Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 191744 times)

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now wth Nutrition!
« Reply #560 on: August 25, 2019, 06:17:19 AM »
You've been at DTF long enormous gut to know we derail threads all the time.

What an appropriate thread for such an epic autocorrect  :rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: August 25, 2019, 10:29:34 AM »

Marc... had a dream the other night that you were picking me up from the airport in Atlanta, and you were wearing a suit that was about 17 sizes too big. You were looking to king like you'd lost a little TOO much weight. Can't wait to pay you my own compliments in a couple weeks.

And we are hitting test gym together.

:rollin

I don't know how I feel about being in your dreams

also, back to the thread, down another belt buckle but in my drunkenness last night and being hungry, I cheated (or rewarded myself) with taco bell since it was next to my hotel and open.  Well I had only eaten a 240 calorie light sandwich from wawa before that so it's not like I overindulged for the day, just one very bad meal.  Oh well, time to hit the bike now that I'm home.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #562 on: August 25, 2019, 10:31:41 AM »
Hell, you gotta reward yourself occasionally. Plus you were already drunk! I'm fighting over a small unintended hangover from last night and I'll be lucky if I get out for a walk today  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: August 25, 2019, 03:05:28 PM »

Marc... had a dream the other night that you were picking me up from the airport in Atlanta, and you were wearing a suit that was about 17 sizes too big. You were looking to king like you'd lost a little TOO much weight. Can't wait to pay you my own compliments in a couple weeks.

And we are hitting test gym together.

:rollin

I don't know how I feel about being in your dreams

also, back to the thread, down another belt buckle but in my drunkenness last night and being hungry, I cheated (or rewarded myself) with taco bell since it was next to my hotel and open.  Well I had only eaten a 240 calorie light sandwich from wawa before that so it's not like I overindulged for the day, just one very bad meal.  Oh well, time to hit the bike now that I'm home.

If your daily intake for the day is say 2500 calories and you ate only a 240 calorie sandwich, but gorged on a 2000 calorie Taco Bell meal, you are still in a calorie deficit for the day, or close to maintenance as I always over estimate take out nutritional info.

People focus way too much on the type of food and what they class as a bad meal as opposed to the calorie content and the numbers. Yes, it's easier and more foolproof just sticking to good food if you don't want to go through the work, but if you can do the numbers you can make anything work.  I guess I'm referring to IIFYM really, just a bit simpler looking at calories instead.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:20:53 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: August 25, 2019, 03:57:27 PM »
I boozed last night so I had way more calories than just that.  Vodka clubs though, so they aren't too bad but still.  It's not the end of the world having one shit meal, but definitely the first time I've done that in awhile.  I don't know if it was from the alcohol or maybe just from not haven eaten out much lately, but those were the best Chalupas I've ever had.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #565 on: August 25, 2019, 05:42:32 PM »
Drunk fast food is the best tasting food ever. Fact.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #566 on: August 25, 2019, 08:47:46 PM »
Indeed. The dive bar in I used to go to sometimes has a McDonald's next door and I have capped many a drunken evening with a bunch of McNuggets.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: August 27, 2019, 05:13:29 AM »
I boozed last night so I had way more calories than just that.  Vodka clubs though, so they aren't too bad but still.  It's not the end of the world having one shit meal, but definitely the first time I've done that in awhile.  I don't know if it was from the alcohol or maybe just from not haven eaten out much lately, but those were the best Chalupas I've ever had.  :lol

Best thing is to forget about it and move on.  Don't dwell or feel guilty, we are human and we need days like this. 

Speaking of good food, I just had a large Maccas Angus meal with a cheesburger, ice cream and shake for dinner and not even mad.  At the gym though beforehand I did legs with heavy deads, squats and leg press and a 5km run so it's all good!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #568 on: September 06, 2019, 09:36:47 AM »
Trail Half Marathon tomorrow. I've actually not really trained much at all for this one....the furthest distance I've ran at once since my last Half in March has been 4.5 Miles. I'm not too concerned about it other than the fact that I'm about 10lbs above playing weight. Not looking to break any personal best times at my age these days so, I'll just enjoy the scenic run through the river lands where the race is at. Gonna be a beautiful morning for it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #569 on: September 06, 2019, 10:36:11 AM »
There's trail run (not marathon but 13.5 and 33 km runs) in my city in two weeks and I've been thinking about it (never been to any so far) but I'm in so bad shape I don't know if I could even do 13.5 km :lol
I've been in lifting weight last few weeks again and my student gym is opening on Monday (yay!). I've accumulated quite a lot fat during summer so working on losing some of it now. I'm biggest I've ever been (90 kg or 200 lbs) but it doesn't show because I'm pretty tall (191 cm
or 6'3"). Already lost 3 kgs in last 2 weeks with intermittent fasting, planning to go down a few more kgs and then start lifting heavier (especially bench, deadlift and squat) and working on muscle mass.
But I'd really like to do a marathon some day and will definitely do some runs next spring/summer.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: September 06, 2019, 12:17:31 PM »
But I'd really like to do a marathon some day and will definitely do some runs next spring/summer.

I've only done (2) Full Marathons....have done countless Halve's....but I can tell you despite the Full's being demanding and tough....the sense of accomplishment when you're done is what it's all about. I've made a deal with myself to run a full every (5) years. Last one I did was my 40th BDay....43 now, so I have a couple years.

I enjoy running. Especially trail runs. I do it for mental health these days more than the physical benefit.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #571 on: September 06, 2019, 01:00:03 PM »

I've only done (2) Full Marathons....have done countless Halve's....but I can tell you despite the Full's being demanding and tough....the sense of accomplishment when you're done is what it's all about. I've made a deal with myself to run a full every (5) years. Last one I did was my 40th BDay....43 now, so I have a couple years.

I enjoy running. Especially trail runs. I do it for mental health these days more than the physical benefit.
Yeah, I can imagine feeling great even after finishing that 13.5 or half marathon and that's where I want to start.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: September 07, 2019, 06:02:06 AM »
First time ever I'm pulling the plug on race day. Been battling a bit of a tweaked back and woke up this morning to go run this race and it's barking big time. Think I'm doing the right thing by listening to my body but it's such a puss move.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #573 on: September 07, 2019, 07:01:01 AM »
First time ever I'm pulling the plug on race day. Been battling a bit of a tweaked back and woke up this morning to go run this race and it's barking big time. Think I'm doing the right thing by listening to my body but it's such a puss move.

Exercise is about building your body, not your ego.  No such thing as a puss move.

And at our age, all the more important to be smart than to be proud.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: September 07, 2019, 07:34:05 AM »

Exercise is about building your body, not your ego.  No such thing as a puss move.

Yeah....you’re right Chad and that’s why I made the choice. Believe me....it was a battle with my ego and pride.

In years past I’ve been able to get away with ‘winging’ these half marathons on minimal training due to how much I was running in general. But as I walked around the kitchen this morning getting ready for the race I couldn’t ignore how my back felt. I know it was the right call.....just have never made that call before so I’m feeling the hit to my pride at the moment.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: September 07, 2019, 01:55:09 PM »
Got to take care of yourself first, nothing wrong with pulling out

Havent joined Chad in the gym the last two days, but I'm averaging 19k steps a day for progpower.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #576 on: September 07, 2019, 02:41:08 PM »

Amen to that.  My sciatica has been bugging me a little this summer, but I recently lost like 10 lbs and it feels mostly better, and now I am trying to get back into lifting a little after a few months away from it.  And of course when I go to the gym, there are always guys there lifting small cities to get as ripped as possible, which can sometimes make you wanna lift to get strong like that, but you have to be realistic.  At 46, my goal is to just stay trim and healthy, so I have no problem putting my ego aside and doing more reps with very little weight.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: September 08, 2019, 04:25:41 AM »
My Sunday morning run was 8km this morning.  Best time yet too (for me).  Felt pretty strong.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #578 on: September 08, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »
What’s a good pair of bluetooth in ear headphones for running? I have the Jaybirds X4 but they are too short. I’ve tried the Bose Soundsport but they let a lot of the ambient noise in.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: September 08, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »
What’s a good pair of bluetooth in ear headphones for running? I have the Jaybirds X4 but they are too short. I’ve tried the Bose Soundsport but they let a lot of the ambient noise in.

I've had the same Plantronics Backbeat FIT for over three years now and they're great. Very durable, comfortable and the battery holds a charge really well.

https://pl.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/59933-498517/Plantronics-Backbeat-FIT.html?cid=296842&chid=4272&promo_code=5OFFPROMO&gclid=CjwKCAjwzdLrBRBiEiwAEHrAYlYyqEJIs61K0PjgEwQXYxUyX_lGrsUoctVHSxOaWi8pOzm1d-IdjxoCCUsQAvD_BwE

Offline H2

« Reply #580 on: September 09, 2019, 01:09:07 PM »
I got these and they are just fine: https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Headphones-Cancelling-Earphones-Waterproof/dp/B07KR62YBD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=headphones&qid=1568055690&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNVBYOU83NkJDQlNKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODU4NzAyMkJQTFRWSUE5Q0lSUSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODQ4MjQ3MlFaVDNUWDNYNjVEQiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Keto still going well. Definitely feeling that flat/small/weak feeling from being in a low-carb calorie deficit for a while. I know it's purely mental (and a quick search reveals that lots of people experience this with cutting) and I know I just need to keep calm and keep going. Haven't lost strength, went down from 33 to 30 pants, so I know I'm doing just fine. But dang if I don't superficially feel that I'm doing something wrong. Goal is 10% body fat and I'm gonna keep on it (suspect that will be around 140 lb and 28 pants). Just a few more months really.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:35:29 PM by H2 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: September 15, 2019, 03:57:38 AM »
Keto still going well. Definitely feeling that flat/small/weak feeling from being in a low-carb calorie deficit for a while. I know it's purely mental (and a quick search reveals that lots of people experience this with cutting) and I know I just need to keep calm and keep going. Haven't lost strength, went down from 33 to 30 pants, so I know I'm doing just fine. But dang if I don't superficially feel that I'm doing something wrong. Goal is 10% body fat and I'm gonna keep on it (suspect that will be around 140 lb and 28 pants). Just a few more months really.

Be very careful.  I've been in this state long term with devestating results.  Went so far backwards it wasn't funny.  If you haven't lost strength though, that's positive.  Pay very very close attention to your strength and gym performance though.  As soon as you start to feel like you are losing momentum and strength in the gym, change it up.  It's doing more harm than good.

Offline H2

« Reply #582 on: September 16, 2019, 10:09:59 AM »

Be very careful.  I've been in this state long term with devestating results.  Went so far backwards it wasn't funny.  If you haven't lost strength though, that's positive.  Pay very very close attention to your strength and gym performance though.  As soon as you start to feel like you are losing momentum and strength in the gym, change it up.  It's doing more harm than good.
I'll be careful. "You'll be dead!"

Nah, I'm OK overall. Thanks for the warning. I'm making it sound worse then it is. I know what you're talking about though. Previously when I've cut without lifting, I've had gnarly results as well. But my strength has been just fine, 30 lbs later. (I've dropped from 185 to 155 over the past year. Maybe I'll put a picture up when I'm done.)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: September 17, 2019, 03:17:16 PM »
Haven't lifted any weights in awhile since I seem to keep hurting myself, my finger almost breaking in the babymetal moshpit the other night being the latest cause.  However, the rest of my body was well enough to hit the bike hard today, best I've done since my vacation started.  Diet took a small hit in Atlanta and Aruba, but mostly not that bad surprisingly.  I'm back on my oatmeal lunches and light dinners though since I've been back home.  Next week is Vegas, I think I am going to hit up a buffet there and have at least that one reward meal.  It might be hard to keep it to only one reward meal though, we shall see.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: September 17, 2019, 06:24:57 PM »
I was 'off' last week because of the bug I contracted at the end of my vacation.  Now that I'm over it, mrs.jingle is sick, and I've had to pick up some slack around here (taking jingle.son back to school) so I'm not sure if I'll get back into my routine for a few more days.

Le sigh.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: September 17, 2019, 06:29:24 PM »
Your wife got the progpower bug? damn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: September 17, 2019, 06:53:43 PM »
Thankfully, something different ... so she couldn't blame it on me.   :lol

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #587 on: September 17, 2019, 09:09:06 PM »
Following my last big running race last December (CIM in Sacramento), I fell off the wagon hardcore.  Most of it was due to awaiting the arrival of my firstborn and taking care of him after his birth.  I had a couple races, but wasn't regularly running and definitely wasn't hitting the gym.  So it wasn't a surprise to me when I discovered that my running speed, endurance, and strength had all tanked.

Over the last month, though, I've been bit by the bug again.  I've got a half marathon in less than a month, and I just signed up for the Redding Marathon in January next year.  Might also run another half marathon in Bend with friends in November.  I'm still inconsistent with my weight training, but I've been running more regularly for the past month and I'm finally starting to feel like my old self again.  It definitely helps having some events to look forward to so that I stay consistently active and motivated.

Sorry to hear about your back forcing you to the sidelines, gmiller.  That definitely sucks...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: September 18, 2019, 07:45:05 AM »
Sorry to hear about your back forcing you to the sidelines, gmiller.  That definitely sucks...

Thanks. I haven't ran in three weeks now. I've played a couple hockey games but no running. Just resting it. It's one of those weird things where it doesn't really 'hurt' but a random move or something will send a shooting surge of pain every now and then. I have an 8 mile trail run on 10/26 so I was going to start back up again towards the end of this week.

That's quite a schedule of races you have lined up! That's one way to get back into the swing of things  :lol 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: September 28, 2019, 09:14:08 AM »
I rewarded myself a bit too much in vegas, enough to say I definitely cheated.  Ate 3 buffets, late night white castle, and a few 4am breakfasts  :lol My finger is still busted so I still can't lift weights and I haven't rode my bike since getting home.  I do plan on getting right back into my diet/exercise habits, but honestly, it may not start until tomorrow or Monday as I adjust back into normal work life.  As much as that sucks, the benefit is getting back onto a normal schedule which helps me keep my exercise habits. 

I was chatting with a girl working in a shop in CA near Death Valley.  She told me I looked really good and could probably get any girl I wanted just by saying hi.  That was not only really nice thing to say, being a cute young girl herself, it was definitely a nice confidence boost and motivation to keep working hard.  Also, it's totally not true since I've spoke to many girls and none seemed too interested  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: September 28, 2019, 09:30:38 AM »
Did you immediately say ‘hi’ to her after she told you that? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: September 28, 2019, 11:17:07 AM »

:lol no, if this was not a stop in the middle of no where I would have tried since she was really cute, but there was no point.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: September 28, 2019, 11:51:05 AM »

Beat me to it.

Offline H2

« Reply #593 on: September 28, 2019, 04:31:08 PM »
You guys ever get this thing where you get into one dimension of exercise so much that you don't wanna do the other stuff? After building up my mileage to about an hour a session, all I wanna do is run, and lifting sounds like so much of a chore. I haven't lifted for like a week even though I know I should! How do you guys manage a balance?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: September 29, 2019, 04:38:51 AM »
Can't say I've ever been there.  I love my lifting (with weights or just body weight), along with HIIT and steady state cardio.  Running doesn't excite me at all, unless it's sprints/HIIT.