Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 191501 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!
« Reply #3150 on: May 28, 2023, 03:58:20 AM »
Well fucking done, Kade. You get additional kudos on here for that.

Thanks brother.  Wasn't aiming for it but felt pretty fucking strong this morning, especially after a 22km the day before.

My goal at the start of the year was a half at 5 minute pace or under but I'm pretty fucking happy with that one to be not far off.

With some work stress lately it's been good being able to get out there, no music just focus.  Just hope the legs pull up okay.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3151 on: May 28, 2023, 04:00:43 AM »
Damn, I thought maybe it was a bit colder. Good luck.
I ran an evening half marathon in August last year. Even thought it started at 19:14 (not a typo) it was really hot. I don't think I'll go this year but maybe I all run 7 or 14 km course (it's basically 7km course with 1, 2 or 3 laps depending on a race).

My very first marathon was an evening start (around 19h). It was on the summer solstice weekend,  and was marketed at race the twilight. Being as far north as we are, the sun doesn't set until 23h on the solstice. It was an interesting experience,  but i much prefer morning races.  I found it tough to prepare mentally and physically for the late start.

Wow, that would be a interesting experience for sure.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3152 on: May 30, 2023, 08:45:55 PM »
Ruslan, nice 10km time there.  A sub 5:00 10km is a great achievement.  Looking at your splits were you blowing hard come the final few kms or were they intentionally slower?  I see however there was a little elevation in one of those last ones which probably didn't help.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3153 on: May 30, 2023, 10:09:24 PM »
Ruslan, nice 10km time there.  A sub 5:00 10km is a great achievement.  Looking at your splits were you blowing hard come the final few kms or were they intentionally slower?  I see however there was a little elevation in one of those last ones which probably didn't help.

Thank you Kade! I'm pretty happy with that time too.

The last two km drop wasn't intentional at all. If anything I usually try to go faster in the end but I guess I didn't have it in me at that point.

I went a little too hard on the first 5k, so slowed down a bit on the 6th, after that I thought I was good until I suddenly wasn't somewhere after hitting 8k. I did feel that incline for sure :lol I don't think I could've held the sub-5:00 pace for much longer tbh.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3154 on: May 31, 2023, 02:30:54 AM »
Yeah, that's a great time. 50 min is a mental barrier that just need to be knocked down. From now on, you'll probably get faster and faster, once you know you can do it :biggrin:

My 10k is on Saturday, 7PM. Legs are fine now but temperature could be a problem. I know most people are slower when temperature is over 20C but I feel like I'm dead in just a few minutes when it's hot, don't know how to overcome it :-\
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3155 on: May 31, 2023, 04:10:34 AM »

Thank you Kade! I'm pretty happy with that time too.

The last two km drop wasn't intentional at all. If anything I usually try to go faster in the end but I guess I didn't have it in me at that point.

I went a little too hard on the first 5k, so slowed down a bit on the 6th, after that I thought I was good until I suddenly wasn't somewhere after hitting 8k. I did feel that incline for sure :lol I don't think I could've held the sub-5:00 pace for much longer tbh.

Yes, this is what I was going to say if the drop in pace wasn't intentional.  Took me ages to ease into it and not go hard out of the gates.  First km was fine but I think km 2 and 3 were just a little too much too early.

Still great progress man.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3156 on: May 31, 2023, 04:12:27 AM »
Yeah, that's a great time. 50 min is a mental barrier that just need to be knocked down. From now on, you'll probably get faster and faster, once you know you can do it :biggrin:

My 10k is on Saturday, 7PM. Legs are fine now but temperature could be a problem. I know most people are slower when temperature is over 20C but I feel like I'm dead in just a few minutes when it's hot, don't know how to overcome it :-\

I have that problem in the cold at the moment not use to it lol.

It's a tough one though, are you well hydrated beforehand?  Maybe some electrolytes?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3157 on: May 31, 2023, 05:34:58 AM »
I don't think that's a problem but I could try to drink more beforehand. I usually refrain from drinking an hour before race to avoid bathroom needs ;D but I might try a few sips of sport drink in last 10 minutes or so, it won't be a problem.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3158 on: May 31, 2023, 06:12:23 AM »
I don't think that's a problem but I could try to drink more beforehand. I usually refrain from drinking an hour before race to avoid bathroom needs ;D but I might try a few sips of sport drink in last 10 minutes or so, it won't be a problem.

Even though I said that, I hate drinking a lot before a run.  Weighs me down and sloshes around in my stomach lol.

Maybe some training Rocky style in heavy clothing or something lol?  I dunno hey, when it's hot weather, it's simply impossible to escape it.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3159 on: June 04, 2023, 09:23:53 AM »
Kade and Tomi - solid 10k runs, both of you :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3160 on: June 04, 2023, 05:43:26 PM »
Kade and Tomi - solid 10k runs, both of you :tup

Thanks mate.  Yesterday felt good.  This morning, not so much. :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3161 on: June 05, 2023, 02:20:42 AM »
Thanks. But I went for PR so I'm not satisfied. My calves hurt lately so I couldn't put into a higher gear. Combination of that and course having stairs (twice up and twice down) left me with less good of a result.

Also, that was a great 15k pace for easy run, Ruslan :tup

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3162 on: June 17, 2023, 04:36:52 PM »
Kade,  how are the legs after that PR in the half? T'was a beauty!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3163 on: June 17, 2023, 05:50:33 PM »
Kade,  how are the legs after that PR in the half? T'was a beauty!

Thanks Rich, yeah I'm pretty stoked to be honest that was a goal I had at the start of the year.  Yesterdays run I just warmed into it and thought I could get under the 5 around 14-15km but I'd started out of the gates too slow.  Today I woke up feeling not too bad and again had the thought in the back of my mind of trying again depending on my start.  I started this morning a bit too hard and felt really shitty around the 7km mark.  Was just going to do give it up and do a 12-15km whatever pace run as I saw I hadn't cracked under the 5:00 mark at all at that point but got a second wind at the 10km mark.  That little loop I go around is dead flat and mentally can really just hammer around it as many times as I need to.  It's around 700m a loop so once the second wind came in I put the head down and told myself to keep going and see what happens.

The legs were actually okay through it but the main thing I had was some stomach issues from too much over indulging last night lol.  At the 10km mark my pace was around a 5:06 average.  I had the thought once the second wind came in to see if I could do a few km at around 4:54-4:55 pace to start chipping at the 5:00 average mark.  Faltered a bit around 13km but got a third wind at around 14km.  Was able to get the pace down to around 4:50, so I knew if I could do that past the 15km point, I'd be in for a shot. 

16km, the pace felt really comfortable so I knew I could do it.  One thing that threw me was getting text messages from work.  It was around 7:45am and nine times out of ten on the weekend, I get a text about something if the staff arrive and somethings off.  It went ping at 17km and just was able to ignore it and busted out two more kms.  By the 19km mark, I was still at around that 4:50 so knew it was on.  Headed home/pool (that pool is closed for winter so I like parking there leaving my things inside and heading out) and nailed it!

I've had ongoing issues with my right leg but that's held up nicely especially after a long one yesterday.  Was getting tightness in my left glute and now sitting at home with a coffee, it's pretty tight, but nothing major yet.  The hammies are pretty sore though.  Will do a big rolling and stretching session this arvo and should be alight.  I know a trot out tomorrow morning will be a sore slow one.

Happy though, definitely getting fitter and that was a major goal I've ticked off that I wasn't sure if I was ever going to get.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3164 on: June 18, 2023, 03:11:46 AM »
Just saw that Kade, congrats! Getting a major goal like this is pretty big, happy for you. I definitely noticed that 700m loop on your runs before and I was like "man doesn't he get tired of running in circles?" :lol I said it before, one of the major reasons I wanted to train for long distance running is to see new places/neighbourhoods around.

Also it feels like it's only four of us in this thread. :lol
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 07:03:19 AM by Evermind »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3165 on: June 18, 2023, 03:43:52 AM »
Just saw that Kade, congrats! Getting a major goal like this is pretty big, happy for you. I definitely noticed that 700m loop on your runs before and I was like "man doesn't he get tired of running in circles?" :lol I said it before, one of the major reasons I wanted to train for long distance running is to see new places/neighborhoods around.

Also it feels like it's only four of us in this thread. :lol

Yeah, I'm a bit hard hardcore and crazy like that.  I love seeing new things too but get too distracted haha.

Yeah, bit of a private chat in here now hey.  Chad used to visit in here.  Hopefully he's getting his ass into gear and can come in soon.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3166 on: June 18, 2023, 03:46:57 AM »
Well he did change the thread title a couple of weeks ago, so I assume he's still reading at least.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3167 on: June 18, 2023, 04:03:18 AM »
I might shame him into coming in here and posting.  :biggrin:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3168 on: June 18, 2023, 06:10:50 AM »
Congrats, Kade ;D I hope I'll get under 5:00 this year as well but I'm not sure when.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3169 on: June 19, 2023, 03:58:12 AM »
Thanks Tomi.  Just keep chipping and don't put pressure on yourself.  It will come.  :tup

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3170 on: June 19, 2023, 07:13:12 AM »
That's amazing, congrats man. I just restarted running a week ago, nothing even remotely close to what you all do. My goal is to eventually run a half marathon this year. Then maybe next year a full one. Long way to go for me, first step has been to change eating habits, get more workouts done lose a ton of weight and aim for longer distances.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3171 on: June 19, 2023, 12:16:04 PM »
That's amazing, congrats man. I just restarted running a week ago, nothing even remotely close to what you all do. My goal is to eventually run a half marathon this year. Then maybe next year a full one. Long way to go for me, first step has been to change eating habits, get more workouts done lose a ton of weight and aim for longer distances.

:tup

That's pretty much my goal as well. I did set a time/pace goal for my half-marathons as well but honestly as long as I'll finish them (and it does begin to look likely at this point and man, the deadline is closer and closer now - 7 weeks until my first official race ever) I'm probably good.

Not saying it's easy either physically or mentally, but apparently it is doable and so far actually quite rewarding. If you're on Strava I can follow you, if not, feel welcome to post your progress here as it's usually too quiet in here anyway. :)

Meanwhile there's Kade casually running five 10k and 2 half-marathons in a single week :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3172 on: June 19, 2023, 12:32:57 PM »
I just have the Nike running app that keeps track. First aim is to get to 5k, baby steps. Depending the progress I make end of the year half marathon might be possible. Going to really push the next few weeks.

Meanwhile there's Kade casually running five 10k and 2 half-marathons in a single week :lol

Yeah that's crazy impressive!  :metal
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3173 on: July 16, 2023, 04:10:09 AM »
I guess at this point I really should think about getting a watch with an accurate GPS. Here's my control run route today and what Samsung Health gave me :lol

vs

Three weeks until the official race so it's time to tone it down a bit. With all the stress at work I don't know if I'll beat the 5:40/km goal but we'll see.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3174 on: July 16, 2023, 04:37:21 AM »
Ztrava says 17km in 1 hour.  Holy hell that's quick haha!

Your race is a half, was that right?  Easy 5.40 mate.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3175 on: July 16, 2023, 04:44:14 AM »
Ztrava says 17km in 1 hour.  Holy hell that's quick haha!

Your race is a half, was that right?  Easy 5.40 mate.

I saw that on Strava but I'm not sure if I can fix it :lol

Yeah it's a half. There are days when 5:40/km is easy but today I actually struggled to do 5:54/km. Not enough sleep and too much stress at work I suppose.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3176 on: July 16, 2023, 04:57:25 AM »
Don't take the stress on your runs mate.  Use the runs to give yourself a rest from it all.

Sleep though I agree is a crucial element.  Get yourself some coffee or pre workout beforehand and you'll be sweet!  ;D

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3177 on: July 16, 2023, 05:26:58 AM »
Well he did change the thread title a couple of weeks ago, so I assume he's still reading at least.

Periodically. I was on the ball working out for about 5 years, then early ‘22 injured my shoulder and ran into a pretty serious bought of depression and simply fell off the wagon. I’m trying to gear up to get back on that wagon in the next few weeks.  🤞🏻
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3178 on: July 16, 2023, 05:03:05 PM »
I actually debated putting this in the Funny Thread, but I've joined a gym, and I start tomorrow!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3179 on: July 16, 2023, 05:08:41 PM »
I actually debated putting this in the Funny Thread, but I've joined a gym, and I start tomorrow!  :lol

Mate, that's fucking outstanding!!!  Not funny at all, brilliant.  I'm stoked for you.

Any advice you need, ask away.  Are you getting personal training sessions to start with or doing things on your own?  What's your goals too?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3180 on: July 16, 2023, 05:22:11 PM »

Mate, that's fucking outstanding!!!  Not funny at all, brilliant.  I'm stoked for you.

Any advice you need, ask away.  Are you getting personal training sessions to start with or doing things on your own?  What's your goals too?

Right now, my only goal is to actually make it there. :lol

So my youngest son has been working out for a few years, and my wife wanted to join. She's been going for a couple of weeks with a close friend, and they've been doing classes and treadmill stuff.

We decided to do a Family Plan thing so we'll get my oldest son out of the house. For him, we'll start once or twice a week for the rest of the summer and kick it up to three times a week after Labor Day.
For me, I'd like to get there 4 or 5 times a week.

I am going tomorrow to basically put my body on notice. I won't get back until Thursday because my mother is having surgery on Tuesday and I'll be spending the day with her on Wednesday. But I'm starting this week.

My legs need strengthening and my shoulders have shrunk a bit in the last 10 years.

I've been to the gym at various points in my life, though not since I got married. But since then, I have had spurts of working out at home. I have enough weights and equipment here to suffice.
As far as training, I'm good. I know enough to build a program for myself. I'm not looking at gaining or getting to something in particular. My main thing will be consistency and commitment. I'll be 55 in a couple of months, and I have felt some slippage, so I just really want to regain some of my strength back and improve my overall fitness.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3181 on: July 16, 2023, 05:32:45 PM »
Brilliant mate.  You hit the right word on the head too, consistency. 

Consistency, patience, persistentance and making it a regular routine you hold yourself accountable to will get you far.  Sounds like you have a good grasp on things and have the knowledge.

There's so much free info out there anyway and 95 percent of personal trainers are fucking hacks anyway.  Just wasn't sure how much background you had.

Good to hear though for when I make it over there we'll be able to go for a 10 mile run!  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3182 on: July 16, 2023, 05:39:56 PM »
Brilliant mate.  You hit the right word on the head too, consistency. 

Consistency, patience, persistentance and making it a regular routine you hold yourself accountable to will get you far.  Sounds like you have a good grasp on things and have the knowledge.

There's so much free info out there anyway and 95 percent of personal trainers are fucking hacks anyway.  Just wasn't sure how much background you had.

Good to hear though for when I make it over there we'll be able to go for a 10 mile run!  ;D

I'll be in my car though. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3183 on: July 16, 2023, 06:05:34 PM »
 I can't run 55!  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3184 on: July 16, 2023, 06:30:18 PM »

Nice work Tim! Best of luck on your health journey
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind