Author Topic: S*** just got real! (Giant Robot Duel)  (Read 6022 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: S*** just got real! (Giant Robot Duel)
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2015, 06:24:54 AM »
I'm talking about the show a couple of years ago called Robot Combat League, hosted by Chris Jericho. The robot interface was identical to that, not sure about the robots though, but it looks like they're related. The robots appeared to be designed to break down and shoot sparks and fluid upon the slightest touch for dramatic effect.

We must be talking about the same show. One guy built all twelve (or how ever many there were) robots in the competition.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 06:30:19 AM »
I'm talking about the show a couple of years ago called Robot Combat League, hosted by Chris Jericho. The robot interface was identical to that, not sure about the robots though, but it looks like they're related. The robots appeared to be designed to break down and shoot sparks and fluid upon the slightest touch for dramatic effect.

We must be talking about the same show. One guy built all twelve (or how ever many there were) robots in the competition.

Yeah, sounds like the same one. I watched the whole series, and it had a lot of potential, but it was kinda lame.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 07:07:54 AM »

Yeah, sounds like the same one. I watched the whole series, and it had a lot of potential, but it was kinda lame.

Crickets

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35984.msg1520111#msg1520111

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 07:11:48 AM »
Don't know how I missed the thread at the time. Sorry to leave you hanging. :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 07:02:28 AM »
2/3 of the way to goal with 24 more days to go. I think that's fantastic, but part of me was hoping for way more.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/megabots/support-team-usa-in-the-giant-robot-duel?ref=nav_search

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2015, 08:01:48 AM »
I just pledged.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 10:09:21 AM »
I didn't pledge. No sense in funding a lost cause.  ;)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2015, 10:18:46 AM »
The key to securing my pledge was the video showing who has signed on to help with the design and construction. It gave me a bit more confidence in where this project is going...win or lose.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
I didn't pledge. No sense in funding a lost cause.  ;)

World-wide promotion of science and technology is a win win for everyone. 

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »
Of course! At the end of the day, most everyone will walk away with just that sentiment, including myself. However, in the end, there still will be a winner, and a loser. I'm just picking sides.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 06:14:44 AM »
Funded as of this morning!!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 03:40:21 PM »
 :tup

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2015, 08:12:32 AM »
My T-shirt for donating arrived yesterday.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2015, 08:13:32 AM »
 :lol :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »
Nice! I got all my swag about two weeks ago, got a bunch of stickers, a cool poster, and a few other goodies. I would have loved to pledge enough for the shirt, but in that same week I backed Reboot the Suite and the Bill Nye film as well. I really hope this fight works out well for both countries.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2017, 10:52:53 AM »
Got my email this morning! Pumped. I hope this isn't a good fight with some serious carnage, preferably on the deck of an aircraft carrier in the middle of the Pacific.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2017, 10:55:29 AM »
After 5 minutes of watching YT videos, my money is on Japan, based mostly on the reaction speed of Karatas's driver. Moreover, it's already a functional platform. Watching the US robot spend a few minutes just picking a car up (and not ripping it in half) didn't fill me with confidence.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 11:00:10 AM »
I've been following Team USA's build since backing the Kickstarter. They built a cool bot, but I think they're going to get wrecked. I'm hoping this turns into an annual event with many countries competing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »
Off topic but Japanese Sumo Robots!

3:45 is just glorious!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »

One of the engineers/drivers proposing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2017, 01:39:47 PM »
Off topic but Japanese Sumo Robots!

3:45 is just glorious!  :lol

Some of that was absolutely hilarious.  Holy fucking fast reaction time the controllers must have.  Wow.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2017, 06:05:24 AM »
So apparently the fight has happened, and there will be video soon? (no word on the winner)
This shit should have been live.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Giant Robot Duel
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2017, 06:47:40 AM »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2017, 07:57:55 AM »
So apparently the fight has happened, and there will be video soon? (no word on the winner)

Well, since this is a very early stage of robot fighting I guess it made sense not to broadcast it since it could have been a complete disaster. I hope the videos are fun and portray something close to what it really was.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2017, 08:03:11 AM »

Well, since this is a very early stage of robot fighting I guess it made sense not to broadcast it since it could have been a complete disaster. I hope the videos are fun and portray something close to what it really was.

That was their logic, and I get it, but I think people would have been understanding if there were delays for technical problems, and the novelty would have made up for that. The worst part for me is that they never announced a clear date or info or even that we wouldn't get to see it live as far as I'm aware, then afterwards were just like "so yeah, it's already happened and you missed it but eventually I guess you'll get a video of it". That really deflated the whole thing for me.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2017, 08:04:03 AM »

Doing it live could have potentially been a disaster.

1) They're trying to turn this into a legitimate sport and having a shitshow of a first live airing could have killed the idea from the get go.
2) This was trial #1. From what I've read, the fight consisted of multiple rounds with 1 round being fought per day (and not at the same time). There wasn't really a schedule and making sure the drivers remained safe and the bots worked as intended was the most important thing. Had they gone live and in the first 20 seconds a bot had a wire cut and the fight ended, everyone would be up in arms about that.

I'm waiting until they release the video before making my final judgement, but I'm thinking this was the right call.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2020, 12:17:02 PM »
So of course Japan has a Gundam Factory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYirnOIzEa4