Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192974 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. don't neglect rest/recovery!
« Reply #3080 on: April 13, 2023, 02:57:13 PM »
 :lol  Im taking that as a compliment!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3081 on: April 13, 2023, 02:58:13 PM »
Speaking of being able to eat cake, time to run!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3082 on: April 15, 2023, 04:30:28 AM »
Nice time in your half marathon Tomi!! Nice pace pickup in the back end too.  185 HR!!  :eek Was the slower couple of km's in the middle intentional?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3083 on: April 15, 2023, 05:28:52 AM »
Nice time in your half marathon Tomi!! Nice pace pickup in the back end too.  185 HR!!  :eek Was the slower couple of km's in the middle intentional?

Care to post it since I'm not on Strava or wherever you can see it?

185 heart rate? That's insane.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3084 on: April 15, 2023, 05:32:47 AM »

4 in the morning, 8 ball of coke, chain smoking while bullshitting with friends. I've been there. *shrug*
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3085 on: April 15, 2023, 05:33:03 AM »

Care to post it since I'm not on Strava or wherever you can see it?

I might let him share mate.  I wouldn't feel right giving details away.  I'm sure he will be on soon to share.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3086 on: April 15, 2023, 07:51:04 AM »
Yes, well done Tom! Out of curiosity,  how often do you race? It seems like quite frequently.

I can't even imagine having an avg HR of 175 for over an hour.  I'll average 160-165 for an hour when xc skiing, but as soon as my HR crests 170 i can feel the tank depleting. Then again,  i hit 40 years old in March, so reaching 180bpm is getting close to theoretical heart attack range

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3087 on: April 15, 2023, 11:52:42 AM »
Thank you.
I go near 200 HR sometimes, I guess it's just normal for me. I don't look at my heart rate in absolutes really but set HR zones and most of my running was in zones 3 and 4 today, only near the end I went to zone 5 as I picked up the pace. My resting heart rate is under 50 btw.
Sadly, those lower pace kms in the middle were due to side stitch (pain). It's really weird since I didn't have that pain since June last year. Also, so weird I had it at 10 km mark when I run 10 km runs a lot and at much faster pace. I think I found a problem (hydration) but I will test it on my next half. My goal was 1:45 but due to some walking in the middle I finished with 1:50. I'm happy with that because pain was so strong I was almost ready to give up but with some walking and deep breaths it almost completely went away and I somehow managed to run the rest of the race. It may be due to nerves (I was writing about being laid off in my roulette thread), I didn't sleep much for the last 2 days :lol

Yes, well done Tom! Out of curiosity,  how often do you race? It seems like quite frequently.
Thanks. There is a Saturday semi-official league in my city, that's why I have any race almost every Saturday. It's just a local sport association organizing a race but more of a hang out with cookies and drinks :lol I do it as a training, especially when I do tougher 10k because I feel it's easier than just running alone.

For reference, here's a video for heart rate zones and how to calculate them https://youtu.be/tRx1bwsd2DA
For example, I do most of my easy runs (and they really do feel easy for me) in zone 2 which is HR 148-160 which might feel like a lot for  some of you.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3088 on: April 15, 2023, 02:02:56 PM »
1:50 is still very solid. I'd be glad if I'll do it under 2 hours. I know it's below your goal but still glad for you man!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3089 on: April 15, 2023, 02:10:03 PM »
Thank you. Yeah, it's a bit slower that what I wanted but still a massive improvement over last year's 1:59. And I know I can get near that 1:45 in the next one (May 27th) because today there were no problems other that pain in a few middle kms.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3090 on: April 15, 2023, 02:18:10 PM »
You recovered well from that stitch looking at the times though.

I'll check that video.  Easy runs at 148-160HR?  Wow.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3091 on: April 15, 2023, 03:57:46 PM »
Zone 2 at my age ends at 145bpm lol. And yes, i would consider zone 2 easy. Sub 2hr halfs definitely wouldn't be anywhere near zone 2 for me though

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3092 on: April 16, 2023, 03:49:06 AM »
We've discussed it before, but my legs and muscles hold me back well before my heart rate a lot of the times.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3093 on: April 16, 2023, 05:16:49 AM »
Out of curiosity Tomi, how're you measuring your HR? I often find my watch doesn't seem very accurate for that.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3094 on: April 16, 2023, 07:59:44 AM »
For cycling, i find the watch gives a reasonably close measurement compared to my chest strap. It tends to lag on updating though, so it's not great if I'm trying to make pace adjustments based on HR. Per a cyclingweekly.com article last week (i did not fact check their article, but they did quote a study) the wrist monitors can be 20% off compared to a chest strap, and it gets worse the more you move. It's probably more accurate for cycling than running or swimming  simply because there's less arm movement.

From my experience swimming,  i will absolutely vouch for this. I've manually checked my HR in the pool to compare against my watch,  and they've been quite far apart. Except for my commute to work, i always just wear the chest strap

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3095 on: April 16, 2023, 09:16:37 AM »
Out of curiosity Tomi, how're you measuring your HR? I often find my watch doesn't seem very accurate for that.
Yep, watch only. I know it might not be accurate and I will definitely invest in chest strap HR monitor sometime soon. But I figured even if wrist monitor isn't 100% accurate relative numbers (differences) should still be somewhat accurate.
I still need to check those monitor further, I know Garmins should be fine (especially since I use Garmin watch) but they seem pricey.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3096 on: April 16, 2023, 07:00:30 PM »
Yep, watch only. I know it might not be accurate and I will definitely invest in chest strap HR monitor sometime soon. But I figured even if wrist monitor isn't 100% accurate relative numbers (differences) should still be somewhat accurate.
I still need to check those monitor further, I know Garmins should be fine (especially since I use Garmin watch) but they seem pricey.

I was out the other day and had a look at them.  Good lord!  You can pay up to $1500, just for a watch!!!  :eek

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3097 on: April 16, 2023, 07:04:37 PM »
Damn, fucked something in my ankle yesterday/this morning.  Feels like a bad shin splint but in just one leg.  I'm hoping it's just over tightness radiating down and last time I was able to relieve it but a lot of trigger pointing and massaging on the calf. 

I think I overdid it last week.  Clocked up 91km and then an 8km this morning.  Happy with the volume but I guess you pay the price sometimes.  Unfortunately, might need a couple of days off.  :(

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3098 on: April 17, 2023, 05:52:13 PM »
Well, I'm going to crow a little bit.  I'm down 30 pounds since July 25th and 14 pounds since January when I began lifting and working with my trainer.  Best part was closet diving before my trip to Hawaii and finding so many things that I bought during the pandemic that I could never fit into or wouldn't feel comfortable in.  All of my brand new summer clothing fits, including swim suits and I'm feeling more toned and leaner than I have in years.  The Hawaii trip was a great motivator and once I get back, I put in another hard push for the last 20 pounds - hopefully by the end of the year because for me, slow and steady seems to be best.  I've got a few exercise band workouts to do while I'm gone and I'll be getting in tons of walking.  But I am taking a 10 day break from logging my food intake.  I know the scale will go up after I get back.  I also know it will go back down again pretty fast after I get back on the horse.

So I saw this little fitness questionnaire and thought I'd see if you all wanted to try it out.  Are the following statements true or myth?

1.  If you want to be fit, you have to exercise really, really hard every single day.
2.  Carbs and sugar make you fat
3.  If you are not sore after a workout, you didn't work hard enough.
4.  If you want a six pack, you have to do more ab exercises
5.  You need a gym membership to get fit
6.  If you want to lose under arm fat then you have to do tricep exercises
7.  Your body needs to be cleansed or detoxified
8.  Strength training will make you bulky
9.  Sweating more means you burn more calories
10. You have to eat protein 30 minutes after a workout
11. You have to cut out fast food if you want to lose weight

Nice work!  :tup :tup

I suspect most or all of your statements are pretty true, although when it comes to losing weight, diet is like 90% of it, at least for me. Even when I was younger, I could work out for two hours a day and wouldn't drop a pound until I ate better.  Of course, everyone is different, so (the general) you do what is best for you.

Thanks!  But all of those statements are absolutely false. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3099 on: April 17, 2023, 06:00:15 PM »
Well, I'm going to crow a little bit.  I'm down 30 pounds since July 25th and 14 pounds since January when I began lifting and working with my trainer.  Best part was closet diving before my trip to Hawaii and finding so many things that I bought during the pandemic that I could never fit into or wouldn't feel comfortable in.  All of my brand new summer clothing fits, including swim suits and I'm feeling more toned and leaner than I have in years.  The Hawaii trip was a great motivator and once I get back, I put in another hard push for the last 20 pounds - hopefully by the end of the year because for me, slow and steady seems to be best.

Congrats! Not only on the weight loss but also on what seems a much healthier approach. The bold seems to be true for most things, and most people.

This is what most irks me about certain really popular fad diets—people using them to lose weight quickly without a mind toward total health. I often look at those diets and think, if losing weight quickly is the goal and you're willing to eat a very restrictive and imbalanced diet to achieve that goal, why not take up smoking and let the nicotine suppress your appetite? Why not take up meth? Obviously I'm being somewhat facetious, but I think there's something to it: there aren't many better illustrations of our pervasive unhealthfulness than the fact that so many equate rapid weight loss with health. It's a sick approach to sickness.

You are so right.  And I think that is what upsets me the most thinking back on the YEARS of yoyo dieting.  The whole purpose was to drop the number on the scale as quickly as possible.  And sometimes I could do it amazingly well.  The problem is that nobody can continue that - unless they develop an eating disorder.  These fad diets are simply not sustainable.  The one that I see people talking about now is Noom.  They recommend something like 1200 calories a day.  That is literally what is recommended for an average sized child.  Plus they use a red light, yellow light, green light method which castigates food into good or bad categories.  It's all bullshit.  I eat over 2000 calories a day with an average of 130 grams of protein (I should really get more) and I am never hungry.  I never want to binge.  I'm learning what it takes to eat foods I enjoy in moderation in a way I can continue on for the rest of my life.  I can go out to restaurants.  I can enjoy holidays and special events without letting it derail anything.  It feels great.  Why did it take me so long to figure this out?  :'(

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3100 on: April 17, 2023, 06:04:25 PM »
Damn, fucked something in my ankle yesterday/this morning.  Feels like a bad shin splint but in just one leg.  I'm hoping it's just over tightness radiating down and last time I was able to relieve it but a lot of trigger pointing and massaging on the calf. 

I think I overdid it last week.  Clocked up 91km and then an 8km this morning.  Happy with the volume but I guess you pay the price sometimes.  Unfortunately, might need a couple of days off.  :(

You runners amaze me.  I can't run unless someone or something is chasing me.   :lol

Sorry to hear about your injury.  When my shin splints start talking to me I know it is time for a new pair of shoes.

Rest up.  Listen to your body.  A couple of days is nothing.  You can always focus on upper body. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3101 on: April 17, 2023, 06:10:48 PM »

You runners amaze me.  I can't run unless someone or something is chasing me.   :lol

Sorry to hear about your injury.  When my shin splints start talking to me I know it is time for a new pair of shoes.

Rest up.  Listen to your body.  A couple of days is nothing.  You can always focus on upper body.

Thanks Harmony.  I went from not even being able to run 100m without feeling like I was going to die.  Like everything, it takes time and persistence.  Just have to be prepared to take baby steps each day.

Yeah, the ankle is pretty niggly this morning.  Not sure, hoping by the weekend now I can get back out there.  Definitely related to calf tightness I think.  But it gets so tight, it's impossible to budge even with massage where you bruise yourself.    Yeah, will focus on heavy weights each afternoon.  might jump on the rower or something afterwards to get the heartrate going.  It is what it is.  It happens and I'm always just so shit at recovery.  I'm better but the extra kms last week obviously took its toll.  No regrets though.  Just has become part of my morning routine so today I'm even more of a grumpy bastard.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3102 on: April 17, 2023, 06:11:44 PM »
Well, I'm going to crow a little bit.  I'm down 30 pounds since July 25th and 14 pounds since January when I began lifting and working with my trainer.  Best part was closet diving before my trip to Hawaii and finding so many things that I bought during the pandemic that I could never fit into or wouldn't feel comfortable in.  All of my brand new summer clothing fits, including swim suits and I'm feeling more toned and leaner than I have in years.  The Hawaii trip was a great motivator and once I get back, I put in another hard push for the last 20 pounds - hopefully by the end of the year because for me, slow and steady seems to be best.  I've got a few exercise band workouts to do while I'm gone and I'll be getting in tons of walking.  But I am taking a 10 day break from logging my food intake.  I know the scale will go up after I get back.  I also know it will go back down again pretty fast after I get back on the horse.

So I saw this little fitness questionnaire and thought I'd see if you all wanted to try it out.  Are the following statements true or myth?

1.  If you want to be fit, you have to exercise really, really hard every single day.
2.  Carbs and sugar make you fat
3.  If you are not sore after a workout, you didn't work hard enough.
4.  If you want a six pack, you have to do more ab exercises
5.  You need a gym membership to get fit
6.  If you want to lose under arm fat then you have to do tricep exercises
7.  Your body needs to be cleansed or detoxified
8.  Strength training will make you bulky
9.  Sweating more means you burn more calories
10. You have to eat protein 30 minutes after a workout
11. You have to cut out fast food if you want to lose weight

Nice work!  :tup :tup

I suspect most or all of your statements are pretty true, although when it comes to losing weight, diet is like 90% of it, at least for me. Even when I was younger, I could work out for two hours a day and wouldn't drop a pound until I ate better.  Of course, everyone is different, so (the general) you do what is best for you.

Thanks!  But all of those statements are absolutely false.

Ah, good.  I was hoping you didn't actually believe these.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3103 on: April 17, 2023, 06:27:16 PM »
Well, I'm going to crow a little bit.  I'm down 30 pounds since July 25th and 14 pounds since January when I began lifting and working with my trainer.  Best part was closet diving before my trip to Hawaii and finding so many things that I bought during the pandemic that I could never fit into or wouldn't feel comfortable in.  All of my brand new summer clothing fits, including swim suits and I'm feeling more toned and leaner than I have in years.  The Hawaii trip was a great motivator and once I get back, I put in another hard push for the last 20 pounds - hopefully by the end of the year because for me, slow and steady seems to be best.

Congrats! Not only on the weight loss but also on what seems a much healthier approach. The bold seems to be true for most things, and most people.

This is what most irks me about certain really popular fad diets—people using them to lose weight quickly without a mind toward total health. I often look at those diets and think, if losing weight quickly is the goal and you're willing to eat a very restrictive and imbalanced diet to achieve that goal, why not take up smoking and let the nicotine suppress your appetite? Why not take up meth? Obviously I'm being somewhat facetious, but I think there's something to it: there aren't many better illustrations of our pervasive unhealthfulness than the fact that so many equate rapid weight loss with health. It's a sick approach to sickness.

You are so right.  And I think that is what upsets me the most thinking back on the YEARS of yoyo dieting.  The whole purpose was to drop the number on the scale as quickly as possible.  And sometimes I could do it amazingly well.  The problem is that nobody can continue that - unless they develop an eating disorder.  These fad diets are simply not sustainable.  The one that I see people talking about now is Noom.  They recommend something like 1200 calories a day.  That is literally what is recommended for an average sized child.  Plus they use a red light, yellow light, green light method which castigates food into good or bad categories.  It's all bullshit.  I eat over 2000 calories a day with an average of 130 grams of protein (I should really get more) and I am never hungry.  I never want to binge.  I'm learning what it takes to eat foods I enjoy in moderation in a way I can continue on for the rest of my life.  I can go out to restaurants.  I can enjoy holidays and special events without letting it derail anything.  It feels great.  Why did it take me so long to figure this out?  :'(

Things click eventually, like anything.  Sometimes it comes with maturity, other times pure education.  I wouldn't overthink why, just be glad you're on a good path now.

On the other bolded parts though, yes, eating disorders can come about without you even knowing it.  I've shared a bit of my history but while you work things out, eating disorder mindsets are hard to shake.  I realised the past week I still have them.  The misses was away last week and my whole structure went out the window.  Was doing IF through the week and dinners through the week were light.  But that meant I went stupid on the weekend.  It's funny, it wasn't even that enjoyable but still ate shit the whole weekend.  Felt awful couldn't sleep and even had crappy leftovers last night.  Not sure why I do this to myself.  I can kind of get the sense of what drug addicts go through on a much smaller scale, it's hard to describe.  I know I'm going to feel like shit afterwards, be moody and whatnot, but I still do it, and look forward to it. 

The other funny thing is, because of the way I managed the week, my weight was the same, even lost a couple of hundred grams.  It's like I enable myself and I enjoy running but it's like two bites of the cherry.  It's not good, so even though you're doing great, never get complacent and think you've got it worked out.  You say you never want to binge, but trust me, you will at some point but the way I look at it, if you are consistently good with your diet day in and day out, slip ups now and then aren't going to make any difference.

It's probably me though, when people say they are perfect on their diets, never cheat or even people that don't eat fast food and all that stuff, I just don't get it.  There's only so long I can go without blowing a gasket and going stupid.  I guess that's the eating issues of the past.

I don't know why I posted all of that...

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3104 on: April 17, 2023, 07:36:27 PM »

Things click eventually, like anything.  Sometimes it comes with maturity, other times pure education.  I wouldn't overthink why, just be glad you're on a good path now.

On the other bolded parts though, yes, eating disorders can come about without you even knowing it.  I've shared a bit of my history but while you work things out, eating disorder mindsets are hard to shake.  I realised the past week I still have them.  The misses was away last week and my whole structure went out the window.  Was doing IF through the week and dinners through the week were light.  But that meant I went stupid on the weekend.  It's funny, it wasn't even that enjoyable but still ate shit the whole weekend.  Felt awful couldn't sleep and even had crappy leftovers last night.  Not sure why I do this to myself.  I can kind of get the sense of what drug addicts go through on a much smaller scale, it's hard to describe.  I know I'm going to feel like shit afterwards, be moody and whatnot, but I still do it, and look forward to it.

The other funny thing is, because of the way I managed the week, my weight was the same, even lost a couple of hundred grams.  It's like I enable myself and I enjoy running but it's like two bites of the cherry.  It's not good, so even though you're doing great, never get complacent and think you've got it worked out.  You say you never want to binge, but trust me, you will at some point but the way I look at it, if you are consistently good with your diet day in and day out, slip ups now and then aren't going to make any difference.

It's probably me though, when people say they are perfect on their diets, never cheat or even people that don't eat fast food and all that stuff, I just don't get it.  There's only so long I can go without blowing a gasket and going stupid.  I guess that's the eating issues of the past.

Haha, it's all good.  I am definitely not perfect on my diet.  But I never use the word "cheat" any more either.  I'm really trying to get away from that restriction mentality and using words like "cheat" puts me right back there.  But I should have been clear when I said I don't binge.  What I meant is more like what you said above that I bolded.  My cycle used to be calorie restriction Monday through Thursday then come Friday after work, it was "fuck-it-all" until Monday morning.  Wash rinse repeat.  And the fuck-it-all phase wiped out any calorie deficit and then some.  But I still have my moments.  I'm on vacation ATM and I'm not tracking a damn thing and I'm enjoying foods I would normally eat only rarely and drinking more than I typically do.  And it's fine in my mind because I know it's a short period of time and once I get home, it is back to consistency.  I am working out and walking a lot while on vacation so that helps too.

I'm sort of looking at this week as a surplus week.  A lot of body builders (I am NOT a body builder but I follow a couple of female builders and they are incredible to learn from) will actually put clients into a surplus to build muscle for a cycle and then cut for a cycle to drop fat and show off the muscle they built in surplus.  My trainer actually said, "Eat what you want so long as you get your protein in."  So I'm fairly sure when I get back I'll cut a couple hundred calories for a month or 2.  I'm excited to see what happens.  It is kind of like a giant science experiment at this point.  :laugh:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3105 on: April 17, 2023, 09:06:03 PM »

Haha, it's all good.  I am definitely not perfect on my diet.  But I never use the word "cheat" any more either.  I'm really trying to get away from that restriction mentality and using words like "cheat" puts me right back there.  But I should have been clear when I said I don't binge.  What I meant is more like what you said above that I bolded.  My cycle used to be calorie restriction Monday through Thursday then come Friday after work, it was "fuck-it-all" until Monday morning.  Wash rinse repeat.  And the fuck-it-all phase wiped out any calorie deficit and then some.  But I still have my moments.  I'm on vacation ATM and I'm not tracking a damn thing and I'm enjoying foods I would normally eat only rarely and drinking more than I typically do.  And it's fine in my mind because I know it's a short period of time and once I get home, it is back to consistency.  I am working out and walking a lot while on vacation so that helps too.

I'm sort of looking at this week as a surplus week.  A lot of body builders (I am NOT a body builder but I follow a couple of female builders and they are incredible to learn from) will actually put clients into a surplus to build muscle for a cycle and then cut for a cycle to drop fat and show off the muscle they built in surplus.  My trainer actually said, "Eat what you want so long as you get your protein in."  So I'm fairly sure when I get back I'll cut a couple hundred calories for a month or 2.  I'm excited to see what happens.  It is kind of like a giant science experiment at this point.  :laugh:

Have done that for years.  Issue is, I've gotten out of it many times but I've fallen back into many times too.  I guess that's what I was kinda alluding to.  It's dangerous.  People underestimate how much work they can undo in a couple of meals.

Eating over at times is fine.  Good for performance, hormones etc.  The main thing is you know what you're doing so any extra that goes on will be able to come off quickly also.  Sounds like you're on a good path with it all.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3106 on: April 22, 2023, 11:00:28 AM »
Holy shit I'm so tired. Finished week 6 of my half marathon training with another 10k (technically still got a 3.5km run tomorrow but it shouldn't be a problem) and... I'm excited to go further but man, this is pushing me far beyond what I've done so far in terms of training.

You guys running your half marathons and full marathons out there and then posting about it casually, you guys are either insane or insanely good (probably the second option).

Also tried installing Strava on my Samsung Galaxy S21+ and apparently it's unavailable in my country :facepalm: I just wanted to see Kade's and Tomi's runs. Oh well.

Kade, hopefully your injury has healed.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3107 on: April 22, 2023, 11:21:41 AM »
@Evermind what do you use for tracking runs?

BTW I bought the Polar H9 HR monitor strap the other day and had ~4k race today and used it to set my zones. Apparently, it's even higher than my watch estimated :lol but strap seems to measure my easier runs as lower HR. Basically, I have lower lows and higher highs now.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3108 on: April 22, 2023, 05:41:16 PM »
Holy shit I'm so tired. Finished week 6 of my half marathon training with another 10k (technically still got a 3.5km run tomorrow but it shouldn't be a problem) and... I'm excited to go further but man, this is pushing me far beyond what I've done so far in terms of training.

You guys running your half marathons and full marathons out there and then posting about it casually, you guys are either insane or insanely good (probably the second option).

Also tried installing Strava on my Samsung Galaxy S21+ and apparently it's unavailable in my country :facepalm: I just wanted to see Kade's and Tomi's runs. Oh well.

Kade, hopefully your injury has healed.

Definitely insane mate.  :lol

The mileage seems daunting once you first get running but you get used to it, just keep going.  Ensure you get the sleep you need to.

Thanks Ruslan but nah, the ankle is still niggling.  My right leg has been pretty chronic in terms of tightness and never been quite right since I busted my big toe on my left foot years ago.  Was in a boot for about 6 months and had two surgeries but still was working full time and walking around.  My right leg was compensating and has never really been the same since.  I think chronic tightness was just enough to tweak something in the ankle.  It's a lot better and hopefully another 2 or 3 days I can try and go for a trot, hopefully.

In the pool this weekend, which I hate, but 3km in the pool is a decent substitution.

But yeah, what are you using to track?

BTW I bought the Polar H9 HR monitor strap the other day and had ~4k race today and used it to set my zones. Apparently, it's even higher than my watch estimated :lol but strap seems to measure my easier runs as lower HR. Basically, I have lower lows and higher highs now.

Saw that, nice time.  But higher than your watch!?  :eek

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3109 on: April 23, 2023, 01:31:44 AM »

Just the Samsung fitness app that was pre-installed on the phone.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3110 on: April 23, 2023, 03:50:23 AM »
I don't get how Strava isn't available in your country.  There's people all over the world on that thing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3111 on: April 23, 2023, 04:54:13 AM »
I don't get how Strava isn't available in your country.  There's people all over the world on that thing.

They quit Russia in 2022 (and Belarus too I think) because my country is waging war against Ukraine.

I googled a little bit into it and apparently if you had in installed before they quit (March 2022) you can still access it with VPN. I can't even install it in Google Play (with or without VPN), just says it's unavailable for my device.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3112 on: April 23, 2023, 05:00:25 AM »
I think you could register on web version (with VPN) and if you use Samsung Health make them sync when you upload activity, that's how I used Strava with Samsung Health. That way you don't ever need to use Strava mobile app. You could probably even export GPX from Samsung Health app (or whatever app you use) and manually import it on Strava web.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3113 on: April 23, 2023, 05:00:56 AM »
That's crazy mate but I did kinda think about the situation over there being a reason after I posted.

On another note, it's great to see you around again lately.  Hopefully you are going well.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3114 on: April 23, 2023, 05:04:20 AM »
I think you could register on web version (with VPN) and if you use Samsung Health make them sync when you upload activity, that's how I used Strava with Samsung Health. That way you don't ever need to use Strava mobile app.

Huh, I'll try that right now.

That's crazy mate but I did kinda think about the situation over there being a reason after I posted.

On another note, it's great to see you around again lately.  Hopefully you are going well.

I mostly visit to send roulette songs, check out the guitarists countdown or to rant in this thread. :lol But yeah, I guess I'm much better mentally than I was last summer/autumn.