Author Topic: Board games  (Read 7385 times)

Offline 1upmushroom

Re: Board games
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2019, 10:33:59 PM »
Another vote for Monopoly and Settlers of Catan.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 12:19:54 AM »
I played Settlers of Catan with my sister, her boyfriend (it's his game) and rest of the family (with expansion for 6 players) and fell in love with it instantly. Played it later with 4 and 3 players and it's definitely the most entertaining and difficult the more players there is. Planning to buy it soon. Recommend me some expansions btw :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline 1upmushroom

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 12:24:40 AM »
Seafarers is one of the expansions - I've played it a couple of times, and liked it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2019, 01:22:12 AM »
And then there's this, because... we need board games to be woke now?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/10/us/hasbro-ms-monopoly-trnd/index.html

The twist? In Ms. Monopoly, female players will get more money.

Unlike the classic game, women will collect 240 Monopoly bucks when they pass "go," while male players will collect the usual 200. The idea is to create a game where women make more than men, the first game to do so, according to Hasbro.

It's "a fun new take on the game that creates a world where women have an advantage often enjoyed by men," the company said in a statement.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2019, 01:39:00 AM »
Oh god, this should go to some other thread but I hate that pay gap myth so much, it caused something I feared and that is giving women advantage just because they are women and that did exactly the opposite from what should happen and that's equality.

To be on topic, I just remembered I never actually played Monopoly "by the rules", meaning we always ignored that auction rule which would probably make the game shorter and more bearable.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2019, 06:36:49 AM »
Are there D&D players around? We started a group a couple months ago and try to meet at least once a month.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2019, 07:24:26 AM »
my wife was a big MacGyver fan as a youth so when I saw this at Target last Christmas it was a no brainer.......

fun little game that'll make you use your brains a bit. we did the first level untimed just to get a feel for it.  haven't done all the levels yet but I read the last two are pretty tricky.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »

:metal

I assume that's an adults only game?

And then there's this, because... we need board games to be woke now?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/10/us/hasbro-ms-monopoly-trnd/index.html

The twist? In Ms. Monopoly, female players will get more money.

Unlike the classic game, women will collect 240 Monopoly bucks when they pass "go," while male players will collect the usual 200. The idea is to create a game where women make more than men, the first game to do so, according to Hasbro.

It's "a fun new take on the game that creates a world where women have an advantage often enjoyed by men," the company said in a statement.

Yea!!  Gender discrimination!!  Let's celebrate!!  Reminds me a little of the "Cotton Land" skit that Eddie Murphy and Stevie Wonder did on SNL back in the 80s.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2020, 12:18:58 PM »
Bump as I know there are a few enthusiasts here, maybe Mason or Nick see this as they're probably the most likely folks to answer this.

So, has anyone played Everdell? I'm travelling to see my friends in another town in two weeks and we all love boardgames and one girl in particular loves the nature-themed games. I'm thinking of buying a new game to try at the table and I'm thinking of getting Everdell, but there are some BGG reviews that say the game isn't easily graspable on the first few plays. If anyone played it, what was your experience with it?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »
Love that Kiss game! (Not that i have played it)

First thing that comes to mind when someone talks about great board games is my personal favorite...
Risk! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2020, 07:33:24 PM »
I bought Munchkins Oz edition, found it at Noble (a place that sells used games, cards, and board games). Trying to find people to play with though. Hopefully I will sometime this year. Looked at the rules and it sounds fun.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2020, 08:19:09 PM »
A little off topic, I have a friend that lives a few door down from me and he has over 100 board games in his basement.  I like board games, but he puts me to shame  :lol
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2020, 09:57:33 PM »
Youngest daughter has been getting in to Chutes and Ladders. I think she is ready for me to bust out Candy Land. Fortunately for her we have a Disney Princess version.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2020, 01:48:30 AM »
I absolutely love backgammon. Play it every week.

Scrabble too.

A friend has tons and recommends me favourites:

Port Royal is a great card game.

Tiny Epic Galaxies is a fun space thing.

I really like games, own a fair few more but i font get around to playing them enough, honestly.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2020, 07:20:33 AM »
Backgammon and scrabble have made a comeback here during our 'restricted' days.

The KISS board game is hilarious.  Nice find.  The problem.....it never ends :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »
With no sports on TV, I've rediscovered board games.

Netrunner and Dominion with my son.  Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Azul, Arboretum and Viticulture when my wife joins in.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2020, 07:11:51 AM »
Backgammon and scrabble have made a comeback here during our 'restricted' days.

The KISS board game is hilarious.  Nice find.  The problem.....it never ends :D

Kind of like the band itself....   ;)  :) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2020, 07:14:00 AM »

Netrunner and Dominion with my son.  Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Azul, Arboretum and Viticulture when my wife joins in.

What planet are you reporting in from? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2020, 04:21:22 PM »

Huh? How is playing a board game making me an alien 👽 life form?

I’m actually big on games and puzzles. I do NY Times crosswords every day. I used to do video games but my old eyes couldn’t deal with tracking shit on a screen and my reflexes can’t handle stuff like Doom any longer. So board games has become the answer.

I also played chess at the Queens Chess Club and was on my company’s (Citigroup) chess team for several years in which we’d play against other banks like Goldman, etc. I had a USCF rating for awhile and played in a simul against a master in which I was one of about 10 players who managed a draw. One other managed a win and the rest lost.

I also played in a simul against Irina Krush, a former US women’s chess champion. That one I llost, but I had my wife bugging me to quit the game so we could attend some other function, so I felt like I wasn’t fully invested in that game, which I’m still sore about.

--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2020, 04:36:15 PM »

Huh? How is playing a board game making me an alien 👽 life form?

It doesn't. But on this planet we play Monopoly, Clue, Sorry.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2020, 04:45:12 PM »
No worries lol. I should also point out that my son writes for a video gaming blog and is into game design, so you could say that we’re “immersed”.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2020, 04:46:24 PM »
No worries lol. I should also point out that my son writes for a video gaming blog and is into game design, so you could say that we’re “immersed”.

Oh, that's really cool!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2020, 12:34:56 PM »
Just got Villainous last week, played a partial "practice" game on Sunday, and played all the way through last night.  Man, what a FUN game!  We're still figuring out some things, but had a blast playing it.  I like how varied the experience is depending on which character you play.  And I love that there are several expansions out there to add different characters once we kind of exhaust the possibilities with these.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2023, 07:14:47 PM »
My daughter and I just finished (finally!) this game. Aside from learning we suck at detective work, it was a solid presentation, engaging story, and overall fun and satisfying experience. A lot of thought and detail was put in to the story, the materials, and the overall package, complete with an online hint and answer submission system. It was great you had to prove your answers instead of just brute-forcing your way to the end, or thinking you have the right answer without the evidence to back it up.

https://www.unsolvedcasefiles.com/jamie.html

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2023, 06:15:09 AM »
Is that pretty teen oriented, or could a couple adults have a few good play throughs?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2023, 09:25:27 AM »
Is that pretty teen oriented, or could a couple adults have a few good play throughs?

Have you played this?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/223321/detective-modern-crime-board-game

It's not perfect but our table enjoyed it quite a lot. However it's good for one playthrough only (we gave the box to our friends after that).
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2023, 05:00:39 PM »

Good question. First off, apparently as with Evermind's game, you are trying to solve a crime. It's a one-and-done game, there is no replay value. It's not a game like Clue; it might even be best to not think of it in terms of a "game" but more of a challenge.

Answering your question in two parts, 1) Gameplay: I've only played this one game in the series, but it is definitely appropriate for adults and teenagers. There is a level of deduction and reasoning involved. 2) Thematically: Oh boy, I played this with my 11 year old, and without giving anything away, the story for the Jamie Banks case involved rumors of a high school student fooling around with an adult, and an organized sports gambling ring. Did not anticipate having to discuss point-shaving with my kid!

To start, it was just me and her one night; we spent an hour or so reading through and examining all the evidence, and another hour discussing topics, considering hypotheses, and revisiting documents. Eventually we realized we had.... no idea how to complete the first objective. We decided we were spinning our wheels, and we should put it away for the night, let it stew, and come back fresh another night. I worked on it by myself periodically the following few weeks, and didn't get anywhere. She and I would talk about some ideas until I finally said to her we really needed to sit down and complete this game before we totally lost interest. It was fulfilling, but I shouldn't have let so much time pass between starting and completing. And I am indeed kicking myself for not seeing the necessary clues on my own.

Could you finish the game in one night? Sure, but you'd need to commit a few hours to it, and decide if you were going to resolve to finish it in that one sitting, even if it meant getting online help.