Poll

Vote for your least favourite song from Imaginaerum!

Storytime
0 (0%)
Ghost River
0 (0%)
Slow, Love, Slow
0 (0%)
I Want My Tears Back
0 (0%)
Scaretale
6 (37.5%)
Turn Loose the Mermaids
1 (6.3%)
Rest Calm
1 (6.3%)
The Crow, The Owl and The Dove
6 (37.5%)
Last Ride of the Day
0 (0%)
Song of Myself
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: July 15, 2015, 09:05:12 AM

Author Topic: Nightwish Survivor - Imaginaerum - Round 4  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Nightwish Survivor - Imaginaerum - Round 4
« on: July 13, 2015, 09:05:12 AM »
Round 3 Results:

Taikatalvi - 5 (41,7%)
Scaretale - 4 (33,3%)
The Crow, The Owl and The Dove - 2 (16,7%)
Song of Myself - 1 (8,3%)

Eliminated:

11. Taikatalvi
12. Arabesque
13. Imaginaerum

The album's first track is gone.
______

One of my favourite album intros ever is out, and Scaretale is still there. :mehlin

Scaretale
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Nightwish Survivor - Imaginaerum - Round 4
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:11:36 AM »
song of myself

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:21:03 AM »
The birds

Offline 425

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:49:32 PM »
One of my favourite album intros ever is out, and Scaretale is still there. :mehlin

See, it's quiet. So it must be bad. We have to vote out all the calm songs.

Scaretale
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 12:57:36 PM »

Scaretale

Funny how Rest Calm isnt getting votes  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 01:11:53 PM »
Rest calm next.  For the moment, the middle part of Scaretale is enough to vote it out.  It works in the context of the album, but as a standalone song, that middle section is ridonkulous.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 03:09:47 PM »
1. ???
2. ???
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???
6. Imaginaerum
7. ???
8. Taikatalvi
9. Arabesque
10. ???
11. ???
12. ???
13. The Crow, The Owl And The Dove

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 10:27:41 PM »

Scaretale

Funny how Rest Calm isnt getting votes  :biggrin:

:lol

Rest Calm is like second best song on the album though.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 12:26:46 AM »
Scaretale
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 07:23:20 AM »
Rest Calm is like second best song on the album though.

:wtf:

What colour is the sky in your world?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 09:55:01 AM »
I realize why you and more people dislike Elan and voting for it in the parallel survivor, but I honestly have no clue what's so bad about Rest Calm. ??? Maybe the repetitive chorus, but that's all I've got. And I happen to love the chorus, and the rest is pure awesomeness, so yeah, second best for me.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »
I don't dislike it, but it surely isn't Top 2 (imo) here.  Top 5 possibly.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 10:54:03 AM »
I realize why you and more people dislike Elan and voting for it in the parallel survivor, but I honestly have no clue what's so bad about Rest Calm. ??? Maybe the repetitive chorus, but that's all I've got. And I happen to love the chorus, and the rest is pure awesomeness, so yeah, second best for me.

All the songs (with one exception) are good, and it's less good than them, therefore it must go.

After Song of Myself, obviously. That piece of shit.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 07:49:04 PM »

I don't get this repetitive complaint of yours, saying that everyone hates ballads.. At least one ballad (or power ballad) from each album is on the top four, according to the results so far, except for Oceanborn.. Three went to the finals (Dead Boy's Poem, Ever Dream, Higher Than Hope) and two to the consolations (Angels Fall First, Meadows of Heaven)..

But anyway, it is true that the quietest songs are the least loved, in general, but not because they are quiet.. There are a lot of factors that can make you dislike (or hate) one song.. I find really hard to believe that someone just don't like a song because is a ballad..

Having said that, remember this is a symphonic metal band after all, so, most of the people who like it tend to like the metallic side, though I'm pretty sure most of them also enjoy the melodic side.. But Nightwish isn't Pink Floyd.. They're, first of all, a (power, orchestral, symphonic) METAL band..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline 425

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 10:38:51 PM »
I would not consider Dead Boy's Poem, Ever Dream, Higher Than Hope or Meadows of Heaven to be among the calm, quiet songs (that's why I didn't use the word "ballad"). All of those songs (especially Ever Dream and Higher Than Hope) have tons of dynamics. Angels Fall First is the only one to really slip through.

Swanheart got killed way too early. So did Lappi. I was absolutely stunned when those two songs, which are both among the best songs on their albums in my opinion, were gone by the second round of each of their albums. That was how the survivor began—with two calm songs that I think are absolutely stunning both being voted out within two goes.

Then that was immediately followed up with the merciless killing of Two For Tragedy and Forever Yours. Right off the bat, and by a pretty wide margin. I would not consider those two to be among the best of their albums, but they are far from the worst, and there's no way, in my opinion, that they should have gone first without the voting being extremely close.

Then Kuolema went out in round one. I voted for it, since I'm not particularly in love with the song, but it's another data point.

Then The Islander went out insanely early.

Then they came for Taikatalvi.

I mean, people will like what they like. I'm not legitimately mad that people dislike Nightwish's quieter songs for some reason. I've been doing this over-the-top scandalized act for the whole roulette. But there is a definite trend here, and as someone who tends to like those quieter moments from this band, I don't particularly like the trend. That's why I keep making the statement. I mean, feel free to disagree with me and have the opinion that the quiet ones are often the worst. But I don't think that it should be perplexing to anyone that someone who likes the quiet songs is noting that they keep getting voted out early, because, for the most part, they have been.

Personally, I'm not a genre stickler, and I think that might be what distinguishes me from other fans of the band. I was first drawn in to Nightwish by the symphonic bombast, and I absolutely love that about their style, but it wasn't what ultimately kept me around. It was Tuomas's songwriting that really keeps me following this band. I love that they keep making symphonic metal, because it's a really cool style of music and works well with Tuomas's songwriting style. But I'm not at all wedded to that style, and that's why I gladly embrace all of the quiet symphonic stuff or celtic elements that they want to throw in there. That's all good, too, and for me it's ultimately the songwriting that matters (not to say that the style isn't important, though, because I really do love their style).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 10:46:48 PM »
I didn't participate in the DPP survivor, but I admit those results were some of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. The Islander is incredible, and one of my favorite songs on the record.

I like Taikatalvi quite a bit as well, though I do understand the votes for it, as it might not stand as well on its own as it does in the context of the album.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 12:11:15 AM »
Ok.. I get it now..

Feel free to disagree with me and have the opinion that the quiet ones are often the worst. But I don't think that it should be perplexing to anyone that someone who likes the quiet songs is noting that they keep getting voted out early, because, for the most part, they have been.

I don't disagree with you in that.. I don't prefer the rest of the songs over the quiets just because.. (eg: In Oceanborn and Wishmaster -their two best albums IMO- I have Swanheart and Dead Boy's Poem -definitely a calm and quiet song- at the top, and Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean and FantasMic at the bottom..) I may like a song for many factors, not being one of them the fact that is more peaceful than the average songs..

And, as you said it before ("I've been doing this over-the-top scandalized act for the whole roulette") you're not just 'noting' that these kind of songs are being eliminated: you're trying to establish that they are being voted because they are calm.. And that's the mistake.. Maybe they're least favorites for most people because they don't like them as much as the rest of the song in the album, whether these are quiet or not (as simple and complex as that).. I said this some time ago in this survivor: Nightwish's light side is, IMO, several steps below than DT's, and many other bands..

Completely agree about the last paragraph.. Tuomas is one of the best composers I know..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline 425

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 03:04:34 PM »
Okay, sorry if I was unclear: I am not trying to establish that they are being voted because they are calm. I'm joking about the trend that all the calm songs go down early. Sort of like saying "here we go again." I'm not trying to imply anything about why people are voting for them.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 03:12:20 PM »
I admit that I voted most of the quiet songs early in these.  Reason why is I dont find the NW ballads to be very good overall.  I find it to be NW's biggest fault as I generally do enjoy ballads.  More specifically, the older the ballad the least I like it.  I think the ballads got better as the band went on and I think DPP has the best NW ballads.  That's just my opinion on their music.