---3rd Place Above -- Championship Below---
0 (0%)
1. As I Am
20 (29.4%)
6. The Shattered Fortress
14 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: July 22, 2015, 02:03:38 PM

Author Topic: DT the League 2015 - DIVISION 3 CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT - CHAMPIONSHIP...  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
... and 3rd place match.

Division 3 Championship Tournament

Seeding:
1. As I Am
2. Vacant
3. Honor Thy Father
4. Lost Not Forgotten
5. The Killing Hand
6. The Shattered Fortress
7. Hollow Years
8. The Looking Glass
9. Beneath the Surface
10. Wither
11. New Millennium
12. Ytse Jam
13. Raise the Knife
14. The Silent Man
15. A Fortune in Lies
16. Along For the Ride

Opening Round
1. As I Am defeats 16. Along For the Ride 29-5
9. Beneath the Surface defeats 8. The Looking Glass 19-15
5. The Killing Hand defeats 12. Ytse Jam 20-14
4. Lost Not Forgotten defeats 13. Raise the Knife 21-13
14. The Silent Man defeats 3. Honor Thy Father 20-14
6. The Shattered Fortress defeats 11. New Millennium 25-9
7. Hollow Years defeats 10. Wither 20-14
2. Vacant defeats 15. A Fortune in Lies 21-13

Quarterfinals
1. As I Am defeats 9. Beneath the Surface 21-14
4. Lost Not Forgotten defeats 5. The Killing Hand 21-14
6. The Shattered Fortress defeats 14. The Silent Man 20-15
7. Hollow Years defeats 2. Vacant 19-16

Semifinals    
1. As I Am defeats 4. Lost Not Forgotten 21-14
6. The Shattered Fortress defeats 7. Hollow Years 18-17

Please pick a winner for the 3rd place match, and please crown the 2015 Division 3 Champion!

3rd Place Match
4. Lost Not Forgotten vs. 7. Hollow Years

Championship Match
1. As I Am vs. 6. The Shattered Fortress

48 hours

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
That's cool. I was wondering if you were going to have 3rd-place matches.  :tup

Lost Not Forgotten for 3rd place, The Shattered Fortress for the Championship.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Hollow Years and As I Am.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Outcrier

Lost Not Forgotten
As I Am
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline 425

Bottom seeds.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Lost Not Forgotten
The Shattered Fortress
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline krands85

Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline CharlesPL

Lost Not Forgotten
As I Am

Offline erwinrafael

Lost Not Forgotten

The Shattered Fortress

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Lost Not Forgotten
The Shattered Fortress
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Lost Not Forgotten
The Shattered Fortress

This.  And by "this", I mean "the exact opposite".

How the hell did LNF make it this far???
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

I second this. Can't stand the song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
LNF is legit a bottom 5 DT song, seeing it here, even if this is only division 3, is kind of disgusting

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Lost Not Forgotten
The Shattered Fortress

This.  And by "this", I mean "the exact opposite".

Wondering the exact same about Hollow Years.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Lost Not Forgotten
The Shattered Fortress
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
LNF is legit a bottom 5 DT song, seeing it here, even if this is only division 3, is kind of disgusting

Disgusting is kinda harsh, but I can honestly say the intro is the worst wank-fest DT has ever done.  Even worse than ITPOE - The Reckoning.

LNF beating RtK and TKH baffles me.

Hollow Years is kinda understandable considering it was against Wither and Vacant.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
Lost Not Forgotten is great, I don't know what you're talking about.. From beginning to end.. And while I don't like it as much as so many other songs, a 3rd place in Division THREE I think it's fine..

The Shattered Fortress.. DAT solo.. JP's best one..

Anyway, I won't mind with As I Am being the champion..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power

Disgusting is kinda harsh, but I can honestly say the intro is the worst wank-fest DT has ever done.  Even worse than ITPOE - The Reckoning.

Yeah, I see what you're saying.  Don't know if it's the worst, but it really serves no other purpose than just outright wankery.  They not only do it once but the sequence is repeated as if to say, "if you didn't quite catch all that, here it is again."  JP's solo is pretty much the same thing.  JR's solo is a little more palatable.  The song has a few moments but overall, I don't get the love for it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream

Yeah, I see what you're saying.  Don't know if it's the worst, but it really serves no other purpose than just outright wankery.  They not only do it once but the sequence is repeated as if to say, "if you didn't quite catch all that, here it is again."  JP's solo is pretty much the same thing.  JR's solo is a little more palatable.  The song has a few moments but overall, I don't get the love for it.

What love?.. I mean, it's winning the match and it will end up 3rd, but in Division 3!.. Don't see any love according to that.. And I don't love it either, but it has its moments.. Besides the beginning, the riff at 2:31, almost all the vocal's parts, THAT part at 6:22, the JP solo's background, and the change in the last chorus (taken from UaGM, as a lot of other things in the whole song)..

Good song.. Hollow Years in the other hand...
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Man... LNF is my favorite off ADToE, and a top 10 DT song for me. Love it from start to stop. It was great live, as well.

Offline erwinrafael

Disgusting? Wankery?

The hyperboles know no bounds.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Why don't you look it up in the dictionary?  :p

Offline erwinrafael

disgusting. adjective. causing disgust. offensive to the physical, moral, or aesthetic taste.

wankery. noun. Most times, guitar/bass wankery is when a guitarist/bassist makes excessive use of soloing and techniques such as shrills, taps, slaps & pops, slides, bends, sweeps and the like to the point where its nothing but self satisfaction.

hyperbole. noun. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

:p ;)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Dude, what's with you and hyperboles all of a sudden? It's not like it's a new thing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Overexaggeration is a better term, I think.

Let's have some perspective. Murder is disgusting. The fact a song has reached the 3rd-place round in a forum's league tournament is not disgusting.

I will say though that the virtuoso section of LNF doesn't feel right as an intro. That sort of dissonant music would normally appear in the mid-song instrumental break, and even then, I'm not sure if that would fit the mood of this song. Still, it is what it is, and where it is.

Offline erwinrafael

Dude, what's with you and hyperboles all of a sudden? It's not like it's a new thing.

Maybe I'm just tired of negative vibes being rained down on the parade of people who actually like these songs. Can't we just enjoy these songs since we are in the final round already? I am ok with discussing the demerits of the songs, but "disgusting" really just closes the avenues for any engaging discussion.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Lost Not Forgotten is fantastic.  I don't get the hate of it, either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 425

Maybe I'm just tired of negative vibes being rained down on the parade of people who actually like these songs. Can't we just enjoy these songs since we are in the final round already? I am ok with discussing the demerits of the songs, but "disgusting" really just closes the avenues for any engaging discussion.

I'm mostly with you here. Though in fairness to Parama, he said that the results of the vote are disgusting, not the song itself.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I don't get the hate for it either, maybe the intro is a bit random, but overall a great song.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power

disgusting. adjective. causing disgust. offensive to the physical, moral, or aesthetic taste.

wankery. noun. Most times, guitar/bass wankery is when a guitarist/bassist makes excessive use of soloing and techniques such as shrills, taps, slaps & pops, slides, bends, sweeps and the like to the point where its nothing but self satisfaction.

hyperbole. noun. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

:p ;)

Great, then what's the big mystery?  Hyperbole is just your interpretation of someone's opinion.  I never used the word "disgusting" but if that's what someone thinks, so be it.  "Wankery" is exactly how I would describe what's going on in LNF.  No exaggeration intended.  It serves no useful purpose and contributes nothing to the song outside of meaningless

Some people's opinions are not always positive and they're not always up for debate or discussion either.  If you wish to discuss how or why someone feels a certian way about a song, then just ask.  Using words like "hyperbole" certainly isn't opening any avenues.

Lost Not Forgotten is fantastic.  I don't get the hate of it, either.

I don't hate it, but because of the way the song is constructed, I usually skip it every time.  Hollow Years is just a very simple, melodic and well constructed song that is easy listening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
everytime I listen to any of LNF I think "why am I not listening to UaGM" and then I turn off LNF and listen to UaGM instead

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
There are times when I feel like listening to LNF, and when I do I can usually find some enjoyment in it's sillyness. But those times are rare, and I do not consider it an especially good song. Although the instrumental section is nice.

I'm not a super enthusiastic supporter of Hollow Years either, but at least I can take that one seriously and it actually has some emotion to it.