Author Topic: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread  (Read 92684 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread
« Reply #665 on: May 05, 2016, 04:09:22 AM »
Now the bad feelings that Pittsburgh is gonna win it all are starting to come up. The Caps need to steal this series because I don't think I can deal with the Pens in another round.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #666 on: May 05, 2016, 06:31:53 AM »
Now the bad feelings that Pittsburgh is gonna win it all are starting to come up. The Caps need to steal this series because I don't think I can deal with the Pens in another round.

Well the road looks good for them if they can close out the Caps.

Watching tonight, the Caps just look like the better team, but they are now an OT goal against away from being down 3 games to 1.

Honestly this has been a weird series in this regard. Last night they showed a stat for the number of minutes the series has been tied (a lot), the number of minutes the Pens have been leading (also a big number) and then the number of minutes the Caps have been leading (smaller number I think only like 30 some minutes of the series so far). But, even as a Pens fan, I'll admit my boys have not been playing their best throughout this series and I feel like the Caps have been carrying a lot of the play...But they are down 3-1 and have only held the lead in games for a short amount of time.

Couple things that I think have been causing this, (1) Murry has been really good in goal, (2) a lot of their (Caps) possessions result in perimeter shots where the goalie has a clear line of sight to the puck, and (3) I think they are trying to overemphasize their size and are being overly physical. I've seen many instances throughout this series where the Caps seem more worried about hitting someone than tracking the puck. They are a bigger team than the Pens, who are built on skill and speed, but the Caps are also highly skilled and it seems they have gotten away from that to a degree.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #667 on: May 05, 2016, 07:41:52 AM »
Now the bad feelings that Pittsburgh is gonna win it all

Ehh....I still think ANY of the remaining teams from the West can beat ANY of the remaining teams in the East in a Seven Game series. They may have a clear path to playing for the Cup...but I can't see an Eastern Conference Team beating any of these Western conference teams.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #668 on: May 05, 2016, 08:01:58 AM »

Ehh....I still think ANY of the remaining teams from the West can beat ANY of the remaining teams in the East in a Seven Game series. They may have a clear path to playing for the Cup...but I can't see an Eastern Conference Team beating any of these Western conference teams.

I think Pitt is the only East team that might have a chance.  I still can't see NYI as a legit contender, and TB is just too beat up to be successful on their 2nd attempt.  Wash... well, they've got a hard enough chore just to get out of this round.

I'm really looking forward to a SJ/StL western final!  Though, I'm not sure my sleep patterns are looking forward to it!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #669 on: May 05, 2016, 08:19:10 AM »
I think the Pens could certainly beat any of the remaining Western Conference teams in the finals.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: May 05, 2016, 08:26:52 AM »
I think the Pens could certainly beat any of the remaining Western Conference teams in the finals.

I agree. Would be silly to discount them after what we've seen.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #671 on: May 05, 2016, 08:35:34 AM »
If there is one thing I've learned in my years of watching hockey, it's that you can never discount any team until they are officially eliminated. You can analyze and expect anything, but if a goalie gets hot, or someone gets hurt, or just in the time of getting through the playoffs a team matures in a way you didn't expect, fortunes can turn around. I think anyone who makes it to the Final has a legitimate shot to win it all. Everyone thought Detroit would steamroll NJ in '95, but they got steamrolled themselves. Everyone thought Philly would steamroll Detroit in '97, and THEY got steamrolled. It all comes down to the games as they are played, and that's what makes it so fucking exciting and awesome.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #672 on: May 05, 2016, 08:52:39 AM »
If there is one thing I've learned in my years of watching hockey, it's that you can never discount any team until they are officially eliminated. You can analyze and expect anything, but if a goalie gets hot, or someone gets hurt, or just in the time of getting through the playoffs a team matures in a way you didn't expect, fortunes can turn around. I think anyone who makes it to the Final has a legitimate shot to win it all. Everyone thought Detroit would steamroll NJ in '95, but they got steamrolled themselves. Everyone thought Philly would steamroll Detroit in '97, and THEY got steamrolled. It all comes down to the games as they are played, and that's what makes it so fucking exciting and awesome.

I couldn't agree more with you!  I'm just saying, current course and speed, the East looks collectively weaker than the West.  But you're absolutely right - hell Edmonton making it to game 7 final against Carolina back in '06 was entirely unexpected as well.  Ditto with Calgary/TB in '04.  Hot goalies can make all the difference.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #673 on: May 05, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »

Agreed. The last team to win from the east was Boston...who played like a western conference team. And they beat a Vancouver team (thankfully!) that played like an eastern conference team. I don't care who represents the east, cause the cup final is over in 5 games. Maybe 6 if Nashville somehow wins the west.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #674 on: May 05, 2016, 09:26:24 AM »
I'm surprised at the overwhelming favoritism to the western conference winning the cup when we don't even know who will be playing in the finals yet.  :lol

Seriously though, just because of the time zone difference, I haven't watched a ton of western conference games this year, anyone care to enlighten me on why they think the western conference team (whoever that will be) will win it all? 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: May 05, 2016, 09:37:55 AM »

I couldn't agree more with you!  I'm just saying, current course and speed, the East looks collectively weaker than the West.  But you're absolutely right - hell Edmonton making it to game 7 final against Carolina back in '06 was entirely unexpected as well.  Ditto with Calgary/TB in '04.  Hot goalies can make all the difference.

I'm not saying that an Eastern Conference team CAN'T win it. Certainly a hot goalie or a team that is just on fire can win it all. But, judging from the Hockey I've seen being played....right now IMO the hockey that is being played in the West by all teams seems to be "better" than the East's style. The 'heavy' physical games with tight D and hounding forechecking is more prevalent with the West teams. Not that the East teams can't or won't do that but the West teams basically play playoff style hockey all year.

Pitt looks good and certainly could beat any of the teams left if they are playing well. But, the same can be said about all the remaining teams....and with all things being equal I'm still taking Western Conference over The East as Stanley cup champs. Hopefully it's the BLUUUUUEEESSSS!!!!!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #676 on: May 05, 2016, 09:45:53 AM »
I'm not saying that an Eastern Conference team CAN'T win it. Certainly a hot goalie or a team that is just on fire can win it all. But, judging from the Hockey I've seen being played....right now IMO the hockey that is being played in the West by all teams seems to be "better" than the East's style. The 'heavy' physical games with tight D and hounding forechecking is more prevalent with the West teams. Not that the East teams can't or won't do that but the West teams basically play playoff style hockey all year.

Pitt looks good and certainly could beat any of the teams left if they are playing well. But, the same can be said about all the remaining teams....and with all things being equal I'm still taking Western Conference over The East as Stanley cup champs. Hopefully it's the BLUUUUUEEESSSS!!!!!

Team's have been trying to beat the Pens by playing "heavy" or "physical" against them since they started to heat up when the coaching change was made earlier this season. The result is the Pens winning like 20 of their last 24 or something close to that, spanning the regular season (a mix of west and east teams) and into the playoffs. Part of the reason I think the Caps are losing to the Pens right now is because they are trying to play "heavy" or "physical" and it isn't working.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: May 05, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »
^^^maybe it's because those teams are 'trying' to play like that. That's just how the Blues and Sharks play. I would like my chances against Pitt due to the fact that the Blues are used to playing heavy and hard against everyone.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #678 on: May 05, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »
Yeah I dunno, maybe you are right. I guess it comes down to me not always buying into this philosophy that physically teams always win in the playoffs. I think skilled teams can beat physically teams in the playoffs, the skilled teams just have to weather the storm of physicality, just like the Pens are currently doing...

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #679 on: May 05, 2016, 11:09:43 AM »
Some of the most stifling, stingy defenses that have won the Cup in recent years relied on positional play over physicality. The trap and left wing lock were so effective because you didn't need to bash and bruise to shut down the play.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: May 05, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »
The only way to combat skilled teams like Pitt is to beat them up. If you can then you'll probably win. But if they can elude your game plan those dudes will light it up. It's a track meet vs a rugby game. I prefer the physicality of battling for every square inch and don't think a handful of Pitts players can handle that type of game. Who knows.

All I know is the Blues are only up 2-1 on Dallas and it'd behoove them to win tonight and keep their foot on the gas. I don't think Dallas has another level and think we've seen their best, and handled it. I think this series is the Blues to lose....not Dallas' to win.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #681 on: May 05, 2016, 11:16:16 AM »
Great game last night. If the Penguins can hold on (I'm still nervous) then Murray has to be the Conn Smythe favourite going forward.

As much as I've never liked Ovechkin since he came into the league, the last few years I've come to respect him greatly. Aside from the second and third periods of game 3, he's looked lost out there. If he played every shift like game 3 he's a beast and near unstoppable. But it's not just Ovi, the entire team looks like passengers in this series. Where's Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Williams, Oshie (since game 1)? Holtby's looked like a minor leaguer at times, and I know since Christmas his numbers were down a bit after his miraculous start to the season, but he's still better than this.

As for the Pens. Great game by Daley, Domoulin, even Schultz, who I was enraged when they traded for him. Malkin is playing great, even though I think it's obvious he's still battling injury, Cullen is playing like he's 23 again, the third and fourth lines as a whole have been the two best lines this series. And even though Crosby hasn't been producing, since game 1 where he was invisible, I thought he's played pretty good given how much attention he his getting at all times. I love seeing him smash his stick there after the slash from Ovi, it shows how passionate he is, and you could tell that in that instant he truly thought his playoffs were done. I thought he broke his hand or wrist myself, but thankfully it sounds like the devil of all stingers. If this sparks him to playing like he did against the NYR then Washington has no chance to come back.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #682 on: May 05, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
The only way to combat skilled teams like Pitt is to beat them up. If you can then you'll probably win. But if they can elude your game plan those dudes will light it up. It's a track meet vs a rugby game. I prefer the physicality of battling for every square inch and don't think a handful of Pitts players can handle that type of game. Who knows.

All I know is the Blues are only up 2-1 on Dallas and it'd behoove them to win tonight and keep their foot on the gas. I don't think Dallas has another level and think we've seen their best, and handled it. I think this series is the Blues to lose....not Dallas' to win.

I think the Pens are very misunderstood in this regard. Crosby, for his all world talent, really plays like a third liner...always grinding down low, hard board play, tough battles. He's made a living off of it. And Malkin can be phsyical if he's provoked. He plays a higher skilled game than Crosby, but doesn't shy away from physicality. Then guys like Kunitz, Hornqvist add to that, and the guys that don't muck it up are FAST. I don't want to say who would win, but western teams will have their hands full with the Pens if they make it, especially if they are taken for granted as the Caps seem to have done.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #683 on: May 05, 2016, 11:53:05 AM »
And even though Crosby hasn't been producing, since game 1 where he was invisible, I thought he's played pretty good given how much attention he his getting at all times. I love seeing him smash his stick there after the slash from Ovi, it shows how passionate he is, and you could tell that in that instant he truly thought his playoffs were done. I thought he broke his hand or wrist myself, but thankfully it sounds like the devil of all stingers. If this sparks him to playing like he did against the NYR then Washington has no chance to come back.

I loved that sequence last night, it's everything you want to see from your captain in that scenario. He shows the passionate and emotion, but does it off the ice, not on the ice where it could damage his team's chances.

I think that's just fundamentally where you and I differ. You prefer the physicality of battle, I personally enjoy the excitement of high-octane skill. Neither approach is right or wrong just different. As for what approach different teams should take, it depends solely on your team's personnel. The Pens made several very intentional trades throughout this season to basically bring in as much skill and speed as possible; essentially going all in on those aspects of the game.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #684 on: May 05, 2016, 03:32:44 PM »
I have every confidence the Western teams can give Pittsburgh a good series, but unless the Capitals make a comeback, the Penguins will be in the finals. I'd certainly prefer to see the Islanders or Lightning in, but nothing either team has shown me gives me any hope they beat the Caps or Pens.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #685 on: May 05, 2016, 05:39:24 PM »
Have mentioned I hate that the playoffs don't reseed in the second round anymore? Matchups would be totally different.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #686 on: May 05, 2016, 06:33:09 PM »
 :rollin @ Tarasenko scoring on a huge breakaway while there are 6 Stars on the ice.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #687 on: May 05, 2016, 06:54:31 PM »
:rollin @ Tarasenko scoring on a huge breakaway while there are 6 Stars on the ice.

Yeah, that's pretty insane. Oddly enough had the delayed penalty been called, as it should have, the Blues may have circled back and waited for the goalie to vacate, keeping that goal from happening.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: May 05, 2016, 07:06:42 PM »

That was straight out of Patrick Kane's playbook.  :lol  hang back and count on your D to make a quick stop and feed you the puck. I hate that.....but I'll take it  ;)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #689 on: May 05, 2016, 07:16:35 PM »
That turned quickly...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: May 05, 2016, 07:18:33 PM »
That turned quickly...

One bad play. That won't be the final score though.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #691 on: May 05, 2016, 07:20:24 PM »
Of course not, but it's still a big momentum shift.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: May 05, 2016, 07:49:55 PM »
Of course not, but it's still a big momentum shift.

For a brief moment. Blues have more consistent pressure shift after shift and Dallas is relying on one shift here and there.

Bummer that turnover gave them a goal and disrupted the Blues flow for a few minutes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #693 on: May 05, 2016, 07:54:44 PM »
This will undoubtedly come back to bite me, but I am surprisingly not worried.  I have no doubt that the Blues are better than the Stars, so if we lose tonight, that just means it will take longer to win the series.  Crazy for a Blues fan to think that way, much less say/type it :lol, but there it is. :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: May 05, 2016, 08:04:49 PM »
This will undoubtedly come back to bite me, but I am surprisingly not worried.  I have no doubt that the Blues are better than the Stars, so if we lose tonight, that just means it will take longer to win the series.  Crazy for a Blues fan to think that way, much less say/type it :lol, but there it is. :biggrin:

Ehh...it's possible they lose this game tonight. Again, they missed some chances to make the game 2 or 3 to 0. But, I'm with you. And here's why. I don't think Dallas has another level...we've seen what they got. And we've seen that when the Blues are firing on all cylinders Dallas can't hang.

But....it takes 4 wins, right now we only have 2. I'm curious to watch the third period because for all intents and purposes the Blues could end the series by winning this period and this game.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #695 on: May 05, 2016, 08:12:41 PM »
Dallas may have the best offense, but they also have one of the worst goaltending tandems in the NHL. Honestly if you asked me before the playoffs to rank all the playoff teams by how much I thought they'd win the cup only Philly and Minnesota would place below them. You could expect them to win games but I just don't think they'd last through a whole playoff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: May 05, 2016, 08:24:01 PM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: May 05, 2016, 08:47:07 PM »
Ugh. OT. Where ANYTHING can happen.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: May 05, 2016, 09:09:21 PM »
Mother  :censored     Two F'n minutes cost them the game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #699 on: May 05, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
Blues have no one to blame but themselves. They should have been up 3 or 4-0 in the 1st, and they let Dallas up off the mat.  And now it's a series again.  Damn.