Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192352 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. How's it goin this week?
« Reply #1540 on: July 09, 2020, 07:52:05 PM »
Kade knows all about being hobbled.  I still cringe thinking about you dropping that db on your toe.

Don’t remember that story, but sounds painful

Was in the gym and taking a 20kg (45lbs) plate off the rack while watching the tv. For some reason I didn't have a firm grip or I think I kind of pulled it with momentum and was suppose to catch it but the rack was shorter than what I though.  Obviously I was distracted from the tv. It fell off from waist hight and slammed right across my big toe on my left foot.  Absolutely crushed it like a pancake.  My whole foot went numb and was a shocking sight when I took my shoe off.

Tried to tell myself it was alright.  Got a lift home and tried to sleep it off.  Went to hospital the next day and the look on their face was amazement I didn't go to the ER right away.  The whole toe was destroyed and there was a chance that I was going to lose it.  Had two surgeries all up and had pins it in which stuck out the side of my toe.  Was in a boot for over 2 months.  The bone is fused together and I can't bend it.  The running I'm doing is causing pain now and I think I'm even starting to get some arthritis and it gets quite stiff and painful.  Never been the same since.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1541 on: July 09, 2020, 07:53:36 PM »
Yikes 😳

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1543 on: July 09, 2020, 08:18:19 PM »
That's so scary, Kade. Wow. Makes me hurt just to read it.

Back in 2017 I was working a second job at FedEx. Had these real nice work boots on, picked up this package, holy shit it's heavy for a long cylindrical thing, next thing I know something's coming out of the cardboard. 90 pound solid steel cylindrical rod. Landed directly on my right big toe. Same thing happened - whole foot went numb, shattered the toe, but not as bad as yours (feels like it was never broken, actually). Still have pictures of the mess it turned into, took ages to heal, the damage was unbelievable even with those thick steel toed boots on. I'm guessing you were wearing tennis shoes, and man that makes me hurt to think about. Jeeze!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 08:37:58 PM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: July 09, 2020, 08:36:48 PM »
That's so scary, Kade. Wow. Makes me hurt just to read it.

Back in 2017 I was working a second job at FedEx. Had these real nice work boots on, picked up this package, holy shit it's heavy for a long cylindrical thing, next thing I know something's coming out of the cardboard. 90 pound solid steel cylindrical job. Landed directly on my right big toe. Same thing happened - whole foot went numb, shattered the toe, but not as bad as yours (feels like it was never broken, actually). Still have pictures of the mess it turned into, took ages to heal, the damage was unbelievable even with those thick steel toed boots on. I'm guessing you were wearing tennis shoes, and man that makes me hurt to think about. Jeeze!

Wow mate, lucky you were wearning the boots or else you were cooked.

Yeah, just had runners on.  I laugh everytime I look at the signs in the gym 'for health and safety, only covered shoes allowed in the gym.'  Doesn't make a damn difference lol.  I've got a couple of pictures somewhere too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1545 on: July 09, 2020, 09:03:03 PM »
Wow I didn't know that, kind of makes your running even more unbelievable after that.  I couldn't imagine looking at my own smashed toe

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1546 on: July 09, 2020, 09:05:54 PM »
All the gory detail - though, the pics aren’t showing (thankfully)

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42139.0
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: July 09, 2020, 09:06:18 PM »
Wow I didn't know that, kind of makes your running even more unbelievable after that.  I couldn't imagine looking at my own smashed toe

It was a few years ago now.  But took a couple of years initially to get to some kind 'normal.'  It will never be perfect, but it's nothing compared to what others have been through or put up with so I can't complain.  Just hope any long term issues aren't too severe down the track.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: July 09, 2020, 09:09:42 PM »
All the gory detail - though, the pics aren’t showing (thankfully)

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42139.0

Wow, I forgot I made a thread.  Reading my initial post, I had no idea what I was in for.  In denial for sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1549 on: July 14, 2020, 09:05:37 PM »
I had no bacon or spinach this morning in the fridge, just eggs and cheese.  I put peanut butter on them.

Don't knock it til you tried it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1550 on: July 15, 2020, 01:07:21 AM »
I had no bacon or spinach this morning in the fridge, just eggs and cheese.  I put peanut butter on them.

Interesting

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1551 on: July 15, 2020, 02:21:33 AM »

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1552 on: July 15, 2020, 05:13:41 AM »
Gregg would have been proud of the keto-ness of the meal lol.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1553 on: July 15, 2020, 10:15:20 AM »
 :lol doesn't sound good at all, but whatever works

Had my best workout of the week this morning so feeling pretty good today.  A few weeks ago I upped my dumbbells from 30 to 35 and I'm slowly starting to bang out more reps.  Also been making smoothies for lunch when I work from home, which have been tasty and very low calorie overall.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1554 on: July 15, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »

Gregg would have been proud of the keto-ness of the meal lol.

*Nods while grinning*

Speaking of keto. While I've been recovering from my hernia repair, I've been unable to get much exercise but I've effortlessly stuck with keto. Dropped another 10 pounds in 8 weeks. It was pretty exciting to see 189 on the scale. Haven't seen the 180's for more than a decade!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: July 15, 2020, 04:36:49 PM »
Well done Gregg, massive achievement and hope your recovery is going well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1556 on: July 15, 2020, 07:41:03 PM »
Awesomesauce!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1557 on: July 15, 2020, 08:04:30 PM »
Nice!! :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1558 on: July 15, 2020, 08:10:11 PM »

I had peanut butter on an english muffin this morning.

Don't knock it till you tried it.  ;D

It was pretty exciting to see 189 on the scale. Haven't seen the 180's for more than a decade!

I apologize if this sounds rude. It's not meant to be, but ......why haven't you seen 180's? You don't strike me as the type of guy to have not taken care of yourself, or have to resort to a fad like keto diet to get back under control.
How tall are you?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:39:23 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: July 16, 2020, 05:25:14 AM »
It was pretty exciting to see 189 on the scale. Haven't seen the 180's for more than a decade!

I apologize if this sounds rude. It's not meant to be, but ......why haven't you seen 180's? You don't strike me as the type of guy to have not taken care of yourself, or have to resort to a fad like keto diet to get back under control.
How tall are you?

It actually is rude, but I don't expect you to understand. I've been following your posting career for all these years, after all. I still love you in spite of it.

I'm 5'10", and as you saw from the picture of me with the King, I was pretty round. 140 lbs. Sure, I carried it well, but reality is reality. I have enjoyed my life, which includes good food and good drinks. If you're not active enough, that adds up. For a myriad of boring reasons, I fell out of the habit of working out. So there you have it.

Oh, and keto (for me and millions of other people) is not a fad! It's a dietary philosophy that is keeping me out of diabetes and heart disease. Would you dismissively hand wave away a vegetarian diet for someone with high cholesterol? My A1c's (blood glucose measurement) were at 7.1 prior to starting the diet. With in 6 months, they were down to the 5 ish range. Almost a year later, down to 4.8.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1560 on: July 16, 2020, 05:59:36 AM »

I'm 5'10", and as you saw from the picture of me with the King, I was pretty round. 140 lbs. Sure, I carried it well, but reality is reality. I have enjoyed my life, which includes good food and good drinks. If you're not active enough, that adds up. For a myriad of boring reasons, I fell out of the habit of working out. So there you have it.

Did you mean 240?  ;D

I guess I meant it as a compliment because you just seem to be a guy on top of his shit.

Oh, and keto (for me and millions of other people) is not a fad! It's a dietary philosophy that is keeping me out of diabetes and heart disease. Would you dismissively hand wave away a vegetarian diet for someone with high cholesterol? My A1c's (blood glucose measurement) were at 7.1 prior to starting the diet. With in 6 months, they were down to the 5 ish range. Almost a year later, down to 4.8.

Would I dismissively hand wave a way a vegetarian diet for high cholesterol? Of course not.

And those A1C readings...yes I know what that is, I'm Type 2, are amazing. It only stands to reason if you cut out carbs, that number will go down. But I mean, sure diabetes can be self induced, but I was oddly diagnosed at 30, not overweight, eating decently. My pancreas just stopped working properly. I had a physical yesterday, so I'd be thrilled if my A1C was in the 6's.
I'm also 5'10" and have been basically at the same weight for the last 30 years staying in the 183-188 range.

And I realize it's a "me" issue, but when I think about these, Atkins, Paleo, Keto, to me it just doesn't add up. It's not a balanced diet.
But if someone is medically necessary to cut something out, that's fine.

How do the carbs in alcohol work in keto diet, er...philosophy?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1561 on: July 16, 2020, 06:14:51 AM »
Damn, that sucks Tim regarding the diabetes.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: July 16, 2020, 06:19:24 AM »
Truthfully, I think society has been holding on to the '50s standard of "balanced diet" for WAY too long.  I mean, those standards (or "nutrition guides") were developed coming out of the shortages from WWII - of everything... quality meats, produce, fruits etc.  So the "balanced" diet is based on 1950s data, thinking, research at the time.  Additionally, a 'one-size-fits-all' approach is flawed in pretty much everything.  What works for you, for me, for Greg, for Kade ... it's all unique.

I'd very much like to try a keto diet, but no one else in my house will, so I'm not going thru the effort for just myself.  I just try to keep my cals in check, and take in as much protein as I can.  I could be much cleaner on my diet, and at some point, I will clamp down so that I can shed some of the body fat that I want to, in order to get to 10%-ish BF before I turn 50.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1563 on: July 16, 2020, 06:22:44 AM »
As you know I started not necessarily keto but upped the fat.  It's worked wonders but I don't think I got in actual ketosis.  I couldn't do what I do without the weekend treats and sugar and carbs.  No way!  It all balances out in the end.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: July 16, 2020, 06:27:04 AM »
I just try to keep my cals in check, and take in as much protein as I can. 

Pretty much this. Make sure fat is in check and you're good.

No matter type of eating plan you take on, you want to lose weight, you need a calorie defecit.  Even if krispy kremes are you main food source, stay in a defecit  and you can eat them every day.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1565 on: July 16, 2020, 06:57:50 AM »

No matter type of eating plan you take on, you want to lose weight, you need a calorie defecit.  Even if krispy kremes are you main food source, stay in a defecit  and you can eat them every day.

Pretty much. I remember reading years ago of a teacher or professor who ate McD's but keeping a calorie defecit and he ended up losing like 50 pounds.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1566 on: July 16, 2020, 07:09:56 AM »

Pretty much. I remember reading years ago of a teacher or professor who ate McD's but keeping a calorie defecit and he ended up losing like 50 pounds.

Pretty sure there was the same study on twinkies too.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: July 16, 2020, 10:34:31 AM »

Did you mean 240?  ;D

:facepalm: Doh, of course.  :lol

I echo Chad's comments about antiquated standards of a "balanced diet". My body simply needed a different balance. Because it's only me and Mrs. P in the house, it's easy for us to stay on keto.

How do the carbs in alcohol work in keto diet, er...philosophy?

There are zero carbs in distilled liquor (well a little in rum, but I don't drink rum). There is a few in wine. And beer is all over the place (but I don't drink beer often). Mixers are where the outlandish carbs come from, so like Chad, I pretty much stick with sipping Scotch neat, or have a Gin and sugar-free tonic...an occasional glass of red wine. I've always been a moderate imbiber anyway, so no problem there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1568 on: July 17, 2020, 06:30:17 AM »

There are zero carbs in distilled liquor (well a little in rum, but I don't drink rum). There is a few in wine. And beer is all over the place (but I don't drink beer often). Mixers are where the outlandish carbs come from, so like Chad, I pretty much stick with sipping Scotch neat, or have a Gin and sugar-free tonic...an occasional glass of red wine. I've always been a moderate imbiber anyway, so no problem there.

That's interesting.

Imbiber means drinker I assume?

Truthfully, I think society has been holding on to the '50s standard of "balanced diet" for WAY too long.  I mean, those standards (or "nutrition guides") were developed coming out of the shortages from WWII - of everything... quality meats, produce, fruits etc.  So the "balanced" diet is based on 1950s data, thinking, research at the time.  Additionally, a 'one-size-fits-all' approach is flawed in pretty much everything.  What works for you, for me, for Greg, for Kade ... it's all unique.

Haven't the food pyramids been adjusted a couple of times over the years? Nutritional groups can always be manipulated for a desired goal.

My stepson was going to do the Keto diet and my wife begged him not to. Ketosis seems like a pretty scary thing. And as a diabetic, I'm certainly not trying to add ketones to my blood/urine.

Nothing wrong with a low carb diet. I have to watch my carb intake. But to me, the keto diet seems a bit too strong. Seems to much of a swing.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1569 on: July 17, 2020, 08:57:26 AM »
They actually revamped the Canada Food Guide in 2018 or 2019. It's pretty good in terms of general nutritional guidelines. I guess they decide to take advice from dietitians instead of idustry CEOs. Of course the dairy farmers think you should drink 8 glasses of milk each day. Doesn't mean it's necessary or nutritional.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1570 on: July 17, 2020, 01:59:11 PM »
They actually revamped the Canada Food Guide in 2018 or 2019. It's pretty good in terms of general nutritional guidelines. I guess they decide to take advice from dietitians instead of idustry CEOs. Of course the dairy farmers think you should drink 8 glasses of milk each day. Doesn't mean it's necessary or nutritional.

I was a milk fanatic for years (1%). But for the last few years I’ve only had sugar free almond milk which I really enjoy. It still goes great with my protein shakes.  But every once in awhile I will still have a chocolate milk, which rules  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1571 on: July 17, 2020, 02:01:15 PM »
I think almond milk in a protein shake would be fine, but no way could I drink a glass of almond milk.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1572 on: July 17, 2020, 02:02:03 PM »
I like it

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1573 on: July 17, 2020, 02:06:38 PM »
My wife will buy it and out it in her cereal.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1574 on: July 17, 2020, 02:11:01 PM »
My wife will buy it and out it in her cereal.

Not that there is anything wrong with that