Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188957 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now wth Nutrition!
« Reply #490 on: July 29, 2019, 10:41:59 AM »
Slow and steady is the progress I strive for.  When I first dropped a ton of weight in 2006, it was 40lbs in 8 months... 1-2 lbs per week.  IMO, that's the 'right' way of doing it.  I just need to ensure I don't fall into the trap of 'rewarding' myself too frequently. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #491 on: July 29, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »
I just need to ensure I don't fall into the trap of 'rewarding' myself too frequently. 

:lol  Don't we all?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: July 29, 2019, 11:21:57 AM »
I just need to ensure I don't fall into the trap of 'rewarding' myself too frequently. 

:lol  Don't we all?

:lol  Yeah... have to watch that myself.  I keep saying to myself that the dark chocolate that I'm shoving down my throat is good for antioxidant balance yada, yada, yada. 

My wife and I try to set one meal a week aside as a reward meal (normally has desert attached to it; lot of bakeries around us  :biggrin:) and that's worked well for us both.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: July 29, 2019, 11:24:00 AM »
One a week is good.  at 4-5 'meals' per day, that's 28-35.  Going clean on all but 1 of those is still an A+ week.  So long as the reward isn't Tess Holiday outlandish.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #494 on: July 29, 2019, 11:36:07 AM »
I know it's already been touched on, but I find that, within reason, when I am consuming a LOT of water throughout the day, my body tends to be a LOT more forgiving of slight overages and full-on "rewards."  When my water intake drops off for a few days and I go overboard a bit, it tends to show up on the scales immediately and be more drastic. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: July 29, 2019, 12:00:55 PM »
I know it's already been touched on, but I find that, within reason, when I am consuming a LOT of water throughout the day, my body tends to be a LOT more forgiving of slight overages and full-on "rewards."  When my water intake drops off for a few days and I go overboard a bit, it tends to show up on the scales immediately and be more drastic.

Absolutely 100%.  Back in '05, I could absolutely tell which weeks I was good on my water intake, and which I wasn't.  Speaking of which, I need to go pee.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #496 on: July 29, 2019, 08:29:34 PM »
I just got back from vacation, during which I consumed a ridiculous amount of sugar.  I also walked a ton, so hopefully the damage won't be too much.  But this has been a bit of a lazy, excuse-making year in general, so let's see how well I do for the second half.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #497 on: July 29, 2019, 11:43:10 PM »
The game changer for me was 18 months ago when I switched jobs. Last april i relocated 2 office towers up the road to a newer, LEED certified environmental building. They do about everything they can to get you to ride your bike to work:

- High security,  indoor parkade with dedicated bike lock area, which itself is high security upright locking stands

-water station and  bike mechanic station equipped with tools and air

- Locker rooms with full towel service,  day use lockers, hair dryers, cleaning and grooming products

-jumbo lockers for rent if you want to store stuff. I keep my entire work wardrobe in my rented locker which is conveniently located next to the 1 day turnaround drop off dry cleaning lockers

My commute is only 7km the direct route or ~10 if i mountain bike through the river valley trail network,  but that 30-60min each day of basically free cardio exercise has really upped my fitness. For those of you who haven't discovered bike commuting , you should give it a try if it's feasible where you live/work. Great exercise,  and you get to work ready to crush some spreadsheets. Well, in my case it's spreadsheets.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: July 30, 2019, 06:58:46 AM »
My commute is 35 miles one way, and I don't know how safe it is to bike along the NJ turnpike  :lol regardless, I've been riding my exercise bike for a few months now, but I can't remember the last time I rode a real bike.  When I was walking around Prospect Park last weekend, I saw the city bike rentals and was kind of curious to give one a spin around the park, but I was thinking maybe not the best idea since it's been so long and there's a lot of bikers/cars out for my fat ass to be testing out my biking skills

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #499 on: July 30, 2019, 09:03:00 AM »
My commute is about 25 miles.  I try to bike it 2-3 times a week.  The vast majority of that mileage is on a paved bike trail along the American River, and it is such a beautiful ride.  That hour and a half on the days I ride is the best part of my day.  I'm hoping my hand heals up quickly and that there is no serious damage to my shoulder so I can get back out soon.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #500 on: July 30, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »
So I've never used the spin bikes at my gym... but I'm thinking about giving it a go tonight. I've been a member for 8 freaking years and have never used the bikes. I'm just soooo bored with using the treadmill and arc trainer. I hear spin bikes are no joke if you work at it, so I'm excited. There's almost nobody ever in the room with the bikes so hopefully it's not awkward  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #501 on: July 30, 2019, 05:19:35 PM »
For spin, I would find out when the classes are and do a spin class.  It is probably the easiest class to get over self-consciousness quickly, and you will get SO much more out of it.  Trust me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: July 30, 2019, 05:37:43 PM »
For spin, I would find out when the classes are and do a spin class.  It is probably the easiest class to get over self-consciousness quickly, and you will get SO much more out of it.  Trust me.

I f&*%ing hate exercising as a group, so I'm just gonna wing it. I work out specifically to be alone. I'm not self conscious about what I do in the gym, I've just never seen anyone back there because it's so isolated  :lol I might get more out of the class but I really just want to be alone when I do my thing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #503 on: July 30, 2019, 05:41:57 PM »
I hear you.  I'm kinda the same way, which is why I don't even go to a gym.  But there is a lot to spin that isn't intuitive.  I guarantee that if you go to a class, the leader will have you doing things that will make you say, "Oh, wow.  I didn't even know I could/should be doing that."  I encourage you to just try it ONCE.  But that's all I'll say.  I know how you are.  :p

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: July 30, 2019, 05:43:02 PM »
Don't tell me how to live my life!!  :lol

Nah, I appreciate the advice, I'll keep it in mind - it'll be weird using it for the first time but maybe I'll get used to it. Maybe I'll even start listening to audiobooks.  :corn

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #505 on: July 30, 2019, 05:47:09 PM »
Maybe I'll even start listening to audiobooks.  :corn

Or black folk metal.  (that's not the same as metal produced by black folks, right?)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #506 on: July 30, 2019, 06:22:51 PM »
Bosk is right,  though.  You should try a spin class. They're fun. And exhausting. But still fun.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: July 30, 2019, 06:47:42 PM »
30 minutes on this bike and it's the most I've sweat all year. I've found sanctuary

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: July 31, 2019, 06:19:17 AM »
Yea only takes me 10 minutes before I'm drenched in sweat and I don't even go hard compared to your average biker, but I'm also one who likes to just do my own thing by myself, hence my little basement work out area.  I'm sure a class would be much better, but I get it, its not for me either.  I don't plan on ever buying a peloton either.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: July 31, 2019, 12:38:01 PM »
My only problem is that the seat feels too small. Or maybe I have a huge ass.  :lol Ready to give it another go tonight.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #510 on: July 31, 2019, 12:54:32 PM »
My only problem is that the seat feels too small. Or maybe I have a huge ass.  :lol Ready to give it another go tonight.

Well, they are generally made to simulate real cycling seats vs. more padded, comfortable stationary bike seats.  And there are good reasons for that based on the fact that the workouts they are designed for are meant to simulate real cycling workouts. 

Hey, just a thought:  If you are still dead set against going to a spin class, maybe find a video of one online and watch it.  It will give you an idea of how to get a good workout doing a lot of things that, again, you probably wouldn't intuit on your own.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: July 31, 2019, 01:36:30 PM »
a lot of things that, again, you probably wouldn't intuit on your own.

Careful, a mod might view this as a personal attack.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: July 31, 2019, 02:16:18 PM »

Well, they are generally made to simulate real cycling seats vs. more padded, comfortable stationary bike seats.  And there are good reasons for that based on the fact that the workouts they are designed for are meant to simulate real cycling workouts. 

Hey, just a thought:  If you are still dead set against going to a spin class, maybe find a video of one online and watch it.  It will give you an idea of how to get a good workout doing a lot of things that, again, you probably wouldn't intuit on your own.

No, I mean, even compared to a real cycling seat, these seats are small. But these aren't exactly high quality bikes. I can see why they're sitting in the back room. There's not even a TV in that room. It was me, a bike, and Bill Burr's podcast while the swolebros grunted like they were having an orgy in the main room.  :lol

And I did watch videos before going to the gym, and when I came home I looked for some specifically aimed at the bikes at my gym :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: August 02, 2019, 01:22:37 PM »
So, erm... in a sudden twist of events I canceled my gym membership!  :lol I really need to motivate myself to get more fresh air and see the outdoors, and I will save $30/month this way, so I made the rare impulse decision and cut it. Gonna go for some cardio around the nearby pond tonight. We'll see how committed I am once the weather gets colder. Hope I made the right choice.

Offline H2

« Reply #514 on: August 03, 2019, 07:14:56 PM »
My commute is about 25 miles.  I try to bike it 2-3 times a week.  The vast majority of that mileage is on a paved bike trail along the American River, and it is such a beautiful ride.  That hour and a half on the days I ride is the best part of my day.  I'm hoping my hand heals up quickly and that there is no serious damage to my shoulder so I can get back out soon.
My dad used to bike to work every day. It sounds like wholesome exercise, plus it saves money and is good for the environment.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: August 10, 2019, 03:50:56 PM »
So I was forced to take a bit of a break on my exercising this week.  I worked out Tuesday and then Wednesday afternoon I started having a gout attack that got really bad into Wednesday evening in my ankle, blowing it up and making me unable to put weight on it.  It was pretty excruciating pain, if anyone ever had gout before would know.  High uric acid levels in my blood is hereditary from my father's side of the family.  I've been dealing with it for quite awhile now, essentially I just limit my beer and red meat intake and consume lots of water with a daily cherry tart pill (natural anti-inflammatory).  It works, however, since I started my diet/exercise I've had a few minor attacks before this major one. So to go back to the problem with a 1k daily calorie diet, I'm definitely not getting the nutrition I need, specifically vitamin C which I need with fiber to help keep gout attacks down.  So I had been thinking about this for awhile, but always forgot when at the store to get a daily multivitamin.  I finally got some, and vitamin C specifically, and went hard on that Thursday which cleared up the gout by last night.  Wasn't until today I got back to working out.  My ankle is still swollen but doesn't hurt at all.  Did my work out, no issues today.  I kept my diet though while not working out so I think that alone is shredding some weight.  I say that, because today, I have officially become too small around the waist for my belt.  AKA, the last belt buckle is too loose and I need a new one, along with new pants/shorts as they are all ridiculously too big.  I tried on and was able to fit into a bunch of my old Iron Maiden shirts that I had decommed because I was too big for them.  I'm really happy about that.  Thinking for progpower, I will wear 4 different Iron Maiden shirts that I was unable to fit into until just this week. (actually 3, one I just bought last weekend and I might have fucked up buying an XL (better than the XXL I was buying) since a L might just have fit fine)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: August 10, 2019, 04:21:01 PM »
Dude, that's awesome (the shirt size stuff... not the gout).

I was buying Ls for many years, then my weight ballooned back up, and I acknowledged reality by buying XLs for a few years.  Now I'm back to Ls, and it's so gratifying to wear those shirts with ease.  Let that be your motivation for PPUSA - you're only gonna buy Ls.   :tup

I've actually got a couple of Ms from a few years ago (2008ish, because one was from the ProgNation tour).  I can squeeze in to those kinda, but they are a little snug.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: August 10, 2019, 04:28:09 PM »
You're a taller dude so it makes sense you'd need a big shirt too without ever being fat.  Yup, I plan on buying a PP shirt and I want a L.  Not to pay the extra fee for the XXL like last year. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: August 10, 2019, 04:52:41 PM »
Man I wish I could wear L but the best shirts that fit me are the tall XL fits. A lot of XL shirts are super wide but short and I need the opposite  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: August 10, 2019, 08:01:16 PM »
You're a taller dude so it makes sense you'd need a big shirt too without ever being fat.  Yup, I plan on buying a PP shirt and I want a L.  Not to pay the extra fee for the XXL like last year.

I'm only 6'1"... but yeah, sometimes the make of Ls are too short.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #520 on: August 10, 2019, 09:12:18 PM »
Only 6"1? Only? Fuck you lol. I'm 5"8 and change. I'd give up a middle toe to be 6"1.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: August 11, 2019, 12:10:19 AM »
 :lol "only"

I'm 5'10" and I recall Jingle being taller than me

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: August 11, 2019, 05:03:54 AM »
Well, I used to be 6'3".  I've lost a couple of inches over the last 30 years.

Offline H2

« Reply #523 on: August 13, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »
Keto thing is going crazy well, even better than when I actually tracked calories meticulously. Would really recommend. Every day is just eggs, meat, cheese and tons of green vegetables. I got fat last year (185lb at 5'8) and have been cutting for a while. After starting keto, I lost 10lb over the last six weeks bringing me to a comfy 155lb, and I've never had these kinds of results in any of my fitness endeavors in my life. A friend I haven't seen in a while complimented me heavily yesterday, saying I was "getting ripped" and "looked really fit" which was so flattering. Also, I generally feel just fine and pretty alert all day long, skin is really clear, sleeping is easy, and I am not spacing out nearly as much. The only real downside I feel is exercise endurance. I just can't run for more than 3 miles without completely hitting a wall. I'm not "cardio-tired", but my legs feel like they literally run out of juice and propulsion power is gone. I think I'll keep cutting for a while and see how lean I can really get before switching to something more sustainable like paleo. I am becoming increasingly convinced that bread, rice, pasta, cereal, etc. are more detrimental to fitness goals than I initially thought.

Only 6"1? Only? Fuck you lol. I'm 5"8 and change. I'd give up a middle toe to be 6"1.
5'7/5'8 here and comfortable. I feel it's a good height for physical comfort almost anywhere. Also less distance to go when gaining or losing weight to achieve certain goals. Also nice thrift store clothes are easy to find--I think because people gain weight and give up all their small shirts and 30/30 pants. Also shorter people live longer. Tall people have a greater risk of issues and heart-related diseases. Chin up bruh!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: August 13, 2019, 12:16:45 PM »
I've been eating oatmeal packs for lunch as part of my diet.  Two packs at 300 calories combined.  Those packs have lots of sugar in them though.  I started testing last week, and this week I'm all in now, but I'm just going with the plain oats that you can microwave quickly and adding a banana to it.  Comes out to the same 300 calories, but should be healthier and feels like more food since the sugar is less but oats are more.  Then next week I can bring in strawberries to switch it up or something, although bananas are nice and cheap.

I am a bit worried about falling on my diet come September but if I can keep this up for two more weeks, ill be in position to just hold myself over while I travel a bit and maybe can't keep up with the exercise and diet routine I've got into.