Author Topic: In case you didn't appreciate Jeff Porcaro enough yet  (Read 945 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: In case you didn't appreciate Jeff Porcaro enough yet
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 04:00:49 PM »
I already appreciated The Porcaro  :metal His drumming on Dire Straits' " On Every Street " album is tasteful perfection.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 05:47:31 PM »
So i'm not sure I understand what they're talking about but I guess they don't simply mean subtle Hi-Hat accents or phrases that you might do subconsciously ever 8th, 12 or 16th bar or over a new period or something like that? I mean every drummer that played for a long time usually have a feel for periods in music without counting bars, you feel when something changes in the music and therefor a drummer might phrase that in someway in the groove/beat without really thinking about it, i'm not talking about fills. Probably not at all what they're talking about though....
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 04:40:36 AM »
 :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 04:53:28 AM »
So few drummers have that innate ability to swing.  The grove.  They can transform a 4/4 beat to something more. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 10:07:12 AM »
A while ago I watched several YT videos of guys playing the Rosanna shuffle. Stunningly, none of them succeeded in creating that fluffy lightness Porcaro had.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 10:30:03 AM »
A while ago I watched several YT videos of guys playing the Rosanna shuffle. Stunningly, none of them succeeded in creating that fluffy lightness Porcaro had.
Shannon Forrest, the touring drummer for Toto is the closest thing to Jeff the band has ever had. He was amazing when I saw them on the current tour. It was like seeing and hearing Jeff play with less mullet though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 11:19:58 AM »

It's effortless to our eyes.  It's all in the wrists. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 01:09:22 PM »
So few drummers have that innate ability to swing.  The grove.  They can transform a 4/4 beat to something more.

apparently he could transform a 4/4 beat into a group of trees.  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 01:30:45 PM »
One little "o" missing and the shame I feel.   :lol