Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 189022 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1225 on: April 13, 2020, 11:51:04 PM »
This death by pullup thing, surely you can just start on 5 or something.  I mean, 1 in 1 minute, then 2 from the next minute.  The first few rounds just seems like wasting time.  Unless I'm missing something.

Just do it boys. That minute will catch up with you fast enough.

What do I do in the first minute when I've done 1 pullup with 58 seconds to go?

:lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1226 on: April 14, 2020, 12:28:25 AM »
l scale them sometimes for exercises like squats ot pushups where i can do 25  or more in a single set. Those i might start at 10. Burpees i would start at 5, pull ups 1 or 3 if I'm doing it as part of a larger workout. If you can "only" do 10 pull ups in a set, then you'll barely last 4 or 5 minutes starting on 5.

Nah, I'm sweet.  I may start on 5, depending on when in the workout I try it.

You can rest and pump out a few more can't you if you fatigue around the 30 second mark for example?  I know that means you'll be fucked for the next minute but at least you can keep pushing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1227 on: April 14, 2020, 07:19:00 AM »
l scale them sometimes for exercises like squats ot pushups where i can do 25  or more in a single set. Those i might start at 10. Burpees i would start at 5, pull ups 1 or 3 if I'm doing it as part of a larger workout. If you can "only" do 10 pull ups in a set, then you'll barely last 4 or 5 minutes starting on 5.

Precisely.

@ Kade... Wait it out man, just wait it out.  Like I said, by the 4th or 5th minute, it'll catch up with you.  These 'death-by' style of sets start out easy-peasy, but the finish deadly.  Patience young Padawan.  Don't be in such a rush to be "killed".  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: April 14, 2020, 07:29:53 PM »

Precisely.

@ Kade... Wait it out man, just wait it out.  Like I said, by the 4th or 5th minute, it'll catch up with you.  These 'death-by' style of sets start out easy-peasy, but the finish deadly.  Patience young Padawan.  Don't be in such a rush to be "killed".  :lol

With how quiet work is and everything going on, my training has gone through the roof.  It's like I'm literally trying to 'kill' myself with how hard I've been going.  It's been incredible.  :lol

I'll try this pull up thing this afternoon or maybe tomorrow.  I wonder if you are allowed to change the grip up.  I may start at 1 then and make sure form is strict and see how I go.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: April 14, 2020, 07:39:56 PM »
I知 interested to see what Kade thinks of this

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: April 14, 2020, 07:59:04 PM »
I’m interested to see what Kade thinks of this

Pressure is on!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1231 on: April 14, 2020, 08:44:25 PM »
I alternate grips. At 195lbs, I'm lucky to be able to do pull ups at all

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: April 14, 2020, 08:49:07 PM »
I alternate grips. At 195lbs, I'm lucky to be able to do pull ups at all

Alternating grips will allow me to be able to do a lot more.

I'd love to be that weight with the body fat I am now.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: April 14, 2020, 08:49:29 PM »
Do what Shredder did - a threesome of Death-By rounds. That値l finish ya fo sho. I知 itching to do that, and might give it a go after I finish month 2 of my current program (just started week 6 today). Killer leg day, including 10 total minutes of mountain climbers. My hips are feeling it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: April 14, 2020, 08:52:16 PM »
Do what Shredder did - a threesome of Death-By rounds. That値l finish ya fo sho. I知 itching to do that, and might give it a go after I finish month 2 of my current program (just started week 6 today). Killer leg day, including 10 total minutes of mountain climbers. My hips are feeling it.

Threesome you say, I'm in!

Fuck Mountain Climbers.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: April 14, 2020, 09:00:56 PM »

Only if Kip is one of the other two though! Amirite?!?!?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1236 on: April 14, 2020, 09:31:06 PM »

Only if Kip is one of the other two though! Amirite?!?!?

Yes, you are right.  You know you are right.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1237 on: April 14, 2020, 10:00:09 PM »

I'm sitting around 9-10% BF. Although i haven't had any accurate measuring for about 3 months, so that's just an estimate. For the last 2 years now I've been doing body re-composition, whereby i try to maintain my weight between 193-200 while still losing body fat. It's why i do mostly HIIT or CrossFit style strength sessions. Two birds, as they say. I've shed 6% in that time while maintaining my muscle mass.

It's a touch ironic that my goal of maintaining a muscular physique is contradictory to performing in my primary sport, cycling. I would be noticeably faster if i just let my weight drop 10 or 15 lbs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: April 15, 2020, 04:35:43 AM »
How tall are you Shredder?

I'm sitting at low 180s (@ 6'2") and the BMI scale I use reads 14.5%(ish) BF.  My goal is to get to 10% by my 50th birthday, but it's been slow going.  9lbs of BF doesn't sound like a lot, but fuck if it isn't stubborn as hell.  I know I'm not strict enough with my diet... but I still have 19 months to get to where I want to be.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: April 15, 2020, 05:30:11 AM »

I'm sitting around 9-10% BF. Although i haven't had any accurate measuring for about 3 months, so that's just an estimate. For the last 2 years now I've been doing body re-composition, whereby i try to maintain my weight between 193-200 while still losing body fat. It's why i do mostly HIIT or CrossFit style strength sessions. Two birds, as they say. I've shed 6% in that time while maintaining my muscle mass.

It's a touch ironic that my goal of maintaining a muscular physique is contradictory to performing in my primary sport, cycling. I would be noticeably faster if i just let my weight drop 10 or 15 lbs.

What do your calories and macros look like mate?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1240 on: April 15, 2020, 06:53:59 AM »
I'm 5"9.

My target net calories per day is 2100, and i eat back almost all exercise calories. Since i workout so often my average calories per day over a month usually works out to be in the 2500-2900 range. It's way higher on days i do long rides where I'm burning 2500 or more calories. On non-exercise days i have to really stick to the nutrition or just end up gaining weight. It's basically like doing cut/bulk at the same time.

Macros are 40/25/35, carb-fat-protein. I've tinkered with the ratio of the last few years, and 40% carbs is as low as i can go without suffering on my endurance cardio.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: April 15, 2020, 07:39:24 PM »
I'm 5"9.

My target net calories per day is 2100, and i eat back almost all exercise calories. Since i workout so often my average calories per day over a month usually works out to be in the 2500-2900 range. It's way higher on days i do long rides where I'm burning 2500 or more calories. On non-exercise days i have to really stick to the nutrition or just end up gaining weight. It's basically like doing cut/bulk at the same time.

Macros are 40/25/35, carb-fat-protein. I've tinkered with the ratio of the last few years, and 40% carbs is as low as i can go without suffering on my endurance cardio.

Thanks mate.  If you've been reading I've been toying with the whole keto thing which I love but this week, have had to bring more carbs back in as the amount of exercise I'm doing is almost too hard to keep up with.

Seems like you have a good knack on what you're doing.  I'm pretty intuative but my calories would be around that 2500, which is interesting becuase I weigh less and am taller.  The bolded part is one thing I've really learnt lately.  You gotta train, and train hard and consistently.  I feel so much focus is put on nutrition, but if you're not putting in the work, it's so easy for your results to start swaying.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: April 16, 2020, 04:55:29 AM »
I'm 5"9.

Thanks mate.  If you've been reading I've been toying with the whole keto thing which I love but this week, have had to bring more carbs back in as the amount of exercise I'm doing is almost too hard to keep up with.

Seems like you have a good knack on what you're doing.  I'm pretty intuative but my calories would be around that 2500, which is interesting becuase I weigh less and am taller.  The bolded part is one thing I've really learnt lately.  You gotta train, and train hard and consistently.  I feel so much focus is put on nutrition, but if you're not putting in the work, it's so easy for your results to start swaying.

I agree completely on this, but I do believe nutrition is more important than exercise in the grand scheme of body composition.  No one can out-work a bad diet.  I also believe that a great diet can off-set a mediocre exercise plan moreseo than a great exercise program can offset a mediocre diet.  I believe I'm living proof of the latter at the moment.  I've got a rock-solid exercise program, but mediocre diet - and I'm not getting the results I'd like to be.  I'm just not ready to go into a full discipline with nutrition at the moment.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: April 16, 2020, 05:32:16 AM »
Depends what the definition of bad diet is.  Take away everday then yeah your fucked but I'm successfully eating pretty loose on the weekend and still making progress.  It's definitely a balancing act and a lot of common sense IMO.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: April 16, 2020, 05:33:56 AM »
Did the pull up challenge.  Did 15 rounds.  I started at 1 rep and did some abs or curls inbetween until set 10 I think.  Set 14 was okay but I gassed out on the 15th.  Got it done but didn't even attempt the 16th.  Wasn't going to happen.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: April 16, 2020, 05:58:27 AM »
Did the pull up challenge.  Did 15 rounds.  I started at 1 rep and did some abs or curls inbetween until set 10 I think.  Set 14 was okay but I gassed out on the 15th.  Got it done but didn't even attempt the 16th.  Wasn't going to happen.

Impressive!  That's 112 pullups!   :omg:

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1246 on: April 16, 2020, 06:09:13 AM »
Quite impressive. I couldn't do 15 in a minute at my freshest, let alone at the end of the workout. Kudos.

I almost never have the will to start that last round lol. I just stare at the clock and think "no way am i going to start another round in 5sec"

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: April 16, 2020, 06:22:35 AM »
Impressive  :tup

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: April 16, 2020, 07:05:11 AM »
This whole work from home shelter in place has got me in the best shape I've been in 5+ years. I'm not as strong and I've lost a bit of muscle but I've been so strict with my eating I'm shedding body fat. It's really eye opening how much going to work, and stress from work makes me eat like trash. Really have to try and stay on top of it when I go back to the office.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1249 on: April 16, 2020, 08:43:35 AM »
Working from home has actually made it a little harder for me. I have a great home gym, but i usually bike commute to the office. It gave me anywhere from 45min to 2hr of "free" exercise during the day depending on whether i took the direct route or used the mtb singletrack. It's been a struggle to replace that time on the bike. I think once the mtb season really gets going I'll just wake up early to for a morning ride.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: April 16, 2020, 09:33:42 PM »

Impressive!  That's 112 pullups!   :omg:

120 by my count.  ;D

Quite impressive. I couldn't do 15 in a minute at my freshest, let alone at the end of the workout. Kudos.

I almost never have the will to start that last round lol. I just stare at the clock and think "no way am i going to start another round in 5sec"

Thanks mate.  I did cheat on the 15th set though and did 10, short rest, 3, short rest then 2.  It was inside 45 seconds though.  I'm not sure if that's cheating.  On the 14th set I was able to do a sideways bicep curl style grip, which helped so was cheating a little too.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1251 on: April 17, 2020, 06:38:40 AM »
Thanks mate.  I did cheat on the 15th set though and did 10, short rest, 3, short rest then 2.  It was inside 45 seconds though.  I'm not sure if that's cheating.  On the 14th set I was able to do a sideways bicep curl style grip, which helped so was cheating a little too.
Resting during the set isn't cheating at all. The goal is just getting the reps done during the minute, so it doesn't matter how you do it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: April 17, 2020, 07:03:13 AM »
Resting during the set isn't cheating at all. The goal is just getting the reps done during the minute, so it doesn't matter how you do it.

Thought as much.  Will aim for the sweet 16 next week.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1253 on: April 17, 2020, 07:36:30 AM »

Since you're so good at pull ups, you should give the "Cindy" CrossFit workout a try. 5 pull ups+10 push ups+15 squats=1 round. As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: April 17, 2020, 06:49:46 PM »

Since you're so good at pull ups, you should give the "Cindy" CrossFit workout a try. 5 pull ups+10 push ups+15 squats=1 round. As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes.

Sounds okay.  Still fits into my style of training.

I'm guessing bodyweight squats?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1255 on: April 17, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »

Sounds okay.  Still fits into my style of training.

I'm guessing bodyweight squats?
Yeah, that's the normal version. There's always crazy folks that use a weighted vest for the whole thing

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1256 on: April 19, 2020, 11:47:34 PM »
Did a decent run yesterday.  8km (4.9miles) run for 42:24.  My previous best timed was 44:58, but two weeks ago, I had some music going and forgot to time but judging by the playlist it was around 44:00.  Felt really strong and showed in the time. 

Been doing all different things when it comes to running to try and improve.  One day will go slow but long distance then other days shorter distance yet quicker, then interval sprints another day.  Trying to basically do something different each day to improve.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: April 20, 2020, 04:39:39 AM »
Last week was a good one for me - dropped almost 2.5lbs, and 0.2% of BF.  Just goes to show how important a clean diet is - no alcohol, only a couple of 'rewards' (some leftover chocolate from Christmas).  Throw in a couple of extra SS cardio sessions on the bike, and voila!

Off-day today, and I'm gonna need it.  Yesterday was a lot of lower back and hamstring work... and I'm feeling it today.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: April 20, 2020, 05:17:49 AM »
Left over chocolate from XMas!?  Jeez you have some willpower mate to let them sit that long.  ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1259 on: April 29, 2020, 08:01:11 AM »
So, after 3 days of heartburn - and getting too cocky yesterday and feeling it again last night - I've gotta go Shaolin monk on my diet. I used to be pretty good but the last few months haven't been so great, and my diet isn't what it used to be.

Cutting out red meat, for the time being. Sticking to the usual favorites for protein that don't make me feel like a slob: eggs, tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey. I have a rice cooker that gets plenty of use; I need to figure out ways to spice that up. Throw in vegetables with the rice, use bouillon cubes to flavor up the rice, get back to cooking all the noodle-based dishes I loved to make for a quick lunch. Fruit is big; I eat apples and bananas regularly but I want to make a habit of keeping fruit around and trying fruit that I rarely eat or need to eat more often.

But, most pressing: because I'm a single 29 year-old dude, I really need to learn my foods. What the fuck do I do with bok choy? Radishes? RJ, help a helpless noob. Someone! :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"