Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 189019 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. don't neglect rest/recovery!
« Reply #2975 on: December 31, 2022, 06:46:46 AM »
BUUUUMP

Hit my goal this year to average a 5k everyday! Next years goal is to lose 20lbs, 25lbs is the stretch goal. Those last 5 are always so hard. So I'm gonna start making my plan for cross training.
What are your favorite bodyweight and dumbbell moves?
What are your favorite meals that are under 400cal? I usually aim for low carb, focusing on meat and veg but salads and tilapia get old pretty quick.

Bodyweight - Burpees, pushups, tricep dips
DB - Goblet squats, bulgarian lunges, man-makers, grave-diggers

After a nice few years of discipline around my exercise and nutrition, 2022 sucked ass.  Between injury, depression, COVID, and other shit, I've fallen so far completely  off the wagon - haven't worked out once since early July.  Really wish I could find the energy/drive/care to do so, but it just ain't there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2976 on: January 01, 2023, 04:17:10 AM »
BUUUUMP

Hit my goal this year to average a 5k everyday! Next years goal is to lose 20lbs, 25lbs is the stretch goal. Those last 5 are always so hard. So I'm gonna start making my plan for cross training.
What are your favorite meals that are under 400cal? I usually aim for low carb, focusing on meat and veg but salads and tilapia get old pretty quick.

That's a really nice achievement.  That's not easy to do, well done.

For me, it's push-ups, pull ups and some dips.  Dumbbells I like some simple thrusters.

400 calories........my quick go to at the moment is tuna, a little rice and veg.  Or a protein shake with a little PB and almond milk.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2977 on: January 01, 2023, 04:19:19 AM »
BUUUUMP

After a nice few years of discipline around my exercise and nutrition, 2022 sucked ass.  Between injury, depression, COVID, and other shit, I've fallen so far completely  off the wagon - haven't worked out once since early July.  Really wish I could find the energy/drive/care to do so, but it just ain't there.

Just do it brother.  Just schedule, 30-45 minutes a day and do something.  Not everyday I want to train and/or run, but I always feel worse when I bork and don't do it.  I MAKE myself do it, not matter what.  You may find the groove may come back.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2978 on: January 01, 2023, 08:24:12 AM »
Getting the groove back is the hardest thing and I've been struggling with it after my hernia surgery.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2979 on: January 01, 2023, 08:39:27 AM »
Getting the groove back is the hardest thing and I've been struggling with it after my hernia surgery.

Yep. I dropped 25lbs last year and then around November just fell off my routine and started eating bad again and yadda yadda yadda…..I’ve put back on 15 of those pounds.

My sis in law asked me to run a half marathon with her in April so I’d did sign up for that being that I like to run a spring and fall half each year……so, I’ll just get back in the groove here now and try to drop 10-15lbs prior to that race.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2980 on: January 01, 2023, 08:52:37 AM »
BUUUUMP

I feel ya Bro. 2022 sucked for working out for me, I just had no motivation.

For 2023, I have vowed to at least 30min a day on the recumbent and then bench presses. Hopefully I will get back into burpees and mountain climbers etc...

Also, I think I see an outdoor bicycle in my future.

Good Luck!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2981 on: January 11, 2023, 05:32:27 PM »
So I hired a trainer.  I'm only one week in and I think I'm going to die. 

Help me.... :'(
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2982 on: January 11, 2023, 06:22:43 PM »

It's gets easier if you can just stick to it until your body adjusts.  And by easier, of course i really mean you just get used to being sore all day every day. Just think of it like this: would you rather hurt because you're exercising and getting healthy? Or would you rather hurt because you're not, and your body is breaking down from poor health?   Personally,  I'll take the former all day every day.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2983 on: January 12, 2023, 03:48:27 AM »

No pain, no gain.

Embrace it.  It's the start of a wonderful journey if you want it.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2984 on: January 12, 2023, 05:40:56 AM »

Make sure you communicate the pains and soreness or whatever you have going on to the trainer. They may need to pull back on reps or weight for you if its too much.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2985 on: February 04, 2023, 11:31:34 AM »
So I gained some weight over the holidays.

I’ve been pretty fortunate in that my metabolism has treated me fairly well in my adult years. I turned 50 last spring and I had a job where walking around was pretty common. But I quit that job in November and since then I have put on 10-12 pounds due to inactivity. I’ll begin a new job Monday and I’ve notice my dress pants and shirts are almost too small.

So I’ve hit my wifes treadmill.

I’ve done three “runs” over the last six days where I brisk walk for 4 minutes then jog for 2 minutes throughout a half hours time. It seems to be going okay except my shins and calves are really painful when I get back on the treadmill.

Looking for some tips/advice for stretches or anything else that will help.

My wife and kid do 5k’s and I’d like to be able to one with them this summer.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2986 on: February 04, 2023, 04:13:29 PM »

I’ve been pretty fortunate in that my metabolism has treated me fairly well in my adult years. I turned 50 last spring and I had a job where walking around was pretty common. But I quit that job in November and since then I have put on 10-12 pounds due to inactivity. I’ll begin a new job Monday and I’ve notice my dress pants and shirts are almost too small.

I’ve done three “runs” over the last six days where I brisk walk for 4 minutes then jog for 2 minutes throughout a half hours time. It seems to be going okay except my shins and calves are really painful when I get back on the treadmill.

Do you put the treadmill on any sort of incline? When I've had shin and calve issues I've walked them out by switching between walking on my heels and then walking on my toes. Also compression socks overnight and making sure to be hydrated.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2987 on: February 05, 2023, 03:41:48 AM »

Pretty common when you start out.  Don't go too hard too fast and trigger pointing and rolling is your friend.  You'll find that a lot of shin pain is due to calf tightness.  From my experience anyway.  Massage and stretch them.  Just google and there's heaps out there.  This one is probably my go to...

Also shoes.  Make sure you have new and decent running shoes.  Maybe some with lots of cushioning.  Running in old worn out cheap runners will destroy your lower legs.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2988 on: February 05, 2023, 07:30:11 PM »
Wolfking is 100% spot on.  That simple stretch has made a HUGE difference for me.  I was thinking I had plantar fasciitis or something but it turned out it was my calf, not my foot at all.  I was just talking about new shoes today too.  I'm going to go to a running store and have them evaluate my stride and recommend me a new brand.  I've been wearing Sauconys for a long time but lately, they aren't cutting it for me.  Certainly our feet change with aging like everything else does.  And most people don't change out their shoes often enough.  They are expensive so it is understandable.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2989 on: February 05, 2023, 07:37:26 PM »
Thanks for the tips!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2990 on: February 06, 2023, 03:29:50 AM »
Wolfking is 100% spot on.  That simple stretch has made a HUGE difference for me.  I was thinking I had plantar fasciitis or something but it turned out it was my calf, not my foot at all.  I was just talking about new shoes today too.  I'm going to go to a running store and have them evaluate my stride and recommend me a new brand.  I've been wearing Sauconys for a long time but lately, they aren't cutting it for me.  Certainly our feet change with aging like everything else does.  And most people don't change out their shoes often enough.  They are expensive so it is understandable.

That stretch is a game changer.  My advice though is hold it, not for like 30 seconds, for a few minutes then repeat.  Massage the crap out of the calf beforehand too, then stretch as you'll get more knots out.

I have a pair of Saucony Endorphin Speeds 2 still in the box.  Haven't gotten them out yet.  Hoka is my go to brand.   Rincons are a good shoe and I'm even using the Rocket Xs a lot.  I have a pair of Clifton's still in the box but haven't tried them yet either.

However, if you want a beautiful cushioned running shoe, I'm loving my pair of Novablast 3s from Asics.  What a wonderful shoe.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2991 on: February 06, 2023, 05:45:05 AM »
I have a bit of a blessing and curse when it comes to shoes. My feet are small so I buy youth sizes - much less expensive. However, my selection is pretty limited. I've stuck with Nike Revolutions for several years and have two pairs going at a time since I run almost every day. I add a new pair every 6 months and rotate out the oldest which becomes a daily shoe or yard work shoe. The shoe probably has 500 miles by the year mark that its rotated out and I wonder if a different brand would have a longer life for me but hate the idea of having to find another shoe I like. Such a pain.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2992 on: February 06, 2023, 06:27:32 AM »

Longtime serious runner here—my advice? Skip the running (for now, at least) and focus on walking and diet.

40 minutes of brisk walking is just as good as a 20 minute jog, minus the 'wear and tear' and nasty cortisol spike.

If, and this is a big if, but if you commit and briskly walk (like 3.5-4mph) a day, EVERY DAY, you will be getting all the cardio you need. I also suspect your back and legs will start to feel a bit better.

Also, it will be easier to focus on your diet (which is the REAL battle here), as running will definitely spike your appetite more than walking. Also, get some strength training in there. Honestly, diet & strength training are waaaayyyyy more impactful than doing cardio alone.

Obviously (ahem) your mileage will vary, but that's my two cents.

Also, regarding incline walking—I STRONGLY encourage you to avoid it for all the same reasons I'd encourage someone to avoid running. Way too much stress on you Achilles, and assuming that you aren't stretching daily, it's a very risky proposition.

Finally, you should add 5-10 minutes of stretching post walk. I am shocked by how few people do this—it is simply the best preventative medicine money can't buy.

Trust me, I'm 42 and I've made every mistake in the book and my body has paid the price time and time again ;D I spend 20 minutes a day stretching/rolling/etc., and I haven't had so much as ounce of leg, back, or neck pain in a decade.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2993 on: February 06, 2023, 12:53:35 PM »
I mostly agree with WilliamMunny's post, but i don't think avoiding all incline walking is necessary.  If the goal is simply weight loss, and not about improving health,  then sure. If the goal is to improve overall health, then you need to get your HR to a point where your heart is getting stronger.  Mind you,  the OP is 50 so he can probably get there at a very fast walk. Doing incline walks on a treadmill might be overkill,  but it would go a long way to try a walking route that incorporates a reasonably sized hill.

Everything else in the post is gold. Diet and exercise trumps cardio all day every day for weight loss, and stretching is a must of you want to avoid more injuries.

The part about running spiking your diet is 100% accurate.  On my long bike/ski days I'll torch anywhere between 1200-3000 calories. I do eat back some of that during the activity,  but in many cases I'll end up over eating these days regardless.  Big cardio days leave me cratered and hungry all day.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2994 on: February 06, 2023, 01:09:42 PM »
Feeling every bit of 47 today. I had a nice 6 mile run yesterday to prep a bit for a trail half I'm running on on 3/5. Then, played two ice hockey games last night at 9:00pm and 10:15pm....was definitely a tad sore this morning  :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2995 on: February 06, 2023, 01:26:09 PM »
I mostly agree with WilliamMunny's post, but i don't think avoiding all incline walking is necessary.  If the goal is simply weight loss, and not about improving health,  then sure. If the goal is to improve overall health, then you need to get your HR to a point where your heart is getting stronger.  Mind you,  the OP is 50 so he can probably get there at a very fast walk. Doing incline walks on a treadmill might be overkill,  but it would go a long way to try a walking route that incorporates a reasonably sized hill.

I've actually been reading some science about oxygenation during cardio and how it impacts overall fitness.  I think nothing beats cardio for heart/lung benefits, but as for muscle fibers and fat loss, less strenuous cardio gets you more bang for your buck.  You don't want to be working so hard you are out of breath.  Then again, I've also read that running vs walking targets visceral fat more (belly).  So yeah, one's goal needs to be taken into account like you said.  But higher HR doesn't always mean better - again unless you are purposefully wanting a stronger heart and/or you are training for running or other sports that require that kind of intense endurance.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2996 on: February 06, 2023, 02:57:04 PM »

Longtime serious runner here—my advice? Skip the running (for now, at least) and focus on walking and diet.

40 minutes of brisk walking is just as good as a 20 minute jog, minus the 'wear and tear' and nasty cortisol spike.

If, and this is a big if, but if you commit and briskly walk (like 3.5-4mph) a day, EVERY DAY, you will be getting all the cardio you need. I also suspect your back and legs will start to feel a bit better.

Also, it will be easier to focus on your diet (which is the REAL battle here), as running will definitely spike your appetite more than walking. Also, get some strength training in there. Honestly, diet & strength training are waaaayyyyy more impactful than doing cardio alone.

Obviously (ahem) your mileage will vary, but that's my two cents.

Also, regarding incline walking—I STRONGLY encourage you to avoid it for all the same reasons I'd encourage someone to avoid running. Way too much stress on you Achilles, and assuming that you aren't stretching daily, it's a very risky proposition.

Finally, you should add 5-10 minutes of stretching post walk. I am shocked by how few people do this—it is simply the best preventative medicine money can't buy.

Trust me, I'm 42 and I've made every mistake in the book and my body has paid the price time and time again ;D I spend 20 minutes a day stretching/rolling/etc., and I haven't had so much as ounce of leg, back, or neck pain in a decade.

Can't argue with this post.  I too really like slow incline walking though.  Great for burning some calories.

Everything else in the post is gold. Diet and exercise trumps cardio all day every day for weight loss, and stretching is a must of you want to avoid more injuries.

The part about running spiking your diet is 100% accurate.  On my long bike/ski days I'll torch anywhere between 1200-3000 calories. I do eat back some of that during the activity,  but in many cases I'll end up over eating these days regardless.  Big cardio days leave me cratered and hungry all day.

I'm a bit different.  A lot of the times after a decent long run I don't feel like eating at all.  It's weird.  I get the overeating part though, I've certainly done that but sometimes the hunger will come later on in the day and once I actually start eating, that's when the hunger accelerates.

Diet though is indeed something you need to be meticulous about though.  It's cliche, but eating say 500 calories vs burning 500 calories are just two ends of the spectrum.  I also feel people underestimate how much they are eating yet overestimate how much they are burning with exercise.  I think that's a big misconception for most struggling people.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2997 on: February 06, 2023, 03:05:32 PM »

I've actually been reading some science about oxygenation during cardio and how it impacts overall fitness. I think nothing beats cardio for heart/lung benefits, but as for muscle fibers and fat loss, less strenuous cardio gets you more bang for your buck.  You don't want to be working so hard you are out of breath.  Then again, I've also read that running vs walking targets visceral fat more (belly).  So yeah, one's goal needs to be taken into account like you said.  But higher HR doesn't always mean better - again unless you are purposefully wanting a stronger heart and/or you are training for running or other sports that require that kind of intense endurance.

That's essentially my point. It all depends on the goal. A perfect healthy regiment will include a balance of strength, conditioning - stamina and endurance-, mobility (i.e. stretching), and a healthy diet. I love my cardio. But I still strive for 2-3 strength sessions per week to maintain my strength and physique. There's sometimes advantages to being slower or faster, bigger or smaller, shorter or taller, but no person in recorded history has ever said "Gee, I wish I were weaker right now. That would be helpful".

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2998 on: February 06, 2023, 03:11:53 PM »
The strength sessions are so important.  All the extra running decreases my strength and I have to work damn hard around 4-5 decent sessions in the gym to try and maintain strength, like Rich said.  Went I went through my eating issues years ago, my strength dramatically decreased and that's simply not a good thing no matter how you look at it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2999 on: February 16, 2023, 04:23:52 PM »
This feels like as good a thread as any for this, but I have allowed myself to fall way too out of shape.  I had stopped going to the gym a few months before the Covid shutdown, so we are talking about 3 1/2 years since I've really done any kind of real exercise. Shameful, I know.

The topper is that I spent 6 1/2 hours at the ER today (on the 1 year of my mom's passing, of all things) because I have had a bit of shortness of breath lately and the occasional very minor chest tightness (not pain, just the feeling like someone is lightly pressing on it).  Apparently, stress and anxiety are the biggest culprit, because my blood pressure was a bit higher than normal, and the EKG showed my heart is fine and the chest exam showed that my lungs are good (that was a major whew given that my mom passed away a year ago of lung disease) and the Covid test was negative, but I think I still need to get back on the exercise regime.  It will be a tough first few weeks, but I need to power through it.  Thinking I will start with some walking and light swimming.

Any other ideas?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3000 on: February 16, 2023, 04:45:07 PM »
Definitely some walking Kev, that would be your first starting point.  Depending on what you mean by 'light' swimming however, swimming is not something you can just get in the pool and do.  If you have a good and solid swimming background however you could start very slow and concentrate on getting back into your rhythm while focusing hard on your breathing.  But people don't know how to breathe properly when swimming and end up exhausting themselves from very little effort. 

Obviously, diet it critical also.  Power through it is a good mentality but start slow and gradually build up with whatever you do.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3001 on: February 16, 2023, 06:21:58 PM »
This feels like as good a thread as any for this, but I have allowed myself to fall way too out of shape.  I had stopped going to the gym a few months before the Covid shutdown, so we are talking about 3 1/2 years since I've really done any kind of real exercise. Shameful, I know.

The topper is that I spent 6 1/2 hours at the ER today (on the 1 year of my mom's passing, of all things) because I have had a bit of shortness of breath lately and the occasional very minor chest tightness (not pain, just the feeling like someone is lightly pressing on it).  Apparently, stress and anxiety are the biggest culprit, because my blood pressure was a bit higher than normal, and the EKG showed my heart is fine and the chest exam showed that my lungs are good (that was a major whew given that my mom passed away a year ago of lung disease) and the Covid test was negative, but I think I still need to get back on the exercise regime.  It will be a tough first few weeks, but I need to power through it.  Thinking I will start with some walking and light swimming.

Any other ideas?

So sorry to hear this but also so glad your tests came out fairly well.  Are they putting you on any blood pressure meds?  Sometimes adjusting to those can be tricky and can definitely impact your energy level.  Be careful starting to work out if you are on new meds.  They can make you light-headed.

Talk to your primary doctor, but slow and steady jumping back in is my advice.  Walking is a great place to start.  Do you have anything like a FitBit to help you monitor your heart rate and/or steps?  Also - do not under-estimate the power of good sleep.  If there is any chance you could have apnea (snore?) get that shit checked out pronto.

I'm about 6 weeks into my lifting experience and I'm still having DOMS but it is so much better.  I'm recovering faster and lifting heavier weights.  Feels good.  But the first few weeks about killed me.  Fuck I'm old.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3002 on: February 16, 2023, 07:04:29 PM »
Thanks for both replies!

I am supposed to follow up with my regular MD in a week, who may recommend some meds for blood pressure.  I do not like the idea of taking any meds, but we'll see.

I have apnea, but it's a mild case.  I never get good sleep anymore. I was prescribed the nose pillows years ago, but could never keep them on, so I gave up even trying.  I am supposed to see a new sleep doc next month, so maybe there are new methods.

Swimming was the idea because it was recommended by my ortho doc just this Tuesday, as I have scoliosis, but he said it is pretty minor, the swimming exercises should help big time with the hip pain I get from it.  It's just a matter of if I can handle them right now.

I missing being younger when I was (mostly) really healthy.  :censored :censored

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3003 on: February 16, 2023, 07:57:40 PM »
Swimming is great low impact exercise and doesn't wear as much on your joints.  It is tremendous exercise though, just don't go too hard too fast.  Even water walking is a good place to start too and ease into things.  People here that I see daily swear by it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3004 on: February 17, 2023, 06:40:06 PM »
Swimming is great low impact exercise and doesn't wear as much on your joints.  It is tremendous exercise though, just don't go too hard too fast.  Even water walking is a good place to start too and ease into things.  People here that I see daily swear by it.

Yep, yep. I plan to start this week. The big gym right near my work is still open and has a full wet area (pool, whirlpool, sauna), so I will be joining and starting this week.  Slowly.  :tup :tup

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3005 on: March 02, 2023, 09:39:13 AM »
Question for the fellow runners (apologies if it was discussed before): do you usually have breakfast before your longer (10+ km) runs?

Last year I kinda half-heartedly trained for a half-marathon. I had no plan to do an official race, was just curious if I can do it. My goal was to do three runs a week with biking on Sunday; shorter runs during the working week, longer run on Saturday. I got to 13km+ and then the government announced a military draft and I stopped running (I was on vacation during that and spent two weeks almost never leaving my flat; then I had a business trip to another country, got sick, and by then it was late October so afterwards I just kept running 5km runs to keep in shape). The point is, I loved waking up each Saturday, brushing my teeth and just going for a run, no breakfast (up to 13 km it was working fine).

This year I'm considering training a little bit more seriously (perhaps even do some official race in another country around August if nothing drastic happens), and while I was browsing through numerous pieces of advice on the web, almost every guide advises to have a breakfast 3-4 hours before the actual race. As the races usually happen at around 10-11 AM, that means getting up at least at 6-7 AM; and not only for the race day, but each Saturday too as switching anything up right before the race isn't adviced.

Every opinion/perspective would be helpful.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3006 on: March 02, 2023, 09:44:32 AM »
Question for the fellow runners (apologies if it was discussed before): do you usually have breakfast before your longer (10+ km) runs?

I typically do a fairly light breakfast. My 'go to' for the past few half marathons I've ran has been oatmeal when I wake up (maybe 1-1/2 to 2 hrs prior to start) then I'll eat a banana maybe 45 minutes or so before I start. Then, I'll eat some sports beans 15 minutes before the race then every 45 minutes after that while running.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3007 on: March 02, 2023, 10:29:25 AM »
If you support with electrolytes properly during the activity, you can get by for 60-90 minutes fasted. Beyond that you're going to have performance issues without the energy (i.e. calorie) intake.

I intermittent fast with an eating window of 1pm-9pm, but I suspend my fasting on days when I have an  endurance workout planned for the morning. I don't want to plan my workouts around my eating schedule, and I found myself just too gassed on long rides if I don't eat. Gary's advice is sound, I think.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3008 on: March 02, 2023, 10:38:44 AM »
If you support with electrolytes properly during the activity, you can get by for 60-90 minutes fasted. Beyond that you're going to have performance issues without the energy (i.e. calorie) intake.

I intermittent fast with an eating window of 1pm-9pm, but I suspend my fasting on days when I have an  endurance workout planned for the morning. I don't want to plan my workouts around my eating schedule, and I found myself just too gassed on long rides if I don't eat. Gary's advice is sound, I think.

It's just what I've found that works for 'me'. I'm accustomed to it and really just keep the habit as it's not let me down yet. But, I don't have a fast pace either....if that even makes a difference. I rely heavily on the Sports Beans while in progress as I do find they help 'me'.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3009 on: March 02, 2023, 12:02:37 PM »
1/2-2 hours before the run at least sounds reasonable.

And I suppose Sports Beans can be replaced by any suitable sports gel food? Tested during training before the actual big race of course. I'm not sure I can find the exact same brand here. :biggrin:

It's just what I've found that works for 'me'. I'm accustomed to it and really just keep the habit as it's not let me down yet. But, I don't have a fast pace either....if that even makes a difference. I rely heavily on the Sports Beans while in progress as I do find they help 'me'.

I mean, you'll have to define "fast". I'll probably be aiming for under 2 hours / 5.40 per km.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.