Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 191827 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1260 on: April 29, 2020, 08:25:47 AM »
So, after 3 days of heartburn - and getting too cocky yesterday and feeling it again last night - I've gotta go Shaolin monk on my diet. I used to be pretty good but the last few months haven't been so great, and my diet isn't what it used to be.

Cutting out red meat, for the time being. Sticking to the usual favorites for protein that don't make me feel like a slob: eggs, tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey. I have a rice cooker that gets plenty of use; I need to figure out ways to spice that up. Throw in vegetables with the rice, use bouillon cubes to flavor up the rice, get back to cooking all the noodle-based dishes I loved to make for a quick lunch. Fruit is big; I eat apples and bananas regularly but I want to make a habit of keeping fruit around and trying fruit that I rarely eat or need to eat more often.

But, most pressing: because I'm a single 29 year-old dude, I really need to learn my foods. What the fuck do I do with bok choy? Radishes? RJ, help a helpless noob. Someone! :lol

YouTube is your friend.

Speaking of broth, my wife bought an Instant Pot which works like magic but we mostly use it for making bone broth. We have a meat market that we get our bones from and I won't ever go back to store bought broth.  :metal

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1261 on: April 29, 2020, 09:23:53 AM »
Well, I'm no food expert, but as far as radishes go, I just eat them.  I love radishes!
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1262 on: April 29, 2020, 09:27:09 AM »
RJ, help a helpless noob. Someone! :lol

Your first mistake is thinking RJ comes into this thread!   :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1263 on: April 29, 2020, 09:28:56 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol

You can just pop radishes and eat 'em? I'm so clueless with veggies outside of the basic noob choices: carrots, corn, lettuce, peas and green beans...

I wonder if Alton Brown has a 'food for dummies' series.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1264 on: April 29, 2020, 09:39:01 AM »

You can just pop radishes and eat 'em? I'm so clueless with veggies outside of the basic noob choices: carrots, corn, lettuce, peas and green beans...

Yeah, give 'em a try, they're good.  They are a little on the hot side, so just don't eat more than one at a time  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1265 on: April 29, 2020, 10:53:01 AM »
I can't give advice, I also am a basic veggie bitch. 

My diet/exercise regime has pretty much been the same.  I haven't gained and I haven't lost weight, but I've been working out hard and eating just as hard I guess.  I feel pretty good though, so that's most important because I feel I've gained a small amount of muscle in the process of eating and working hard, vs. the strict diet since I'm pretty close to my goal weight anyway.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: April 29, 2020, 02:54:36 PM »

Can't help you at all mate.  All my meals are a piece of meat with basic green beans and broccoli cooked in the microwave.  I HATE cooking so I eat basic as fuck.  I don't have a clue on how to prepare a radish lol.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: April 29, 2020, 03:07:21 PM »
I'm really hoping it's not a permanent change I'll have to make. I've never had heartburn before, just this one time, but 5 days later still having discomfort has me worried. Still, out of curiosity I think I'm gonna grab some radishes after work  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1268 on: April 29, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »

Can't help you at all mate.  All my meals are a piece of meat with basic green beans and broccoli cooked in the microwave.  I HATE cooking so I eat basic as fuck.  I don't have a clue on how to prepare a radish lol.

The great thing about a radish is you don't need to prepare them.  Just buy them and eat them raw, like carrots.  But I'm like you, when my wife met me 18 years ago, my cupboards and freezer with nothing but just add water and through in the microwave types of food.  She was insensed by how I ate and started cooking for me, and then I got fat :).

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1269 on: April 29, 2020, 03:17:49 PM »
I'm really hoping it's not a permanent change I'll have to make. I've never had heartburn before, just this one time, but 5 days later still having discomfort has me worried. Still, out of curiosity I think I'm gonna grab some radishes after work  :lol

:lol

Just make sure the ones you buy are FIRM.  A rubbery radish is no good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: April 29, 2020, 04:01:55 PM »

The great thing about a radish is you don't need to prepare them.  Just buy them and eat them raw, like carrots.  But I'm like you, when my wife met me 18 years ago, my cupboards and freezer with nothing but just add water and through in the microwave types of food.  She was insensed by how I ate and started cooking for me, and then I got fat :).

I was with you guys as well until almost a year ago and I started cooking more.  Started with really basic dishes and now I've been exploring more.  It's actually becoming a fun evening activity during all this stay at home stuff.  Cook a meal that's not necessarily basic (and I still make plenty of those meals).   What sucks though is the grocery stores are limiting how much chicken you can buy, I didn't realize and I had enough to last me another two months in my cart before I got in trouble (unknowingly, I must have missed the sign or something).  Chicken is definitely my go to protein and the options of cooking with it are limitless.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: April 29, 2020, 05:21:20 PM »
Marc, you and I started going down the exact opposite paths when you started dropping pounds!  :lol I fucking admire the work you've put in and it really shows how lazy I've become the last year or so, so I'm trying to get my head back in the cooking game and figuring out WTF the right choices are.

I just had a radish. I, uh. Hm. Not bad. Curious. Not really like an onion...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: April 29, 2020, 05:32:43 PM »
I'm not sure radish is the solution  :lol I really think it's a mindset of committing to something.  The cooking is more fun than a healthy thing for me right now, most of my dishes like the pizzas and shellception are terrible for me  :lol But there's something about focusing in on actually being active everyday even with all this shit going on.  I keep telling myself every night (even while stuffing my face) that I want to come out of this social distancing thing in the best shape of my life while many people come out in worse. 

Today I hardly worked out, went into work early and stayed later than expected, I did do 8k steps today which is proof of being busy at work and just a 15 minute bike ride afterwards.  Realized after I didn't even eat a single thing the entire day I was so busy.  So I made some chicken cutlets with green beans and sweet potatoes.   Super basic and easy and delicious.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: April 29, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »
That's awesome, man. I think I'm going to resume walking outside now that it's finally not freezing over here, and get back to running when I feel better. Really itching for that fresh air.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1274 on: April 29, 2020, 09:07:25 PM »
I don't know if radishes are the way to go if you have heartburn - but then, I only have anectodal evidence.  My dad loves radishes but eats them sparingly because he says they give him heartburn.

As far as veggies go - some pretty standard ones that you didn't put on your list are broccoli, cauliflower, spinach.  Zucchini and yellow squash too.

For less standard ones, and I'm not an expert and certainly not much of a cook, I like beets.  You can eat the red part - I like to steam them and just eat them that way, no need to add anything.  And you can eat the greens too, just like spinach or something.  (And you can eat the stalks, but I don't always).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: April 29, 2020, 09:11:39 PM »
Ya'll, the radishes and heartburn aren't connected, I was just curious about radishes  :rollin although I would like to eventually incorporate a wider variety of veggies into my diet  :lol

Broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, I eat all those like a fiend, yeah. Asparagus, too. But beets - I'll be honest, I felt like a little kid reading you describe them. "Yuck!'  :) Might have to look into them...

While we're discussing it, are there any vegetables that make any of ya'll sick? Cabbage for me. Every time I've had it throughout my life I get really sick afterwards. Not sure why.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1276 on: April 29, 2020, 09:14:55 PM »
Oh no - I didn't think you were eating radishes to cure heartburn.  :)  I took it as you were interested in other veggies.  But just wanted to pass along the heartburn thing from my dad in case it's a common thing - if you're having heartburn right now you might not want to eat a bunch of them.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: April 29, 2020, 09:16:03 PM »
Yeah, actually I felt a little discomfort for a while after eating it. Oops. I fixed that with graham crackers. Tonight, they've been my hero. :)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: April 30, 2020, 12:06:12 AM »
Michael, I may have missed it if you mentioned it, but have you changed anything in your diet that could attribute to the heartburn? 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: April 30, 2020, 05:11:52 AM »
Michael, I may have missed it if you mentioned it, but have you changed anything in your diet that could attribute to the heartburn?

Yeah, the 6 liquor shots and beers on an empty stomach Friday night. Been battling heartburn since.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1280 on: April 30, 2020, 07:19:51 AM »
Marc, you and I started going down the exact opposite paths when you started dropping pounds!  :lol I fucking admire the work you've put in and it really shows how lazy I've become the last year or so, so I'm trying to get my head back in the cooking game and figuring out WTF the right choices are.

I just had a radish. I, uh. Hm. Not bad. Curious. Not really like an onion...

Yep not like an onion.  Through all this radish business, I sort of feel like the character "Sam I Am" from Dr. Suess'" Green Eggs and Ham.  Try those radishes, you'll like them with a fox, in a box, with a mouse, in a house, on a train, in a tree, try them try them, you will see!  :lol

After this whole discussion, I went to my wife and asked her if she would buy some radishes next time she goes shopping.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: April 30, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »

Yeah, the 6 liquor shots and beers on an empty stomach Friday night. Been battling heartburn since.

Oh dear lol.  It should pass then mate you would think.  Your stomach is probably still recovering from that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: April 30, 2020, 03:18:07 PM »

Oh dear lol.  It should pass then mate you would think.  Your stomach is probably still recovering from that.

That's pretty bad if it's a week of recovery from one night of heavy drinking, but its possible I'd imagine.  15 miles on the bike today, 200 decline sit ups and my abs are already feeling sore  :metal  Almost time for my favorite part of the day, cooking a fun meal.  Going to make some orange chicken with Asian veggies and brown rice.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: April 30, 2020, 03:54:14 PM »
Yeah, up until today it felt like I dropped a god damn nuclear warhead inside my stomach. Today no pain or discomfort. Took some fiber to help the digestion and voila, I feel 99% normal again. I'm gonna take a chance and cook up some chicken breasts tonight to make a nice salad, that should be delicious. Sounds like you're in for a delicious dinner, Marc!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1284 on: April 30, 2020, 04:12:48 PM »
Yea, it's my first time so might suck, but we will see.  The girl I've been dating is half thai and has been helping me with learning to cook and also supplying me with lots of asian seasonings / sauces.

Also, glad to see you are finally recovering, must have been one hell of a night  :yarr

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: April 30, 2020, 09:10:32 PM »
Orange chicken?  What the hell?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: May 01, 2020, 05:03:26 AM »
Orange chicken?  What the hell?

Panda Express has made this a pretty popular dish in The States. It's basically sweet & sour chicken, but with no pineapple and lots of orange juice and orange zest. It's actually quite tasty.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: May 01, 2020, 05:41:49 AM »
Sounds......interesting.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1288 on: May 01, 2020, 05:49:33 AM »
Huh, I must have gotten into the wrong thread. Anyone know where the exercise thread is?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: May 01, 2020, 06:31:56 AM »
I figured this thread could also be the dietary discussion thread since it ties in with fitness... fitness burger in my mouth :neverusethis:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1290 on: May 01, 2020, 06:35:21 AM »
Give us a list of veg you're curious about and we'll tell you our fave prep method, but personally there is nothing I like more than just chopping *whatever* kinda finely and throwing it in the pan and putting some oyster sauce in at the end. Pre-made frozen veg mixes are also great, they did all the prep for you, you just gotta follow the instructions.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: May 01, 2020, 06:57:47 AM »
Give us a list of veg you're curious about and we'll tell you our fave prep method, but personally there is nothing I like more than just chopping *whatever* kinda finely and throwing it in the pan and putting some oyster sauce in at the end. Pre-made frozen veg mixes are also great, they did all the prep for you, you just gotta follow the instructions.

Yeah, this is what I also do now.

I used to get fresh broccoli and green beans and now I can't get them due to the lockdown (the shop is too far away from my home and I would usually hit it after work, can't do it now as I work from home) and I've been buying the frozen ones and while fresh broccoli is way better, there's little to no difference with green beans. Been eating them regularly for the past few weeks.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1292 on: May 01, 2020, 07:23:49 AM »
I'm generally a veggies raw guy.  Cooking vegies generally ruins the texture and taste for me.  The only exceptions i make are peas and corn.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1293 on: May 01, 2020, 07:30:34 AM »
Did my month 2 fitness challenge yesterday.  Not a lot of progress or reduction in time (virtually flat), but damn it's a brutal workout):

240 jump squats (half range)
160 spider-man pushups
260 running luges (each lunge = 1)
140 horizontal pullups

Total exericise time was just over 22 mins; total workout was about 36 minutes.

My forearm strength sucks.  I think my back could handle more pullups, but my arms can't.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: May 01, 2020, 08:32:41 AM »
Way to go, Chad!!

So all the basic ones that you can buy pre-frozen in mixed or standalone bags I'm familiar with; cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli, peas carrots etc. I guess I'm more interested in trying to make the vegetable game interesting beyond those basic, boring choices. Turnips? Radishes? Beets, as Lethean mentioned? Sweet potatoes I love but I know nothing about preparing them. WTF is a zucchini? Can I use artichokes for anything besides delicious spinach-artichoke dip? Grown Man Seeks Vegetable Advice. Gonna do that good ol' YouTube research now, actually. This is so sad. :lol