Author Topic: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread  (Read 93150 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread
« Reply #595 on: May 02, 2016, 02:15:50 PM »
^ No, that totally makes sense.  It's like if you're drunk and run a red light, then t-bone someone.  It should be penalty enough that you've got to repair your car and have your insurance rates go up, let alone your own personal hospital bills.  You don't deserve to be charged with DUI, vehicular manslaughter or anything like that.

Seems legit, right?

::) ::) ::)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: May 02, 2016, 02:22:05 PM »
I suppose it it would actually have been more entertaining had he not kept waking his daughter and I hadn't been as tired as I was.
When he watches the Ravens, every time something good happens he has to stand up and high five everyone near him who is willing, sometimes those who aren't willing. It's an experience. He is the main reason I am pulling against the Caps; I can't handle the thought of him for a year if they do, in fact, win the Cup.

Well, (sadly) at least he didn't stand up too much last year ;)

The Caps disallowed goal:  was it a penalty?  I semi-understood the goal being disallowed, but it sure looked to me that he had a lot of help in falling.  Was the penalty reviewable?

Next two games in all of the series should be killer.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #597 on: May 02, 2016, 03:08:01 PM »
I don't know if it was reviewable, the penalty was goalie interference. The premise was, delayed call for interference, therefore the moment the Caps touched up next (i.e., the shot) the play would be dead. No goal, puck in the net or not, result being a minor penalty for goaltender interference. The way it played out visually, to her, was that they waved off the goal and then decided to penalize the dude who fell. Even on review, I think they would have deemed he wasn't pushed into the goaltender and he didn't really make an effort to avoid contact either. His presence on Murray's back did have a direct impact on his ability to make the save, too. All criteria for a minor penalty.

Her logic was flawed and clouded because she was rooting for the Caps. She also feels that a minor penalty for too many men is too harsh; there should be a 1 minute penalty for that, citing the fact that illegal formation in football is only 5 yards, not 10.

Basically, a bunch of butthurt griping because the Caps came out on the short end this time.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #598 on: May 02, 2016, 03:53:17 PM »
In my opinion, and the opinion of the TV announcers, Kuznetsov wasn't pushed into Murray, and fell on top of him. Regardless of if it was intentional or not, that's a penalty by the book, so like you said, the play was dead as the Washington player who put it in the net touched it.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #599 on: May 02, 2016, 04:42:19 PM »
Yup. But you can't successfully argue that point to a somewhat bandwagon diehard sometime hockey fan.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline dparrott

« Reply #600 on: May 02, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »
What's with these game times?  Tomorrow's game in Nashville starts at 9ET and DAL/STL starts at 9:30ET?  Seems kinda late.  I was hoping the NSH game would start at 7ET so I can watch some of it at work. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #601 on: May 02, 2016, 05:29:17 PM »
Calder trophy race is stacked this year. I wouldn't have a problem with any of the 3 winning it.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #602 on: May 02, 2016, 05:59:24 PM »
Calder trophy race is stacked this year. I wouldn't have a problem with any of the 3 winning it.

I would have a big problem with McDavid winning it. Don't get me wrong, he is the best rookie, but the award is for rookie of the year, not rookie of half a season. If McDavid had played 65ish games he would have been a runaway winner without argument, but Panarin, Gostisbehere, and other guys like Larkin, Parayko, Eichel, are much more deserving because they produced over a full season.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #603 on: May 02, 2016, 06:45:42 PM »
It would be different, but he was the best by a decent margin, so I wouldn't argue with it. Also, saying Larkin produced over a full season is being very generous considering he disappeared for the last half. :P

Anyways, woooow Letang is dirty af this playoffs. And a hilarious dive right after his penalty. :lol
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:50:57 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #604 on: May 02, 2016, 07:10:16 PM »
I don't think Letang's hit was nearly as bad as Orpik's. If you watch the replay, his feet didn't leave the ice until after me made contact. If you've played hockey, or watch lots of replays of hits, skates will leave the ice after big contact because of the force of the hit. That being said, he did hit Johanssen's head pretty good before making contact with the shoulder. If the Orpik incident didn't happen, or Trotz's comments, I'd say he wouldn't get a suspension, but now he'll likely get a game, maybe 2.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #605 on: May 02, 2016, 07:25:27 PM »
I don't think Letang's hit was nearly as bad as Orpik's. If you watch the replay, his feet didn't leave the ice until after me made contact. If you've played hockey, or watch lots of replays of hits, skates will leave the ice after big contact because of the force of the hit. That being said, he did hit Johanssen's head pretty good before making contact with the shoulder. If the Orpik incident didn't happen, or Trotz's comments, I'd say he wouldn't get a suspension, but now he'll likely get a game, maybe 2.
Yeah it definitely isn't nearly as bad as Orpik's hit, which was straight brutal. One game would make sense.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #606 on: May 02, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »
It seems like the Caps face an unbeatable goalie every series they play. Matt Murray you may be a Thunder Bay boy but I hate you rn.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: May 02, 2016, 09:36:38 PM »
Hyperplex, Jarlaxle.....thanks for the helpful explanation on the Caps non goal.

Now, someone explain to me that second goal for the Pens tonight.  It never hurts to have some luck on your side.  And good goaltending.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #608 on: May 02, 2016, 09:41:59 PM »
Calder race is quite important to me, and while my pick is obvious, I truly believe in him.

Bit of history, Flyers have never had a Calder winner (or Art Ross for that matter), and have only have had 3 nominees. The last was in 1994 (Renberg). We've always been a win win win team, and have never really put ourselves in a position to have too many great young players for calder consideration.

Ghost came into the Flyers lineup and had an immediate impact. His first 15 or so goals all either tied a game or put the Flyers ahead a goal. He was an overtime wizard. He set pretty much every Flyers rookie defense record, and many league records. And here is the icing on the cake, he did if after seeing last season cut short by a very serious injury. He missed basically all of last season, got himself into game shape, got called up early and looked like he never missed a beat. And my favorite part about him is that for all his flair and offensive upside, he showed a GREAT defensive game, especially for a rookie. There were 2-3 games all season where there were some obvious rookie flops, but this kid gets back quick and makes a big difference.

All that said, as others have mentioned, it's a stacked year, and there isn't really a bad choice.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #609 on: May 02, 2016, 10:21:05 PM »
If it was judged by who was the most valuable to his team, Ghost would win the award without question.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #610 on: May 02, 2016, 11:24:07 PM »
If it was judged by who was the most valuable to his team, Ghost would win the award without question.

No doubt, and it'll hopefully be a big factor either way. Even when he was a PPG, McDavid and the Oilers didn't really do anything. And the bread man in Chicago who was older, and had more professional experience, AND was on a line with the Art Ross winner most of the year on a perennial powerhouse did really well. Not saying he wasn't great, but he had a LOT going in his favor.

I should just prepare for the worst and hire Gary to make my rage post when Ghost loses.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #611 on: May 03, 2016, 12:34:47 AM »
I think it's unfair to point at Panarin being on a line with Kane as an unfair advantage. The two simply have great chemistry, and Kane has a lot to thank Panarin for for his monster season. And I think him being 23 isn't a big deal, as it's very uncommon for someone that age to win it anyways. The NHL should recognize the KHL as a professional league though.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #612 on: May 03, 2016, 07:03:51 AM »
I should just prepare for the worst and hire Gary to make my rage post when Ghost loses.

I'll start a rough draft  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #613 on: May 03, 2016, 07:10:22 AM »
Hyperplex, Jarlaxle.....thanks for the helpful explanation on the Caps non goal.

Now, someone explain to me that second goal for the Pens tonight.  It never hurts to have some luck on your side.  And good goaltending.

What don't you understand? The puck was redirected off his shoulder. He did not make a distinct batting motion, which means the player-puck contact was inadvertent, therefore a good goal.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #614 on: May 03, 2016, 07:35:25 AM »
Big win at home by the Pens last night. Feels good to have a 2-1 series lead and be playing on home ice again on Wednesday. 

Couple areas of concern:

1. Letang - probably will get suspended for a game after that hit. This hurts the Pens bad, Tanger logs a ton of minutes, has been playing solid D and is great moving the puck up ice and joining the rush.

2. Rust - hopefully its nothing serious, but leaving the game like 19 seconds in and not coming back does not look good. He is a 4th liner, but part of the Pens strength has been the ability to roll 4 consistent lines.

3. Caps picked up momentum at the end of that game, hopefully that doesn't carry over.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #615 on: May 03, 2016, 09:23:14 AM »
Flames just fired Bob Hartley. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets the Ottawa or Boston job this summer.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: May 03, 2016, 09:40:22 AM »

What don't you understand? The puck was redirected off his shoulder. He did not make a distinct batting motion, which means the player-puck contact was inadvertent, therefore a good goal.

I guess that didn't come off as intended.  I meant it as a 'can you believe how lucky that goal was?' type of comment....not questioning whether it was good or not.  Certainly a fluke goal....but that's hockey.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #617 on: May 03, 2016, 09:43:20 AM »

I guess that didn't come off as intended.  I meant it as a 'can you believe how lucky that goal was?' type of comment....not questioning whether it was good or not.  Certainly a fluke goal....but that's hockey.

It was definitely puck luck, but it still was created from a good quality rush and Tom drove to the net exactly how he should have. So yes, lucky goal, but the boys on the ice were still doing the right things in order to generate chances at that point.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #618 on: May 03, 2016, 09:49:26 AM »
Flames just fired Bob Hartley. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets the Ottawa or Boston job this summer.
I don't think he's gonna get hired in Ottawa. I think Yeo or Boudreau will get it. I'm really hoping Boudreau will get it. He is proven and he has what it takes to get us back on track. Sadly, I think some other team will get him because Melnyk is a penny pincher. And there isn't an opening in Boston, although from what I've read, most fans think there should be.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #619 on: May 03, 2016, 10:11:18 AM »
I don't think he's gonna get hired in Ottawa. I think Yeo or Boudreau will get it. I'm really hoping Boudreau will get it. He is proven and he has what it takes to get us back on track. Sadly, I think some other team will get him because Melnyk is a penny pincher. And there isn't an opening in Boston, although from what I've read, most fans think there should be.

Ooops. Jumping the gun on the Boston vacancy. Julien is done for sure though. I don't see how he keeps his job another season. There's been too much chatter over the last 2 or 3 seasons for there not to be a fire beyond this smoke.

I agree that Boudreau is probably unlikely since he'll command a pretty high salary. He may also just take his time since Anaheim is still on the hook for the upcoming season. As a Sens fan, would you be happy with Mike Yeo behind the bench?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #620 on: May 03, 2016, 12:58:26 PM »
Letang suspended one game.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #621 on: May 03, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »
I thought they said they are sticking with him another season?

I wouldn't mind Yeo, but I live in Minnesota, so it would be weird for me to be talking about him here  :lol But he seems okay. I would prefer someone like Boudreau or Crawford. But as long as we have someone who is experienced, I will be happy.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #622 on: May 03, 2016, 01:26:53 PM »
I'm kinda surprised Crawford hasn't come back to the NHL yet, although I'm sure come teams would be reluctant to hire him given his reputation. Then again, Torts still keeps finding himself work in the NHL so who knows.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #623 on: May 03, 2016, 01:28:31 PM »

Not all that surprising, but I would've preferred he got 2 games. Then again, look at the team he plays for so....  ;)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #624 on: May 03, 2016, 01:43:03 PM »

Not all that surprising, but I would've preferred he got 2 games. Then again, look at the team he plays for so....  ;)

:lol I thought one game was fair, using Brooks recent suspension as a measuring stick. The Brooks hit was later and more direct to the head.

The weird thing about the situation is this; the Letang hit was literally clocked at 0.63 seconds after the puck left. I believe the rule is a late hit being more than 0.6 seconds. So the NHL is literally going off of 0.03 seconds... In the explanation from the NHL they specifically state that the reason for his suspension is the late hit, not because of head contact. So basically the league just created a standard that hits within 0.03 seconds of the allowable time-frame to hit a player are worth of suspension. 

If they actually called hits this way consistently, there will probably be like 10 players suspended from this series before it ends (obviously the league won't do this) and Ovie should have been suspended as well due to the multiple late hits he threw in that game. Don't get me wrong, as a Pens fan, I thought Letang should get suspended for a game for that hit, but because of head contact, not because of it being a late hit, that's a crazy precedent to set.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #625 on: May 03, 2016, 02:05:40 PM »
One game is completely fair.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #626 on: May 03, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »

:lol I thought one game was fair, using Brooks recent suspension as a measuring stick. The Brooks hit was later and more direct to the head.

The weird thing about the situation is this; the Letang hit was literally clocked at 0.63 seconds after the puck left. I believe the rule is a late hit being more than 0.6 seconds. So the NHL is literally going off of 0.03 seconds... In the explanation from the NHL they specifically state that the reason for his suspension is the late hit, not because of head contact. So basically the league just created a standard that hits within 0.03 seconds of the allowable time-frame to hit a player are worth of suspension. 

If they actually called hits this way consistently, there will probably be like 10 players suspended from this series before it ends (obviously the league won't do this) and Ovie should have been suspended as well due to the multiple late hits he threw in that game. Don't get me wrong, as a Pens fan, I thought Letang should get suspended for a game for that hit, but because of head contact, not because of it being a late hit, that's a crazy precedent to set.

That's kinda crazy. A late hit shouldn't ever be the reason for a suspension. They already have another penalty for late hits...it's called interference. It's the head shot that deserves the suspension, regardless of timing. What's also sad is that I'm pretty sure Letang has missed time for concussions, and yet he had no problem delivering a head shot to another player.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #627 on: May 03, 2016, 02:42:14 PM »
One game is completely fair.

I thought so.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #628 on: May 03, 2016, 08:02:41 PM »
NBC can suck it. I'm stuck watching TB and NY? WTF? Can't tell me they can't regionalize this feed and let me watch the Blues. This sucks.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #629 on: May 03, 2016, 08:04:39 PM »
Same here.  The NHL and NBC both suck monkey balls.  :censored :censored