Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 190264 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now wth Nutrition!
« Reply #595 on: September 29, 2019, 05:48:53 AM »
You guys ever get this thing where you get into one dimension of exercise so much that you don't wanna do the other stuff? After building up my mileage to about an hour a session, all I wanna do is run, and lifting sounds like so much of a chore. I haven't lifted for like a week even though I know I should! How do you guys manage a balance?

Like Chad, I can't say I've ever had that.  I'm loving running more and more and went for my Sunday morning long run which cleared my head after my bad week.  It's amazing how a good long run outside can soothe the soul and kind of reset your mood and thinking.  However, I love hitting the weights and do religiously 5 times a week.

I think you just need to make time for both.  And really tell yourself that cutting back lifting and focusing more on running isn't going to be that beneficial for your body composition over time one would think, especially constant long steady runs.  I think you need to change your program in teh gym. If you've been doing strength do some more higher rep, crossfit style stuff.  Or vice versa.  Or if you've just been doing a set of 8 reps and resting and repeat, aim for maybe a strength program or something new to excite you again and get some progress back in the gym to make you interested again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline H2

« Reply #596 on: September 29, 2019, 08:26:32 AM »
You guys ever get this thing where you get into one dimension of exercise so much that you don't wanna do the other stuff? After building up my mileage to about an hour a session, all I wanna do is run, and lifting sounds like so much of a chore. I haven't lifted for like a week even though I know I should! How do you guys manage a balance?

Like Chad, I can't say I've ever had that.  I'm loving running more and more and went for my Sunday morning long run which cleared my head after my bad week.  It's amazing how a good long run outside can soothe the soul and kind of reset your mood and thinking.  However, I love hitting the weights and do religiously 5 times a week.

I think you just need to make time for both.  And really tell yourself that cutting back lifting and focusing more on running isn't going to be that beneficial for your body composition over time one would think, especially constant long steady runs.  I think you need to change your program in teh gym. If you've been doing strength do some more higher rep, crossfit style stuff.  Or vice versa.  Or if you've just been doing a set of 8 reps and resting and repeat, aim for maybe a strength program or something new to excite you again and get some progress back in the gym to make you interested again.
Thanks man. Hear you on the body composition thing. Dang. I've been doing Wendler's 5/3/1 for Beginners for some time now. I did get good results on a cut a few years ago while running that program. Do you have any recommendations for new programs?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: September 29, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »

Thanks man. Hear you on the body composition thing. Dang. I've been doing Wendler's 5/3/1 for Beginners for some time now. I did get good results on a cut a few years ago while running that program. Do you have any recommendations for new programs?

The funny thing is mate, I don't follow programs.  I find taking programs in and trying to follow them at the gym distracting and in the end I don't get the most out of my workout.  I do look up new exercises and ideas all the time but don't follow a program per se.  It's all pretty intuitive and I just like to get in and go hard.

When ai get stuck I'll just change things up and add supersets, dropsets just to push myself.  I've been trying to up my fitness lately so I've been adding in core work or things like burpees inbetween sets to keep the heart rate up but still aim for pushing good weight.  I'm pretty damn random actually.

Offline H2

« Reply #598 on: October 01, 2019, 03:15:17 PM »
I think you need to change your program in teh gym.
Do you have any recommendations for new programs?
The funny thing is mate, I don't follow programs.
So either (A) you're saying "pick a program" and "don't pick a program and do random stuff", or (B) you're saying "pick a program but don't do as I do, which is a bunch of random stuff".

If (A): does not compute
If (B): OK, so what programs would you recommend?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: October 01, 2019, 03:36:38 PM »
I think you need to change your program in teh gym.
Do you have any recommendations for new programs?
The funny thing is mate, I don't follow programs.
So either (A) you're saying "pick a program" and "don't pick a program and do random stuff", or (B) you're saying "pick a program but don't do as I do, which is a bunch of random stuff".

If (A): does not compute
If (B): OK, so what programs would you recommend?

I'm just saying a large majority of people find it better and will stick something out if they have a program but personally I don't, but I don't have the problem you have at the moment in regards to motivation.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: October 01, 2019, 03:41:46 PM »
I've never been a program or public gym person.  I just like to do my own thing and seeing success in that is motivation for me. 

Yesterday was my first day back on my 1k calorie diet plan and evening bike ride.  I thought it was be much harder than it was and that was motivation for me to keep at it.  Like maybe my body has adjusted enough that even though I went a bit wild with eating on vacation, I could still cut back without feeling like I was starving myself.

However, my finger is almost fully healed and I lifted some servers at work today with no issue but I don't want to risk it before traveling again, so my plan is not to touch weights until next week.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: October 01, 2019, 05:17:45 PM »
I've never been a program or public gym person.  I just like to do my own thing and seeing success in that is motivation for me. 

Yesterday was my first day back on my 1k calorie diet plan and evening bike ride.  I thought it was be much harder than it was and that was motivation for me to keep at it.  Like maybe my body has adjusted enough that even though I went a bit wild with eating on vacation, I could still cut back without feeling like I was starving myself.

However, my finger is almost fully healed and I lifted some servers at work today with no issue but I don't want to risk it before traveling again, so my plan is not to touch weights until next week.

How long will you be on 1000 calories a day? That's dangerously low.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: October 01, 2019, 05:28:33 PM »
Two more days, then I travel for work where I'm likely upping that quite a bit and will need it as it's going to be a super busy trip.  Then I'll go back down to 1k.

Essentially have been on that diet for 3 months before September and traveling.  Going to try to stick with it for October and November before the holidays.  Usually the weekends I lax a bit more, the week is easy to maintain.  I shredded ~30lbs this summer over 4 months (the first month I dieted but not so extreme nor were my workouts as extreme).  I'm looking to lose another 20lbs. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: October 01, 2019, 07:02:19 PM »
Two more days, then I travel for work where I'm likely upping that quite a bit and will need it as it's going to be a super busy trip.  Then I'll go back down to 1k.

Essentially have been on that diet for 3 months before September and traveling.  Going to try to stick with it for October and November before the holidays.  Usually the weekends I lax a bit more, the week is easy to maintain.  I shredded ~30lbs this summer over 4 months (the first month I dieted but not so extreme nor were my workouts as extreme).  I'm looking to lose another 20lbs.

Nice mate, well done.  I like the idea of calorie cycling.  Do that myself where I try and go lower calorie through the week and a tad higher on the weekends.  Gives more flexibility and opens up a lot more options.  I went that low for a while and did suffer consequences, but if you are able to break it up with some higher calorie days and refeeds if you will, you can get great benefits.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #604 on: October 14, 2019, 05:55:24 PM »
Hello everyone, I ran as much as possible during the summer and now it's even a better time for me as the weather is cooling down.  i did 2 half marathon this summer, my best one in 1h 56 minutes.  I go to the boxing gym once a week and the CrossFit gym once a week.  As the very cold weather will get here, I will be running less and even no more outside so I will do it on a threadmill but I will switch some of my activities for a good swimming time.  I've had no major injuries during the past 6 months but I just can't do what I used to do.  At 58, it was a hard time for me during spring and a good part of the summer.  It's hard to accept that I'm slower, can't run as far whenever I would like to.  The recovery takes a longer time.  I had lost some of my motivation to run because I just felt old from time to time like I was really trying but couldn't get the time for the same distance I use to.  So that something I will have to deal with and content myself for what I will do.  Better than nothing.  Oh I can still be fast but the batteries are going down much faster if I do not pace myself properly.  I kind of notice some changes a couple of years ago, getting some little injuries and irritating muscles, longer time to recover.  But this year was showing more clearly.  So, the only thing to do is to not back down and keep moving.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #605 on: October 15, 2019, 05:51:12 AM »
I hope I'm still regularly active at 58!  Good on ya RB  :tup

I'm in the final week (12) of Athlean-X... though in reality I had some off weeks and delays that probably put me 14 or 15 weeks in to this thing.  I'm feeling some pretty good gains.  Scale says virtually no change (in weight, or BF%), but the mirror (and 'test' result*) doesn't lie.  The scale I've had for 10+ years is shit.  Yeah, yeah, I know almost all of the BF measurements are HIGHLY inaccurate, but as a test to see how off it was, I stepped on the scale for my weekly weigh in (just in my gitch), and got a result of 182.8lbs, and 21.6% BF (ergo 143.3lbs of lean mass).  I put my jeans and shirt on, stepped back on, and while 3lbs heavier, the BF magically jumped to 22.6%.  Didn't know jeans would gain me 0.7lbs of lean mass!  So, I ordered a new one for $40 from Amazon... hopefully the technology is a little bit better.

*The monthly test is a '400 Challenge' - 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and 100 inverted rows.  When I started this, it was about 17.5 minutes to get thru that.  Got it down to 11:34 yesterday.

Final challenge test looks killer - 12 rounds / 10 reps of the following four moves: burpee, db squat/swing, inverted row, Russian v-up.

Gonna finish the month doing some lifting and SS cardio, then start a round of p90x (somewhat modified) at the beginning of November.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: October 15, 2019, 04:19:26 PM »
Athlean X? I love Jeff's youtube videos, he know his stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: October 15, 2019, 07:00:51 PM »
Athlean X? I love Jeff's youtube videos, he know his stuff.

Yeah, I've been following him for a little over a year now. Learned so much from him Jeff Nippard is another rock star trainer with killer advice.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline H2

« Reply #608 on: October 16, 2019, 01:20:46 PM »
Well, I finished my keto project, I decided. I wanted to drop from 150 to 140 but am deciding against it. I fit into my 30s again just fine. So, done with keto and eating more again, and feeling more pumped and athletic than while on the cut (which is great). After going through a keto diet, I would say I had a good experience up until a point. Sometime in the last month or so, I found that I had more emotional ups and downs than usually, and I was feeling weaker and less athletic in general. But I would say keto was beneficial for that first month or two.

Upping the workout intensity by starting Insanity again to compensate for the added food so I don't just gain everything back. Dang I love Insanity. I've done it 3 times in the past and always am happy with the results, and it's so much fun. And so doable, doesn't take much time at all. So I'm excited to start that up again. I'm letting myself eat plentifully to really give it my all during the workouts.

After that...IDK? Let's see, for lifting, I've run Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and 5/3/1 in several variations and achieved a "proficient" level of strength according to the ExRx strength standards. I know how that goes. For cardio, I've done C25K and B210K. I did two 5Ks and a mud-run last year. And I've done P90X and Insanity. After I finish up Insanity this time around, I think I might just chill by taking random classes at my university. It might be fun to focus on more social workouts. Then again, I do have dreams of doing a 10K, half marathon, and full marathon at some point. A triathlon sounds like a lofty aspiration but I know nothing about biking or swimming.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:30:10 PM by H2 »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: October 16, 2019, 01:45:20 PM »
This isn't the first time I've heard that Keto can be beneficial for short periods of time.  I watched the Buff Dudes review of it, and everything I've read/watched suggests that while it can have some short-term positive effects related to burning fat, it just isn't sustainable.  Glad it worked for you for the time that it did.  I've actually put a bit of thought into trying it for a cut come the end of winter, but it would be extra difficult since I'd be the only person in the house on that kind of nutrition plan.

Insanity ... the most appropriately named program out there.  I've twice taken a kick at it, but never gotten past the 2nd week of month 2 before I tap out.  Damn that's a tough program.  Mind you, I was doing it in the summertime, and outside in the 25C heat at times for an ... extra ... sweat.  :lolpalm.  Like you don't sweat enough with that program!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: October 16, 2019, 01:55:19 PM »
Good stuff Jingle Barchetta and H2.

I've been in a slump.  Thought Id get right back into check this week but I must have caught a bug in DC and was feeling really crappy the last couple days.  It seems I just haven't been 100% in awhile.  I did walk 20k steps a day over the weekend so that's not bad, but I haven't lifted weights in well over a month now and have hardly hit the bike in that period either, my diet took a bit of a back seat as well although I haven't gone completley off the rocks, just that it hasn't been super tight.  Sadly, 2/3 of the next weeks will be tough since im traveling for work again then we get close to the holidays and I'm making excuses now but I fell behind big time lately and if I can maintain my weight the next few weeks then I'll be in good position to get back into things early November and hopefully close off the year strong.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #611 on: October 16, 2019, 02:18:48 PM »
Oh man, Insanity. I loved Thursdays so much by the second month for those stretch/recovery days.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #612 on: October 16, 2019, 05:27:07 PM »
Got a pull up bar for one of the door ways. Where has this thing been all my life, I love it  :heart

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: October 16, 2019, 07:19:17 PM »
Man... I don’t know how much I could trust a pull-up bar like that. I used to have one of the ‘hook’ kind to mount in a framed doorway.  Now I have one that’s mounted into my ceiling joist.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #614 on: October 16, 2019, 10:25:46 PM »
I've fallen using a pressure mounted pull up bar, and the door frame hook style. I have a power rack with a pull up bar attached, so it's a non issue for me now, but i won't ever use one of those bars again. To be fair, though, my door mounted bars were cheap. And i don't just mean inexpensive.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #615 on: October 17, 2019, 04:27:46 AM »
They can't be seen in the pic, but there are nubs that are drilled into the wall that the bar mounts over, so its feeling pretty stable. I first tried just pressure mounting, but it felt uneasy, so I went up to a stronger method. I still take it cautiously when using it though.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: October 17, 2019, 05:17:16 AM »
I've fallen using a pressure mounted pull up bar, and the door frame hook style. I have a power rack with a pull up bar attached, so it's a non issue for me now, but i won't ever use one of those bars again. To be fair, though, my door mounted bars were cheap. And i don't just mean inexpensive.

I had one of these for years, and never once felt like it was going to give.  My issue with it was that it never allowed me to extend my legs straight.  Hell, at the bottom end of a pullup, my knees were almost touching the floor.

Now I have this, which is stable as fuck

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #617 on: October 17, 2019, 06:03:19 AM »
That looks way better. I'll see how well this current one works out and maybe upgrade later down the line.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #618 on: October 17, 2019, 08:12:30 AM »
Oh man, Insanity. I loved Thursdays so much by the second month for those stretch/recovery days.

I've done INSANITY three times all the way through. The last time I did it I completed it in January of 2018 and swore I'd never do it again. It's just SO hard on your body. I'll go back to individual workouts now and again but I don't see myself doing the entire (60) day circuit again ever.

But...I did pick up Insanity MAX. Those are only half hour workouts and are a tad less stressful. I haven't started the full gambit yet, only been doing a workout here or there but I've been trying to motivate myself to do the program the way it's intended.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline H2

« Reply #619 on: October 17, 2019, 01:56:14 PM »

I've done INSANITY three times all the way through. The last time I did it I completed it in January of 2018 and swore I'd never do it again. It's just SO hard on your body. I'll go back to individual workouts now and again but I don't see myself doing the entire (60) day circuit again ever.
I am curious about this criticism of Insanity. Would you say it's outright bad for your health, or that it's just really difficult?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #620 on: October 17, 2019, 02:43:10 PM »

I am curious about this criticism of Insanity. Would you say it's outright bad for your health, or that it's just really difficult?

I’d lean towards the ‘difficult’ description. It’s a lot of high impact movement in a small area. The jumping, squatting etc etc is very fast paced. It’s a heck of a workout but IMO it does take a toll.

I did (2) cycles pretty much back to back....it’s a (60)day schedule so in my case I probably over did it my last time doing it. I ached quite a bit bit had also done four months of it without missing more than a day or two.

The INSANITY Max I talked about seems to be a bit more manageable. It’s only a half hour workout at a time.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: October 17, 2019, 03:08:00 PM »

It's insanely difficult.  I mean, even the fitness models can't keep up the pace of the program without taking additional breaks during the moves.  There's one disc, it's 18 minutes straight of HIIT movements (18 of them for 1 minute duration) - and iirc, that's in Phase 1.  Phase 2 is longer periods!

Whatever you do, make sure you have a good mat/soft surface because of the jumping.  Yeah, Gary and I are in our 40s, but even for youngins, it could/would be hell on the knees and ankles.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: October 17, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »
I just don't see the point in sacrificing your joints, it seems unnecessary.  I feel the same way about marathon running.  Seems like you can get in great shape without putting your body into such pain.  That's just me.  I'm good with my bike rides  :lol which I'm happy to say I did last night for the first time in awhile.  Felt good and I plan on hitting it again tonight and Saturday but will be back on hiatus for another week.

Offline H2

« Reply #623 on: October 18, 2019, 10:29:47 AM »

It's insanely difficult.  I mean, even the fitness models can't keep up the pace of the program without taking additional breaks during the moves.  There's one disc, it's 18 minutes straight of HIIT movements (18 of them for 1 minute duration) - and iirc, that's in Phase 1.  Phase 2 is longer periods!

Whatever you do, make sure you have a good mat/soft surface because of the jumping.  Yeah, Gary and I are in our 40s, but even for youngins, it could/would be hell on the knees and ankles.
I know what you're talking about -- the Pure Cardio disc. I find that workout the easiest of the lot and don't have too many issues except with the pushups and suicide jumps towards the end. I have the toughest time with Power and Resistance - power jumps are tough.

40s doesn't sound that old TBH. I'm 28 but feel 22. What do I have to look forward to?

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #624 on: October 18, 2019, 10:49:32 AM »
I'm 28 but feel 22. What do I have to look forward to?

In about 2 years, crushing disappointment  :tup

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: October 18, 2019, 11:25:20 AM »
Trust me, it's your 40s where it all changes.  Ask anyone, it's like a switch gets triggered on your birthday, and normal aches, pains, bumps, bruises etc that you'd recover from in a couple days or a week, will take weeks/months.  Or they just linger indefinitely.  I'm currently in the midst of a 4-week hip issue.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: October 18, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »
I felt like the day I turned 30 I immediately had the same issues Jingle is saying, but I'm guessing at 40 it just gets another notch worse.

I'm 28 but feel 22. What do I have to look forward to?

In about 2 years, crushing disappointment  :tup

:lol enjoy those two years of being young

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #627 on: October 18, 2019, 12:27:33 PM »
Man... I don’t know how much I could trust a pull-up bar like that. I used to have one of the ‘hook’ kind to mount in a framed doorway.  Now I have one that’s mounted into my ceiling joist.

That to me looks like a clip from Ridiculousness waiting to happen.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #628 on: October 18, 2019, 12:30:46 PM »
I hope I don't suffer Oldmanitis when I turn 30 in 2021
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #629 on: October 18, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »
Trust me, it's your 40s where it all changes.  Ask anyone, it's like a switch gets triggered on your birthday, and normal aches, pains, bumps, bruises etc that you'd recover from in a couple days or a week, will take weeks/months.  Or they just linger indefinitely.  I'm currently in the midst of a 4-week hip issue.

It was a little later for me, but this.   I have in the past five years (I'm 52) had debilitating issues with both shoulders (different issues).   I'm not ruling out surgery actually, on the left shoulder. 

But while I never did a program like Insanity, I always stayed active... until about 48 or so, and I just sort of lost the initiative.  So I imagine that has something to do with it.

By the way, Insanity; what was the result after the 60 days/cycle?  Where you in great shape?  Was it just weight loss?   I can't imagine doing that kind of cycle unless the payoff was something tangible.