Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 189040 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Back on the bandwagon
« Reply #385 on: May 03, 2017, 09:14:10 AM »
I will never give up pizza. :hat

Pasta I have all but cut out, except for maybe once a month at my parent's.

What's funny is, reading back through this thread, I was already down to 204 in late February, so the first 13 went in like six weeks, and then it's been only six lbs in 2 1/2 month since.  But that's okay. I am doing this slowly and not driving myself crazy by depriving myself.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: May 03, 2017, 02:25:39 PM »
I will never give up pizza. :hat

I'm having one now......:hat

Mainly cause I can't be arsed doing a big shop today. . .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: May 03, 2017, 02:38:27 PM »
FUCK OFF 403 LET ME POST FFS

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: May 03, 2017, 03:06:58 PM »
I ate quite a bit of junk lately - several takeaways - Coca Cola -  and was worried about how much i'd put on - and it was only 2lb ! **

Then I realised that to get morbidly obese - around 800 lb - they must be constantly eating junk all day every day.

Yuk.

** - Ok I also do a lot of exercise.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: May 03, 2017, 11:38:49 PM »
I ate quite a bit of junk lately - several takeaways - Coca Cola -  and was worried about how much i'd put on - and it was only 2lb ! **

Then I realised that to get morbidly obese - around 800 lb - they must be constantly eating junk all day every day.

Yuk.

** - Ok I also do a lot of exercise.

That 2 lbs won't be fat, mostly water weight.  If the takeaways become a regular thing though, that's where the fat starts to form.

To get obese one needs to be eating at a caloric surplus constantly for a long period of time.  You can eat anything you want if you create the defeciet.

My heaviest was 118kg, and now I weigh 80kg.  My diet consists of mainly vegetables, lean proteins, oats, eggs, protein powders, peanut butter etc. but I've never given up stuff I want.  I also lost weight eating donuts, cakes, ice cream, pizza etc. my defeceit was just always in check over time. Although over time I prefer eating the healthier stuff these days.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: May 04, 2017, 12:16:42 AM »
How long of a timeframe did you lose that weight Wolf?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: May 04, 2017, 12:34:39 AM »
How long of a timeframe did you lose that weight Wolf?

I did it over probably a couple of years, probably longer, and easily kept it off.  I took it pretty slow and took my time.  At times I was doing it too fast and at times not fast enough I feel.  I've been trying to build strength in the gym at the same time which stabilises the process at times.  I have wanted to make sure I've cut fat, not just weight.  When I lost weight too fast, I was losing strength and probably burnt a bit of muscle.  It's really tough and I have learnt a lot of lessons about what I've done wrong and what I have done right.  Changing body composition is my ultimate goal.

Changing my diet totally to be able to eat those good foods day in day out while still being able to eat what I want at times has taken years.  To have successful fat loss over time, your diet needs to change and include the types of foods what I mentioned above I believe.  Yes, you can lose weight eating what you want if you are in a caloric deficeit, but long term success really requires a 180 in lifestyle.  It's a lifestyle change not just a phase.  That's why so many people can't keep it up and put weight back on, they look at it as a diet over a specific time, which 99% of time, doesn't work.

With my diet change, I rarely crave things anymore, and I can have what I want anyway.  I have the knowledge and tools to eat what I want and sometimes binge on 5000+ calories if I chose so and still maintain weight or even keep losing depending what I'm doing at the time.  It's all mathematics.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: May 04, 2017, 01:12:04 AM »
I almost never have takeaways but was a really busy week at work and couldnt be bothered cooking.

Plus my Grandad took me out a couple of times too and I couldn't refuse :p

As I said - I went cold turkey on sugar in my tea/coffee and no biscuits/cakes etc...No soft drinks..only sparkling water on January 1st.

I lost like 16lb in two months.

But yeah I couldn't imagine being so sedentary and eating so much crap that I end up becoming obese.

... Also I don't care bout being "ripped brah". I just want a flat tum and to look thin.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: May 08, 2017, 06:47:40 PM »
But yeah I couldn't imagine being so sedentary and eating so much crap that I end up becoming obese.

It's scary how easy it can get out of control without you even properly realising it.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #394 on: June 18, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »
Does anyone here take BCAAs? And is it better on training days to drink during a workout or after?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #395 on: June 18, 2017, 09:00:57 PM »
Does anyone here take BCAAs? And is it better on training days to drink during a workout or after?

I do... mostly to add a little sweetness to my drinks through the day.  And I always use them during my exercise instead of Gatorade or anything like that.

I'm 3 weeks into an Insanity cycle.  Not sure I'm gonna do the 2nd month, this has been a bit of a grind on my knees.  Too much jumping for this 45-year old.  Once I'm at the 1/2 point, I think I'll switch to p90x.  I've done enough of those to know I enjoy them, and am wanting to get into lifting again anyway.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #396 on: June 18, 2017, 10:51:50 PM »
I'll never do the full (60) day Insantiy again. Completed it for the third time this past February and like you said Chad....it's just too much for the knees and ankles. That second month is brutal.

I do like Insanity MAX though. The half hour workouts, I can still handle those. I'm doing a quick (4) week weight loss challenge with the in laws leading into our vacation next month. Gonna try to drop at least 10lbs....which I think is doable.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: June 19, 2017, 07:16:49 AM »
Yeah, I certainly didn't do myself any favors with the first 2 weeks - working out on my deck without a mat, and using my 5-fingers running shoes (ie, no arch support).  My knees and feet were not happy with me.  Since switching to shoes and using a pad, it's been noticeably better.  Still not sure I'll keep it up into month 2 ... I really want to get back to lifting.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: June 19, 2017, 08:24:44 AM »
I really want to get back to lifting.

I've never gave a solid effort into lifting. I've tried on a few occasions to get into it but it never stuck. I'm pretty much just a runner. At 41  years old, I'd put my cardio conditioning and leg endurance up against most anyone....but as for any lifting abilities it's just not there. I still have issues with my left arm from the Rattlesnake bite 16 years ago that I've never really rehabbed or recovered from....I've just never built up any type of real arm strength. Any that I have is residual....left over from when I was lifting way back in my baseball playing days.

all i do know is that I consider myself in somewhat good shape and that second month of INSANITY flat out whipped me.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: June 19, 2017, 09:37:42 AM »
I hear ya.  The two times I did Insanity before, I never got through the second month.  It's just stupid.  Keeping ones heart rate above 155/160 for 20-30 minutes is just dumb (imo).  The fitness models can't even keep up in month 1, so why should my flabby / out-of-shape / 45 year old body put myself through that shit.  I don't even 'keep up' with the moves/timing in month 1, but I am certainly seeing improvement in my conditioning.  Good prep work for doing p90x methinks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: June 19, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
  Good prep work for doing p90x methinks.

I've only done P90X one time through and that was at least 5 years ago. I may look into doing that one again. Now that it's summer time I just find my exercise is generally running 4 or 5 times a week. I resort to indoor DVD's when needed but for me nothing beats a good 5 mile trail run

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: June 19, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »
I've done p90x enough times that I don't watch the videos anymore.  I have an app on my phone that runs through the movements.  Gives me a good reason to watch the plethora of concert DVDs and BluRays that I haven't cracked open yet.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #402 on: June 19, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
all i do know is that I consider myself in somewhat good shape

This seems like a good time to bring this up. I would like to preface this by saying this is not a personal attack against anyone or what they find important. I love running too, and if push comes to shove, I'd choose those 5 mile trail runs for the rest of my life if I HAD to choose.

The vast majority of people, even those that might workout regularly and consider themselves fit, would not truly be classified as FIT. There's a spectrum, or what I call the Health Arch: SICKNESS----------WELLNESS----------FITNESS. Unfortunately with American obesity rates, the majority of Americans fall on the SICKNESS end of the arch. BAD blood pressure, resting heart rate, cholesterol, body fat, etc. At the top of the arch you have WELLNESS, which includes ACCEPTABLE blood pressure, resting heart rate, cholesterol, and body fat. Some individuals who exercise occasionally, or even regularly, will fall into this category. True FITNESS includes ACCEPTABLE/EXCELLENT blood pressure, resting heart rate, cholesterol, and body fat, as well as competency in these ten areas of FITNESS: Accuracy, Agility, Balance, Cardio Respiratory Endurance, Coordination, Flexibility, Power, Speed, Strength, Stamina.

Being WELL is better than being SICK. But from experience, being truly FIT is what brings supreme confidence. Improving all those aspects through functional movement is what gives me the feeling that there is absolutely NO physical task or challenge that I find intimidating. Life becomes easy on that end of the Health Arch.

edit: Oh yeah, the point! Don't neglect anything. Do it all, your body will thank you for it. And that doesn't mean pick up the strength lifting or whatever from the crazy hard workout DVDs. It's cool if you've done them in the past, or if you've got goals to do them in the future. Bad starting point though. Age is ultimately irrelevant​ if you're doing the right things and progressing in a systematic fashion. I had an 84 yr old client that did as much or more work as any other client I had, and that included strength work.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:25:50 AM by sylvan »

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #403 on: June 19, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bcaas-the-many-benefits-of-amino-acids.html

I found this article interesting because I'm a runner, but do A LOT of other work. I find it hard to put on muscle mass because of the calorie burn and the fact that I just don't have the appetite to eat enough.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: June 19, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
all i do know is that I consider myself in somewhat good shape

being truly FIT is what brings supreme confidence.****snip**** gives me the feeling that there is absolutely NO physical task or challenge that I find intimidating. Life becomes easy on that end of the Health Arch.

I know you weren't attacking me personally but I feel the need to 'defend' my proclamation of being in good shape. Just had blood work done through my work

Total Cholesterol: 143 mg/dL    (below 200 are normal results)
HDL   68 mg/dL   (normal for men above 40.....above 60 Considered protective against heart disease
TC/HDL Ratio: 2.1   (should be below 4.5 for men)
Resting Heart rate of 36 bpm
BP 115/80
and although I don't put much stock in BMI...mine was 24 kg/m2    (should be below 25)

Again, I know you weren't attacking 'me' per say but when I said "I consider myself in somewhat good shape" I was basing that off of I average running 25 miles a week and my recent health check up results. I know I could still drop dead tomorrow from anything  :lol but Compared to 90% of the other 40 something year old Fathers I know...I'd say I'm pretty dead on when estimating my physical prowess. Because like you mentioned...even at 41 I haven't shy'd away from many physical tasks and seek them out regularly as far as races or events.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #405 on: June 19, 2017, 12:45:16 PM »
Good numbers :tup. I just like to see people do everything. But trust me, I'm guilty of one dimensional thinking at times when it comes to my fitness. I can start running in like 3 weeks, and when I get going it's gonna be hard to do anything else. I see a lot of people put a lot of time and energy into "working out". If "they" spread out their focus and maximized their efforts, "they" would be far better off than just lifting heavy weights for hours a week, or only running for fitness. But I also get that certain things are more important to people than others. It's all good!

I'm sitting at the surgeons office right now. Hoping to get the okay to return to normal activity. :metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: June 19, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »
for me the most important thing that isn't captured in those numbers is the mental wellness. I tell my neighbors and buddies all the time that running for me these days is less about the exercise and more about the mental 'break'. I find that if I go two or three days without running I start to get a little snippy and notice I'm more easily irritated. The 45 minutes to an hour I spend running those four or five times a week is very theraputic.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #407 on: June 19, 2017, 02:11:54 PM »
It took me some time to snap out of that. I always run into that problem when some sort of injury comes up, which I've had plenty of the last couple years. But I haven't run since January 18, so I just hit 5 months. It took a few weeks to get my head straight. Now I'm just itching to get back at it, and I'm about 18 days away from hitting the streets... slowly  :rollin

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #408 on: June 30, 2017, 08:28:51 AM »
Today is 11 weeks post-op and I've been cleared by my surgeon and PT to start returning to normal activity. I killed pt and my leg/core workouts are rounding into normal strength and stability workouts, soon to add some resistance and functional lifting. I've run on the treadmill twice in the last two weeks of PT, 7 and 5 mins, with the 5 mins being a RUN not a jog. I think I'll move out to the streets this weekend for some run/walk time. The upper body workouts are going just as good, about a month into hypertrophy phase. Less than two months ago just doing 5 push-ups was difficult, and thus VERY embarrassing lol.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #409 on: June 30, 2017, 08:43:20 AM »
Good to hear you're back to being able to work out :tup

Less than two months ago just doing 5 push-ups was difficult, and thus VERY embarrassing lol.

I know those feels. I'm finally back to running after essentially being shut down for four months (back to back knee injuries and then allergy/asthma season) outside of some long walks. It's amazing how much I've fallen off from where I was when I was training for a half marathon right before I hurt my knee for the first time.
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: July 02, 2017, 06:48:40 AM »
Man, my fitnexx has improved a ton in just a month.  As I eased in to working out again, I was doing some of my 'deck-of-card' workouts.  One routine has pushups/squats/burpees/situps as the four routines.  I use an app on my phone for it, and it keeps a history.  Last time I was doing these (over 2 years ago), I was doing the routine in just around 30 minutes.  When I was doing them in May ... 45-50 minutes.   :omg:

After doing the first month of Insanity, I did the deck-of-cards routine, yesterday, and was right at 30 minutes.  #accompishment

Gonna do a mild cardio/recovery week, then start p90x routines for to get back into lifting.  I had success with those when I did them in the late '00s.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #411 on: July 02, 2017, 04:05:50 PM »
Man, my fitnexx has improved a ton in just a month.  As I eased in to working out again, I was doing some of my 'deck-of-card' workouts.  One routine has pushups/squats/burpees/situps as the four routines

Deck of Card workouts are my favourite, and that one is a classic! They're fun, really effective, and can be intense as hell. Of course,  sometimes the cards giveth and sometimes the cards taketh away.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #412 on: July 06, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »

The home gym I set up in March 2016. This was the real game changer for me. Even though there's a $10 per month gym about 5 blocks away, it was still tough to get motivated to go. Putting the gym in my basement made it so easy there was no excuse.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:03:44 PM by SchecterShredder »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: July 06, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »
I'm the same.  Have an upright bike, treadmill, 90lb adjustable Bowflex dumbells, bench, bands, push-up bars, pull-up bar.... everything I need to get (back) in shape.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #414 on: July 20, 2017, 03:27:09 PM »
Insanity is awesome. I did it twice, and even though I could never complete a full workout without stopping, I got really in the best shape of my life. No problems, though it was psychological draining more than anything.

Well, I've been lifting for the past year and have gotten my lifts way up. (At least from where I was.) But earlier this summer, I sprained both my wrists pretty badly while mountain biking, so I just haven't lifted per doctor's orders. Instead, I switched to running again. I've been training for a 5k which is happening in about two weeks.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: July 20, 2017, 05:13:09 PM »
I will not do INSANIY again. At least not the full two months. Month one is no issue but by month two with the increase in workout time and more taxing workouts.....my knees, ankles and lower back are barking hard at me.

I do like the INSANITY MAX 30 workouts. Thirty minutes of him trying to get you to max out. I can make it the duration of Dan but they are certainly butt whoopers.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: July 27, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »
Just registered for a Sprint Triathlon on Sept. 24th. 400 meter swim, 15.8 miles bike and 3.1 mile run. I've done one of these a few years back and liked it. I've really been contemplating doing an IRONMAN but a close buddy of mine who ran one last year told me how much training is involved and I honestly don't have 25-30 hrs a week to train for a full Ironman. I know I can 'wing' this sprint tri.....and I just might find myself registering for a half Ironman before it's all said and done.

Guess I need to get a road bike  :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #417 on: July 27, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »
Just registered for a Sprint Triathlon on Sept. 24th. 400 meter swim, 15.8 miles bike and 3.1 mile run. I've done one of these a few years back and liked it. I've really been contemplating doing an IRONMAN but a close buddy of mine who ran one last year told me how much training is involved and I honestly don't have 25-30 hrs a week to train for a full Ironman. I know I can 'wing' this sprint tri.....and I just might find myself registering for a half Ironman before it's all said and done.

I can say from personal experience that you can complete an Ironman with as few as 10-15hrs per week. It just won't be fun, that's for sure. Also,  i didn't do particularly well,  but did finish under the 17hr cutoff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: July 27, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »

I can say from personal experience that you can complete an Ironman with as few as 10-15hrs per week. It just won't be fun, that's for sure. Also,  i didn't do particularly well,  but did finish under the 17hr cutoff.

I was curious as to what other past participants would say. My buddy is pretty competitive and has a job where he literally can go in and out of work whenever he wants so he could afford to take the afternoon off and train. Where was yours that you ran, and when?

I'm 41 right now and know that although that's not 'old' per say....I don't want to be 45, 46 or so attempting an IRONMAN. If I'm going to do it I need to get in gear and do it. Issue is, I do not have a road bike but I plan to buy a very low budget one for this sprint tri and subsequent sprints or maybe even a half IRONMAN. Those things can get pretty pricey though.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #419 on: July 27, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »
Completed 2008 IM Canada in Penticton, BC (now in Whistler) while working as a restaurant manager about 50hrs per week. I was 26 at the time, and it took 16hrs to finish. Trained less than 15hrs per week. Tried again in 2012, but got sick in the water so i posted a DNF for the first time.  Sadly, i actually trained more in 2012 than 2008 but never got to test it out.  In 2012 i was working for a Canadian version of UniFirst (Uni1st?), the linen and uniform rental company. 40hr work week and about 20 training.

The 70.3 distance is much more enjoyable,  in my opinion. I completed 2 half-irons while training for the fulls, and i liked them way more.

Might be worth noting that although i didn't train a lot in volume,  i already had a really good endurance base from years of marathon running, so i definitely wasn't starting from scratch.