Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192776 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. How's it goin this week?
« Reply #1435 on: June 11, 2020, 06:27:11 AM »
In just a few days I have become a smoothie makin' machine. Delicious, nutritious, and filling. Usually make a fruit smoothie for lunch and then a veggie-based one for dinner. Now I know what to buy regularly at the store. Unfortunately not much cardio this week. First I got caught up being busy, then there was a storm last night, now I have a friend's cookout to visit. Oh well.

I really like fruit smoothies.  I havent done them part of my routine at all this time around, but in the past I've used a fruit smoothie to replace lunch after a work out or similar.  I however have never had a veggie smoothie.  The thought really doesn't interest me, but maybe I'm missing something since I haven't actually tried it.  What's your veggie smoothie and do you enjoy it?

Well, I'm still trial-and-erroring recipes because I'm just eyeballing what I'm putting in there, so I don't have a go-to yet. But today I tossed in a big handful of spinach, 2 carrots, an avocado, a cup of almond milk, and a drizzle of honey. The other night I replaced the avocado with a large banana (no honey, the banana added enough sweetness on its own). Delicious! I think I'd like to add some ground flax seed next time, though. If I'm really hungry I've found adding some plain Greek yogurt does the trick nicely.

Haven't made one I dislike (yet), but the best thing I've made so far is a simple strawberry-banana-blueberry smoothie with almond milk and a spoonful of Greek yogurt. YUM. The veggie one is trickier because the fruits taste better :)

Mate, I would suggest to get onto some protein powders to add to your smoothies.  I drink protein shakes like water and a nice vanilla one or even banana flavoured would work a treat I reckon.  With the more exercise you are doing, you should look at upping your protein intake.

Way ahead of you there haha, I've been buying protein powder for about 9 years. Although I only use it occasionally. I prefer getting my protein from actual food and only use it when I'm doing a lot of weight lifting in the gym, since chicken and eggs and tuna are already prominent in my diet. Really trying to stick to clean whole foods for all my nutrients.

Although I might try it in a smoothie but they're already jam packed with food as is  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline H2

« Reply #1436 on: June 13, 2020, 12:48:14 PM »
Has anyone tried the running app Zombies, Run? It's an incredibly well-made, immersive running app where you roleplay as a runner for a growing township during the zombie apocalpse. I've been having a blast with it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1437 on: June 14, 2020, 04:57:06 AM »
Has anyone tried the running app Zombies, Run? It's an incredibly well-made, immersive running app where you roleplay as a runner for a growing township during the zombie apocalpse. I've been having a blast with it.

WTF?!  :lol

To be fair, where I live and when I go out running, the people I'm around it feels like I'm already running in a zombie apocalypse.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1438 on: June 14, 2020, 05:01:14 AM »
Did a 16km run today. (9.94 miles)  Time was 1 hour, 32 minutes and 33 seconds.  Slow but my 12km time was 1:08:32, so the 12km was better than last week, so my pace is slowly picking up over long distances.  Was amazing.  I'm becoming absolutely addicted to running.

I timed my times at 8km, 12km and 16km.  My 16km time today was 1 hour 31 minutes and 12 seconds, so I beat that time at least.

Only a 16km run today.  Did around 28km on the treadmill through the week so after the 21km last Sunday, by today, my legs were sore as hell.  Speaking of new shoes, I need a new pair.  Felt like I was running barefoot.

Nevertheless, my 16km time today was 1 hour 29 minutes and 19 seconds so just shy of 2 minutes faster then last week.  Very happy with that.

16km time today was 1 hour 28 minutes and 28 seconds.  Not bad.  I've had a big week and have a lot less sleep with work operating again from Saturday morning so solid enough. With my Sunday runs I'm doing around 45km running a week. Eating so much ice cream, chocolate, donuts, Maccas on the weekends and still losing weight.  It's crazy.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1439 on: June 14, 2020, 05:13:53 AM »
Holding steady on my weekly weigh-in, despite not working out much this week (only twice).  Gonna do some yoga later today, and get back on my program after 2 weeks off.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1440 on: June 16, 2020, 10:15:18 AM »
It's official: I'm off desserts (my brother-in-law made giant ice cream sundaes and I could barely eat two spoonfuls even though I was really into the idea of having one after a few weeks with no sugary treats) and on the exercise bike. I ride it on the second to hardest setting, stay for about 30 minutes and keep a decent pace. Perhaps tonight I can try for 45 minutes.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: June 16, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »
It's official: I'm off desserts (my brother-in-law made giant ice cream sundaes and I could barely eat two spoonfuls even though I was really into the idea of having one after a few weeks with no sugary treats) and on the exercise bike. I ride it on the second to hardest setting, stay for about 30 minutes and keep a decent pace. Perhaps tonight I can try for 45 minutes.

Nice! 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1442 on: June 16, 2020, 11:14:41 AM »
Joined a gym yesterday and had my first workout in ages. I was walking around the gym trying to look like I knew what I was doing, which I didn't.  :lol It so funny how there's always the people flexing themself infront of the mirror while working out, being so in love with themself. It's so out of my comfort zone I guess.
Atleast I did something since I was really sore this morning.

Anyway on friday I will meet a trainer that will help me out. I feel pretty good about getting started again.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: June 16, 2020, 11:23:32 AM »
It so funny how there's always the people flexing themself infront of the mirror while working out, being so in love with themself.

While this may be true in some circumstances, I'm guessing that the majority are checking their technique and form in an effort to maximize the workout while not injuring themselves. Proper form is crucial in weight lifting and most experienced lifters know that. If you don't have a spotter/work out partner, a mirror is truly helpful. That's why, in most gyms, mirrors are only near the free weights.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1444 on: June 16, 2020, 11:37:51 AM »
Speaking of injuring oneself, I did something over the weekend. My Google self diagnosis is that is probably a rib muscle strain (intercostal muscles).  I don't think it's super serious, because my pain is mild, and I have a pretty low pain tolerance.  But it's definitely noticeable if I cough, sneeze, or move a certain way.  Anyone have experience with this?  I've limited myself to walking for exercise the last couple days, and that doesn't seem to bother me so I hope that means it's not bad for recovery.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1445 on: June 16, 2020, 11:38:28 AM »
It so funny how there's always the people flexing themself infront of the mirror while working out, being so in love with themself.

While this may be true in some circumstances, I'm guessing that the majority are checking their technique and form in an effort to maximize the workout while not injuring themselves. Proper form is crucial in weight lifting and most experienced lifters know that. If you don't have a spotter/work out partner, a mirror is truly helpful. That's why, in most gyms, mirrors are only near the free weights.
Yea I know, I can definitely see mirrors being helpful in training. I guess it's easy to feel that when you haven't been in that environment for a long time. I'm pretty sure some people do enjoy flexing themself though and the gym is the perfect place to do that.  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1446 on: June 16, 2020, 11:44:15 AM »

Yea I know, I can definitely see mirrors being helpful in training. I guess it's easy to feel that when you haven't been in that environment for a long time. I'm pretty sure some people do enjoy flexing themself though and the gym is the perfect place to do that.  :)

The difference between the person using the mirror to help adjust their technique vs the person in love with themself is probably one has a phone/camera.  I'm really not a fan of the gym culture and a big reason why I won't give my money to a gym.  I like having my own haven to do my work outs.

Speaking of injuring oneself, I did something over the weekend. My Google self diagnosis is that is probably a rib muscle strain (intercostal muscles).  I don't think it's super serious, because my pain is mild, and I have a pretty low pain tolerance.  But it's definitely noticeable if I cough, sneeze, or move a certain way.  Anyone have experience with this?  I've limited myself to walking for exercise the last couple days, and that doesn't seem to bother me so I hope that means it's not bad for recovery.

Yea, I've had similar before where you can pin point the spot in your chest that hurts when you laugh/cough.  It should go away in a couple days.  I think the first time that happened I was worried I was going to have a heart attack and then realized my heart is on the other side of my chest and I had just done a heavy work out the day before  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1447 on: June 16, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »
Yeah, I've had that before, Lethean. Like Marc said it should go away in a couple days. Maybe try alternating heat/ice where it hurts, too, if you can.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1448 on: June 16, 2020, 12:05:04 PM »
Luckily it's low enough that I didn't think heart, which is always one of the worst things to imagine is wrong with yourself.  Cleveland clinic website says it can take weeks to fully heal but also recommends rest from working out for 48 hours.  It happened on Saturday so it's been that long already.  I guess I'll give it more time with just walking and hope it doesn't really take that long to heal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1449 on: June 16, 2020, 04:40:07 PM »

Done it 3 times in the past.  For me, it hurt like hell and took quite a few weeks to fully heal.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1450 on: June 16, 2020, 06:30:21 PM »
Joined a gym yesterday and had my first workout in ages. I was walking around the gym trying to look like I knew what I was doing, which I didn't.  :lol It so funny how there's always the people flexing themself infront of the mirror while working out, being so in love with themself. It's so out of my comfort zone I guess.
Atleast I did something since I was really sore this morning.

Anyway on friday I will meet a trainer that will help me out. I feel pretty good about getting started again.

I miss going to the gym. :(

Gold's Gym closed down in our area due to COVID and our memberships were sold to Club Fitness, which I then cancelled.  A big allure of the gym for me is the pool, and I don't think any of the Club Fitness's in our area have pools. And I doubt they would open them up anyway any time soon, regardless.  I don't really care about lifting weights anymore, after lifting 3-5 days a week for 15 years, but I still like to go and do some swimming or a little cardio.  Plus, as American gets unhealthier by the year, it actually gives me a nice feeling to go to the gym and see a lot of people who still care about exercising and trying to look good. :hat

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1451 on: June 16, 2020, 08:41:38 PM »

Done it 3 times in the past.  For me, it hurt like hell and took quite a few weeks to fully heal.

I'll count myself lucky that it doesn't hurt that bad in my case.  Now the trick is going to not letting myself make excuses once it's time to get back at it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1452 on: June 17, 2020, 05:15:24 AM »

I'll count myself lucky that it doesn't hurt that bad in my case.  Now the trick is going to not letting myself make excuses once it's time to get back at it.

It's annoying but just work around it.  Easy enough to do if it's not that bad.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1453 on: June 19, 2020, 11:18:25 AM »
After I had been jogging a mile a day for a while, my knees started to not like it very much.  (not surpising considering I'm such a big guy)  I was really hoping that wouldn't happen.  I had to stop because of this but still want to keep exercising.

I was thinking of getting an excercise bike.  Do any of you have any recomendations?

Also, I've been eating a lot more salads lately and I'm loving them!  I never used to like salads very much but I sure do like them now.  I need to ask my wife to stop making so much pasta though, that certainly isn't helping.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1454 on: June 19, 2020, 03:26:49 PM »
I recommend a really thorough stretching and rolling session mate, do it frequently too.  Could simply be your quads or something are tight.

Salads are great.  Don't go near the pasta salads though and watch your dressings.  Go for a balsamic vinegar type over any ranch or cream based dressings.  You would be astounded by the calorie content of those.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1455 on: June 21, 2020, 05:29:29 AM »
Did a 16km run today. (9.94 miles)  Time was 1 hour, 32 minutes and 33 seconds.  Slow but my 12km time was 1:08:32, so the 12km was better than last week, so my pace is slowly picking up over long distances.  Was amazing.  I'm becoming absolutely addicted to running.

I timed my times at 8km, 12km and 16km.  My 16km time today was 1 hour 31 minutes and 12 seconds, so I beat that time at least.

Only a 16km run today.  Did around 28km on the treadmill through the week so after the 21km last Sunday, by today, my legs were sore as hell.  Speaking of new shoes, I need a new pair.  Felt like I was running barefoot.

Nevertheless, my 16km time today was 1 hour 29 minutes and 19 seconds so just shy of 2 minutes faster then last week.  Very happy with that.

16km time today was 1 hour 28 minutes and 28 seconds.  Not bad.  I've had a big week and have a lot less sleep with work operating again from Saturday morning so solid enough. With my Sunday runs I'm doing around 45km running a week. Eating so much ice cream, chocolate, donuts, Maccas on the weekends and still losing weight.  It's crazy.

Another 16km run this morning with a time of 1 hour 24 minutes and 54 seconds.  Demolished last weeks time by 3 and a half minutes.  Works out about 8 and a half minutes a mile which is slow but that's about 5 minutes 20 seconds per km which is definitely on the up, especially for that distance.

Been getting up at 5:30am and doing 6km road runs in the morning around the block before work.  Been brutal but the road running obviously much more beneficial than the treadmill.  Been able to lift in the gym every week day too with short quick 45 minute sessions. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: June 21, 2020, 05:53:08 AM »
Impressive Kade  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: June 21, 2020, 11:04:52 AM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: June 21, 2020, 12:28:32 PM »
Kickass, Kade!

Didn't get any cardio in this past week for one reason or another; tried yesterday but heavy rains kicked in. Hoping it isn't raining in a couple hours so I can get something in today.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1459 on: June 21, 2020, 04:11:55 PM »
I'm addicted I think.  About to go to work and annoyed I didn't get up this morning but didn't plan on running as my legs are definitely feeling it this morning.  Will smash out a quick couple of km this arvo in the gym.

Did 41km all up last week.  Wanna aim for 50km this week.....somehow.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: June 21, 2020, 05:38:30 PM »
Kade Gump  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: June 21, 2020, 07:30:14 PM »
Kade Gump  :metal

lol.  I'll take that as a compliant.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: June 22, 2020, 06:00:32 AM »
Coming up on the final week of my 90-day 'max shred' program (which due to a handful of reasons has been more like 120 days  :lol).  I'd hardly say that I'm shredded, but do definitely see improvements on the weights I'm moving around, but more importantly, in the mirror.  With the weather getting better - holy mother of god has it been hot here lately (though, not Australia-summer hot ... 32C + lately), I'm gonna try and do some more HIIT outside to get a quality sweat going.  Come the fall and cooler weather, I'm gonna tackle the 'max-size' program, which is a lot of German volume training.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: June 22, 2020, 03:19:21 PM »
German volume training? Lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1465 on: June 22, 2020, 03:22:06 PM »
He's consuming a lot of bratwurst, dontcha know :heybaby:

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1466 on: June 22, 2020, 03:52:50 PM »

Lots and lots and lots of sets. I did some of this way back in high school. I did one of Arnie's plans. Some exercises were 10 sets at 3-4reps each, and always to failure (i.e. heaviest possible weight i could lift for those 3 reps)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1467 on: June 22, 2020, 04:23:29 PM »

Lots and lots and lots of sets. I did some of this way back in high school. I did one of Arnie's plans. Some exercises were 10 sets at 3-4reps each, and always to failure (i.e. heaviest possible weight i could lift for those 3 reps)

Ah ok.  I gathered what it was, just made me laugh.

I like the lower rep range.  I always mainly lift in the 4-5 rep range with heavier weights.  Always found it much more beneficial ghan the 8-10 rep stuff.  For me anyway.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1468 on: June 22, 2020, 04:38:05 PM »
I did a program recently that flipped every 2 weeks between low rep and high rep. It was actually pretty damn effective

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: June 22, 2020, 07:54:54 PM »
I did a program recently that flipped every 2 weeks between low rep and high rep. It was actually pretty damn effective

I guess the constant changing it up would have kept your body constantly guessing.