Author Topic: RIP Sir Nicholas Winton  (Read 567 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
RIP Sir Nicholas Winton
« on: July 01, 2015, 04:07:17 PM »
I just thought it would be nice to honour a genuine hero who died at the age of 106 today.

Nicholas Winton is known for organising the rescue of 669 Czech children from Nazi-occupied Czechoslovakia during the 9 months before war broke out in 1939. After the war, Winton did not discuss his efforts with anyone; his wife only found out what he had done when she discovered a scrapbook in their attic in 1988, detailing the children's parents and the families that took them in. The British press dubbed him the "British Schindler". The story became known to the public in 1988 when it featured on That’s Life, a BBC TV programme hosted by Esther Rantzen. In 2003 he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II for Services to Humanity for this work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nFuJAF5F0

The fact that he kept it a secret for over 40 years is incredible.

RIP Nicholas

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: RIP Sir Nicholas Winton
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 04:17:31 PM »
Well, TBH, I had never heard of him, but what he did was incredible.

Thank you for your life.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol