Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 190387 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1470 on: June 28, 2020, 06:10:25 AM »
Did a 16km run today. (9.94 miles)  Time was 1 hour, 32 minutes and 33 seconds.  Slow but my 12km time was 1:08:32, so the 12km was better than last week, so my pace is slowly picking up over long distances.  Was amazing.  I'm becoming absolutely addicted to running.

I timed my times at 8km, 12km and 16km.  My 16km time today was 1 hour 31 minutes and 12 seconds, so I beat that time at least.

Only a 16km run today.  Did around 28km on the treadmill through the week so after the 21km last Sunday, by today, my legs were sore as hell.  Speaking of new shoes, I need a new pair.  Felt like I was running barefoot.

Nevertheless, my 16km time today was 1 hour 29 minutes and 19 seconds so just shy of 2 minutes faster then last week.  Very happy with that.

16km time today was 1 hour 28 minutes and 28 seconds.  Not bad.  I've had a big week and have a lot less sleep with work operating again from Saturday morning so solid enough. With my Sunday runs I'm doing around 45km running a week. Eating so much ice cream, chocolate, donuts, Maccas on the weekends and still losing weight.  It's crazy.

Another 16km run this morning with a time of 1 hour 24 minutes and 54 seconds.  Demolished last weeks time by 3 and a half minutes.  Works out about 8 and a half minutes a mile which is slow but that's about 5 minutes 20 seconds per km which is definitely on the up, especially for that distance.

Been getting up at 5:30am and doing 6km road runs in the morning around the block before work.  Been brutal but the road running obviously much more beneficial than the treadmill.  Been able to lift in the gym every week day too with short quick 45 minute sessions.

Completed 50km running this week.  Brutal.

16km run again today.  A time of 1 hour 24 minutes and 11 seconds.  43 seconds better than last week.  I think I'm reaching my limit though.  Not sure what the next step is to get faster again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. How's it goin this week?
« Reply #1471 on: June 28, 2020, 06:12:10 AM »
Not sure what the next step is to get faster again.

Have a 'roo chase you. Those things are terrifying.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1472 on: June 28, 2020, 06:23:21 AM »

Terrifying?  :lol

To be fair they box like Mike Tyson.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1473 on: June 28, 2020, 11:36:35 AM »
I think I'm reaching my limit though.  Not sure what the next step is to get faster again.

I applaud your effort very much, but if you feel you've reached your physical limit, maybe try not to go so hard before the next step is hurting your knees or something.  That's why I won't run because I'm so damn worried about my shitty knees and ankles.

I think the last three days were my best three consecutive days of work outs.  Started making some fruit smoothies for lunch too this week.  I have these frozen fruits I bought awhile ago and finally decided to eat them, pretty tasty and basic smoothie.  I've got to go hit the bike and weights now....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1474 on: June 28, 2020, 11:41:53 AM »

Terrifying?  :lol

To be fair they box like Mike Tyson.

Kangaroos are kind of terrifying if you think about it. IIRC they can move over 30 miles an hour, jump 6 feet high, clear more than 20 feet in a single jump, I bet their feet can deliver a kick that would separate your torso from the rest of your body, they can box, AND they're jacked. And they can do that while carrying a baby in their pouch like a fucking new age crossfit mom with a papoose or some shit.

Australia is like Jumanji, I don't know how you people live there. All the deadliest shit is there, AND they're big. Looking at those clock spiders for example  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1475 on: June 28, 2020, 12:20:41 PM »
They aren't just big either, those super tiny jellyfish that can kill you too  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: June 28, 2020, 01:14:19 PM »
I didn’t know much about Kangaroos until they were mentioned in this thread and I then YouTubed them. Man, they are mean sons of bitches. Kade, you ever come face to face with one of those bastards? (You know, everyone’s either a bastard or a son of a bitch)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1477 on: June 28, 2020, 01:25:41 PM »
And to keep it fitness related, kangaroos are ripped and basically professional boxers

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1478 on: June 28, 2020, 04:23:00 PM »
Nice double workout today. Did some lifting this morning, and some HIIT (one of the Insanity routines) on the pool deck. Had a viscous sweat going, but I couldn’t go full out, I ended up with a ‘stich’ pretty much right from the warmup.  :angry:  Wasn’t fun.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:20:14 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: June 28, 2020, 04:59:49 PM »
Y'all and your viscous sweats. That is gross.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: June 28, 2020, 07:17:04 PM »
I think I'm reaching my limit though.  Not sure what the next step is to get faster again.

I applaud your effort very much, but if you feel you've reached your physical limit, maybe try not to go so hard before the next step is hurting your knees or something.  That's why I won't run because I'm so damn worried about my shitty knees and ankles.

I think the last three days were my best three consecutive days of work outs.  Started making some fruit smoothies for lunch too this week.  I have these frozen fruits I bought awhile ago and finally decided to eat them, pretty tasty and basic smoothie.  I've got to go hit the bike and weights now....

Thanks mate for the advice.  Yeah, I get more ankle pain then knee pain.  I'm just trying to keep the stretching and rolling at a high frequency to keep managing.  I'm wary of knees.  If anything starts to feel weird there I'll re a Lily pay close attention to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1481 on: June 28, 2020, 07:20:00 PM »
I didn’t know much about Kangaroos until they were mentioned in this thread and I then YouTubed them. Man, they are mean sons of bitches. Kade, you ever come face to face with one of those bastards? (You know, everyone’s either a bastard or a son of a bitch)

They are everywhere and if there is any space of bushland around, you can bet they are around.  Have seen them in the back and front yards many times.  They don't attack you at all.  Even though people think they do, any signs of humans they just jump away.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1482 on: July 01, 2020, 06:28:44 AM »
Been having a frustrating couple of days. On the 27th, I started upping my daily walking from 5 miles to 7 miles, with bits of jogging sprinkled in. The weightloss hit a brick wall as soon as I made the change  :justjen I haven't broken 1600 calories in a day in weeks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1483 on: July 01, 2020, 08:21:55 AM »
patience and keep at it

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1484 on: July 01, 2020, 10:35:01 PM »
Been having a frustrating couple of days. On the 27th, I started upping my daily walking from 5 miles to 7 miles, with bits of jogging sprinkled in. The weightloss hit a brick wall as soon as I made the change  :justjen I haven't broken 1600 calories in a day in weeks.

You positive you've stuck to the same caloric intake?  Not having a go mate, just an honest question.

Looking at that chart though you haven't really hit a brick wall that much as you are at your lowest weight.  Daily fluctuations are normal.  Give it a week and reasses.  You can't lose at a high speed long term.  Sometimes your body holds for days then one day you'll have a sudden significant drop. 

Don't stress on the daily numbers, you'll go nuts.  Theres too many variables and even things like toilet frequency can affect your numbers.  Although the 400g increase that one day is interesting.  Anything different the day before that may warrant that?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1485 on: July 01, 2020, 10:42:05 PM »
Also, 1600 seems very low.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1486 on: July 02, 2020, 05:51:15 AM »
For starters, it's not 400g, it's 0.4lbs.

Secondly, 7lbs weight-loss in 1 week is damned fuckin good.  General rule of thumb is 2% of body weight is the ideal target for consistent gains (or losses depending on your view).

I'll take Kade's comment a step further - don't even stress over the weelkly numbers.  I only weigh-in once/week (usually on Sundays - first thing in the morning, before consuming anything, and after I drop the kids off at the pool  ;) ... do the same thing consistently, so that a glass of water or cup of coffee don't skew things).  I've had weeks where I was 100% clean in my eating, worked out like a fiend, and ended up gaining weight... and then weeks where I slacked on my workout, and was sloppy with my nutrition (booze, sweets, fatty foods - or all three!), and LOST weight.

The body is a fickle mistress.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1487 on: July 02, 2020, 03:46:26 PM »
For starters, it's not 400g, it's 0.4lbs.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1488 on: July 02, 2020, 04:02:36 PM »
I find scale weight is only really useful over a longer period for trending purposes. I do weigh myself, and log it, every day, but I don't much care about the number on the scale any particular morning. I just need it for the data point. And like Jingle, I weigh myself in the morning after going to the bathroom, so the only thing in my body is a cup or less of coffee.My weight will easily fluctuate 5lbs in a single week. Hell, yesterday's log was 196.6lbs and this morning was 199.2. I know for sure I didn't overeat 12,000 calories, so that weight gain is just how my body decided to process the different types of food I ate the day before.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: July 02, 2020, 04:03:29 PM »
I find scale weight is only really useful over a longer period for trending purposes. I do weigh myself, and log it, every day, but I don't much care about the number on the scale any particular morning. I just need it for the data point. And like Jingle, I weigh myself in the morning after going to the bathroom, so the only thing in my body is a cup or less of coffee.My weight will easily fluctuate 5lbs in a single week. Hell, yesterday's log was 196.6lbs and this morning was 199.2. I know for sure I didn't overeat 12,000 calories, so that weight gain is just how my body decided to process the different types of food I ate the day before.

Totally misinterpreted what log you were referring to until I re-read this post slowly.  :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1490 on: July 02, 2020, 04:14:52 PM »
Well... Some days it does feel like both logs have the same weight lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: July 03, 2020, 05:23:30 PM »
Well I'm sure I'm not the only person who ever, out of curiosity, weighed themselves both before and after dropping a log  :lol #forscience

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: July 03, 2020, 05:29:54 PM »
Well I'm sure I'm not the only person who ever, out of curiosity, weighed themselves both before and after dropping a log  :lol #forscience

Only time I remember doing that was at a superbowl party back in the late 90s.  We all put money into a pot, and whoever could piss the most, got the pot.  One guy weighed in at 236.5, and finished at 231 right after his leak.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: July 03, 2020, 10:26:16 PM »
 :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: July 04, 2020, 04:50:57 PM »

I had done it a bit when I was borderline eating disorder.  One of the points I knew something was wrong lol.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: July 05, 2020, 08:15:33 PM »
Did a 16km run today. (9.94 miles)  Time was 1 hour, 32 minutes and 33 seconds.  Slow but my 12km time was 1:08:32, so the 12km was better than last week, so my pace is slowly picking up over long distances.  Was amazing.  I'm becoming absolutely addicted to running.

I timed my times at 8km, 12km and 16km.  My 16km time today was 1 hour 31 minutes and 12 seconds, so I beat that time at least.

Only a 16km run today.  Did around 28km on the treadmill through the week so after the 21km last Sunday, by today, my legs were sore as hell.  Speaking of new shoes, I need a new pair.  Felt like I was running barefoot.

Nevertheless, my 16km time today was 1 hour 29 minutes and 19 seconds so just shy of 2 minutes faster then last week.  Very happy with that.

16km time today was 1 hour 28 minutes and 28 seconds.  Not bad.  I've had a big week and have a lot less sleep with work operating again from Saturday morning so solid enough. With my Sunday runs I'm doing around 45km running a week. Eating so much ice cream, chocolate, donuts, Maccas on the weekends and still losing weight.  It's crazy.

Another 16km run this morning with a time of 1 hour 24 minutes and 54 seconds.  Demolished last weeks time by 3 and a half minutes.  Works out about 8 and a half minutes a mile which is slow but that's about 5 minutes 20 seconds per km which is definitely on the up, especially for that distance.

Been getting up at 5:30am and doing 6km road runs in the morning around the block before work.  Been brutal but the road running obviously much more beneficial than the treadmill.  Been able to lift in the gym every week day too with short quick 45 minute sessions.

Completed 50km running this week.  Brutal.

16km run again today.  A time of 1 hour 24 minutes and 11 seconds.  43 seconds better than last week.  I think I'm reaching my limit though.  Not sure what the next step is to get faster again.

Hmmm....my time yesterday was 1 hour, 24 minutes and 29 seconds, so 18 seconds slower.  However my split time at 12km was 20 seconds faster than last week.  Just really didn't have the legs on the last 4km it seems.  45km for the week.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: July 08, 2020, 09:05:04 AM »
It’s 11am, 29C already, and I just did a 40 minute Insanity routine on my deck. That was one helluva sweat inducing, punishing workout.  Thing I’ll dive into the pool to cool down.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: July 08, 2020, 09:55:16 AM »
Chad and Kade are becoming the most fit men on planet earth  :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1498 on: July 08, 2020, 10:02:07 AM »
Yeah, keep it guys. It's seriously impressive and motivating! Been having a frustrating couple weeks where I haven't been able to get as much cardio in. I keep thinking, "Just stop making excuses and do it," but it's hard to work up that motivation some days when you know you have to come back and still cook dinner and everything else. One day at a time. All set to sweat my ass off tonight though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1499 on: July 08, 2020, 10:09:39 AM »
Well I can let Chad and Kade give more details if they want.  But knowing them for years on here I know both are and have been making vast improvements and should be role models for exercise and fitness.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1500 on: July 08, 2020, 10:27:31 AM »
Chad and Kade are becoming the most fit men on planet earth  :tup

True, these guys are busting ass.  Good motivators. 

Yeah, keep it guys. It's seriously impressive and motivating! Been having a frustrating couple weeks where I haven't been able to get as much cardio in. I keep thinking, "Just stop making excuses and do it," but it's hard to work up that motivation some days when you know you have to come back and still cook dinner and everything else. One day at a time. All set to sweat my ass off tonight though.

I don't think this is unusual.  Just keep at it, you've been doing a good job too so you'll get back into the mindset soon enough.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1501 on: July 08, 2020, 10:45:05 AM »
It’s 11am, 29C already, and I just did a 40 minute Insanity routine on my deck. That was one helluva sweat inducing, punishing workout.  Thing I’ll dive into the pool to cool down.

In Edmonton, it's been between 15 and 20c most days, and it's rained part of every day for the last 50 days. The weather is seriously depressing given that my favourite exercise is riding bikes. I've still been able to do road riding when it's not torrential, but I haven't touched my mountain bike in a month.

I would gladly welcome some of the heat you guys are seeing in Ontario!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1502 on: July 08, 2020, 01:15:41 PM »
And I’d gladly swap for some of the rain. It hasn’t dropped anything in almost a month other than a couple of pop up 10-20 minute storms. Rain is in the forecast for the weekend tho

Thanks for the kind words guys. I’m definitely in the best shape of my life, though that’s not exactly saying much, since I was a fat fuck Until about 2006.  I lost a bunch of weight for many years, but put a good chunk of it back on by 2015. Still got a ways to go to get where I want to be in my mind, but I am seeing the changes - which ain’t all that easy at 48 years old!  Last weigh in was 180.4lbs; 14.3%BF.

Still gotta lose the moobs tho.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: July 08, 2020, 03:38:40 PM »
Chad & Kade destroy the moobs 2020  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: July 08, 2020, 03:45:42 PM »
Thanks Jason too for the kind words.  Like Chad I was just overweight for my whole life until I was about 27.  I've grown to love and become obsessed with fitness.  I've kept at it since the start though.  I've had my challenges and faced eating disorders and almost on the verge of devdeverloping anorexia at one stage but I got past that. 

With gyms fully back open lately I've just been able to hit the weights more and concentrate on that daily.  Still adding a 5km run at the end of each workout though.