Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188946 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now wth Nutrition!
« Reply #525 on: August 13, 2019, 12:35:42 PM »
I am a bit worried about falling on my diet come September but if I can keep this up for two more weeks, ill be in position to just hold myself over while I travel a bit and maybe can't keep up with the exercise and diet routine I've got into.

Unless you're doing some specific/fad diet, it's pretty flexible.  6 years ago I lost 30lbs and kept the majority of it off.  After 5 years, my son was born, I had 2 young kids, didn't get much sleep and started eating like crap again for a year, gaining about 10-13lbs back.  Last year, I went back to my routine that I used when I was on Weight Watchers and lost that weight, cutting back in certain areas.  Right now, I hover around 150.  Sometimes a little up, sometimes a little down.  I don't beat myself up over it if it's higher than I expect.  A few days with better self control of what I eat gets me back to normal.

Don't stress if you start to fall off a bit - you can always get back into the routine.  You can also allow yourself some cheat calories to treat yourself now and then.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: August 13, 2019, 12:43:30 PM »
About 10 years ago, I went through a similar situation where I just went hardcore diet/exercise mode and dropped 55 lbs in 6 months.  I kept it off for 2 years and then life changes and next thing you know, I cheated a little and a little more and more and eventually put all those 55lbs back on over the next few years.  My goal isn't to just lose weight, but to not fall back into old patterns either.  September will be my first challenge.  It's easy to keep my routine when I go to work every day and things just become routine M-F for me.  But I have the entire month of September off, one trip booked, and at least two more I am going to be booking soon plus a work trip booked for the first week of October.  That's a real challenge to not only find a way to keep the workouts going but to not enjoy too many of those extra calorie treat myself I'm on vacation meals.  But more importantly, when it's all over and I can get back into my routine, I want to be able to do that too and not be in a mental mode where I just fall off it all.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #527 on: August 13, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »

Don't stress if you start to fall off a bit - you can always get back into the routine.  You can also allow yourself some cheat reward calories to treat yourself now and then.

Fix'd

Look, if anyone has one 'bad' meal.. hell, even a 'bad' DAY in a week, that's still 95% or 85% clean.  We don't have to (or want to) be 100% clean all the time.  It's an unrealistic goal.

H... good on ya, but carbs are not the enemy of fitness/health.  Keto's working for you... great.  I would surmise that your lack of endurance may have something to due to a lack of fuel (ie, carbs) in your body.  That's just my un-professional opinion though.

This is a tough week for me - jingle.kids' b-day, so there's ice-cream cake, and banana-cheescake that they wanted for their birthday (both home-made).  Extra cardio all week long for me!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #528 on: August 13, 2019, 02:11:09 PM »
Fast results are a great motivator.  But often, they are not sustainable results.  Inducing your body into ketosis does produce noticeable, quick results.  But many doctors feel it isn't a sustainable diet.  And in my observation, most people end up not finding it to be sutainable just as a practical matter. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #529 on: August 13, 2019, 03:18:26 PM »
My goal isn't to just lose weight, but to not fall back into old patterns either.

I donated most of my clothes when I lost weight and started wearing smaller sizes.  That forced me to keep to my routine, since I didn't want to have to buy bigger clothes again.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: August 13, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »
My goal isn't to just lose weight, but to not fall back into old patterns either.

I donated most of my clothes when I lost weight and started wearing smaller sizes.  That forced me to keep to my routine, since I didn't want to have to buy bigger clothes again.

I kept 1 pair of 'fat' jeans just as a reminder of what I never wanted to be again.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #531 on: August 13, 2019, 04:56:26 PM »
Chad, I would like to have your fat jeans, please.  For...um...personal reasons. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #532 on: August 13, 2019, 05:26:52 PM »
I'll take those fat jeans, I recently discovered red velvet Oreos and will need those ASAP

I'm only half joking
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: August 13, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »
get that oreo talk out of here! I miss America's favorite cookie

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: August 13, 2019, 06:06:25 PM »
Chad, I would like to have your fat jeans, please.  For...um...personal reasons.

Dude ... that was when I was pushing 240. Size 38, when in all actuality, that's prolly equivalent to a 40 nowadays.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: August 13, 2019, 06:18:58 PM »

Dude ... that was when I was pushing 240. Size 38, when in all actuality, that's prolly equivalent to a 40 nowadays.

damn dude, that's pretty much where I was at.  I never weighed recently myself but I was definitely 230 at one point (and probably more after that last weigh) and size 38 jeans.  I'm still wearing them since I've got nothing else atm, but they look ridiculous and my belt is just about done for in terms of being able to keep them tight.  I'm likely going shopping for a belt this weekend and probably some new pants/shorts before Atlanta.

Offline H2

« Reply #536 on: August 14, 2019, 02:40:08 PM »
H... good on ya, but carbs are not the enemy of fitness/health.  Keto's working for you... great.  I would surmise that your lack of endurance may have something to due to a lack of fuel (ie, carbs) in your body.  That's just my un-professional opinion though.
Agreed on both counts. LISS cardio is way more difficult w/o carbs. I agree with you that carbs are not intrinsically bad, although I think going carb-less is just fine, too. Keto is not the only path to success, but as I said, it's been working better for me than any other approach has.

Fast results are a great motivator.  But often, they are not sustainable results.  Inducing your body into ketosis does produce noticeable, quick results.  But many doctors feel it isn't a sustainable diet.  And in my observation, most people end up not finding it to be sutainable just as a practical matter. 
I think that's probably true that adherence rates are not better for keto dieters than other types of diets. In fact, one study showed that to be the case. I have personally found that is easier to stick to and easier to get a calorie deficit without tracking eveything, and I think that's all that matters. It's only been about seven weeks, so I'll let you know if I really can stick to it. As for sustainable results...I guess we'll see. I'm planning on adding fruits and sweet potatoes at a certain point, switching from keto to paleo. I do feel that bread et al are nasty diet-killers. We'll see, though, I'll let you know.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #537 on: August 14, 2019, 08:37:51 PM »
I have been on a doctor-directed ketogenic diet for 6 months, and have also been exercising.  The weight loss has been 40 lbs., but I have been making even greater progress on my body fat % instead of concentrating on just raw weight loss.  Also, the primary reason I started this diet is for blood sugar management.  I wanted to move beyond just managing my condition and look at reversing insulin resistance and type II diabetes.  Based on some ongoing studies, it does look like a ketogenic diet is an effective method to reverse (not cure) Type II diabetes, prediabetes and insulin resistance. I have been able to drastically reduce my medications since changing my diet and exercise.  Given that 1 in 3 adults have prediabetes or type II diabetes, it may be worth paying some attention to the research.  Here is a link to some related studies: https://www.virtahealth.com/research#publications   I do hope to be more metabolically flexible at some point (more able to quickly switch between carbs and fat as a fuel source), but for now, I'm in this for the long haul.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: August 16, 2019, 05:37:44 PM »
Two concerts in a row plus work equals no work out the last two days but diets been good and I finally got a new belt as my pants weren't staying on anymore

But today's a good day. Got a random compliment from a guy at work and then after work I stopped at a friends house for a bit and he was amazed at my downsizing,  then his gf came home and showered me with complimrnts both saying they didnt even recognize me  :metal and home now and back on the bike, feeling good about myself for the first time in awhile.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: August 16, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »
Awesome, Marc!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #540 on: August 19, 2019, 08:48:16 AM »
Two concerts in a row plus work equals no work out the last two days but diets been good and I finally got a new belt as my pants weren't staying on anymore

But today's a good day. Got a random compliment from a guy at work and then after work I stopped at a friends house for a bit and he was amazed at my downsizing,  then his gf came home and showered me with complimrnts both saying they didnt even recognize me  :metal and home now and back on the bike, feeling good about myself for the first time in awhile.

:clap:    This is awesome  :metal
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: August 20, 2019, 04:56:02 PM »

I want to agree with this right here for the most part. 

I tried all the different kind of diets with success over my time, and I got some success, but there's no way I could maintain a close to zero carb diet day in day out.  I've learnt that keeping things simple, picking the right foods most of the time and training your ass off will get better results.  Now, if I want ice cream or a chocolate or a cake, I fucking have it becuase I have the training to back it up and a consistintly good diet.

For long term success, I was obsessed with trying to find and research the best types of diets and foods to help, even meal timing and food combinations.  All that bullshit was making me take all my focus off my training.  I was worried about foods and specific diets I was training like a pussy.  I shifted my focus to training as opposed to diet, and it's paid off immensly.  As I said my diet is still great 80-90% of the time, but being in that restrictive phase a few years ago, I was borderline eating disorder and my training sucked, simple as that.  Don't get so hung up in a diet that you may not be able to eat forever.  If you have to think and focus so hard trying not to eat certain foods, it ain't gonna work in the long run.  Learn how to balance and learn how to train.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: August 20, 2019, 06:14:44 PM »

I want to agree with this right here for the most part. 

I tried all the different kind of diets with success over my time, and I got some success, but there's no way I could maintain a close to zero carb diet day in day out.  I've learnt that keeping things simple, picking the right foods most of the time and training your ass off will get better results.  Now, if I want ice cream or a chocolate or a cake, I fucking have it becuase I have the training to back it up and a consistintly good diet.

For long term success, I was obsessed with trying to find and research the best types of diets and foods to help, even meal timing and food combinations.  All that bullshit was making me take all my focus off my training.  I was worried about foods and specific diets I was training like a pussy.  I shifted my focus to training as opposed to diet, and it's paid off immensly.  As I said my diet is still great 80-90% of the time, but being in that restrictive phase a few years ago, I was borderline eating disorder and my training sucked, simple as that.  Don't get so hung up in a diet that you may not be able to eat forever.  If you have to think and focus so hard trying not to eat certain foods, it ain't gonna work in the long run.  Learn how to balance and learn how to train.

You can't be too strict, you have to treat yourself to something once in awhile or you will lose it!  I think Wolfster sums it up best by saying "If I want ice cream or a chocolate cake, I fucking have it".

But you obviously can't overindulge and need to have things in moderation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #543 on: August 20, 2019, 06:27:23 PM »
  I think Wolfster sums it up best by saying "If I want ice cream or a chocolate cake, I fucking have it".

That should be his personal text under his avatar!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: August 20, 2019, 06:40:02 PM »
  I think Wolfster sums it up best by saying "If I want ice cream or a chocolate cake, I fucking have it".

That should be his personal text under his avatar!

It's already one of my favorite DTF quotes ever.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: August 20, 2019, 10:53:51 PM »
Damn, it doesn't fit.  Too much text!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: August 21, 2019, 06:53:01 AM »
Damn, it doesn't fit.  Too much text!

I'll immortalize it for ya.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: August 21, 2019, 04:52:49 PM »
 :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: August 23, 2019, 06:14:28 PM »
Another stop by in the hall at work today compliment, the guy ended up asking me for weight loss suggestions  :lol

I haven't pushed myself too hard this week, actually felt pretty tired, but did do workouts and healthy eating all week so I'm still doing real well, maybe not as hardcore as the last two weeks, but it's all good still.  I am about to pass another belt buckle on my new belt too... soon, very soon.

I think I may be going clothes shopping labor day weekend before all my vacationing begins.  I had to pull out super old shirts to wear, and todays for example... is too big too (although much better fitting than others). 

Word got back to my parents (via my siblings most likely) that they heard I am looking the best I have in 10 years.  Sounds legit and feels that way too. Let's make it the best shape in 20 years next.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: August 23, 2019, 06:27:29 PM »
Dude that is awesome. Congrats man. That is an AWESOME feeling when people ask you for weight loss advice. And now you have plenty of reason to buy new band shirts in a couple weeks!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: August 23, 2019, 06:32:41 PM »
And now you have plenty of reason to buy new band shirts in a couple weeks!  :lol

Most likely just the PP shirt.  I'm historically not a huge band tshirt guy, although I've been buying more as of late (I bought a super expensive IM shirt which kind of shocked me but I felt so compelled in the moment).  Maybe I will buy one though, we will see if I like any and if any band really sticks out to make me feel "compelled"  :lol 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: August 23, 2019, 07:36:35 PM »
Merchbooth.net has a Seventh Wonder PPUSA exclusive. $30 tho.

Still worth it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: August 23, 2019, 07:43:07 PM »
I bought a Tiara shirt last year and I kind of regret it because the album wasn't that hot

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: August 23, 2019, 08:24:38 PM »
I bought a Tiara shirt last year and I kind of regret it because the album wasn't that hot

ugh my #1 last year  :lol but I have a man crush on Tommy.  Looking forward to confessing my idea to propose to him and that he's lucky he proposed to Kobra first

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: August 24, 2019, 04:59:47 AM »

:omg:  it was top-3 for me last year.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: August 24, 2019, 05:01:49 AM »

:omg:  it was top-3 for me last year.

Yep. I have a Tiara shirt and it's one of my favourite t-shirts right now. This album is fantastic. Katt sucks. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: August 24, 2019, 05:15:56 AM »
 :lol I prefer my Seventh Wonder to be more like Not An Angel or Alley Cat or A Day Away. Tiara was just soooo maudlin and plodding if I'm being honest; not remotely worth the wait... Different strokes. I was super disappointed. Still excited for their PPUSA set in a couple weeks. The shirt is still cool though. Nice purple scheme
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 05:27:20 AM by Kattelox »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: August 24, 2019, 01:57:53 PM »
I do think the album is a bit more plodding than I'd like to admit, but I think the production hurts the album a lot and if it sounded better, the plodding wouldn't be as bad at all I think. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: August 25, 2019, 04:36:57 AM »
Oh, I'm sorry, I was looking for the exercise thread, my mistake.  I'll be on way when then.

;D Well done cram!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: August 25, 2019, 04:45:02 AM »
You've been at DTF long enormous gut to know we derail threads all the time.

Marc... had a dream the other night that you were picking me up from the airport in Atlanta, and you were wearing a suit that was about 17 sizes too big. You were looking to king like you'd lost a little TOO much weight. Can't wait to pay you my own compliments in a couple weeks.

And we are hitting test gym together.