Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192980 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. don't neglect rest/recovery!
« Reply #2800 on: July 29, 2022, 05:39:57 PM »
Man, I have been so off the wagon the last month.  Weather has been too nice, and with the landscape renovations we had done, I didn't really have the time to be at it first thing in the morning when the crew was here at 7am every day.  They're done now, so I'm gonna get back on the horse starting Monday (I'm away tomorrow/Sunday at Nick's wedding).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2801 on: July 29, 2022, 08:50:08 PM »
Ok, I just started lifting weights to go along with my endless cardio sessions and FUCK I'm so sore!  And I started with light free weights.  I feel like crying and I'm only in my 2nd week.

There simply is not enough Advil.   :-[

I just felt like complaining.  I already feel better.  K-thx  :P

Good stuff Harmony, that's definitely a good sore, embrace.  As Rich said, strength training is so important.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2802 on: July 29, 2022, 08:55:35 PM »
So, I'm still hitting the weights 5 arvos a week.  I'm finding I'm liking a lot more body weight calisthenics movements and hitting them inbetween the weight sets.  I feel it's improving my core strength more.

Anyway, I've sorted my leg out finally myself which is great and been running again for quite a few weeks now.  I'm hitting runs on weekends outdoors but through the week I'm attacking the treadmill.  Got myself a fitbit watch and started from stratch basically and doing some work under the maffetone method.  Slow running at a controlled heart rate which eventually will help you run faster for longer.  I'm hitting the treadmill after every weights session usually between 5-8km.  My target heart rate is between 140-145bpm and when I started I had to run a 9kmph for a full 5km.  Already, I can run a 5km at that heart rate zone at 10.5kmph, so it's definitely working.

Did a slower 18km run this morning out on the streets.  Starting to really build my threshold and endurance levels.  Just have to keep up the stretching and rolling.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2803 on: July 29, 2022, 08:59:17 PM »
Nice.  I'm envious.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2804 on: July 29, 2022, 09:07:37 PM »
Nice.  I'm envious.

You can do it mate!!!!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2805 on: August 04, 2022, 09:11:09 AM »
Question for all of you weight lifters.  How do you know when it is time to increase your weights?  I feel like while I'm exercising, I could lift a bit heavier while still keeping my form but it seriously takes me a good 48 hours to recover without feeling so sore.  ATM I'm alternating cardio one day and shorter cardio with free weights the next day.  I am taking 1 day off a week for full recovery.

So my dilemma is feeling ready to bump up a little but being scared of more soreness (which interferes with my ability to do other things like get a good night's sleep!)
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2806 on: August 04, 2022, 10:17:17 AM »
Question for all of you weight lifters.  How do you know when it is time to increase your weights?  I feel like while I'm exercising, I could lift a bit heavier while still keeping my form but it seriously takes me a good 48 hours to recover without feeling so sore.  ATM I'm alternating cardio one day and shorter cardio with free weights the next day.  I am taking 1 day off a week for full recovery.

So my dilemma is feeling ready to bump up a little but being scared of more soreness (which interferes with my ability to do other things like get a good night's sleep!)

Soreness is pretty much just a part of exercise. That is, after all, how the muscles are growing. As for when to bump up the weight, it depends on your goals (size, strength, tone - low, med, high reps respectively). Once you can consistently perform more reps than your target range, you should up the weights accordingly.

As I've discovered, and fully expected, my cardio regiment kills any strength gains. I haven't significantly increased my weights in 2 to 3 years despite lifting ~3 days per week. I put in a good 7 hours of cardio each week, and sometimes quite a bit more on weeks I long ride (i.e. 3+ hrs). At this point I pretty much lift to maintain strength, and the rest is for esthetics.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2807 on: August 04, 2022, 10:40:23 AM »
Thanks for that.  I guess I was hoping the soreness would eventually ease up.    *crying*

My goals are for gradual weight loss of about 20 pounds while toning and getting stronger.  I realize muscle gain can make losing numbers on the scale take longer and I'm fine with that.  As I am aging, I'm really just want to set myself up for having the ability to stay active as long as I physically can.

Along with my weight loss goal is a commitment to improved sleep because these 2 factors are completely intertwined.  The soreness is making sleep harder, not easier.  So I guess I will get back to taking Advil every day again.  *sigh*

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2808 on: August 04, 2022, 11:53:10 AM »
Thanks for that.  I guess I was hoping the soreness would eventually ease up.    *crying*

My goals are for gradual weight loss of about 20 pounds while toning and getting stronger.  I realize muscle gain can make losing numbers on the scale take longer and I'm fine with that.  As I am aging, I'm really just want to set myself up for having the ability to stay active as long as I physically can.

Along with my weight loss goal is a commitment to improved sleep because these 2 factors are completely intertwined.  The soreness is making sleep harder, not easier.  So I guess I will get back to taking Advil every day again.  *sigh*

It will.  Your body will adapt to a certain degree.  Jump in a cold shower, and the first minute is rough.  Then you get used to it.  Same with lifting - probably a month or so of more-than-usual DOMS, but it won't always be as bad as it is when you first start out.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2809 on: August 04, 2022, 11:56:33 AM »

It will.  Your body will adapt to a certain degree.  Jump in a cold shower, and the first minute is rough.  Then you get used to it.  Same with lifting - probably a month or so of more-than-usual DOMS, but it won't always be as bad as it is when you first start out.

God I hope so!  I feel like a grandma going up a flight of stairs.  LoL

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2810 on: August 04, 2022, 12:00:29 PM »

Even for lifting veterans, a particularly gruelling session will make ya crumble.  Especially taxing when it's from leg-day.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2811 on: August 04, 2022, 02:48:43 PM »
Yup. Did a crossfit session a couple days ago with many a deadlift. I'm still having trouble getting out of chairs lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2812 on: August 04, 2022, 03:10:28 PM »
Yup. Did a crossfit session a couple days ago with many a deadlift. I'm still having trouble getting out of chairs lol

The worst is getting on and off the throne!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2813 on: August 04, 2022, 03:36:46 PM »

That will ease up, but it's a sign you're doing it right.  I actually love now when I'm able to push myself a bit harder to feel that soreness the next day.  Once you feel comfortable with the weight you're doing and 10-15 reps I think feels less taxing and you're able to go past that rep range and not hit failure, bump it up.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2814 on: August 04, 2022, 03:40:21 PM »

Soreness is pretty much just a part of exercise. That is, after all, how the muscles are growing. As for when to bump up the weight, it depends on your goals (size, strength, tone - low, med, high reps respectively). Once you can consistently perform more reps than your target range, you should up the weights accordingly.

As I've discovered, and fully expected, my cardio regiment kills any strength gains. I haven't significantly increased my weights in 2 to 3 years despite lifting ~3 days per week. I put in a good 7 hours of cardio each week, and sometimes quite a bit more on weeks I long ride (i.e. 3+ hrs). At this point I pretty much lift to maintain strength, and the rest is for esthetics.

It's hard to find a balance hey.  My main goal now too is to maintain strength and lifts.  Running is more my focus now and the weights do suffer but I just make sure I get through the minimum to maintain.  The recovery to be able to perform both most days of the week is tough.  I stopped taking pre-workout but have ordered some again for those down days.

When I lost heaps of weight poorly the first time I did it wrong, and my strength decreased a lot, along with muscle.  I think with any heavy cardio routine, maintaining what you can do in the weight room is key.  Once you see a drop in lifts, something is wrong and you need to fix ASAP.

That 100+K ride you did the other day was mighty impressive also mate.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2815 on: August 04, 2022, 03:54:21 PM »

That will ease up, but it's a sign you're doing it right.  I actually love now when I'm able to push myself a bit harder to feel that soreness the next day.  Once you feel comfortable with the weight you're doing and 10-15 reps I think feels less taxing and you're able to go past that rep range and not hit failure, bump it up.

Random thought as I go to hit the treadmill - I'm both stronger than I thought AND wimpier than I thought.   :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2816 on: August 04, 2022, 04:05:38 PM »

That's exactly what i meant by 'chair' lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2817 on: August 04, 2022, 04:38:32 PM »

Are you DTFing and riding at the same time!?  :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2818 on: August 04, 2022, 05:54:11 PM »

Nah lol. DTF in the locker room at work, quick ride home,  DTF in the garage whilst racking my bike. Using my phone while riding at those speeds would be a poor decision for my phone,  myself, or very likely both

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2819 on: August 04, 2022, 05:57:25 PM »

Nah lol. DTF in the locker room at work, quick ride home,  DTF in the garage whilst racking my bike. Using my phone while riding at those speeds would be a poor decision for my phone,  myself, or very likely both

That's still some nice DTFing multitasking.  I thought about DTFing while running but it too would probably end badly.  :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2820 on: August 08, 2022, 12:00:53 PM »
Don't post here very often, but want to contribute a bit more. So fitness update!

My main source of exercise is dance games, specifically 4 panel stamina. For those who don't know (aka everyone) it's basically maintaining sustained fast movement for long periods of times. Like running but lower impact, and along with running you can have songs that feel like sprints and others that are marathons. For the past two years I've really been putting in more time and it's paid off. It feels good to be at the best of my ability while also being as old as I've ever been. I know I'm younger than most here, but for me, doing what I'm doing while going on 31 feels great.

I never enjoyed running, but now I really understand a runner's high. The mental flow state you get in while in a marathon and the sense of accomplishment you get while improving is so satisfying. I never would've thought maintaining a heart rate of 180+ for an hour straight would be fun growing up, but here I am, and I love it.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2821 on: August 08, 2022, 01:16:00 PM »
I consider pretty much anything that gets your heart rate up as exercise. Dancing itself is wicked hard cardio when done vigorously.  Cycling is my jam. I love that shit in all its forms. Is it hard? Sure. Is it painful cardio sometimes? Sure. But it's also my favorite pass time.  I realized earlier this season that i ride around with a constant grin on my face (hard sprints and hills aside... in which case I likely sport a look of agony).

That's the holy grail of exercise: finding something that improves/maintains your health that you really enjoy.  Glad you found your grail, Implode!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2822 on: August 08, 2022, 02:12:16 PM »
Thanks! I really appreciate it. Never been the active type for most my life, so it's very fulfilling.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2823 on: August 08, 2022, 02:46:51 PM »
I consider pretty much anything that gets your heart rate up as exercise. Dancing itself is wicked hard cardio when done vigorously.  Cycling is my jam. I love that shit in all its forms. Is it hard? Sure. Is it painful cardio sometimes? Sure. But it's also my favorite pass time.  I realized earlier this season that i ride around with a constant grin on my face (hard sprints and hills aside... in which case I likely sport a look of agony).

That's the holy grail of exercise: finding something that improves/maintains your health that you really enjoy.  Glad you found your grail, Implode!

Quoted for truth

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2824 on: August 08, 2022, 03:05:58 PM »

Quoted for truth

Agreed!

So with my weight training DOMS I went and got a 90 minute full body massage yesterday (rest day) and now I'm more sore than I was before!   :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2825 on: August 08, 2022, 03:06:42 PM »

Quoted for truth

Agreed!

So with my weight training DOMS I went and got a 90 minute full body massage yesterday (rest day) and now I'm more sore than I was before!   :lol

Did you use a Groupon?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2826 on: August 08, 2022, 03:12:09 PM »

Quoted for truth

Agreed!

Did you use a Groupon?

:spitcoffee:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2827 on: August 08, 2022, 03:49:24 PM »
I will never tell.   :P

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2828 on: August 08, 2022, 04:51:56 PM »

Quoted for truth

Agreed!

Did you use a Groupon?

What the fuck is a Groupon?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2829 on: August 08, 2022, 04:52:17 PM »
Don't post here very often, but want to contribute a bit more. So fitness update!

My main source of exercise is dance games, specifically 4 panel stamina. For those who don't know (aka everyone) it's basically maintaining sustained fast movement for long periods of times. Like running but lower impact, and along with running you can have songs that feel like sprints and others that are marathons. For the past two years I've really been putting in more time and it's paid off. It feels good to be at the best of my ability while also being as old as I've ever been. I know I'm younger than most here, but for me, doing what I'm doing while going on 31 feels great.

I never enjoyed running, but now I really understand a runner's high. The mental flow state you get in while in a marathon and the sense of accomplishment you get while improving is so satisfying. I never would've thought maintaining a heart rate of 180+ for an hour straight would be fun growing up, but here I am, and I love it.

Interesting.  Whatever works mate and you enjoy, as Rich said.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2830 on: August 08, 2022, 04:59:15 PM »

Quoted for truth

Agreed!

Did you use a Groupon?

Inside joke from the massage thread.

Also, Tim has worn out too much on you. While I get that Groupon apparently isn’t a thing in Oz, Google is your friend. :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2831 on: August 08, 2022, 05:06:31 PM »
So.......I think I want to aim to do an ultra marathon.  Not sure how I'll get there when anything around 15km leaves me feeling like my legs are about to break.  Was smashing the 5kms last year but now I'm back into it, I'm starting to enjoy the longer runs.  Longest distance I've done is a half marathon so not sure how I'll get to an ultra.  :lol  I'll keep plugging away though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2832 on: August 08, 2022, 05:07:12 PM »

Quoted for truth

Agreed!

Did you use a Groupon?

Also, Tim has worn out too much on you. While I get that Groupon apparently isn’t a thing in Oz, Google is your friend. :biggrin:

Why google when you can just tell me?  Oh that's right, you still didn't tell me.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2833 on: August 08, 2022, 05:09:41 PM »

Quoted for truth

Agreed!

Did you use a Groupon?

Why google when you can just tell me?  Oh that's right, you still didn't tell me.  :lol

Exactly. Chadshmegland.

You know at work today, I was having a conversation with a guy and he said he was watching The Mandalorian, and I asked him what that was, and he said....google it.

OK that actually didn't happen. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2834 on: August 08, 2022, 05:11:21 PM »
You guys know about www.usethefuckinggoogle.com

Right?