Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192269 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. How's it goin this week?
« Reply #1505 on: July 08, 2020, 03:48:23 PM »
Yeah, keep it guys. It's seriously impressive and motivating! Been having a frustrating couple weeks where I haven't been able to get as much cardio in. I keep thinking, "Just stop making excuses and do it," but it's hard to work up that motivation some days when you know you have to come back and still cook dinner and everything else. One day at a time. All set to sweat my ass off tonight though.

Mate, it's all about making it part of your routine.  It has to become a habit and just part of your schedule.  It seems like you are starting to beat yourself up for not doing your workouts, that's good.  It means your thinking is starting to change.  Eventually that guilt will force you to start making it part of your routine.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1506 on: July 08, 2020, 03:53:30 PM »
Yeah, keep it guys. It's seriously impressive and motivating! Been having a frustrating couple weeks where I haven't been able to get as much cardio in. I keep thinking, "Just stop making excuses and do it," but it's hard to work up that motivation some days when you know you have to come back and still cook dinner and everything else. One day at a time. All set to sweat my ass off tonight though.

Mate, it's all about making it part of your routine.  It has to become a habit and just part of your schedule.  It seems like you are starting to beat yourself up for not doing your workouts, that's good.  It means your thinking is starting to change.  Eventually that guilt will force you to start making it part of your routine.

Yeah, that's how I got so disciplined with weightlifting and cardio at the gym some years ago. Eventually going every night was second nature. But running fucking suuuuucks, dude, my mind boggles at the level you're at. At least, it sucks right now for me. This shit hurts!!  :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1507 on: July 08, 2020, 04:01:57 PM »
Thanks Jason too for the kind words.  Like Chad I was just overweight for my whole life until I was about 27.  I've grown to love and become obsessed with fitness.  I've kept at it since the start though.  I've had my challenges and faced eating disorders and almost on the verge of devdeverloping anorexia at one stage but I got past that. 

With gyms fully back open lately I've just been able to hit the weights more and concentrate on that daily.  Still adding a 5km run at the end of each workout though.

I know believe me.  Kade and Chad  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1508 on: July 08, 2020, 04:11:33 PM »
According to the last pics I saw of you on FB, you’re built pretty solid yourself, Jay
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1509 on: July 08, 2020, 04:12:31 PM »

Yeah, that's how I got so disciplined with weightlifting and cardio at the gym some years ago. Eventually going every night was second nature. But running fucking suuuuucks, dude, my mind boggles at the level you're at. At least, it sucks right now for me. This shit hurts!!  :lol :lol

Is there something else you can do for cardio to replace running?  I'm totally with you, running SUCKS for me.  I absolutely hate it and my body hates it just as much as I do it seems.  Having said that, I have been thinking about doing a bit of it to supplement my biking just to change things up.  Biking in my basement is becoming like second nature but at the same time, is starting to feel a bit boring.  There's not much around me, but I do walk to the liqour store (literally the only store I can easily walk to) and noticed a bunch of babes I've never seen before in my neighborhood last week.  Kind of makes me want to walk around a bit more  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1510 on: July 08, 2020, 04:14:10 PM »

Is there something else you can do for cardio to replace running?  I'm totally with you, running SUCKS for me.  I absolutely hate it and my body hates it just as much as I do it seems.  Having said that, I have been thinking about doing a bit of it to supplement my biking just to change things up.  Biking in my basement is becoming like second nature but at the same time, is starting to feel a bit boring.  There's not much around me, but I do walk to the liqour store (literally the only store I can easily walk to) and noticed a bunch of babes I've never seen before in my neighborhood last week.  Kind of makes me want to walk around a bit more  :lol

:lol I guess I could buy a jump rope. Or get a box and do thousands of step-ups in front of the TV. Or pick up parkour...  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1511 on: July 08, 2020, 04:15:14 PM »
Marc, you looking for high intensity, or low / steady state?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1512 on: July 08, 2020, 04:16:11 PM »
According to the last pics I saw of you on FB, you’re built pretty solid yourself, Jay

Toronto  :metal :metal :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1513 on: July 08, 2020, 04:17:44 PM »
Marc, you looking for high intensity, or low / steady state?

I'm not a high intensity guy unless it comes to a metal concert or playing call of duty.  With regards to running, I am not in any shape to do high intensity since I haven't gone for a job in a while. 

:lol I guess I could buy a jump rope. Or get a box and do thousands of step-ups in front of the TV. Or pick up parkour...  :lol

None of that sounds fun to do for an extended period of time, but maybe mix a little of that in and drop a little of the running?  I don't know, just throwing out ideas.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #1514 on: July 08, 2020, 07:14:49 PM »
I average 6-7 miles of walking per day at work. Pretty happy with that.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1515 on: July 08, 2020, 07:25:24 PM »

Toronto  :metal :metal :metal

Pics of Jason?

Let's see 'em!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1516 on: July 08, 2020, 07:43:26 PM »
Tim when you join Facebook in 2050!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1517 on: July 08, 2020, 07:45:54 PM »
I'll never see 2050.

Let's go, post a pic!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1518 on: July 08, 2020, 07:49:40 PM »
Ok 2030 lol.....just sign up for crying out loud

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1519 on: July 08, 2020, 09:03:31 PM »
Ok 2030 lol.....just sign up for crying out loud

Per my sig, you'd have an easier time bring the Internet to the Ahmish.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1520 on: July 08, 2020, 11:55:50 PM »
Yeah I'll sign up to Facebook one day too lol.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1521 on: July 09, 2020, 12:07:37 AM »

I didn't like it at the start but I was just determined to get better and fitter.  I just came around to learning to love it.

I am fearing the amount I'm doing though may start to bring my eating disorder issues to light.  Loving the distances but let's me eat what I want yet then cutting back in other areas because of the food choices.  Mainly weekends but not good.  Can be a vicious cycle.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1522 on: July 09, 2020, 12:31:58 AM »
I don’t know anything about what wolf just said but I do know the following:

George: can I flip on the siren?

Jerry: why are you bothering them?

George: I’m just asking them, all they have to do is say no

Officer: Yeah go ahead

Siren

George: Check it out

Jerry: can I try it?

Officer: yeah go ahead hurry up

Jerry: Scared the hell out of that guy!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1523 on: July 09, 2020, 12:38:09 AM »
 :lol What the fucking fuck?!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1524 on: July 09, 2020, 12:43:09 AM »

I’m currently watching The Trip episode parts 1&2 c’mon Kade

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1525 on: July 09, 2020, 06:31:50 AM »

I’m currently watching The Trip episode parts 1&2 c’mon Kade

Hey hey now, I know the episodes well, just so random.    :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1526 on: July 09, 2020, 06:53:07 AM »
Seinfeld mixes with everything well, including exercise lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1527 on: July 09, 2020, 06:58:50 AM »
Went surfing for the first time the other day.

Holy crap, what a work out. Great cardio just from general swimming, but then there's the added level of fighting the waves and current. Then paddling to get into position and pushing yourself up to get on the board. Really loved it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1528 on: July 09, 2020, 07:07:58 AM »
Seinfeld mixes with everything well, including exercise lol

I can't argue with that one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1529 on: July 09, 2020, 07:08:34 AM »
Went surfing for the first time the other day.

Holy crap, what a work out. Great cardio just from general swimming, but then there's the added level of fighting the waves and current. Then paddling to get into position and pushing yourself up to get on the board. Really loved it.

I could imagine it takes a lot of core strength.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1530 on: July 09, 2020, 07:08:58 AM »
I’ve always found swimming to be one of the best and hardest exercises to do

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1531 on: July 09, 2020, 09:16:54 AM »
Here's a good one:

Been working my ass off all Spring to get my 40-year old self in the best shape of my life (I typically keep myself in the 10-12% bf range, but two weeks back, I was at 9 and flirting with 8). We had a vacation coming up that I decided to use as a 'goal' for my Spring workouts.

No gym, mind you, so this was all with a square piece of carpet in the basement and two sets of dumbells and many buckets of sweat. No treadmill either - I got very familiar with my neighborhood on my morning runs (it was a brutal cold Spring up here in Cleveland).

So we go to the Outer Banks last week...and I am so psyched. I look good, I feel good, I'm get to go run on the beach ever morning, sit by the pool...the whole nine yards. And so what do I do? I jump into the pool on the first day and break my foot!

How, you ask - by trying to win a dunk contest with my 11-year old!!! (just imagine the Jordan logo and a shallow pool and you get the idea)

Oh man, the pain. I knew the second my foot hit the side of the pool I was screwed. My foot is jacked and the urgicare people want me to go the hospital on the mainland right away. Well, needless to say, I got a second-opinion once I got home and the prognosis is much better - no surgery, just a boot for 6-8 weeks. Either way, I'm done running this Summer (and probably most of the Fall), I ruined my vacation (and was a huge, immobile burden to my wife), and basically spent my first week off in over a year on a sofa with a laptop.

The moral of the story: don't be an idiot like me!!!  When the sign says 'Don't Jump', follow it!

But seriously, I'm glad to see this thread going strong. I check out everyone's progress here pretty routinely, and it's nice to see that the pandemic hasn't stopped our collective fitness goals!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1532 on: July 09, 2020, 10:02:13 AM »
damn dude that is very unfortunate

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1533 on: July 09, 2020, 10:08:27 AM »
Ouch that sucks

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1534 on: July 09, 2020, 01:06:15 PM »
Mother of God. Dammit, we all have our ‘turning 40’ injury story, don’t we?

That blows, Willy. Do the needful, and get healed before pushing yourself. Time for a lot of upper body work, eh?

It’s another scorcher here. Think I’ll do some HIIT by the pool soon.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1535 on: July 09, 2020, 04:34:21 PM »
Mother of God. Dammit, we all have our ‘turning 40’ injury story, don’t we?

That blows, Willy. Do the needful, and get healed before pushing yourself. Time for a lot of upper body work, eh?

It’s another scorcher here. Think I’ll do some HIIT by the pool soon.

Ain't that the truth, my friend.

Right now, I've shifted to weight workouts on my knees...very humbling indeed.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1536 on: July 09, 2020, 05:46:35 PM »
Wearing the boot all summer is a bummer but at least you don’t need surgery

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1537 on: July 09, 2020, 06:45:06 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1538 on: July 09, 2020, 07:24:20 PM »
Kade knows all about being hobbled.  I still cringe thinking about you dropping that db on your toe.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1539 on: July 09, 2020, 07:34:24 PM »
Kade knows all about being hobbled.  I still cringe thinking about you dropping that db on your toe.

Don’t remember that story, but sounds painful