), I can't get to my 160-165 weight.  You just can't eat whatever you want everyday and especially during the evening.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #636 on: October 22, 2019, 05:22:17 PM »
Got an elliptical recently and at first I really loved it, but now have been running into issues with foot numbness while using it and then foot pain afterward.

This wasn't an issue when I was doing a max of 10mins at a time, but now my endurance is letting me go 20 mins and over and now I am having issues. The crazy thing is it is just my right foot. No issue at all with the left.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #637 on: October 22, 2019, 06:52:01 PM »
It's nice guys to read about your determination and some of your struggles in anyways.  But I can tell you that when I turned 50 it was the first time I really didn't like it.  Like I was thinking:  Ya, I'm really heading to the old ones now.  I do train with many guys and galls of any ages.  Of course, the ones in their 20's seem to have endless energy.  The guys in their 30's, they all notice that partying is not easy to recover when you train or run the day after.  The 40's look at me and wonder how I do it but they have no idea that I feel old from time to time and have to take a nap often in the afternoon to recover lol.  And the people of my age, they do what I do and probably from time to time are saying to themselves, What in the world am I here today?  But you know, I would not change a thing and don't change a thing.  Move and enjoy life and be happy about what you do because even if you do not finish among the best like you would like, you still finish ahead of how you would end up if you would do nothing. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #638 on: October 29, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »
What do you guys like to do Nutrition wise?

For me I've been doing majority protein (Whey, beef, eggs or egg whites, lots of chicken and salmon as well)

Carbs wise I'm still trying to figure out. but I've been doing (Apples, bananas, carrots, salads and now oatmeal)

Not a lot of fats

I'm now finally starting to focus on nutrition just as much as the working out part.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: October 29, 2019, 10:10:36 AM »
I'm now finally starting to focus on nutrition just as much as the working out part.

This is a MUST for me to do. I HAVE to figure this out. I simply can't eat the way I've been eating any longer. I NEED to craft a new approach.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: October 29, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »
I'm no expert on nutrition, but I've been finding my oatmeal lunches to be so powerful in weight loss and in my life in general.  For one, I actually enjoy it so that makes it much easier to eat.  Second, it's a good carb, so if you want a balanced diet, getting some whole grains is a good way to go.  Also I add a banana to it, which gives me my fruit serving.  It helps with hunger cravings as well being high in fiber.  And lastly, it's super cheap.  Great for my wallet.  The big container of 1 minute oats is like 4 bucks and covers my lunches for a few weeks plus a banana a day is about 50 cents per day.  Comes out to around 12 bucks for 3 weeks of light lunches.

Having said that, it's so hard to keep a good diet working 70 hours while traveling for work and expensing all your meals.  I read a study recently about how being tired makes you crave higher calorie foods.  I definitely can attest to that study.  One more business trip next week, but this week I am staying in line and looking to get back into line after my next trip to end the year strong hopefully.  I got another compliment on my weight loss today from a vendor I hadn't seen in a couple months.  Good motivation to keep going even though I haven't been on top of my game.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #641 on: October 29, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »
What do you guys like to do Nutrition wise?

Target macro mix around 40/30/30 (carb, fat, protein), but i cycle so much that my carbs usually end up closer to 50 and my fat lower. My on the bike fuel is almost pure carb.

Protein is mostly chicken and tons of Greek yogurt. And i mean tons. Breakfast is a banana pureed and mixed with plain greek yogurt and i eat 3 or 4 yogurt with cereal snacks during the day. I eat about 800g of the stuff each day.

My carbs are typically fruit sugar (apples and bananas mostly), salads and veggies (lots of asparagus, sprouts and broccoli) and some grains in the form of cereal i add to my yogurt. And I'll usually make a pizza on the weekend for the family. Also, i snack on frozen yogurt many nights during the week, and it's heavy carb mix.

Fats are from olive oil used in cooking and spoonfuls of peanut butter. On pizza weekends it tends to be higher, otherwise my fat intake is very low (<45g most days).

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #642 on: October 29, 2019, 10:34:07 AM »
Yeah, traveling for work would be hard on the diet. Workdays are the easiest for me since i don't bring my bank cards with me, so I'm limited to the lunch i bring. It really helps. I find that it's always the weekend that goes off the rails. Also, if i do a big ride (2+ hours) i find i always end up eating back every single burned calorie, and usually more. I'm trying to get that back on track.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: October 29, 2019, 10:39:52 AM »
I bounce back and forth from being very regimented and strict (ie, weighing my food, tracking my macros religiously, inputting them to my goal), to simply eating intuitively, and trying to stay within a range.  jingle.family cooking routines don't lend themselves to easily to the former, so I just try to minimize my simple carbs and fats (fat shows up enough naturally), get as much lean protein as I can, and let the rest happen as it does.  I don't eat much junk - sometimes nothing in a week, sometimes once or twice I'll have something that resembles candy.  Once or twice a month I have a reward meal - wings & beer last week at the Sabres hockey game.

It seems to be working out well, but if I want to get down to single digit body-fat for my 50th (I got 2 years), I'll need to go back to being strict with my intake.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: October 29, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »
I bounce back and forth from being very regimented and strict (ie, weighing my food, tracking my macros religiously, inputting them to my goal), to simply eating intuitively, and trying to stay within a range. 

This is me. I've had great stretches of time where I've done real good with diet and exercise. But, I've been extremely lax on my diet lately and have cut my exercise down a bit as well. This pesky lower back issue I've been having isn't really going away and it's annoying. I'm down to running twice a week and playing hockey on sunday nights.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #645 on: October 29, 2019, 10:51:48 AM »
I don't weigh all my food, but I do weigh and measure high risk items like oils, peanut butter and cheese. And I do all the cooking in the family, so it's easy to just follow my own recipes each time. And I do log all my exercise and nutrition in Under Armor's MyFitnessPal  and Record apps. Win or lose, my food for the day gets logged. Christmas day each year is crazy when I look at it compared to any other day of the year. I easily end up eating over 4k calories that day lol. Basically 2 or more days worth of food.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: November 02, 2019, 03:44:08 AM »
I generally favour a higher protein and fat and lower carb diet.  No real reason, I just prefer and feel better on mainly proteins and fats.  I like those kinds of foods more too.  Meat, nuts, peanut butter, protein shakes and veggies.  My carbs not counting veggies would come when I eat things like ice cream and chocolate, which is basically only weekends.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: November 02, 2019, 05:35:12 AM »
Shitty week... I got 3 really good lifting days in, no cardio, and finished it with 3 consecutive days off (not of my own choosing).  But, starting a cycle of p90x today - modified.  I've done it enough times to know what I like/don't like, and learned a lot since the last time I did it.  I'm modifying a handful of the moves, and gonna substitute the Plyo and Kenpo days (I never did like the latter all that much).  I'm torn on Yoga... really like it, and know I should do it... but it's 90 fucking minutes!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: November 02, 2019, 06:31:56 AM »
It's starting to get really cold here which is a bummer because it's tougher to do my runs outside, I hate running on a treadmill. Overall it's getting to be taht time of year where some additional pounds start creeping in.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #649 on: November 02, 2019, 08:13:40 AM »
I started biking to work year round last year, and i was actually surprised how much i enjoyed the winter riding. I did cut back to only 3 or 4 days per week, but the cold wasn't really an issue. I invested a bit of coin in some decent cold weather gear, and had no issues whatsoever. Deep snow was a bigger problem than temperature.

Back when i used to run i still did a weekly 10k on the weekend during the winter. Trails look different, and everything seems quieter in the winter. It's almost serene. If you can keep your feet warm, that is.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: November 03, 2019, 03:13:07 AM »
It's starting to get really cold here which is a bummer because it's tougher to do my runs outside, I hate running on a treadmill. Overall it's getting to be taht time of year where some additional pounds start creeping in.

Personally I much prefer running outside in winter than I do summer.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: November 03, 2019, 05:26:14 AM »

I do too but there comes a point where it's just too cold to run outside. The only time of day that I'm free to do my runs at is very early morning or at night.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: November 03, 2019, 05:42:09 AM »

Your experience with "Winter" (if you can even really call it that) is far different than those of us in North America - even as far south as Kay is.

Did p90x routine 1 (back/chest .... push/pull) after dinner last night.  Bad idea.  Need to let that fuel digest before these routines.  Spent most of the routine feeling like I was gonna toss chunks, and for at least 20 minutes after I was done.  Killer workout though - ultimately did 200ish reps of various pushups; 50ish reps of various pullups; 80ish reps of various rows.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #653 on: November 03, 2019, 06:35:23 AM »
Yesterday I had leg day for the first time in a few months and today I can't walk without looking like I have a mental condition.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: November 03, 2019, 08:55:20 AM »
Biked 11 miles yesterday and then went wild in the mosh pit for Sabston last night. No broken bones and a great day of working out.  :yarr

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: November 03, 2019, 01:24:16 PM »
You're right Chad.  I didn't really think of that.  I don't really get a winter.  It's starting to get hot for me now so doing a 5km run in my summer heat is a challenging task.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: December 08, 2019, 02:06:17 PM »
Through my whole "get in shape" process the last 6 months, I hardly weighed myself.  Don't actually know what I started at (I have an idea, probably around 230lbs) and in September I weighed myself for the first time in years and was sitting at 200.  Since September my diet/work out routine had gotten way less strict.  I had lots of vacation and work travel which meant poorer eating and less opportunity to work out.  However, the last month I really got back into it more consistently. My bike rides went from 5 miles to 10 miles and now I hit 20 miles last weekend and followed up with three straight days of 18 miles this weekend.  My diet hasn't been as strict (I follow the 1k calorie diet a few days a week) but overall still pretty decent with eating overall healthy meals.  I haven't been sick and overall been feeling good.  Got on the scale today, 195 lbs.  Still working on this, I really want to get to 180lbs and it's going to be tough but I'm also OK with the idea of losing weight more slowly now.  I did great work for great results over the summer, but I'd rather work on a more sustainable approach.  Just the idea that my body was able to bike 20 miles felt great.  I know that's not much for the cyclists and spinners out there, but for me, that's a nice achievement.  I do go on another work trip this week so I expect a bit of a rough patch here but I feel good and motivated to continue into 2020 and hopefully have a nice summer body come my 1 year mark of "get in shape". 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: December 08, 2019, 03:09:09 PM »
Did a 8km run in 44:59 yesterday.  Really happy with that personally.  Getting better and faster all the time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: December 08, 2019, 05:11:19 PM »
 :metal

but also reminded me of

https://youtu.be/GDpmVUEjagg?t=59

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: December 08, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
Did a 8km run in 44:59 yesterday.  Really happy with that personally.  Getting better and faster all the time.

I absolutely hate running. Nothing bores me more. That's just me tho.

I did an Insanity workout today..didn't follow it religiously though. I took more breaks than just the 30 seconds they allot for - no need to go for 2 mins of high intensity when my heart rate is already at 170.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #660 on: December 08, 2019, 10:08:23 PM »
Reading this thread has been really inspiring guys!  I am currently very out of shape and overweight.  I used to work out all the time and run when I was younger, but becoming a husband, father and providing just took priority I guess.

Now I have a LOT of work to do.  I'm at 270lbs right now.  My ideal is about 190 but I'd be happy if I got down to 220 again.

Any pointers to get started?  I'll need to start slow otherwise I'll probably hurt myself.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: December 09, 2019, 01:23:30 AM »
See Chad, how you feel about running I feel about Insanity and all those types of programs.  Can't stand them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: December 09, 2019, 04:15:53 AM »
Reading this thread has been really inspiring guys!  I am currently very out of shape and overweight.  I used to work out all the time and run when I was younger, but becoming a husband, father and providing just took priority I guess.

Now I have a LOT of work to do.  I'm at 270lbs right now.  My ideal is about 190 but I'd be happy if I got down to 220 again.

Any pointers to get started?  I'll need to start slow otherwise I'll probably hurt myself.

Don't think of the end goal or else it will seem too overwhelming.  Set small goals and think of everything one step at a time.  Step by step and you'll get there in the end.  Think about what you have to do for the current day to improve.

Starting slow is probably the best thing you can do.  Don't put pressure of a timeframe on yourself.  Give it time and work slow to start with.  Think about what you eat and even cut one thing out that you shouldn't be having to start with. Change one thing at a time and cut one thing at a time.  Drastic changes rarely work.

Start by simply walking perhaps and improve from there.  Remember, any activity you do is better than nothing.

Be true to yourself and don't lie to yourself.  Remember, it doesn'thappen overnight.  Good luck!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: December 09, 2019, 05:55:41 AM »
See Chad, how you feel about running I feel about Insanity and all those types of programs.  Can't stand them.

TASTESTM!!!

@ Northern Lion... some good advice from wolfking already.  Also, pay attention to your calories in.  You gained weight by consuming more than you're burning, now just do the opposite.  I hazard to guess you didn't track your calories as you gained weight, so "intuitive" eating is not likely going to help you shed your body fat.  Diligent tracking of caloric intake is usually pretty important in any fat-loss process.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #664 on: December 09, 2019, 07:30:59 AM »

Go download MyFitnessPal (it's free), and log your food diligently. It gets easier the more you use the app since it remembers the food you frequently eat and you can create meals and recipes for the foods you prepare most often. I log everyday, win or lose. Some people find it just discourages them to see a day where you've overeaten significantly, but I prefer to never wonder why I've lost or gained weight. I can just look in the trend on the app and clearly see the connection between my weight and my nutrition.