Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 191618 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. don't neglect rest/recovery!
« Reply #2765 on: April 08, 2022, 03:27:13 AM »
It's my first half-marathon tomorrow, wish me luck! My only goal is to finish it but I'll aim for 6:00 pace and see/feel how much I can hold out.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2766 on: April 08, 2022, 04:30:46 AM »
Good luck Tomi!!  Go get 'em killer.

I've got a nice case of DOMS this morning - lots of squats and lunges yesterday.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2767 on: April 08, 2022, 04:47:38 AM »
I've got a nice case of DOMS this morning - lots of squats and lunges yesterday.

Same, but it's in me pecs and lats.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2768 on: April 08, 2022, 06:39:41 AM »
It's my first half-marathon tomorrow, wish me luck! My only goal is to finish it but I'll aim for 6:00 pace and see/feel how much I can hold out.

Good luck!

Good luck Tomi!!  Go get 'em killer.

Hurts so good?

I started off strong lifting this year, that was until I got a hernia :/. Getting surgery later this month but I'm dying to get back into it. In the meantime I've been walking a bunch and have lost about 15 pounds since the start of the year. I'm at my lowest weight in probably 5 years.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2769 on: April 08, 2022, 08:19:58 AM »
Good on ya, Kay.   :tup
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2770 on: April 08, 2022, 02:33:29 PM »

Go and crush it mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2771 on: April 08, 2022, 02:47:22 PM »

Good Luck Man!

I'm certain you'll finish if you're eying a 6:00 pace. That's a heck of a pace which would indicate you're in great shape! I hope you get your goal!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2772 on: April 08, 2022, 02:57:11 PM »
Good luck Tomi! I'm happy if I drive at a 6:00 pace.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2773 on: April 08, 2022, 03:12:28 PM »
Thank you all! I'll probably start conservative and speed up if I feel like it. I was able to do 10k with 5:42 pace 2 weeks ago, and it was just a training, not a race.
It's min/km, just to be sure :lol in min/mile it's about 9:39

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2774 on: April 08, 2022, 03:37:42 PM »
Thank you all! I'll probably start conservative and speed up if I feel like it. I was able to do 10k with 5:42 pace 2 weeks ago, and it was just a training, not a race.
It's min/km, just to be sure :lol in min/mile it's about 9:39

Solid mate.  I've done a couple of half marathon distances just for fun and was able to get around 5:30 pace.  You'll easily crack 6 minutes, especially if it is a proper race type event.  You'll be surprised, if you've done 10km, usually 10-15km isn't that much harder, but once you hit around 17-18km that's when shit gets real lol.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2775 on: April 08, 2022, 03:45:36 PM »
I've done 16 km for training few weeks ago. It is in most half marathon training plans, if you can do 16, you can probably do another 5.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2776 on: April 08, 2022, 03:51:20 PM »
I've done 16 km for training few weeks ago. It is in most half marathon training plans, if you can do 16, you can probably do another 5.

Definitely.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2777 on: April 11, 2022, 09:46:51 AM »

Dude, it's been two days! Where the hell is the update? :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2778 on: April 11, 2022, 11:35:31 AM »
I'm still dead :lol I finished it but although I was at around 6:00 until 17 km, I had to walk a portion of last 4 kms due to awful pain on the left side of abdomen. Finished in 2 hours and 12 minutes. I'm glad I finished but I'm not happy with the result. The good thing is, I don't think I can do worse next time :biggrin: have to work on my nutrition and sleep more.
All in all, it was alright until km 16 (as wolfking said before), after that only pain :biggrin: but somehow I managed to finish last 500m strong and crossed the finish line with nice pace.
Next stop is Wings for life run in 4 weeks. As I said before, it is a different kind of a race, you run until catcher car gets you :biggrin: I plan on running for about 16 km, need pace 5:59 for that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2779 on: April 11, 2022, 04:45:54 PM »
I'm still dead :lol I finished it but although I was at around 6:00 until 17 km, I had to walk a portion of last 4 kms due to awful pain on the left side of abdomen. Finished in 2 hours and 12 minutes. I'm glad I finished but I'm not happy with the result. The good thing is, I don't think I can do worse next time :biggrin: have to work on my nutrition and sleep more.
All in all, it was alright until km 16 (as wolfking said before), after that only pain :biggrin: but somehow I managed to finish last 500m strong and crossed the finish line with nice pace.
Next stop is Wings for life run in 4 weeks. As I said before, it is a different kind of a race, you run until catcher car gets you :biggrin: I plan on running for about 16 km, need pace 5:59 for that.

WTF?!

Well done on your effort regardless mate, that's still a decent enough time.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2780 on: April 12, 2022, 04:18:44 AM »
Thanks!
Don't know if I explained race format well, here's a 2019 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O7D1vAzz-E
I'll be participating in virtual run and everyone can too. The cool thing is everyone is running at the same time, for me it's 1 PM, in Australia it's 9 PM (I think).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2781 on: April 12, 2022, 04:28:58 AM »
Thanks!
Don't know if I explained race format well, here's a 2019 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O7D1vAzz-E
I'll be participating in virtual run and everyone can too. The cool thing is everyone is running at the same time, for me it's 1 PM, in Australia it's 9 PM (I think).

Wow, that's very cool!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2782 on: May 02, 2022, 01:40:13 PM »
Here goes something that I just started hearing about for cognitive fitness. They are called Lion's Mane mushrooms.

They are supposed to be good for memory in general (possibly help with alzheimer's), overall brain function and nerve repair. Anyone else ever try these are know about them? I just started trying them out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2783 on: May 02, 2022, 01:50:24 PM »
never heard of it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2786 on: May 02, 2022, 03:09:22 PM »
In all honesty, I put limited stock in most natural remedies; although with fungi I could see them having a tangible benefit for something cognitive related. Given what psybicillin (not bothering to look up the correct spelling) can do, I've no doubt other mushrooms can do all kinds of things to the brain.

Phoneix, have you tried them and seen some results?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2787 on: May 02, 2022, 07:00:14 PM »
A few months ago I had bought them for my grandfather since he was having nerve pain/numbness and I figured it was worth a try.

He ended up not wanting to try it so I did for a week for the hell of it and it was pretty interesting. It was like having the "awakeness" and "focus" of a cup of coffee but none of the jitters. My mood was more optimistic as well.

Everything felt very "on point" and ultimately I felt perhaps a bit too enthusiastic to get things done  :lol

So I just threw them in the drawer and stumbled upon them again today as i was cleaning.

One other really wild thing I experienced was very vivid, lucid dreams. usually dreams are so fleeting, so it was kinda cool to not only be aware you are dreaming, but have time to wander around. Very surreal
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 07:11:56 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #2788 on: May 07, 2022, 12:19:39 PM »
A few months ago I had bought them for my grandfather since he was having nerve pain/numbness and I figured it was worth a try.

He ended up not wanting to try it so I did for a week for the hell of it and it was pretty interesting. It was like having the "awakeness" and "focus" of a cup of coffee but none of the jitters. My mood was more optimistic as well.

Everything felt very "on point" and ultimately I felt perhaps a bit too enthusiastic to get things done  :lol

So I just threw them in the drawer and stumbled upon them again today as i was cleaning.

One other really wild thing I experienced was very vivid, lucid dreams. usually dreams are so fleeting, so it was kinda cool to not only be aware you are dreaming, but have time to wander around. Very surreal
This is the Lion's Mane to which you are referring? If so, beyond the dreams....do you feel like it helped you get a longer, deeper sleep accordingly?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2789 on: May 07, 2022, 12:48:44 PM »
Yeah, all that was regarding the Lion's Mane.

It may help with sleep, but I'm not a good person to ask. I work weird hours and rarely if every sleep well or consistently. All I experienced was vivid and longer dreams.

On a side note, I just took it daily for a week. For me, it basically was acting like an anti-depressant. My mood is usually cynical, grumpy or indifferent. This week it was up and I was more comfortable in public around people (which is very nice). And man, the confidence was WAY up.

Just like the last time I took it, it was a little too much. Part of that may be that I'm just not used to that new mindset, but regardless I am gonna cut the dose in half see If I can get a nice middleground. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 08:23:21 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #2790 on: May 08, 2022, 09:19:20 AM »
Yeah, all that was regarding the Lion's Mane.

It may help with sleep, but I'm not a good person to ask. I work weird hours and rarely if every sleep well or consistently. All I experienced was vivid and longer dreams.

On a side note, I just took it daily for a week. For me, it basically was acting like an anti-depressant. My mood is usually cynical, grumpy or indifferent. This week it was up and I was more comfortable in public around people (which is very nice). And man, the confidence was WAY up.

Just like the last time I took it, it was a little too much. Part of that may be that I'm just not used to that new mindset, but regardless I am gonna cut the dose in half see If I can get a nice middleground.
Nice. Thanks for the info!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2791 on: May 08, 2022, 03:24:04 PM »
So, between some really bad depression in Feb/March, trying to ease into my routine in April, and now COVID... this year has largely been a write-off.  I've lost all the gains I had over the past couple of years.  Still likely to be another 2-3 weeks before I've completely kicked the COVID after-effects, so I've revised my goals now to get back to where I was last year, by the end of 2024 (about when I turn 52).  Slightly demoralized to fall so far back, but I'll just clear the slate, and start over again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2792 on: May 08, 2022, 05:55:38 PM »
So, between some really bad depression in Feb/March, trying to ease into my routine in April, and now COVID... this year has largely been a write-off.  I've lost all the gains I had over the past couple of years.  Still likely to be another 2-3 weeks before I've completely kicked the COVID after-effects, so I've revised my goals now to get back to where I was last year, by the end of 2024 (about when I turn 52).  Slightly demoralized to fall so far back, but I'll just clear the slate, and start over again.

I tried to turn lifting while recovering from COVID into a bit of a challenge, but the first week was tough and then after that it started getting better each day.

That all fucking sucks though man.  Like always though, it won't take you long to get back to it.  Still a second half of the year to make up for it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2793 on: May 08, 2022, 06:02:40 PM »
Me personally, I've been lifting quite well 5 days a week and swimming Saturday and Sunday mornings.  My lifting has been consistent and on odd days I'll do higher intensity lifting mixed with bursts of rowing to get the heart rate up.  Kind of like a HIIT session mixed with cardio and weights.  I always make sure going back to a set after a row I'm maintaining the weight though, good stuff.

The swimming I get up super early around 4.30am both Saturday and Sunday to go and do around 2.5-3.0km each session and get out before any staff arrive for the day.  It's fucking relaxing to drive there and swim in darkness, get out, feel good, grab a coffee and drive home while the sun is coming up knowing I've done my cardio, love it.  I'm hating my job, but this is a major perk.  So I've been training 7 days a week.  Monday morning now tough, and I'm buggered, probably need to take a day off next weekend.  My diet needs major improving too.  I eat like shit and it's affecting me in various ways....

As for running, I've had a major problem with my whole right leg.  The ankle issue is somewhat okay but the overall tightness in my glute, hammy, hip is just relentless.  I stretch and roll in the morning and at night but I simply can't run and won't even try.  I went and saw a physio who was fucking useless and gave me stretches I already knew.  Went to my chiro who I haven't seen for a couple of years and he put my hip back in which helped a little but not sure what to do now.  I guess I'll just keep stretching and rolling.  It's getting there but at snails pace, so frustrating and I miss the running badly.  Luckily I have other options but wanted to get more serious and a massive set back.  I probably could say fuck it and go for a run, but the aftermath isn't worth it. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2794 on: May 08, 2022, 06:07:55 PM »
Me personally, I've been lifting quite well 5 days a week and swimming Saturday and Sunday mornings.  My lifting has been consistent and on odd days I'll do higher intensity lifting mixed with bursts of rowing to get the heart rate up.  Kind of like a HIIT session mixed with cardio and weights.  I always make sure going back to a set after a row I'm maintaining the weight though, good stuff.

The swimming I get up super early around 4.30am both Saturday and Sunday to go and do around 2.5-3.0km each session and get out before any staff arrive for the day.  It's fucking relaxing to drive there and swim in darkness, get out, feel good, grab a coffee and drive home while the sun is coming up knowing I've done my cardio, love it.  I'm hating my job, but this is a major perk.  So I've been training 7 days a week.  Monday morning now tough, and I'm buggered, probably need to take a day off next weekend.  My diet needs major improving too.  I eat like shit and it's affecting me in various ways....

As for running, I've had a major problem with my whole right leg.  The ankle issue is somewhat okay but the overall tightness in my glute, hammy, hip is just relentless.  I stretch and roll in the morning and at night but I simply can't run and won't even try.  I went and saw a physio who was fucking useless and gave me stretches I already knew.  Went to my chiro who I haven't seen for a couple of years and he put my hip back in which helped a little but not sure what to do now.  I guess I'll just keep stretching and rolling.  It's getting there but at snails pace, so frustrating and I miss the running badly.  Luckily I have other options but wanted to get more serious and a massive set back.  I probably could say fuck it and go for a run, but the aftermath isn't worth it.

3 key words right there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2795 on: May 08, 2022, 06:32:13 PM »
Fair.  I'm learning haha.  It takes me a while though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2796 on: July 01, 2022, 06:34:43 AM »
 :omg:

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/mechanic-smashes-world-record-for-most-push-ups-in-an-hour-a-whopping-3183-all-while-in-pain/

Daniel Scali took on the Herculean task in April and managed to surpass the previous total by 128—cranking out 51 push-ups every minute for a solid hour.

I mean, it's not a full range-of-motion pushup, but still. Damn

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2797 on: July 01, 2022, 11:10:27 AM »
:omg:

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/mechanic-smashes-world-record-for-most-push-ups-in-an-hour-a-whopping-3183-all-while-in-pain/

Daniel Scali took on the Herculean task in April and managed to surpass the previous total by 128—cranking out 51 push-ups every minute for a solid hour.

I mean, it's not a full range-of-motion pushup, but still. Damn
He looks like a guy that does 3,000+ push ups in an hour,  every single hour lol. Dude's jacked

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2798 on: July 29, 2022, 03:45:51 PM »
Ok, I just started lifting weights to go along with my endless cardio sessions and FUCK I'm so sore!  And I started with light free weights.  I feel like crying and I'm only in my 2nd week.

There simply is not enough Advil.   :-[

I just felt like complaining.  I already feel better.  K-thx  :P
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2799 on: July 29, 2022, 04:31:45 PM »
Ok, I just started lifting weights to go along with my endless cardio sessions and FUCK I'm so sore!  And I started with light free weights.  I feel like crying and I'm only in my 2nd week.

There simply is not enough Advil.   :-[

I just felt like complaining.  I already feel better.  K-thx  :P

Welcome to the club! Strength training is an integral part of overall fitness, so i try to get 2-3 sessions per week. Although it definitely still takes a back seat to cardio most of the time lol. At least the hurt is a good hurt!