Author Topic: Board games  (Read 7341 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Board games
« on: July 20, 2015, 10:43:15 AM »
My girlfriend and I have taken a very serious liking to the boardgame Firefly. We've played it about a dozen times now and it's always a blast. We just ordered a new one called Pandemic that's supposed to be fantastic.

What other board games do you folks recommend?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Boardgames
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:45:37 AM »
I play a mean game of Chutes and Ladders these days  :lol

I always liked Balderdash (but you need a group for that) I am full of BS and that game suits me perfectly....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Board games
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:50:10 AM »
1. Chess  :metal   Nothing gets chicks worked up more

2. Clue
3. Battle ship (electronic)

4. Monopoly

5. 13 dead end drive

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:55:17 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 10:52:54 AM »
Life is the shit

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 11:19:30 AM »
Been playing a ton of Chutes and Ladders and Candy Land with my 4 year old lately. The boards of these versions are so much more busy than the ones I played when I was a kid.

I remember loving Clue as a kid, but when I played it recently, it seemed so lame. It is just a guessing game, and becomes process of elimination. I don't know what I was expecting from a board game, CSI?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 11:32:52 AM »
Alright so now an answer from a player of serious board games :lol

Betrayal at House on the Hill is one of the best investments in a board game you can make. Extremely fun and huge amount of replayability. Arkham Horror and other games in the series are always fun. Descent is great, though it's a significant investment in terms of both time and money. Ikusa is a Japanese-themed game similar to Risk that removes much of the chance element and makes it a lot more strategic. Grind is a really fun game for two players where you play robot soccer. There's a really great game based on A Song of Ice and Fire that I think is called Game of Thrones, it's not based on the TV show but there are a bunch that are, but they are not the same.

And you can't go wrong with card games. I hope you're already familiar with games like Cards Against Humanity and Munchkin, but if you're not you need to amend that ASAP. Coup and Love Letter are also great, fairly simple and inexpensive, but whenever my friends and I get together we sink hours into these games.

The Youtube show Tabletop hosted by Wil Wheaton is an excellent place to find out about board games, you get to see the game in action, learn the rules, and get some entertainment at the same time. You can find it on the channel Geek and Sundry: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaBf1a-dpIsw8OxqH4ki2Kg

I'm almost insulted that all the responses so far have been children's games. Like chutes and ladders are you fucking kidding me

...my name is Araragi.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 11:44:23 AM »
Articulate is amazing, I love that game. You get a card and have to basically describe the stuff on it! It can be so much fun. I love it. When you get stuff right you move around the board. You get a timer so it's pretty fast paced.

Worst board game ever I played recently, it's called Battle of the Sexes and it's every bit as disturbingly sexist as it sounds lol. All of the boys team's questions were about power tools and football players whereas all of our girls team's questions were about kitchen implements, beauty and reality tv stars. It was actually painful to sit through.

Special mention goes to trivial pursuit. Tried to play that the other day and it's way harder than I remembered. I don't think I got more than one question right, so I got bored and went and made drinks instead.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 11:48:36 AM »
Worst board game ever I played recently, it's called Battle of the Sexes and it's every bit as disturbingly sexist as it sounds lol. All of the boys team's questions were about power tools and football players whereas all of our girls team's questions were about kitchen implements, beauty and reality tv stars. It was actually painful to sit through.

But the battle of the sexes game is supposed to ask the questions to the opposite sex right?  My family played this on Christmas Eve a few years ago and my lets just say possible homosexual cousin was able to answer all the questions for our team so we the men won.  Either way, I agree, the game was terrible.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 11:54:49 AM »
I honestly can't remember, it took copious amounts of Red Stripe to wipe that game from my memory. I think so though, that would make more sense. I think the women did have to answer the women's questions and vice versa, although occasionally if we didn't get it right we could pass it onto the guys' team.

Haha, well that was handy for you! I honestly didn't know any of the questions for either team, I don't watch reality TV and aren't really into fancy shit in the kitchen, just normal cooking. Also I know nothing about sport or tools. Oh actually I think I did get one right, it was 'what is this implement?' and it was a honey drizzler lol. I knew that one. Just so unspeakably awful as a game, both on a personal entertainment level and a society-wide level :P
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 12:02:11 PM »
I feel it necessary at this stage to give people some example questions from Battle of the Sexes:

Questions for men

When a fishing line gets caught underwater, it's said to be caught in a what?
How many volts are there in a standard car battery?
What position does English soccer star David Beckham play?
What index is used on the American share market?
What do you call a hammer that has a head with one end curved and cleft for pulling out nails?
Where would you find a motherboard?

Questions for women

What do you call a woman who agrees to have a baby on behalf of another person?
What is a traditional piece of music the bride and groom first dance to at their wedding reception?
What do you call a single diamond set alone in a ring?
What sewing term describes loosely tacking material together at the start of making a garment?
When using an eyelash curler, do you apply mascara before or after using it?
If you're 27-40 weeks into your pregnancy, you're said to be in your third what?

Some of them were just wrong answers too, like 'how many pills are in a packet of the contraceptive pill?' I could go on.

Offline Cable

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 05:09:51 PM »
---

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »
Not sure it counts as a 'board' game, but Cards Against Humanity is fantastic - only if you have a kind of open, a bit dark, sense of humour though.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 07:50:35 PM »
My favorites typically last around 1-4+ hours and involve (ideally) a couple other people at least.

Settlers of Catan, Starship Catan, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Return of the Heroes and Risk (dangerous game to play with friends and loved ones) are my most played games I'd say

And of course, the most classic of all- Dungeons and Dragons. Unfortunately I don't really hang out in the correct circles to be playing that game anymore (my friends are so lame  :P), so it's been a few years but I used to absolutely love it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 07:51:25 PM »
I used to like Clue a lot.

It was ALWAYS Colonel Mustard with a knife in the billiard room when I played.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 08:45:17 PM »
I tried talking about his in the hobby thread and was ignored.  I'm going to just state that I am probably the expert here on board games based on this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/mrouser?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

That's just what I own, and the play counts are horribly off, I have gone through phases where I didn't log plays, and I don't log plays of games I don't own..  I've probably played around 500 different games.

What do you want in a game?  There are lots of great games, but my personal favorite Twilight Struggle (and highest rated game on boardgamegeek.com) certainly isn't for everyone.

Pandemic is fun, just be prepared to lose a lot if you are playing legit games, especially beyond the beginner difficulty level.

I'd type out a dissertation on this if I wasn't typing on my iPad now.  Maybe later I'll put together a best of list for different types of games.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »
Go! It's a great game and it makes Chess look like tic-tac-toe. 7 dan here. Just amateur, though.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 07:23:50 AM »
We recently pulled out Th Omega Virus from the closet and gave it a few spins. Fast and fun and I think ahead of its time lol

I hate monopoly. I once played it for 3 hours and never got to pass go. I was sent back or sent to jail every time. Screw that game.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 09:44:12 AM »
Monopoly is the worst game of all time.

Board games?  I'm an old fart, I stick to things like Trivial Pursuit and Scrabble.

I also love card games like Rummy and UNO.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 09:48:17 AM »
Monoply is top tier for me too. I'd also recommend Diplomacy; I've been having so much fun with that one. Just be sure to play with the kind of people that don't hold grudges.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 07:38:36 PM »
Apples to Apples is fun, although it can sometimes make you want to run headfirst through a wall. :biggrin: :lol

As a kid, I always loved Mastermind. 

And Stratego.

I always liked Balderdash (but you need a group for that) I am full of BS and that game suits me perfectly....

Haha, me too.  I love putting the most absurd definitions possible.  I never care about winning when it comes to that game.

Now, Scattegories is another story... :lol :lol

I hate monopoly. I once played it for 3 hours and never got to pass go. I was sent back or sent to jail every time. Screw that game.

It's brutal cause you always end up with playing with someone who won't just give up when someone else is clearly going to win.  It's like, they have $200 left, two properties and no hotels, while the other person has over 3K and eight hotels, yet they will fight it out till the bitter end which takes like an hour. :facepalm:  Most people I know now refuse to play that game, thank God. :lol :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »
I'll talk about some of my favorite games in batches.  I'll start with short games first.

Short games:

The Resistance is probably tied for my favorite.  It plays 5 to 10 players, and scales quite well.  Watch the Tabletop video for rules https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_QRczGzXqw.  This game is always a blast, and since it plays quickly, you can get several games in.  The tension that builds up during the game is palpable, especially in games with more players where there are more unknowns.  I always bring this game to game night, and it is a great way to close the night.  One time we started playing at 9:45, and kept playing games until about 1 am sitting outside of a closed Starbucks.  I recommend that at least one copy of this game should be owned by someone in a group, and provides more bang for your buck than most games.  There are also expansion modules that make things more complex if the basegame gets a little too straightforward.

Skull or Skulls and Roses is another group favorite.  It plays 2 to 6 players, but I think 3 is a functional minimum.  It's a bluffing and betting game.  I haven't seen any good videos for it, the two I watched I can't recommend due to errors.  Each player had 4 tiles, 3 roses and 1 skull.  You tried to bid how many tiles you can flip over without hitting a skull, or you try to induce other players into flipping over a skull.  There are more to the rules than that, but it plays at a little less than 3 minutes per player.

Coup is another short game that plays 3 to 6 players.  I have two copies of the game, and we've tried large games with 7, 9, and 10 players, but it's too hard to keep track what is going on across the table usually.  Seven players worked decent though.  Tom Vasel does a decent overview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YySzHXa1mo  Each player has two characters that are not revealed to other players.  You can take actions based on one of the character cards you have, take one of two generic actions, or just lie and take the action of a character you don't have.  Players have the opportunity to challenge other players lying about roles, and getting caught bluffing has the pretty dire consequence of losing one character.  Lose a second and you are out.  All the while, you are trying to gather money to assassinate or coup your opponents, causing them to lose a character.  Lots of intrigue and tension.

Star Realms is a quick deck-building game that can play any even number of players, but I have only played 2 players.  Players buy ships and stations that either give them economic power, attack their opponent, or heal/repair.  I'll talk more about deck builders in another post (if people keep coming to this thread).  I put it in the quick games, however, because it lacks the set up time a lot of deck building games have.  I can whip this out and get started in less than a minute if I put it away the way I want it put away, whereas other games usually take some time to set up.

Here are some other types of games I'd be willing to talk about in future posts.  Speak up if you are interested in one of them (or a particular game if you look at my bgg profile).

Co-op / co-op with traitor games
Deck Building games
Worker Placement games
Economic games
Tile placement games
Area/object control games
Space games
Role games (where your character or role dictates what you can and cannot perform)
War games
The broad topic of "Euro games"
Gateway games
Heavy games
2 player games
or, maybe just my favorite games

If I do a list, write ups will be a sentence or two tops and I would probably do 5 a day or so and knock it out relatively quickly.

There are lots of overlap in those groups

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 07:25:53 AM »
I'd be curious to hear what your favorite games of all are.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 11:24:04 AM »
Great posts from the serious players, I'm trying to get into board gaming so I have a plan to start building a collection in the next 1-2 years.

What do you want in a game?  There are lots of great games, but my personal favorite Twilight Struggle (and highest rated game on boardgamegeek.com) certainly isn't for everyone.

My ideal game would have:
1. A strong theme/story that plays well with the mechanics of the game
2. Some component of strategy/planning
3. Beautiful design in cards, board, dice, etc.
4. Variety of gameplay/mechanics, more than one thing happening (for example, tile discovery + worker placement + card drawing)
5. Some events that change the flow in the middle of the game
6. Replayability
7. It has to be fun!

However, I'm limited in my choices because I have to play something that my wife would play, and she likes more straightforward games (Ticket to Ride is her favorite). I got a beautiful game called Keyflower as a gift and we played it. She hated it (although it definitely ranks very high in the complexity scale even for serious games), so I just ended up giving it away (a huuuuuuge mistake as I learned later that I could probably have gotten $50 for it on eBay).

Pandemic is fun, just be prepared to lose a lot if you are playing legit games, especially beyond the beginner difficulty level.
We wanted to buy Pandemic but we saw the mechanics are almost identical to Forbidden Island which we already own, so I don't need to add a similar game to my small collection, I'd rather spend those $25 in something completely different.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »

The Resistance is probably tied for my favorite.  It plays 5 to 10 players, and scales quite well.  Watch the Tabletop video for rules https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_QRczGzXqw.  This game is always a blast, and since it plays quickly, you can get several games in.  The tension that builds up during the game is palpable, especially in games with more players where there are more unknowns.  I always bring this game to game night, and it is a great way to close the night.  One time we started playing at 9:45, and kept playing games until about 1 am sitting outside of a closed Starbucks.  I recommend that at least one copy of this game should be owned by someone in a group, and provides more bang for your buck than most games.  There are also expansion modules that make things more complex if the basegame gets a little too straightforward.

My wife wanted this one but I saw the video on Tabletop and apparently it relies too much on you being able to deny that you are the traitor. I'm physically incapable of faking anything or hide something from others so I wouldn't really enjoy the game.

I bought Legends of Andor, it's kinda obscure and not ranked too highly but it combines several elements I wanted: coop, plays well with 2 players, has a story, nice components, variety and replayability (although limited to the legends available). I would like it to have more variety on characters, combat and strategy but otherwise I think I'd enjoy it.

I also want to add a lighter coop game (coop is very important to me) so I'm considering Hanabi.

My next addition would be a game that is lighthearted, fun and where people can have a blast going at each other. King of Tokyo or King of New York are my choices. I think I'm going for King of New York because of the added complexity. Games are really expensive so I'd prefer to maximize my investment in something that will provide as much variety and replayability as possible.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2015, 12:46:23 PM »
Trouble. It's fun if you like to screw up other players' chances of winning along with trying to better your chances. It's definitely not a game to play with someone who's a sore loser.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 01:55:16 PM »
@Dr. DTVT

And to anyone, (I can't believe I didn't say this in my last post), I'd recommend the Avalon variant of Resistance. It's much more balanced and conducive to a fun game. My friends and I got together to play this every week during my last year of college. One of my favorite board games of all time.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 06:38:41 PM »
Was thinking about games from my youth and was going to start a thread and lo and behold, this thread exists! (and I even posted in it 4 years ago!)

Anyway, does anyone recall the Clue VCR game? It was a game that came with a VHS* tape, and you watched scenes from the film, and would take informatioyou have to watch Scene 4 for those clues. The film was hilariously campy (it's on YouTube) and me and my family played it game to death. It was also awesome utilizing the VCR in an interactive way (if you consider pressing PAUSE interactive).

Scotland Yard was another favorite. It takes at least three players and a while to play, so we didn't play as often. I still have this game and will take it out soon when I think my oldest is ready.

I don't remember much of this game and my parents didn't save it.

*VHS was a home video tape format utilized in the 70s through the 90s till DVDs became commonplace. Like a cassette tape but with video on it. At the end of the video, you have to rewind it to watch it again. If you rented a video from a store, they would charge you extra if you returned a video without rewinding it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 04:35:44 AM »
I used to love Clue.  Also loved Monopoly and 13 dead end drive, which is essentially Clue, but you are knocking people off

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 09:23:54 AM »
James Rolfe/AVGN did a great video on that game. I'd never heard of it before that. Looks like a fun game.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 09:31:27 AM »
Life and Monopoly; love them.  My kid liked Clue, so I played it, but it was kind of lame.  My mom loves Sorry! and Trouble, so used to play that a lot too.

FYI, in that sexist game, I knew more of the questions asked of women than the one's asked of men. Wha???

Also, much prefer card games at this point.   I haven't played in years, but I'd kill for a good, serious game of Setback at this point.  We used to play in college OBSESSIVELY; to the point that we'd start a game in the morning, after breakfast, and the game could - if it was shitty weather outside (and it was Storrs, CT, so that was more often than not) - continue unabated into late evening (players swapping in and out as classes/assignments called for).   Loved that. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »
I love Monopoly and I've enjoyed the offshoot themed versions in the past (Star Wars or millennium edition) but Pizza monopoly? Really?

https://www.amazon.com/Monopoly-Pizza-Board-Game-Brown/dp/B07K3Y41WM/ref=sr_1_27?crid=ZKDCX98RRD1O&keywords=monopoly&qid=1568922751&sprefix=monop%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-27

Offline pg1067

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2019, 04:24:39 PM »
I was walking through Target with my kid a while back, and we ran across this:

Why does that need to exist?  The description on the box is hilarious:  "Help Kenny G stay in the groove with the power of jazz!  In this cooperative game, players work together to make sure Kenny stays smooth and saxy through a hectic day.  During each round, players will play sound cards to help Kenny overcome uncool events, detangle his luscious locks, and avoid rush hour traffic without missing a brassy beat.  No jazz playing in the elevator?  Scat with your friends and a 'Biddle Scoodily Bop' can get Kenny back in the groove and keeping it smooth and saxy."

I have a friend who is constantly talking about Cards Against Humanity, but the appeal completely eludes me.  Someone bought us Munhkin, but trying to figure out the rules gave me a headache, and I think it's sat unplayed ever since.

When I was a kid, I liked Monopoly, but no one in my family (including me) has the patience for it now.  I hated Scrabble because my mother was always way better than me (duh).

When my kids were younger, we liked Sequence ( https://www.amazon.com/Jax-Sequence-States-and-Capitals/dp/B000RZHGL4 ).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 04:53:45 PM »
:rollin  That's awesome!

For games, we have a few that we like.  I'm definitely a Cataan guy.  In that series, Settlers of America might be my favorite.  Some other fun ones we enjoy as a family:
-Citadels:  The expanded version has so many different character options that always make it feel new and fresh.  And I love how the strategy changes virtually every round as you are forced to change characters.
-Forbidden Island:  Fun coop game.  But it does have a fairly limited number of replays before it starts to get repetitive.
-The Mind:  Another coop game that is more fun than it should be.  The psychology of this game is fascinating.

Charter Stone looks REALLY cool.  I've never played a legacy game, but it looks like so much fun.  https://stonemaiergames.com/games/charterstone/
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2019, 06:19:46 PM »
Charter Stone looks REALLY cool.  I've never played a legacy game, but it looks like so much fun.  https://stonemaiergames.com/games/charterstone/

My wife and I are having friends over on Sunday to play Charterstone. Will post again after to share my thoughts on the game. I love Legacy type games, though. We played a ton of Risk Legacy, which is probably my favorite.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2019, 08:32:04 PM »

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol