Author Topic: Mother's Cake  (Read 901 times)

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
Mother's Cake
« on: July 15, 2015, 02:17:33 PM »
Just wanted to share this incredible band I came across late last year supporting Anathema, haven't been this blown away by the support band since I saw Symphony X support DT back in 2007! Try to suspend your disbelief at the ludicrous band name for just a sec...

They're an Austrian band with a couple albums out, their most recent only came out last month and I've not been able to tear myself away from their debut, Creation's Finest, long enough to give the new release a chance. Been listening to their debut pretty much solidly since Winter, they're kinda Mars-Voltaesque although a friend said they have a Red Hot Chili Peppers vibe to them (they've got funk woven right the way through the bass lines on most tracks). The musicianship in these guys is incredible, the bass lines are sexy enough to be listened to alone and the size of the voice that comes out of such a little guy is impressive. There's a lot of playing around with time signatures and the occasional long instrumental jam, another mate of mine suggested they be called prunk... prog funk ;)

Anyway give them a try, this is a pretty wonderful starting point, a 41 minute live in the studio recording. Oh, and they can really play live. They manage to bounce around and effervesce with endless energy while still hitting every note and generally looking like they're having a blast. Hope to god they get back to UK on their own tour sometime soon, rarely have I seen a more impressive band live! Did anyone else see them supporting Anathema last year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOd154X302Y
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Mother's Cake
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 03:16:49 PM »
Listening to this and I'm pretty well digging it, the instrumentals have a lot of good groove to them
Not a huge fan of the singer's voice but it's not really bad so oh well

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 01:34:21 PM »
Yeah, I saw them live as well and really dug them, also supporting Anathema. The few songs I listened to afterwards fell short of their live performance however, they are definetely among the best support acts I've ever seen. My favourite memory is when the bassist and the drummer started to "mosh" on stage, while still playing and hittinh every note perfectly :metal.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 04:29:59 PM »
although a friend said they have a Red Hot Chili Peppers vibe to them (they've got funk woven right the way through the bass lines on most tracks).
Woah, that's bizarre - when I saw the band name, the instant connection I made was to the RHCP album Mother's Milk. Or maybe it's not bizarre, maybe it's deliberate. :lol

Anyway your descriptions sounds all kinds of awesome so I shall definitely check them out!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 01:54:00 AM »
Listening to this and I'm pretty well digging it, the instrumentals have a lot of good groove to them
Not a huge fan of the singer's voice but it's not really bad so oh well

I was similar at first, his voice put me off, but then something clicked and I started to really enjoy it. The music's awesome though eh!

Yeah, I saw them live as well and really dug them, also supporting Anathema. The few songs I listened to afterwards fell short of their live performance however, they are definetely among the best support acts I've ever seen. My favourite memory is when the bassist and the drummer started to "mosh" on stage, while still playing and hittinh every note perfectly :metal.

That's cool you saw them play with Anathema too, I'm always pretty bored by support acts and usually just want them to get done and the headliner to start but by about ten seconds I was transfixed and sold. I couldn't wait to get home and look them up. What did you listen to afterwards? Soul Prison was the firs thing for me I think and immediately I recognised it from the set and dug it. They're incredible performers, I wish I'd been further down the front to see them. Even if they just supported a bigger band somewhere in the UK in the future I think I'd buy a ticket to see them play.

although a friend said they have a Red Hot Chili Peppers vibe to them (they've got funk woven right the way through the bass lines on most tracks).
Woah, that's bizarre - when I saw the band name, the instant connection I made was to the RHCP album Mother's Milk. Or maybe it's not bizarre, maybe it's deliberate. :lol

Anyway your descriptions sounds all kinds of awesome so I shall definitely check them out!

Maybe that's where they got the name from... I can't think of how else a name like that would come about :P Their last.fm page mentions Porcupine Tree as an influence/similar band and I didn't really get it until I saw the instrumental jam on that live video, it's very evocative of Sky Moves Sideways era PT. See what you think :)
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 02:19:44 AM »
Can we talk about this band please? So I checked through my Last.fm and I first heard a song (Runaway) back in June 2018. I must've liked it as I added it to one of my Spotify playlists. Well it took 2 years to get around to checking out their debut album but I heard it earlier this year and loved it! Don't think I've heard this blend of funk and progressive rock done so well!

I checked out their new album last week and I've just listened to it again (listening to exclusively 2020 albums today) and it's an absolute banger! The vocalist reminds me of Jack White at times. This could be a serious AotY contender. I haven't really heard any discussion on this band in the 6 years I've been on DTF, and this thread has been dead for over 5 years  :rollin

Anyone heard Cyberfunk! yet?

Anyway on with my 2020 album listen. Currently on new Obsidian Kingdom, then The Ocean, Ayreon and Thee Oh Sees  :metal