Author Topic: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread  (Read 92675 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread
« Reply #805 on: May 11, 2016, 09:26:25 AM »
I cannot concentrate on anything at all today. All I want it to be is 7:00. I'm so anxious and ready to watch this game 7. I'm cautiously optimistic we can pull it out but really just hope that the Blues play a solid "good" game, with their typical effort that they did all season. If they do I don't think Dallas can handle that....actually I know they can't. Just don't want to see the Blues take a period or a couple shifts off and allow Dallas to take advantage of that....that's what'll drive me insane.

gonna be a long 8-1/2 hours....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: May 11, 2016, 10:12:31 AM »
Nothing but respect for the Pengiuns.  A lot of Caps fans are talking about this team collapsing (again), but I don't think that's the case. Sure the Caps won the President's Trophy, but it's clear that Pittsburgh was the better team during the last part of the season.  To me, this isn't a failure like losing to an 8 seed in the first round. They lost to a formidable opponent and went down swinging.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #807 on: May 11, 2016, 11:19:34 AM »
Nothing but respect for the Pengiuns.  A lot of Caps fans are talking about this team collapsing (again), but I don't think that's the case. Sure the Caps won the President's Trophy, but it's clear that Pittsburgh was the better team during the last part of the season.  To me, this isn't a failure like losing to an 8 seed in the first round. They lost to a formidable opponent and went down swinging.

Agreed completely. Two really good teams that battled it out over a hard fought series.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #808 on: May 11, 2016, 04:38:24 PM »
The hockey fan in me thinks a Bolts/Caps rivalry game in the Conference Finals would've been awesome, but the Lighting fan in me says FUCK OVECHKIN!

Bolts/Pens series will be fun. Crosby vs Bishop

Lets. Go. BOLTS.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #809 on: May 11, 2016, 05:55:46 PM »
I guess I'll cheer for the Pens here. Hate the Bolts too much. Also Matt Murray bringing the cup to Thunder Bay as a rookie goaltender would be the coolest! Sharks are my overall team atm though unless they get eliminated.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:45:24 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: May 11, 2016, 06:47:05 PM »
You're fucking kidding me

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: May 11, 2016, 06:48:13 PM »
More horse shit for a horse shit rule

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #812 on: May 11, 2016, 06:48:28 PM »
That's a pretty ballsy review/rescinding of a goal. It isn't really possible to be any closer to onsides and still be "offisides." Not sure how i feel about that, but just as I type this it doesn't seem to matter as they got the goal right back.

Also, two HORRIBLE goals for Lehtonen to give up, even if only one counted. Two bad angle, stoppable pucks.

And I really dislike the "coach's challenge on offsides" rule.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #813 on: May 11, 2016, 06:51:22 PM »
Well...Lehtonen is killing his team tonight.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #814 on: May 11, 2016, 06:52:04 PM »
Maybe that rescinding is what motivated them to score two more. :lol You never know.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #815 on: May 11, 2016, 06:53:03 PM »
I guess I'll cheer for the Pens here. Hate the Bolts too much. Also Matt Murray bringing the cup to Thunder Bay as a rookie goaltender would be the coolest! Sharks are my overall team atm though unless they get eliminated.

Just curious, why do you not like the Lightning if you are a Sharks fan? East Coast-West Coast Rival Bay Areas? Lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #816 on: May 11, 2016, 06:54:42 PM »
3-0 and should be 4-0.  I stand by what I have said all along: the Blues best is better than the Stars best.  The Blues just need to play their game for another 40.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: May 11, 2016, 06:55:25 PM »
That's a pretty ballsy review/rescinding of a goal. It isn't really possible to be any closer to onsides and still be "offisides." Not sure how i feel about that, but just as I type this it doesn't seem to matter as they got the goal right back.

Also, two HORRIBLE goals for Lehtonen to give up, even if only one counted. Two bad angle, stoppable pucks.

And I really dislike the "coach's challenge on offsides" rule.

I hate it for those like that one and the other one we were screwed on that are a matter of centimeters. The rule was written and states for "egregious" offsides, of which that one and the one against Chicago was not.

But I'm happy to see the Blues keep the pedal to the metal. Need 40 More minutes of solid hockey.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #818 on: May 11, 2016, 06:58:31 PM »
Okay, this is ridiculous. Either a play is offsides or it is not. You can't just randomly decide if something is offside "enough". The right call was made.

That said, it doesn't look like it will matter, the Stars are gift-wrapping this game for the Blues. Allen will come in for the 2nd period, but I doubt it will be enough unless the Blues take their foot off the pedal. Or, you know, if they take 3 delay of game penalties in 3 minutes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: May 11, 2016, 07:00:57 PM »
Okay, this is ridiculous. Either a play is offsides or it is not. You can't just randomly decide if something is offside "enough". The right call was made.

That said, it doesn't look like it will matter, the Stars are gift-wrapping this game for the Blues. Allen will come in for the 2nd period, but I doubt it will be enough unless the Blues take their foot off the pedal. Or, you know, if they take 3 delay of game penalties in 3 minutes.

It was offsides according to the rule. The rule needs to be amended to enforce egregious.

Second, there's no gift wrapping going on. The Blues are just outplaying them to this point.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #820 on: May 11, 2016, 07:09:53 PM »
The Blues are outplaying them, but Lethtonen gave them those goals, including the disallowed one. I think if Niemi had started, it would be closer, but STL would still be up.

As far as the offsides rule, yeah the right call might have been made but the interpretation of the rule is becoming exactly like the crease rule was in 96-97. There were playoff games determined by crease violations when a minute fraction of the toe of an uninvolved player's skate was hovering over the crease line. Here we have a playoff game seven getting paused and possibly derailed because of a longshot coach's challenge that turned out to be correct by 2mm. In hindsight it hasn't mattered much in this case because STL is taking it to them, but that was not an egregious offsides, and those couple millimeters didn't have any real impact on the play. If Tarasenko had gotten a clearer path to the goal or somehow beaten a defenseman BECAUSE of the offside step he had, then yes, it's egregious offsides and deserves review. This felt like Dallas grasping at a straw to staunch the bleeding that happened to work. For 2 minutes.

I dislike the rule, even if the right call was made.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #821 on: May 11, 2016, 07:12:01 PM »
No, the rule should not be amended. You want Toronto just using their judgment when something is egregious or not? You want to bring the same inconsistency that can be seen with things like incidental contact to the offsides call? There is a clear line, and clear rules on what is and is not offsides. We have the ability to make the right call. There is no reason to settle for less on this.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #822 on: May 11, 2016, 07:14:32 PM »
Settle down there, sir. I said I dislike the rule and stated why I dislike it. I don't like coach's challenges, in any sport.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #823 on: May 11, 2016, 07:19:46 PM »
I get that, I just don't like the idea of only enforcing something if it's obvious, when the right call can almost always be made.

And there is another soft goal. I'm not saying the Blues aren't playing well, but they aren't playing 4-0 well better than the Blues. The Stars goaltending has cost them this game.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #824 on: May 11, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »

Just curious, why do you not like the Lightning if you are a Sharks fan? East Coast-West Coast Rival Bay Areas? Lol
I'm actually a Hab fan. Just a Sharks fan for the time being in the playoffs. ;) As for reasoning, I find I just naturally grow to dislike a team when we play them in the playoffs, and doing it twice in a short span just makes it stronger. :lol That and I despise Ben Bishop.

I get that, I just don't like the idea of only enforcing something if it's obvious, when the right call can almost always be made.

And there is another soft goal. I'm not saying the Blues aren't playing well, but they aren't playing 4-0 well better than the Blues. The Stars goaltending has cost them this game.
Basically what I expected to happen to the Stars these playoffs. If they get good goaltending, they will be a huge threat. With their current goaltending, they aren't a contender, while the Blues are true contenders.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: May 11, 2016, 07:26:26 PM »

Just as the Blues goalie cost them the last one.

As far as the goals....create the chances and see what happens.

As far as the rule. I hate it merely because it's cost StL two goals now, one of which cost them a W.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: May 11, 2016, 07:29:37 PM »
What a dive by Benn   Wow.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: May 11, 2016, 07:40:44 PM »
Dallas playing Ytse Jam after StLs 5th goal on the PA

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #828 on: May 11, 2016, 07:50:43 PM »

That said, it doesn't look like it will matter, the Stars are gift-wrapping this game for the Blues. 

Wrong as usual. :lol

The Stars outplayed the Blues for about 10 minutes in the 1st, but other than that, the Blues have outplayed them. 

Goals in this series:

Blues 24
Stars 11

There is no doubt which team is better at this point. :tup :tup

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #829 on: May 11, 2016, 08:00:05 PM »
Man, I was really looking forward to this game and now it's not even interesting any more  :lol Happy for the Blues though, I hope they go on to win the cup.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: May 11, 2016, 08:01:14 PM »
Tough 20 minutes coming up. C'mon boys.....keep the hammer down!

Man, I was really looking forward to this game and now it's not even interesting any more  :lol Happy for the Blues though, I hope they go on to win the cup.

It ain't over til the buzzer sounds. I'd treat this period like it was 0-0 if i were the Blues.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #831 on: May 11, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »
Don't mean to "jinx" you guys, but it's all but impossible for them to lose.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: May 11, 2016, 08:06:15 PM »
Don't mean to "jinx" you guys, but it's all but impossible for them to lose.

I will hunt you down....... :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #833 on: May 11, 2016, 08:16:13 PM »

That said, it doesn't look like it will matter, the Stars are gift-wrapping this game for the Blues. 

Wrong as usual. :lol

The Stars outplayed the Blues for about 10 minutes in the 1st, but other than that, the Blues have outplayed them. 

Goals in this series:

Blues 24
Stars 11

There is no doubt which team is better at this point. :tup :tup

Dear lord, not everything is a slight against your team. Yes, you've been the better team in this series, and in this game, but that doesn't mean the Stars didn't give up some very soft goals in this game.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #834 on: May 11, 2016, 08:31:05 PM »
Hey, can we at least agree that the Stars goaltenders did absolutely nothing to prevent that 6th goal? :biggrin:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: May 11, 2016, 08:32:54 PM »
Hey, can we at least agree that the Stars goaltenders did absolutely nothing to prevent that 6th goal? :biggrin:

:lol

I'm impressed with Elliot. Shaking off game 6 and showing up to play hard tonight. As a Blurs fan this game was quite a statement.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #836 on: May 11, 2016, 08:40:47 PM »
You guys
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: May 11, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »
 :biggrin:  :metal

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #838 on: May 11, 2016, 09:11:12 PM »
Thank you Nick for using your head to type posts. Not calling a play offside because it's "not off by much" would be the same as calling a goal in if it was 3/4 over the line because it's "close enough."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #839 on: May 11, 2016, 09:15:19 PM »
I'm not sure that play tonight was offsides. They kept showing the replay that showed with his skate was up, but at the same time, the puck was well in the zone.  They never did a freeze frame of the exact moment when the puck was in the zone to where we could see if his skate really was off the ice.  Too close to call, but I am clearly partial here. :lol :lol

Anyway, awesome win tonight.  Conference Finals, baby!! :metal :metal