Author Topic: The Official King's X Thread (v. Three Sides of One)  (Read 11746 times)

Offline goo-goo

The Official King's X Thread (v. Three Sides of One)
« on: July 20, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
Well, I did a search and the forum advised me to create a new thread since the post was over 90 days (no posts since 2010), so I followed the advice and started this one.

Saw them last night in San Antonio to a crowd of close to 200. Not too bad for a Sunday night but definitely the band deserved a better turnaround. Anyways, as always, if you haven't seen King's X live, please do so. They are a great live band.

On my drive to San Antonio from Austin, I played the Dogman album. Hadn't played it in ages. Wow. It hit me right in the face. Ty's guitar tone is massive. Love his tone (both studio and live). This time around he brought less gear (2 cabs, 1 amp, 1 fender guitar and about 6 pedals). Love Ty's guitar playing...and his solo albums never disappoint. Anyways, enough of my Ty man crush.

NP: King's X - Alone
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 08:20:19 AM by goo-goo »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The Official King's X Thread (v. XV)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »
Missed my chance to see both Dug/Corey Glover and Kings X a few weeks back.

Rush was in the area and something (everything?) always has to give.

I think I must have knowingly missed Kings X about 30 times over the last 25 years. Something always seems to come up. It's really horrible. It's almost become a running joke for me.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:30:12 AM »
I really really like King's X but never saw them live, their visits to Germany were scarce in the past years.

Dogman is the best, imo, but I recently re-listened to Ogre Tones and XV and they aren't bad at all. Wish they would put out some new material.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »
bump

Been listening to their discography straight through.  :metal

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »
Amazing underrated band.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 01:33:11 PM »
King's X have easily been my favorite band for the past year or two. I got to see them a few months back and it was probably the best concert I've seen. I think it's really cool how appreciative they are of their fans, signing stuff and taking pictures with anyone and everyone after the shows. I could go on and on about how much I love this band.

I noticed on their Facebook that there are some "surprises" in store for some of the upcoming shows. I'm guessing/hoping for a new setlist. They've been playing the exact same setlist, minus the occasional inclusion of King or Mission, for a long time now, and it'd be cool if they mixed it up a little.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 02:45:15 PM »
King's X have easily been my favorite band for the past year or two. I got to see them a few months back and it was probably the best concert I've seen. I think it's really cool how appreciative they are of their fans, signing stuff and taking pictures with anyone and everyone after the shows. I could go on and on about how much I love this band.

I noticed on their Facebook that there are some "surprises" in store for some of the upcoming shows. I'm guessing/hoping for a new setlist. They've been playing the exact same setlist, minus the occasional inclusion of King or Mission, for a long time now, and it'd be cool if they mixed it up a little.

I try to never miss a show when they are in the Texas area. They are a great live band.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 05:48:46 PM »
They cannot even survive only with King's X, they have to rely also on side-projects. So unfair..

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 01:42:51 PM »
Amazing band. Haven't listened to them in a while. Maybe this thread will inspire me!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 02:45:42 PM »
I've been lucky to see them 8 times with the first in 1989.  It blows my mind how good they are live yet could never truly break big in the business.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 11:24:29 PM »
So I really like Bulbous, Manic Moonlight, and, to a slightly lesser degree, Black Like Sunday. But these are kind of like the black sheep of the King's X discography, a lot of people either don't like them or don't really talk about them, but there's a lot of great music and interesting ideas on these albums.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 06:03:21 AM »
Bulbous and Manic Moonlight, agreed on.

btw, sort of related: any Galactic Cowboys fans should anticipate a new album in 2017.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 12:58:01 PM »
Should be interesting to see what GC come up with. Ty and Dug also have solo albums that are supposed to come out next year. Dug's is a Hendrix cover album and Ty's is supposedly a double album. Kxm are also supposed to put out another album at some point.

Offline Working man

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »
Fantastic news...

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 10:56:19 AM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
just saw it, yep..very cool to plan for this one!  :tup

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 12:06:35 AM »
It's about time  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 12:54:26 PM »
Oh, that's cool.

I recently bought 'Gretchen Goes to Nebraska' after reading about it in a book. Great record. I have yet to listen to much of their other stuff though!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline HOF

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »
King's X update

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kings-x-wont-release-new-album-until-band-can-tour-to-promote-it/

Just hope they don’t wait too long and Jerry has another heart problem or something. At their age not sure waiting around is the best strategy, but it sounds like they’ve pulled out all the stops for this one. Will be interesting to see what they’ve come up with.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2021, 11:30:39 AM »
that's too bad, although hopefully touring will resume soon. i would assume not until 2022 though.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2021, 11:31:11 AM »
I understand that these bands need to tour to generate income. But I don't think them touring will greatly help album sales.

I think that especially with small bands, all fans are kinda hardcore fans, that will buy a new album, regardless of touring. And those that see them on tour and then decide to buy the new record can't be that much.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2021, 12:59:26 PM »
Out of the Silent Planet when it came out was so awesome   still my fav by them
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2021, 02:00:42 PM »
I understand that these bands need to tour to generate income. But I don't think them touring will greatly help album sales.

I think that especially with small bands, all fans are kinda hardcore fans, that will buy a new album, regardless of touring. And those that see them on tour and then decide to buy the new record can't be that much.

But maybe I'm wrong.
I wonder how much of it is the press that they "have" to do.  When you release an album, you do press.  When you go out on tour, you do press.  A lot of these guys hate doing interviews.  If they can halve the amount of interviews they do by releasing an album to coincide with a tour, I think most of them are gonna do it.  Or, maybe it's their promotion allowance.  And, they'd rather pay for print and radio ads when they're out on the road.

I can't imagine any of them are thinking "If we release this album at the same time as when we tour, we're gonna sell 3X as many copies".  I would think if you release it 6 months before you tour, you'll get your die hards then.  And, hopefully, you'll get some more 6 months later when you tour.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2021, 02:18:53 PM »
I really liked the part about how Doug said that they all came in with songs, honed them, and they all sang and played with conviction like the early days. Because it was really noticeable the last few records that it was like three solo artists performing on the same record, at least to my ears. Not that the music was bad, it wasn't. But they lacked a united sound like Dogman, Gretchen, Ear Candy, etc.

So if the new record has that vibe of unity back, and they are all fully invested in each others' material like the old days, so much the better. I fully expect this to be the last King's X studio album, so I sure do hope they go out on top, creatively.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2021, 01:33:55 PM »
Dug just posted a clip and it appears they are mastering the new album. Getting closer  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2021, 01:35:00 PM »
I can't wait for the new album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2021, 01:58:51 PM »
Dug just posted a clip and it appears they are mastering the new album. Getting closer  :metal

Nice.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2021, 04:38:31 PM »
if it's being mastered right now, maybe at least a single/video could happen in 2021, if not the whole record still coming out.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2021, 06:36:36 PM »
if it's being mastered right now, maybe at least a single/video could happen in 2021, if not the whole record still coming out.

They have some shows in October so it might be released at that time

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2021, 05:16:51 PM »