Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192962 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. don't neglect rest/recovery!
« Reply #2870 on: August 09, 2022, 07:13:31 PM »
What is OMAD?

Are you saying that you won't eat until after 7PM, except for a protein bar?

One Meal A Day.  Pretty much yeah.

How do you maintain your energy during the day? That seems impossible.

Anyway, I marvel at everyone's commitment to running, lifting, etc... I mainly come in to see the convo about dieting and that sort of thing. As a diabetic, I find it an interesting topic.

Fasting is a tool I've used for years once I started to lose weight.  It becomes a mental battle and a challenge but your body gets used to it.  Not sure how it would work with your diabetes mate so it's probably not a wise thing for you I would imagine.  I'd assume you'd need more constant food intake to stabilize everything.  Again, I'm not too cluely on all that.

Yeah, I just like to read the remarks. I'm square on my diet. I've basically weighed the same for over 30 years.
For me, what I've learned about dieting is that you never want to leave your body guessing when you're going to feed it next. That's when it starts hording as it doesn't know when it's getting more.

I actually eat very little. I'm diabetic not because of any eating habits I had, but more to the fact that my pancreas started shutting down over 20 years ago. I pretty much rely on my insulin shots to process any sugar I take in.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2871 on: August 09, 2022, 07:26:07 PM »
I intermittent fast, and really enjoy it.  As Kade mentioned,  coffee and water are good enough for the morning. I also agree that it can easily lead to over snacking in the afternoon and evening if you're not careful. 

I took up fasting on a whim at the onset of covid. WFH meant my bosses wanted daily team meetings at 10am. I started by just trying to put off breakfast until after the meeting,  and one thing led to another.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2872 on: August 09, 2022, 08:20:02 PM »
What is OMAD?

Are you saying that you won't eat until after 7PM, except for a protein bar?

One Meal A Day.  Pretty much yeah.

How do you maintain your energy during the day? That seems impossible.

Anyway, I marvel at everyone's commitment to running, lifting, etc... I mainly come in to see the convo about dieting and that sort of thing. As a diabetic, I find it an interesting topic.

Fasting is a tool I've used for years once I started to lose weight.  It becomes a mental battle and a challenge but your body gets used to it.  Not sure how it would work with your diabetes mate so it's probably not a wise thing for you I would imagine.  I'd assume you'd need more constant food intake to stabilize everything.  Again, I'm not too cluely on all that.

Yeah, I just like to read the remarks. I'm square on my diet. I've basically weighed the same for over 30 years.
For me, what I've learned about dieting is that you never want to leave your body guessing when you're going to feed it next. That's when it starts hording as it doesn't know when it's getting more.

I actually eat very little. I'm diabetic not because of any eating habits I had, but more to the fact that my pancreas started shutting down over 20 years ago. I pretty much rely on my insulin shots to process any sugar I take in.

That doesn't sound fun at all Tim.  I didn't think you were diabetic from your eating habits so that makes sense.

Sounds like you know exactly what works for you and that's what its all about.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2873 on: August 09, 2022, 08:23:06 PM »
I intermittent fast, and really enjoy it.  As Kade mentioned,  coffee and water are good enough for the morning. I also agree that it can easily lead to over snacking in the afternoon and evening if you're not careful. 

I took up fasting on a whim at the onset of covid. WFH meant my bosses wanted daily team meetings at 10am. I started by just trying to put off breakfast until after the meeting,  and one thing led to another.

Pretty much.  I've had borderline eating disorders in the past so I've found it a great tool to control habits.  It works for me as some days I'm so busy I don't think about food and its mid afternoon, and sometimes you just keep it going as long as you can.

People do think its some sort magical tool though.  People completely miss the point with what IF is all about.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2874 on: August 09, 2022, 08:37:48 PM »
  I didn't think you were diabetic from your eating habits so that makes sense.

Well other than oddball comments in the food thread, my eating habits are pretty good and very well controlled. I can always eat better, but I by no means eat bad.

For breakfast I have a half a bagel or a couple of pieces of toast.
Morning snack is usually a granola bar or a banana
Lunch is a chicken sandwich (wheat bread...I don't like multigrain), a few chips and a Coke zero sugar
(Gotta have a soda with lunch)
Afterwork, maybe some cereal or crackers
Dinner is usually pretty square. Meat, veg, and a starch...NO seconds.

I never eat after dinner, but I do put down a few beers each night.

That's it. Every day. It's really not a lot of food. Like I said, my weight has never fluctuated. I last weighed in at 184. From 1990 to current day, I have never gone out of the 182-188 range. And 188 is usually the winter reading at my doctors with jeans, boots, etc..on. I do not have a scale at home. I actually have very little fat on me. My stomach is a bit bloated, but that started when I went on insulin a few years ago.

I do have a Pavlovian response to food, because I know if I eat this or have more of that, I know I'm going to feel shitty afterwards. It sucks actually. There were a lot of comments about Kingshmegland's crust on his pizza in the Food Thread. When I eat pizza, I can't, or won't eat the crust. It's just extra carbs/sugar.

My biggest problem is that I don't like veggies. I hate onions. I hate Broccoli. I like corn but isn't good for me. Peas aren't good for me either. I usually just have green beans.

Thank God for my wife though. She's a closet nutrition expert and exercise maniac. And she's a great scratch cook, so there's not a lot of processed meals happening.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2875 on: August 09, 2022, 09:57:07 PM »
  I didn't think you were diabetic from your eating habits so that makes sense.

Well other than oddball comments in the food thread, my eating habits are pretty good and very well controlled. I can always eat better, but I by no means eat bad.

For breakfast I have a half a bagel or a couple of pieces of toast.
Morning snack is usually a granola bar or a banana
Lunch is a chicken sandwich (wheat bread...I don't like multigrain), a few chips and a Coke zero sugar
(Gotta have a soda with lunch)
Afterwork, maybe some cereal or crackers
Dinner is usually pretty square. Meat, veg, and a starch...NO seconds.

I never eat after dinner, but I do put down a few beers each night.

That's it. Every day. It's really not a lot of food. Like I said, my weight has never fluctuated. I last weighed in at 184. From 1990 to current day, I have never gone out of the 182-188 range. And 188 is usually the winter reading at my doctors with jeans, boots, etc..on. I do not have a scale at home. I actually have very little fat on me. My stomach is a bit bloated, but that started when I went on insulin a few years ago.

I do have a Pavlovian response to food, because I know if I eat this or have more of that, I know I'm going to feel shitty afterwards. It sucks actually. There were a lot of comments about Kingshmegland's crust on his pizza in the Food Thread. When I eat pizza, I can't, or won't eat the crust. It's just extra carbs/sugar.

My biggest problem is that I don't like veggies. I hate onions. I hate Broccoli. I like corn but isn't good for me. Peas aren't good for me either. I usually just have green beans.

Thank God for my wife though. She's a closet nutrition expert and exercise maniac. And she's a great scratch cook, so there's not a lot of processed meals happening.

As I said, it seems you know what works for you and how to maintain your weight, that's certainly a good thing.

I don't think I've ever eaten a bagel.  I'm not sure if we even have them here.

And Tim, onions and broccoli are amazing.   ;D  Corn isnt the best vegetable source I'll give you that and green beans are indeed incredible.  Roasted cauliflower is another fav of mine.  Those little carrots you get in bunches I love too.

I don't mind the odd calorie free soft drink.  They were a huge tool in my fat loss.  I know sweeteners are bad and all that shit but nothing beats a diet soft drink sometimes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2876 on: August 13, 2022, 08:23:39 PM »
So.......I think I want to aim to do an ultra marathon.  Not sure how I'll get there when anything around 15km leaves me feeling like my legs are about to break.  Was smashing the 5kms last year but now I'm back into it, I'm starting to enjoy the longer runs.  Longest distance I've done is a half marathon so not sure how I'll get to an ultra.  :lol  I'll keep plugging away though.

So.....when I posted this, maybe I forgot about the marathon part before the ultra marathon.  I did my longest run ever yesterday at 22km (5:37 pace with 164m elevation gain) and just backed it up this morning with a 21.1km run (5:28 pace with 133m elevation gain).  Today was a PB for the half marathon, so pretty chuffed with that.  The thought of doing both these runs back to back still seems pretty daunting, but I think not out of the realm of possibility.  Guys that do 100km runs or even the 100mile runs, jeez......

Needless to say, I'm pretty fucking sore right now.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2877 on: August 14, 2022, 05:16:47 AM »
Great work Kade! Back to back 20km+ runs is a mighty toll on the body.  In all my years of racing,  i don't think i ever did that lol.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2878 on: August 14, 2022, 05:25:11 AM »
Great work Kade! Back to back 20km+ runs is a mighty toll on the body.  In all my years of racing,  i don't think i ever did that lol.

Thanks Rich.  Yeah, I guess I don't really know what I'm doing or have a specific plan.  But my time today was better so, so far so good.   :lol

I'll see how I pull up tomorrow.  Might give the treadmill a miss maybe tomorrow night haha.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2879 on: August 14, 2022, 11:50:24 AM »
So.......I think I want to aim to do an ultra marathon.  Not sure how I'll get there when anything around 15km leaves me feeling like my legs are about to break.  Was smashing the 5kms last year but now I'm back into it, I'm starting to enjoy the longer runs.  Longest distance I've done is a half marathon so not sure how I'll get to an ultra.  :lol  I'll keep plugging away though.

So.....when I posted this, maybe I forgot about the marathon part before the ultra marathon.  I did my longest run ever yesterday at 22km (5:37 pace with 164m elevation gain) and just backed it up this morning with a 21.1km run (5:28 pace with 133m elevation gain).  Today was a PB for the half marathon, so pretty chuffed with that.  The thought of doing both these runs back to back still seems pretty daunting, but I think not out of the realm of possibility.  Guys that do 100km runs or even the 100mile runs, jeez......

As someone who completed numerous Ultras (including a 100k), let me be the first to tell you that it is both easier and harder than it appears.

Easier in that all that concern about speed and PB's goes out the window, especially for a novice. Just finishing is the goal, and when it comes to distance, training is pretty straight forward. You run. A lot. And eventually you build up a base where a 20 mile run is just the thing you do every Thursday morning.

Harder in that all the training in the world can't truly prepare you for the mental and emotional gymnastics you encounter when you essentially take your longest distance and double it on race day. Having done a dozen or so of these races, I've learned to redefine what 'tired,' 'exhausted,' and 'sore' mean.

Bottom line, if you've put in the work, the race will be a mental conquest. When running a 50k, for instance, your body will likely want to tap out and you will then need to decide how much farther you want to push yourself. Once you do it a few times, it becomes old hat, just like anything else.

On a personal note, the first race I ever ran was a 50k. I'm not sure I would recommend it, but it really made the whole 5k/10k/marathon thing seem more manageable after I got a 32 miler under my belt.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2880 on: August 14, 2022, 03:11:46 PM »
My first running race was also a marathon. I was already running 15-20km almost daily,  so it seemed pointless to race a shorter distance.

I did a 130km road cycling race this morning.  Was really good right up to my crash at 115km. Still finished,  but that last stretch was a slog.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2881 on: August 14, 2022, 03:38:09 PM »

As someone who completed numerous Ultras (including a 100k), let me be the first to tell you that it is both easier and harder than it appears.

Easier in that all that concern about speed and PB's goes out the window, especially for a novice. Just finishing is the goal, and when it comes to distance, training is pretty straight forward. You run. A lot. And eventually you build up a base where a 20 mile run is just the thing you do every Thursday morning.

Harder in that all the training in the world can't truly prepare you for the mental and emotional gymnastics you encounter when you essentially take your longest distance and double it on race day. Having done a dozen or so of these races, I've learned to redefine what 'tired,' 'exhausted,' and 'sore' mean.

Bottom line, if you've put in the work, the race will be a mental conquest. When running a 50k, for instance, your body will likely want to tap out and you will then need to decide how much farther you want to push yourself. Once you do it a few times, it becomes old hat, just like anything else.

On a personal note, the first race I ever ran was a 50k. I'm not sure I would recommend it, but it really made the whole 5k/10k/marathon thing seem more manageable after I got a 32 miler under my belt.

Thanks Will for the response.  That bolded part was kind of my general thinking, hence while two 20K runs back to back on the weekend wasn't big by any means, it's adding the volume I think I need.

My other issue is what you say about PB's and times going out the window.  Yesterday I looked at my watch and Strava a bit too much.  I could see I was going to crack half marathon pace under 5:30.  This got in my head and kept me pushing and I stopped to see that time.  If I didn't get that in my head, I could have done a few more kms.  So I understand what you mean there I think.  The mental part really comes into it.  I'll keep slogging away.

My first running race was also a marathon. I was already running 15-20km almost daily,  so it seemed pointless to race a shorter distance.

I did a 130km road cycling race this morning.  Was really good right up to my crash at 115km. Still finished,  but that last stretch was a slog.

Just saw that, impressive man.  I hope the bike isn't too bad.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2882 on: August 21, 2022, 10:47:13 AM »
Did my 2nd half-marathon yesterday. First one was a disaster but this one was just ok. My goal was to finish it in under 2 hours and I did, in 1:59:50 ;D the weather was pretty shit and we had to go over the arched bridge 6 times in total so I'm pretty satisfied.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2883 on: August 21, 2022, 03:35:50 PM »
Great work! Sub 2hr half is a solid time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2884 on: August 21, 2022, 04:21:22 PM »
Did my 2nd half-marathon yesterday. First one was a disaster but this one was just ok. My goal was to finish it in under 2 hours and I did, in 1:59:50 ;D the weather was pretty shit and we had to go over the arched bridge 6 times in total so I'm pretty satisfied.

Nice work mate.  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2885 on: August 21, 2022, 04:25:17 PM »
Another long run Saturday and the thought of going marathon distance seemed okay the weekend before but this Saturday seemed further away, really difficult.  First time I really felt like I was going to pass out and felt dehydrated.  The weather is heating up though.  Got a half marathon PB of 1:54:50 though so can't complain.

Yesterday was a 10km PB too of 48:46 which felt pretty good, so, still improving.

Does anyone use gels on longer distance sessions?  I started using them and they seem like they actually help quite a bit.  Just not sure how many or how often you're supposed to use them.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2886 on: August 21, 2022, 05:48:32 PM »
I use gels/energy bars extensively.  You need carbs and electrolyte replacement when doing endurance exercise,  or you'll eventually hit a wall. I consume a gel or part of an energy bar every 20-30 minutes while riding, and aim to eat back about 1/3 to 1/2 of my calorie burn (i.e. i need to eat ~1,000-1,800 calories during the ride).

Your body uses glycogen for fuel, and can only store and process a certain amount every hour (different for every athlete). If you fall too far behind, you can't catch up since your body can't process the glycogen fast enough. This is a compounding problem if your burn rate is higher than your body's process rate (i.e. during hard exercise).

Long story short: if you want to perform,  eat early and often

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2887 on: August 21, 2022, 07:39:32 PM »
Thanks Rich for the information.  I think that explains Saturday.  I had one gel in my pocket which I consumed at about 8km.  I think another one around that 15-16km mark would have kept me doing a bit further because as I mentioned by 22km, I was cooked.

Man, these things are expensive though!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2888 on: August 21, 2022, 07:57:23 PM »
The cost is why i started making my own energy bars.  They're not quite as handy for eating while running though.  It's much easier to eat while on the bike

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2889 on: August 21, 2022, 10:33:13 PM »
The cost is why i started making my own energy bars.  They're not quite as handy for eating while running though.  It's much easier to eat while on the bike

Yeah, its bad enough trying to choke gel down in-between my accelerated breathing, I don't think I could eat haha.

I did get a few boxes on special yesterday.  A box of 4 gels was half price at $4.25.  Thats acceptable IMO.

I really have to get on top of actually eating more and more carbs.  Did another run this morning and I'm fucked.  My fasting regime simply isn't going to cut it if I want to up the mileage.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2890 on: August 21, 2022, 11:15:45 PM »
I find i can maintain my fasting if the workout is under 90min and i have electrolyte drink (mine is 5cal, so it doesn't really break my fast). I decided this summer that I'm just going eat before and during long rides if i have to schedule them in the morning.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2891 on: August 22, 2022, 01:31:51 AM »
Gels usually make my stomach ache, sadly. I take dates on my runs :lol also, sip of water every 15 minutes. On this last half-marathon water stations were too far apart imo and weather was awful for running, fortunately I had my own electrolyte drink + took water on stations.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2892 on: August 22, 2022, 04:55:30 AM »
Dates?!  :lol  Wow, that wouldn't end well for me I don't think.  I can't drink anything while running either, but if I try to go longer I'll have to work something out.

I find i can maintain my fasting if the workout is under 90min and i have electrolyte drink (mine is 5cal, so it doesn't really break my fast). I decided this summer that I'm just going eat before and during long rides if i have to schedule them in the morning.

Yeah, all my runs are fasted so far. I generally feel better training as fasted as possible.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: August 22, 2022, 05:26:48 AM »
I did go to the supermarket on the way home tonight and got another couple of boxes of gels while they were still half price too.   :tup

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2894 on: August 22, 2022, 06:53:34 AM »
I like GU brand. I had to test several to find which ones didn't give me a stomach ache. I like Jet Blackberry for some caffeine and Strawberry Banana for non-caffeinated.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2895 on: August 23, 2022, 04:19:50 PM »
I like GU brand. I had to test several to find which ones didn't give me a stomach ache. I like Jet Blackberry for some caffeine and Strawberry Banana for non-caffeinated.

The first brand I tried, they were so sickly sweet while I was running it left me with a weird feeling and coating in my mouth from the sugar.  Since I don't take water it wouldn't go away.  This brand I'm using now has a lot less sugar and was easier to stomach.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2896 on: August 23, 2022, 10:34:24 PM »

The first brand I tried, they were so sickly sweet while I was running it left me with a weird feeling and coating in my mouth from the sugar.  Since I don't take water it wouldn't go away.  This brand I'm using now has a lot less sugar and was easier to stomach.
Good lord, Kade! No food. No water.  20km runs. That's basically self torture for no reason lol. You'd probably shave 15s per km if you had proper nutrition/hydration.  Easily.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2897 on: August 24, 2022, 12:54:04 AM »

Good lord, Kade! No food. No water.  20km runs. That's basically self torture for no reason lol. You'd probably shave 15s per km if you had proper nutrition/hydration.  Easily.

I'll have some water beforehand and just brought some pre workout again.  Usually on the weekends will wake up, a bit if a stretch so water, preworkout and off I go!

15s per km!?  That's massive, what do I do?   :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2898 on: August 24, 2022, 06:49:35 AM »

Definitely need water to swish around after. On my seriously long runs, I would get hungry and would tuck a couple almonds into the pocket on my water bottle. Then I found they make gu gummies and the watermelon ones are pretty decent. Chewing something made a difference to me mentally.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2899 on: August 24, 2022, 07:25:18 AM »
I might start taking Haribo gummies or something, didn't find decent specialized ones (would they differ from regular gummies much?). I often run shorter runs with chewing gum and somehow it helps lol. Can't even describe it but everything feels easier.

It's been 4 days since half-marathon, I took a rest (lactic acid is a bitch), maybe I'll do an easy run today. Next week I'm starting 5k training for September 17th race. Managed 4:28/km pace for virtual race this summer, my new goal is 4:20 (just under 7:00/mile).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2900 on: August 24, 2022, 04:25:10 PM »

Definitely need water to swish around after. On my seriously long runs, I would get hungry and would tuck a couple almonds into the pocket on my water bottle. Then I found they make gu gummies and the watermelon ones are pretty decent. Chewing something made a difference to me mentally.

I think for my longer runs I'll need to start carrying like a small backpack or something, I'll have to look into it.  I have the gels in my pocket and I have my phone on me so carrying water aswell just wouldn't work.  I like the gummies idea. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2901 on: August 24, 2022, 04:27:05 PM »
I might start taking Haribo gummies or something, didn't find decent specialized ones (would they differ from regular gummies much?). I often run shorter runs with chewing gum and somehow it helps lol. Can't even describe it but everything feels easier.

It's been 4 days since half-marathon, I took a rest (lactic acid is a bitch), maybe I'll do an easy run today. Next week I'm starting 5k training for September 17th race. Managed 4:28/km pace for virtual race this summer, my new goal is 4:20 (just under 7:00/mile).

What's involved in your 5km training mate?

4:28 is a great time.  My fastest is 4:35 at the start of the year, 4:30 will be my next goal eventually. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2902 on: August 24, 2022, 04:27:59 PM »
Somehow last Sunday I smashed a 10km at 4:53 average pace.  That was after a 23km run on the Saturday.  So personally, I'm getting there, just need to not overdo it with the volume and injure myself like last time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2903 on: August 24, 2022, 04:29:00 PM »
Somehow last Sunday I smashed a 10km at 4:53 average pace.  That was after a 23km run on the Saturday.  So personally, I'm getting there, just need to not overdo it with the volume and injure myself like last time.

I pulled a groin just reading that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2904 on: August 24, 2022, 04:39:00 PM »
 :lol