Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 193085 times)

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. don't neglect rest/recovery!
« Reply #2905 on: August 24, 2022, 04:43:31 PM »
I like GU brand. I had to test several to find which ones didn't give me a stomach ache. I like Jet Blackberry for some caffeine and Strawberry Banana for non-caffeinated.

The first brand I tried, they were so sickly sweet while I was running it left me with a weird feeling and coating in my mouth from the sugar.  Since I don't take water it wouldn't go away.  This brand I'm using now has a lot less sugar and was easier to stomach.

Definitely need water to swish around after. On my seriously long runs, I would get hungry and would tuck a couple almonds into the pocket on my water bottle. Then I found they make gu gummies and the watermelon ones are pretty decent. Chewing something made a difference to me mentally.

I think for my longer runs I'll need to start carrying like a small backpack or something, I'll have to look into it.  I have the gels in my pocket and I have my phone on me so carrying water aswell just wouldn't work.  I like the gummies idea.
This is what I run with. Its small and pretty lightweight. Small pocket for snacks. My phone goes in my pants pocket. They have other things though, including backpacks. Everything I've bought from this brand has held up really well for me and I'm working on my goal of averaging a 5k/day for the year.
https://www.nathansports.com/products/speedshot-plus-insulated-flask-black-metallic-gold

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2906 on: August 24, 2022, 04:52:10 PM »
I like GU brand. I had to test several to find which ones didn't give me a stomach ache. I like Jet Blackberry for some caffeine and Strawberry Banana for non-caffeinated.

The first brand I tried, they were so sickly sweet while I was running it left me with a weird feeling and coating in my mouth from the sugar.  Since I don't take water it wouldn't go away.  This brand I'm using now has a lot less sugar and was easier to stomach.

Definitely need water to swish around after. On my seriously long runs, I would get hungry and would tuck a couple almonds into the pocket on my water bottle. Then I found they make gu gummies and the watermelon ones are pretty decent. Chewing something made a difference to me mentally.

I think for my longer runs I'll need to start carrying like a small backpack or something, I'll have to look into it.  I have the gels in my pocket and I have my phone on me so carrying water aswell just wouldn't work.  I like the gummies idea.
This is what I run with. Its small and pretty lightweight. Small pocket for snacks. My phone goes in my pants pocket. They have other things though, including backpacks. Everything I've bought from this brand has held up really well for me and I'm working on my goal of averaging a 5k/day for the year.
https://www.nathansports.com/products/speedshot-plus-insulated-flask-black-metallic-gold

Hey thanks chknptpie.  That looks pretty nifty indeed.  I didn't even know those sorts of things existed haha.  I like the pocket for the gel/snack.

5km a day on average is nice goal.  I assume you're alternating between some longer and shorter runs?  I did a challenge last year in November with a few guys for mental health awareness and we had to do 5km each day for the month.  Got so addictive I kept it going.  You get to the point where you just need to get out there and at least do a 5km.  These days, I don't do anything shorter than a 5km.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2907 on: August 24, 2022, 07:08:22 PM »
Hey thanks chknptpie.  That looks pretty nifty indeed.  I didn't even know those sorts of things existed haha.  I like the pocket for the gel/snack.

5km a day on average is nice goal.  I assume you're alternating between some longer and shorter runs?  I did a challenge last year in November with a few guys for mental health awareness and we had to do 5km each day for the month.  Got so addictive I kept it going.  You get to the point where you just need to get out there and at least do a 5km.  These days, I don't do anything shorter than a 5km.

I'm doing at least 5k a day but have taken a few days off for recovery and getting the covid. So I've made up some mileage going up to 10k when needed. Right now, I'm on target to hit the goal for the year though! I do need to get back on watching my calorie intake. I've put back on some lbs and its really slowed me down... well that and its 33C when I go run at 5am before the sun comes up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2908 on: August 24, 2022, 07:28:28 PM »

I'm doing at least 5k a day but have taken a few days off for recovery and getting the covid. So I've made up some mileage going up to 10k when needed. Right now, I'm on target to hit the goal for the year though! I do need to get back on watching my calorie intake. I've put back on some lbs and its really slowed me down... well that and its 33C when I go run at 5am before the sun comes up.

Jesus, even where I am I don't get 30 degrees at 5am in summer!

5km average a day for going on 9 months is spectacular though.

Calorie intake always kind of gets you when you run.  I constantly fall in the trap of eating more than I should because I've done a long run.  I'm smart about it, but it's incredible how the mind tricks you.  Subconsciously I think a lot of people think a long run burns a lot more than what it actually does.   Not relating that to you of course, just something I've noticed myself.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2909 on: August 24, 2022, 09:00:51 PM »

Calorie intake always kind of gets you when you run.  I constantly fall in the trap of eating more than I should because I've done a long run.  I'm smart about it, but it's incredible how the mind tricks you.  Subconsciously I think a lot of people think a long run burns a lot more than what it actually does.   Not relating that to you of course, just something I've noticed myself.

Arizona summers are a bitch lol at least most days it’s 10-20% humidity, so that’s nice lol

I burn about 90c/mi. So my 5k run is less than 300cal. My baseline, no exercise, calorie burn is probably only 1300. I’m under 5ft. Essentially, to maintain, I should only eat 1500-1600 calories a day. To loose, I should be eating 1200-1300, which is soooooo hard, especially with running lol like you said, mentally I’m like “I ran, I can eat stuff!” But really I can’t ha

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2910 on: August 24, 2022, 09:26:15 PM »

Arizona summers are a bitch lol at least most days it’s 10-20% humidity, so that’s nice lol

I burn about 90c/mi. So my 5k run is less than 300cal. My baseline, no exercise, calorie burn is probably only 1300. I’m under 5ft. Essentially, to maintain, I should only eat 1500-1600 calories a day. To loose, I should be eating 1200-1300, which is soooooo hard, especially with running lol like you said, mentally I’m like "I ran, I can eat stuff!” But really I can’t ha

:lol  Yes, that's exactly what I mean. 

I only got a fitbit watch a couple of months ago mainly to do more lower heart rate runs and I was astounded how many calories it says I burn.  The perceived effort vs the calorie expenditure was an eye opener.

1300 calories a day definitely would be hard.  Females have it much tougher than men IMO.  But for anyone, 300 calories for a 5km run seems quite efficient but crazy you can eat those back in less than a minute if you really wanted to.

That humidity would make it more bearable but still doesn't sound fun.  We get average 80% humidity here in summer on top of high summer temperatures which isn't fun.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2911 on: August 25, 2022, 03:14:35 AM »

What's involved in your 5km training mate?

Easy runs
Speedwork - mutiple 400/800/1000m reps close to my target pace with jog inbetween
Longer runs on weekend
...and something I don't do nearly enough - some strength training
...and maybe throw in some fun non-structured runs (fartlek)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2912 on: August 25, 2022, 05:57:11 AM »

Easy runs
Speedwork - mutiple 400/800/1000m reps close to my target pace with jog inbetween
Longer runs on weekend

Nice.  I need to do more speedwork.  I don't do any of that interval kind of stuff.

Strength training is tough to balance, especially if you incorporate lots of deads, squats and lunges in.  Very helpful though I feel.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2913 on: August 25, 2022, 06:40:21 AM »
Ive had fitbits and I did like their calorie counting/formula. However, I had to replace it every 6mo-1yr! After a few of those, I invested in a Garmin and love it. Its great for multisport, and I was doing sprint and indoor triathlons back then. I don't think it measures my sleep as good as the fitbit and now I have to use myfitnesspal which is meh, but at least they connect. Being able to set up training run programs based on time, or based on heart rate, is great. Much more functionality than any fitbit I had. I dunno if theyve gotten better lol

This is the one I got a few years ago and its still like it was out of the box, although I changed the band.
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/643399

I also love that you can choose your watch face. This is mine:
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/75d407c1-a434-466d-ae45-0199b98f1fb3

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2914 on: August 25, 2022, 03:57:42 PM »
Yeah, I'll definitely get a Garmin when I upgrade the fitbit. 

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2915 on: August 26, 2022, 11:58:08 AM »
I have Samsung Galaxy 3, will definitely get Garmin in the future. Samsung Health app could be better and Samsung UI is flaky as always, some 3rd party apps are meh. Can't count the number of times I had reinstall Spotify because it crashed.
Anyone using Strava?

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2916 on: August 26, 2022, 01:49:51 PM »
I have Samsung Galaxy 3, will definitely get Garmin in the future. Samsung Health app could be better and Samsung UI is flaky as always, some 3rd party apps are meh. Can't count the number of times I had reinstall Spotify because it crashed.
Anyone using Strava?
Kade and and i both use strava.

Feel free to follow,  if you want.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/33918818

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2917 on: August 26, 2022, 04:25:52 PM »
Anyone using Strava?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/71664787

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2918 on: August 30, 2022, 08:13:11 PM »
Nice to have you following Tomi.  :tup

Legs are cooked today.  Logged a 5km yesterday in just under 23 minutes.  4:35 average per km.  2 seconds off my PB apparently.  How people can get under 20 minutes for a 5km is literally mindblowing to me.  Can't comprehend it just yet.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2919 on: August 31, 2022, 05:45:30 AM »
Likewise :tup always feel encouraged seeing others' great progress

Legs are cooked today.  Logged a 5km yesterday in just under 23 minutes.  4:35 average per km.  2 seconds off my PB apparently.  How people can get under 20 minutes for a 5km is literally mindblowing to me.  Can't comprehend it just yet.
Same. I can see myself going under 22, but everything much lowers seems impossible.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2920 on: August 31, 2022, 05:56:25 AM »
Likewise :tup always feel encouraged seeing others' great progress

Same. I can see myself going under 22, but everything much lowers seems impossible.

Even 22 minutes feels a long way off to me to be honest.  I dunno, just keep plugging away I guess.  Will come in time......maybe lol.

When doing faster 5km runs I try not to look at the speed and progress as I'm going.  Might need to change that and watch it the whole time.  Might make me push harder once I start to slip past the goal time of the run.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2921 on: August 31, 2022, 07:35:29 AM »

Long-distance running has always been my jam, but a few years ago (mid 30's) I got it in my head that I wanted to win a 5k. I trained all summer, worked on speed work, weight-training with the legs, the whole 9 yards.

On a training run, I posted 17:15 and was ecstatic. Signed up for a race, posted a 17 something. Doesn't matter, bc while I won my division, some 16 year old kid posted 15 minutes flat.

The lesson learned? Running (like just about everything in life) is a young man's game ;D

BTW—if you go a running forum and talk about running 17 minute 5ks (a mistake I've made a time or two), you will literally get torn to shreds by dudes who claim anything that isn't sub 15 isn't worth talking about.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2922 on: August 31, 2022, 07:55:16 AM »
Even 22 minutes feels a long way off to me to be honest.  I dunno, just keep plugging away I guess.  Will come in time......maybe lol.

When doing faster 5km runs I try not to look at the speed and progress as I'm going.  Might need to change that and watch it the whole time.  Might make me push harder once I start to slip past the goal time of the run.
Interval training might help. You have to get used to the speed, even if it's just 400/800/1000m at the time.

Long-distance running has always been my jam, but a few years ago (mid 30's) I got it in my head that I wanted to win a 5k. I trained all summer, worked on speed work, weight-training with the legs, the whole 9 yards.

On a training run, I posted 17:15 and was ecstatic. Signed up for a race, posted a 17 something. Doesn't matter, bc while I won my division, some 16 year old kid posted 15 minutes flat.

The lesson learned? Running (like just about everything in life) is a young man's game ;D

BTW—if you go a running forum and talk about running 17 minute 5ks (a mistake I've made a time or two), you will literally get torn to shreds by dudes who claim anything that isn't sub 15 isn't worth talking about.
Lol it's a great time, better than majority of us will ever come close to. I always try to get better and hardly ever compare myself to anyone. It would be nice to be in top 3 but I don't really care if I'm 20th or 50th if my time is better than last time.
I'm 27, so not that old :P but started seriously running only this year. I'm 191cm (6'3'') tall so I'm not really build for it.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2923 on: August 31, 2022, 08:04:07 AM »

Interval training might help. You have to get used to the speed, even if it's just 400/800/1000m at the time.

Lol it's a great time, better than majority of us will ever come close to. I always try to get better and hardly ever compare myself to anyone. It would be nice to be in top 3 but I don't really care if I'm 20th or 50th if my time is better than last time.
I'm 27, so not that old :P but started seriously running only this year. I'm 191cm (6'3'') tall so I'm not really build for it.

That is golden advice. At this stage (I'm about to turn 42), I've made my peace with my competitiveness—my best days are behind me, and that's alright by me. My main goal now is to stay fit and nimble so I can continue playing with my kids as they get older.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2924 on: August 31, 2022, 08:10:18 AM »

I've never been a runner that focused on time.....because, I knew I'd never be at the top. I'm super impressed by these times you guys are talking about....just so much dedication there. Fantastic work!!!! 

My first Marathon I ran in 2010 was the only time I was 'time' focused and I wanted to do it in under 4 hours. I finished the first 13.1 miles in 1hr 49 minutes and had a good pace going. Then about a mile into the second half my IT band blew up (it'd blown up about three weeks prior and I hadn't ran at all until the race after that) and I could barely move my leg. Broke out into instant tears. I had to walk about half mile or so and I slowly just started to trot...then just pushed through. Finished the Marathon in 4 hours 12 minutes. I was happy with that considering I basically walked 5-10 minutes of it due to that IT band issue. Until my IT band blew up three weeks prior to that race I had no idea what an 'IT band' was. That was freaking brutal. I WAY over trained for that first marathon....which then....turned into me under training for my second one in 2015  :lol  My legs basically told me around mile 20 that they were done for the day so that was fun   :lol  had to really push through that as well.

Nowadays when I road run I'm around a 9:00-9:30 mile depending on the day and how I'm feeling.....and it's usually just my normal 5 mile run I have mapped out for exercise. When I trail run I'm 10:00-11:00 minute miles. I just don't run fast....but my pace doesn't change with the elevations...I just plod away.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2925 on: August 31, 2022, 03:21:15 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2926 on: August 31, 2022, 03:23:07 PM »

YES!!  This is my philosophy too.  I'm only really trying to compete against myself.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2927 on: August 31, 2022, 03:27:48 PM »

I've never been a runner that focused on time.....because, I knew I'd never be at the top. I'm super impressed by these times you guys are talking about....just so much dedication there. Fantastic work!!!! 

My first Marathon I ran in 2010 was the only time I was 'time' focused and I wanted to do it in under 4 hours. I finished the first 13.1 miles in 1hr 49 minutes and had a good pace going. Then about a mile into the second half my IT band blew up (it'd blown up about three weeks prior and I hadn't ran at all until the race after that) and I could barely move my leg. Broke out into instant tears. I had to walk about half mile or so and I slowly just started to trot...then just pushed through. Finished the Marathon in 4 hours 12 minutes. I was happy with that considering I basically walked 5-10 minutes of it due to that IT band issue. Until my IT band blew up three weeks prior to that race I had no idea what an 'IT band' was. That was freaking brutal. I WAY over trained for that first marathon....which then....turned into me under training for my second one in 2015  :lol  My legs basically told me around mile 20 that they were done for the day so that was fun   :lol  had to really push through that as well.

Nowadays when I road run I'm around a 9:00-9:30 mile depending on the day and how I'm feeling.....and it's usually just my normal 5 mile run I have mapped out for exercise. When I trail run I'm 10:00-11:00 minute miles. I just don't run fast....but my pace doesn't change with the elevations...I just plod away.

Was that a specific injury to your IT band Gary, or just super tight?  I found lately foam rolling the IT's more is making a big difference.

The elevations get me though, they kill my pace.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2928 on: August 31, 2022, 03:55:19 PM »
From what I know and have read….it was just a classic case of ‘runners knee’. Sharp, painful….shooting pain down the outside of my left knee. I’ve only experienced it that one time there for about a month. I was just putting in way too ma h mikes with no proper recovery or maintenance
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2929 on: August 31, 2022, 04:58:37 PM »
From what I know and have read….it was just a classic case of ‘runners knee’. Sharp, painful….shooting pain down the outside of my left knee. I’ve only experienced it that one time there for about a month. I was just putting in way too ma h mikes with no proper recovery or maintenance

Pretty similar to what put me out for a few months at the start of the year.  My issue was more ankle but was all because of all the use but lack of recovery.  Such a chore but I found out the hard way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2930 on: September 01, 2022, 06:02:10 AM »

Easy runs
Longer runs on weekend

Nice.  I need to do more speedwork.  I don't do any of that interval kind of stuff.

Strength training is tough to balance, especially if you incorporate lots of deads, squats and lunges in.  Very helpful though I feel.

Did some interval runs tonight on the treadmill.  Basically did 400m at 10kpm (6.00 p/km) and then 400m at 13.5kpm (4.27 p/km) and alternated that for about 5km.  Was tough but sub 4.30 is my goal for a 5km.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2931 on: September 04, 2022, 03:59:51 AM »

As you lads saw, managed a 10km at 46:54 which is 4:41 average p/km.  Not sure how the fuck I did that and beat my PB by 11 seconds per km to be honest.  I was at the 5km and was over the 23 minute mark but felt okay so pushed for the 10km.  While still cutting that down to even sub 4:30 per km seems wild for 5km, maybe it's not as unachievable for me as I first thought.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2932 on: September 04, 2022, 11:16:37 AM »
Yeah, that was a mighty fine pace! Some days you just get in that groove,  and end up genuinely  surprised with your results afterwards.   You're young enough that i think your goal is very achievable with a little work.  You're clearly well on your way

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2933 on: September 04, 2022, 04:39:19 PM »
Yeah, that was a mighty fine pace! Some days you just get in that groove,  and end up genuinely  surprised with your results afterwards.   You're young enough that i think your goal is very achievable with a little work.  You're clearly well on your way

Thanks Rich.  Yeah, I'm kinda keen to see how fit/fast I can get, but you're right, some days a good run just clicks.  The end goal of an ultra is definitely looking like more of a reality each week. 

PS. While I'm no father mate, the photo of you and your son really warmed my heart. Beautiful.  :tup

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2934 on: September 04, 2022, 06:34:29 PM »
Thanks Kade. Wasn't sure his little 6 year old legs would make it up the mountain,  but he was a little trooper

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2935 on: September 04, 2022, 06:38:16 PM »
First thing I actually thought mate was how much of an impressive effort that was from him, especially at 6 years of age.  11.5km with half a km of elevation, damn solid, love to see it haha.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2936 on: September 10, 2022, 05:50:19 PM »
How are those legs, Kade? Lots of mileage so far this weekend

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2937 on: September 10, 2022, 06:01:32 PM »
How are those legs, Kade? Lots of mileage so far this weekend

I was trashed after yesterday mate, really really sore.  Yesterday felt slower than 5:32 pace so I'm pretty happy but had 2 gels on me helped but if I'm looking at these longer distances, I gotta look at one of those water things or a pack or something.  It was quite warm later in the run and by km 22-23 I felt like I was gonna pass out, I needed fluids.  So need to look into that.

This morning I had to get up earlier to go into work to fix something and felt awful lol.  As soon as I started the 10km, it felt dreadful.  I need to make more of an effort to eat back the calories I burn in longer runs it seems.  I was surprised with a 5:06 pace, cause it was awful.  So I'm definitely improving.  As you mentioned, the nutrition and hydration I need to be better at.  The gels are mighty helpful though, really good stuff.

As you saw I did a few morning 10km also through the week and I'm also doubling down after the weights with usually a slower 5km on the treadmill, or some intervals, so I'm certainly put a lot more mileage this week than I'm use to.  Interested in how I pull up tomorrow.  Sleep last night wasn't great just from the aching in the legs through the night!  :lol

Nice ride too mate, I'm sure the hills were worth the ice cream.  The kids seem to think so!  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2938 on: September 12, 2022, 04:52:32 PM »
I guess it had to happen.  Was doing an easy recovery type run on the treadmill last night.  My right leg was the one I had issues with but I've managed it okay.  Halfway through felt a sharp pain in my shin.  Thought it was tightness and tried to run it out.  Stopped at 5km but I don't think so.  :lol  The pain when I try and flex my foot up or down is intense.   :facepalm:

'Working/DTFing' from home most of today as the car had to go in for a service so plenty of icing, rolling and stretching.  I really hope this doesn't put me out too long.  Fuck injuries. :tdwn

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2939 on: September 12, 2022, 07:49:54 PM »
Shin splits and/or plantar fasciitis?