Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192774 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. How's it goin this week?
« Reply #1400 on: May 31, 2020, 06:50:05 AM »
I did a shit-ton of work outside yesterday, including hauling about 1.5 yards of river rock.  Mother of god am I sore... especially my right outer-thigh (IT band I assume).  Mostly right at hip-socket connection.

Still got another 1/2 yard of that shit, as well as 3 yards of crushed stone!   :omg:  Weather is looking pretty decent today, so I'm fairly certain I'm gonna need a wheelchair for the rest of the week.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1401 on: May 31, 2020, 07:41:01 PM »
Went out this morning and did a 21km run. (13 miles)  Half marathon.  Time was 2 hours 1 minue and 53 seconds.  Would be nice to have gotten under 2 hours though.  What a cathartic 2 hours though.

God damn, is that all running? How long can you go before you have to stop and walk? That's crazy!

And thanks, Kade - today I moved my running to the nearby pond, and managed to run the entire bike path in a single go. My Samsung Health app tells me I ran .23 miles, but when I walk the exact same distance, I calculate .3-.35 miles, so I dunno. Either way, that's about one lap at the track, and for some reason it doesn't feel as intimidating out on the bike path as it does on the track. Not sure why, but I feel good. Ran a total of a mile this evening and got my 10k steps in. Fuck yeah.

Chad, how you feeling today?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1402 on: May 31, 2020, 08:45:24 PM »
Achy as shit. Hauled another 30-40 wheel barrels worth today. Still got 2 more yards to go tomorrow night. Not sure I’ll need to do my program routines this week.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: May 31, 2020, 11:13:12 PM »
Went out this morning and did a 21km run. (13 miles)  Half marathon.  Time was 2 hours 1 minue and 53 seconds.  Would be nice to have gotten under 2 hours though.  What a cathartic 2 hours though.

God damn, is that all running? How long can you go before you have to stop and walk? That's crazy!

And thanks, Kade - today I moved my running to the nearby pond, and managed to run the entire bike path in a single go. My Samsung Health app tells me I ran .23 miles, but when I walk the exact same distance, I calculate .3-.35 miles, so I dunno. Either way, that's about one lap at the track, and for some reason it doesn't feel as intimidating out on the bike path as it does on the track. Not sure why, but I feel good. Ran a total of a mile this evening and got my 10k steps in. Fuck yeah.

Yeah all running mate, no stops at all.  I'm not that fast but maintained a decent speed.  Googling speed, if you run a half marathon in 2 hours flat, that's 9 minutes and 9 seconds per mile.  Add a couple of seconds for the extra 2 minutes I did it in.  On a treadmill doing say a shorter run (3km-5km) I'd do a mile in about 8 minutes or a little less.  I'm going okay.  Legs are pretty stiff today but not as bad as I thought.  Keen to do another short run today.

Yeah, keep it up mate.  When I started, I couldn't run 200metres without feeling like dying.  Everyday, I just did a little bit more.  I never ever tried to get ahead of myself.  It took a long long time but happy with where I am now and am loving it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1404 on: May 31, 2020, 11:41:05 PM »

Yeah all running mate, no stops at all.  I'm not that fast but maintained a decent speed.  Googling speed, if you run a half marathon in 2 hours flat, that's 9 minutes and 9 seconds per mile.  Add a couple of seconds for the extra 2 minutes I did it in.  On a treadmill doing say a shorter run (3km-5km) I'd do a mile in about 8 minutes or a little less.  I'm going okay.  Legs are pretty stiff today but not as bad as I thought.  Keen to do another short run today.

Yeah, keep it up mate.  When I started, I couldn't run 200metres without feeling like dying.  Everyday, I just did a little bit more.  I never ever tried to get ahead of myself.  It took a long long time but happy with where I am now and am loving it.

Goddamn that is a good run! :metal

I'm doing a run around my city every summer and that is roughly 35 km. My best time is 4H 40Min. Hoping to get that down to 4 & 1/2 hours this summer. Winters here are so bad that my running hobby takes a hit every year, I hate running on a treadmill. :tdwn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: May 31, 2020, 11:56:15 PM »

Goddamn that is a good run! :metal

I'm doing a run around my city every summer and that is roughly 35 km. My best time is 4H 40Min. Hoping to get that down to 4 & 1/2 hours this summer. Winters here are so bad that my running hobby takes a hit every year, I hate running on a treadmill. :tdwn

Thanks mate.

35km, with that distance, I'd be tempted to do 6 more for the full marathon haha.  That's a solid enough time.  Not many people could last 35km.

I don't mind the treadmil but it's definitely so much more mentally tough watching that distance creep up.  No way I could have done the run I did yesterday on a treadmill.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1406 on: June 01, 2020, 06:58:26 PM »
I envy you big time, Kade. That's freaking awesome. I spent so many years on the treadmills at the gym trying to fool myself into thinking it was just as good if not better than running outside, but now I can see how wrong I was. I can't wait to get my stamina up to the point where I can go for long runs without stopping.

Started taking a multivitamin and a magnesium supplement to help my chest discomfort/anxiety through caffeine withdrawal. They're actually working. I think soon I'll put bodyweight exercises back into the mix. I'm hitting this lifestyle change hard man. Feel like I'm going Joe Rogan on it  :lol I've even returned to reading books now because my diet and the running makes me feel good and not lazy when I'm sitting at home.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1407 on: June 01, 2020, 07:20:10 PM »
I envy you big time, Kade. That's freaking awesome. I spent so many years on the treadmills at the gym trying to fool myself into thinking it was just as good if not better than running outside, but now I can see how wrong I was. I can't wait to get my stamina up to the point where I can go for long runs without stopping.

Started taking a multivitamin and a magnesium supplement to help my chest discomfort/anxiety through caffeine withdrawal. They're actually working. I think soon I'll put bodyweight exercises back into the mix. I'm hitting this lifestyle change hard man. Feel like I'm going Joe Rogan on it  :lol I've even returned to reading books now because my diet and the running makes me feel good and not lazy when I'm sitting at home.

When you get a sniff of something mate, you find that drive and motivation to keep going and the WANT to get better.  When you look forward to bettering yourself on a goal everyday, it makes it all somewhat easy and enjoyable.

I'm hard on myself, but the last month or so, I can really say I'm proud of how my fitness has come along.  I don't say that often.  It's amazing what a bit of determination and a strong mindset can do.  I started on the treadmill too and am starting to realise now how much better running outside is.  I mean, I did a 5km run last night on the treadmill and while I enjoyed it, it's so much harder and feels so much longer than doing a 5km outside.

Also, I went off multivitamins for a while but I've also brought them back in but in a dissolvable form.  Put them in water and makes for like a fizzy orange drink.  I'm finding them way better than tablets personally.

Keep it up Michael.  :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1408 on: June 02, 2020, 08:51:41 AM »
 :tup :tup

I'm obsessed with running shoes. Back in 2014 or 2015 I started buying the Brooks brand. For years I stuck with the GTS Adrenaline series which have always felt great. In 2018 I picked up a pair of Ghost 11s, black/white/orange and they still pop. I'm looking at buying a new pair today but I can't decide between the Adrenaline 20s and Ghost 12s. Both shoes feel wonderful, I can't feel much of a difference between them, so it's really just down to color choice. Thinking about picking up a nice simple white/black pair. I can't get the orange style I have now because they're all sold out in my size :(

EDIT: Eureka! Bit the bullet on these gorgeous Ghost 12s.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 09:21:07 AM by Kattelox »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1409 on: June 02, 2020, 03:19:06 PM »
Nice looking shoe mate.  I've had Brooks in the past and they have been great.

I'm a Asics Kayano man myself at the moment.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1410 on: June 02, 2020, 04:24:55 PM »

Keyano's were my go to back in my running days. Basically the Cadillac of running shoes, if you ask me

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1411 on: June 02, 2020, 05:25:45 PM »

I find ASICS to be the most comfortable shoe

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1412 on: June 02, 2020, 06:01:58 PM »
I Google imaged those Kayanos. Those are sharp!!

Got my best friend joining me out on the track now too. He used to be a huge smoker but seems like he's given it up recently. Did some running tonight with him. Gonna make him sweat :2metal:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1413 on: June 02, 2020, 08:01:04 PM »

Keyano's were my go to back in my running days. Basically the Cadillac of running shoes, if you ask me

Yes.  Expensive but top tier.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1414 on: June 06, 2020, 08:27:48 AM »
I've always known you can get sunburn through your clothes but I think this is the first time I've experienced it. There's no mark of irritation on my lower left back, but it feels similar to a sunburn. I thought it was a muscle strain yesterday (overly tight muscles in my hams and elsewhere) but it doesn't feel much like that. Regardless, I just ordered a quality foam roller, and am going to be more liberal with the sunscreen when I go out. New shoes arrived yesterday and they are comfy. But when I went out to run, the track had the sprinklers on. First time I've ever seen them on, even when I was in high school  :lol Gonna be a good day today.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1415 on: June 06, 2020, 07:38:50 PM »
There we go. Full mile locked in, 4 laps each without stopping - other than walking a lap between each, mind. So proud of myself. Got me a Ninja blender today and a TON of fruits and vegetables, mostly for smoothies. I wanna stay like this and look great when I see so many friends at progpower next year. I don't like the way I look in most photos from there although iPhones don't make me look as ugly.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1416 on: June 06, 2020, 09:44:47 PM »
For what it's worth, of the many thoughts I had over ProgPower weekend, "man, Katt's been eating too much frozen pizza" was not one of them.

Nonetheless - yay for fruits and vegetables.  I've been trying to eat more myself.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1417 on: June 06, 2020, 09:54:50 PM »
For what it's worth, of the many thoughts I had over ProgPower weekend, "man, Katt's been eating too much frozen pizza" was not one of them.

Nonetheless - yay for fruits and vegetables.  I've been trying to eat more myself.

:lol :lol Well, not like I was fat or anything, but I didn't reach my fitness/weight goals by that weekend, so I was disappointed, personally. I just broke in the blender and made an awesome smoothie out of a bunch of fruits (and a carrot). Yummy stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1418 on: June 07, 2020, 05:07:04 AM »

For what it's worth, you didn't room with him.   :lol

jk man, that's awesome stuff you just posted  :tup.  Looks like we got ourselves a little competition the MJ.  Next year's PP will be 3 months before my 50th, which is my goal time-frame.  Originally the goal was 'to be in the best shape of my life'.  Well, truth be told, I've already achieved that.  So, I have to set some more objective goals.

Didn't do my program at all this week, but I was super active.  Hauled 5 yards of rock and did a bunch of yard-work.  Got another 3 yards of rock delivered yesterday, and got about 1/2 of it laid where it needed to go.  Gotta finish off the rest today.  Back at my routine starting tomorrow.  Weigh-in today was just fine, pretty much flat week-over-week.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1419 on: June 07, 2020, 05:10:30 AM »
There we go. Full mile locked in, 4 laps each without stopping - other than walking a lap between each, mind. So proud of myself. Got me a Ninja blender today and a TON of fruits and vegetables, mostly for smoothies. I wanna stay like this and look great when I see so many friends at progpower next year. I don't like the way I look in most photos from there although iPhones don't make me look as ugly.

Massive achievement mate, really well done.  Keep it going.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1420 on: June 07, 2020, 05:18:36 AM »
Did a 16km run today. (9.94 miles)  Time was 1 hour, 32 minutes and 33 seconds.  Slow but my 12km time was 1:08:32, so the 12km was better than last week, so my pace is slowly picking up over long distances.  Was amazing.  I'm becoming absolutely addicted to running.

I timed my times at 8km, 12km and 16km.  My 16km time today was 1 hour 31 minutes and 12 seconds, so I beat that time at least.

Only a 16km run today.  Did around 28km on the treadmill through the week so after the 21km last Sunday, by today, my legs were sore as hell.  Speaking of new shoes, I need a new pair.  Felt like I was running barefoot.

Nevertheless, my 16km time today was 1 hour 29 minutes and 19 seconds so just shy of 2 minutes faster then last week.  Very happy with that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1421 on: June 07, 2020, 05:46:27 AM »
Did a 16km run today. (9.94 miles)  Time was 1 hour, 32 minutes and 33 seconds.  Slow but my 12km time was 1:08:32, so the 12km was better than last week, so my pace is slowly picking up over long distances.  Was amazing.  I'm becoming absolutely addicted to running.

I timed my times at 8km, 12km and 16km.  My 16km time today was 1 hour 31 minutes and 12 seconds, so I beat that time at least.

Only a 16km run today.  Did around 28km on the treadmill through the week so after the 21km last Sunday, by today, my legs were sore as hell.  Speaking of new shoes, I need a new pair.  Felt like I was running barefoot.

Nevertheless, my 16km time today was 1 hour 29 minutes and 19 seconds so just shy of 2 minutes faster then last week.  Very happy with that.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: June 07, 2020, 06:57:09 AM »
Game on, Chad. It's on like Donkey Kong.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1423 on: June 07, 2020, 11:21:44 AM »

For what it's worth, you didn't room with him.   :lol

jk man, that's awesome stuff you just posted  :tup.  Looks like we got ourselves a little competition the MJ.  Next year's PP will be 3 months before my 50th, which is my goal time-frame.  Originally the goal was 'to be in the best shape of my life'.  Well, truth be told, I've already achieved that.  So, I have to set some more objective goals.

Does this mean you are in for PP 2021? I hope to be in the best shape of my life as well by then, we got bought an extra year to work on that  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1424 on: June 07, 2020, 07:46:49 PM »
No promises.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1425 on: June 10, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »
In just a few days I have become a smoothie makin' machine. Delicious, nutritious, and filling. Usually make a fruit smoothie for lunch and then a veggie-based one for dinner. Now I know what to buy regularly at the store. Unfortunately not much cardio this week. First I got caught up being busy, then there was a storm last night, now I have a friend's cookout to visit. Oh well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1426 on: June 10, 2020, 05:05:21 PM »
In just a few days I have become a smoothie makin' machine. Delicious, nutritious, and filling. Usually make a fruit smoothie for lunch and then a veggie-based one for dinner. Now I know what to buy regularly at the store. Unfortunately not much cardio this week. First I got caught up being busy, then there was a storm last night, now I have a friend's cookout to visit. Oh well.

I really like fruit smoothies.  I havent done them part of my routine at all this time around, but in the past I've used a fruit smoothie to replace lunch after a work out or similar.  I however have never had a veggie smoothie.  The thought really doesn't interest me, but maybe I'm missing something since I haven't actually tried it.  What's your veggie smoothie and do you enjoy it?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1427 on: June 10, 2020, 07:38:07 PM »

I really like fruit smoothies.  I havent done them part of my routine at all this time around, but in the past I've used a fruit smoothie to replace lunch after a work out or similar.  I however have never had a veggie smoothie.  The thought really doesn't interest me, but maybe I'm missing something since I haven't actually tried it.  What's your veggie smoothie and do you enjoy it?

Well, I'm still trial-and-erroring recipes because I'm just eyeballing what I'm putting in there, so I don't have a go-to yet. But today I tossed in a big handful of spinach, 2 carrots, an avocado, a cup of almond milk, and a drizzle of honey. The other night I replaced the avocado with a large banana (no honey, the banana added enough sweetness on its own). Delicious! I think I'd like to add some ground flax seed next time, though. If I'm really hungry I've found adding some plain Greek yogurt does the trick nicely.

Haven't made one I dislike (yet), but the best thing I've made so far is a simple strawberry-banana-blueberry smoothie with almond milk and a spoonful of Greek yogurt. YUM. The veggie one is trickier because the fruits taste better :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1428 on: June 10, 2020, 08:17:40 PM »
Combining them is the way to go. :) Like you did when you added the banana.  Adding spinach to the strawberry banana one probably wouldn't change the taste much at all.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: June 10, 2020, 08:26:33 PM »
Combining them is the way to go. :) Like you did when you added the banana.  Adding spinach to the strawberry banana one probably wouldn't change the taste much at all.

I thought about that - I think I'm going to do that with most smoothies, the spinach will be a staple. The banana is really good too, but those are the ones I have to watch because they're so sweet. I've also made one with raspberries, and one with a peach and a nectarine. It's a really nice blender so I'm having a lot of fun with it :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: June 10, 2020, 11:13:03 PM »

Well, I'm still trial-and-erroring recipes because I'm just eyeballing what I'm putting in there, so I don't have a go-to yet. But today I tossed in a big handful of spinach, 2 carrots, an avocado, a cup of almond milk, and a drizzle of honey. The other night I replaced the avocado with a large banana (no honey, the banana added enough sweetness on its own). Delicious! I think I'd like to add some ground flax seed next time, though. If I'm really hungry I've found adding some plain Greek yogurt does the trick nicely.

Haven't made one I dislike (yet), but the best thing I've made so far is a simple strawberry-banana-blueberry smoothie with almond milk and a spoonful of Greek yogurt. YUM. The veggie one is trickier because the fruits taste better :)

Mate, I would suggest to get onto some protein powders to add to your smoothies.  I drink protein shakes like water and a nice vanilla one or even banana flavoured would work a treat I reckon.  With the more exercise you are doing, you should look at upping your protein intake.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1431 on: June 10, 2020, 11:14:30 PM »
Did a 4km run last night in new runners.  Holy hell, the difference is unreal.  I've been running in year old shoes and running in a new set of Kayanos makes the old ones feel like I'm running barefoot.  Going to have to stop being so cheap and upgrade them when it's time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1432 on: June 11, 2020, 04:55:45 AM »
Gonna try to hit a workout of some sort today.  Hauling rock last week was the only workout I did - and it was plenty sufficient.  I got lazy af and didn't do anything Monday / Tuesday this week, and then yesterday ... well yesterday sucked (for those that didn't see it in the GD chat, my father passed away unexpectedly).  I've fucked off from work until Monday, so I've got the time to do it - jut gotta get my mind focused on it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1433 on: June 11, 2020, 05:45:29 AM »
I've been walking upwards of 6-7 miles a day lately and using weights during conference calls. I've been going bored out of my mind and taking the dog out three good walks a day. I was wondering about something this morning... From a calorie burning perspective, does it make a difference whether you walk six miles in one shot or or three sessions of two miles a piece? I was trying to compare it to the way an engine consumes fuel, and then quickly realized that's a silly comparison.   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1434 on: June 11, 2020, 06:21:18 AM »
From a calorie burning perspective, does it make a difference whether you walk six miles in one shot or or three sessions of two miles a piece? I was trying to compare it to the way an engine consumes fuel, and then quickly realized that's a silly comparison.

If you are doing a gentle leisurely walk for the whole 6-7 miles and your heart rate stays at a consistent level, then no, splitting them up wouldn't make any noticeable difference.  If you did a 6-7 mile walk and halfway through it becomes harder and your heartrate increases then you'd burn a few more cause the longer you go, the harder you would have to work.

At the end of the day, it wouldn't make a huge difference, as long as you do it the miles, that's the main thing.  Do what is most  convenient, but just get it done regardless.