Author Topic: Anyone ever buy from allposters.com? Seems like a poster monopoly.  (Read 532 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
I'd like to buy this poster:

$60 seems a bit much, but if it is a quality print on quality paper I figure it is worth it.  I also plan on framing it.

Every web search for posters ends up at this site, so I wonder how good they are.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: Anyone ever buy from allposters.com? Seems like a poster monopoly.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 10:51:30 PM »
I've ordered from them before with no problems at all. But yeah they seem to be the only online company that does this, which is weird.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 11:42:12 PM »
I've ordered some stuff in the past but they were just posters and they seemed to deliver as far as what they were. The biggest price gouging thing I've seen is the quotes for the framed prints but then again I think framing is outrageously priced even if you went to a professional shop.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 07:37:46 AM »
Yeah, framing is outrageously expensive.  It seems everything is "custom" even for standard sized pictures.  I wanted to make a frame collage of photos I took on a trip to put on my living room wall.  1 16x24, 2 8x12, 2 10x20, and it was $350 for basic materials.  These are not odd sizes (maybe the 10x20).  Needless to say, I haven't done this yet.

As for the poster, I created a cart but stopped short of making the purchase.  I got an email saying they would extend the 35% discount for 2 more days.  $40 ain't bad.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 07:36:50 PM »
Try Amazon...I've ordered a bunch of posters from Amazon recently.

And if you get posters that are standard sizes, you can get a decent frame for about $25 at any store like Target or Walmart or where ever.

Side note...that's a really cool poster!
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 09:21:39 PM »
Yeah, they have similar posters on amazon, but not that specific one. My wife and I used that exact train route on our honeymoon, so this one is what we want.  I even found the name of the artist: Otto Baumberger, who made lots of posters in a similar style.  Unfortunately I don't see this poster for sale anywhere else.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 01:54:09 PM »
I'd also like to get a print of this:

It's roughly 10"x14", and the library of congress shows that there are no known copyright restrictions, which I hope means I can download the hi-res JPEG, and have it printed somewhere.

There is even a color-referenced scan to tell you how it should appear: