Author Topic: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread  (Read 91050 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread
« Reply #945 on: May 20, 2016, 07:19:25 AM »
Big game in Florida tonight, if the Pens can come out strong and pick up where they left off in the second half of game 3, they could really start to tip the series in their favor.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #946 on: May 20, 2016, 08:49:49 AM »
Given the Sharks playoff history, I wouldn't panic Blues fans.  I hope this year will be different, but I've seen them get this far before and blow it.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #947 on: May 20, 2016, 08:55:37 AM »
Given the Sharks playoff history, I wouldn't panic Blues fans.  I hope this year will be different, but I've seen them get this far before and blow it.

If the Blues can split and make it a 2-2 series I have zero worries. Like I said, the Blues have yet to play well. "Some" is attributed to San Jose playing good right now but being that I've watched this team all year and have seen them do this no matter who they're playing.....it's more about them kicking it into gear. There's not a team out there that can handle the Blues 'A' game.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #948 on: May 20, 2016, 09:17:40 AM »
I think most fans would say that about their teams, just saying.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: May 20, 2016, 09:20:46 AM »
After watching TBay eliminate the Red Wings two years in a row, and make the finals last year, I simply noted how their speed was a big advantage.  Pittsburgh's speed was the difference against the Caps.  I thought that aspect would be equal in this series.  Mildly surprised that the Penguins have kicked it up yet another notch.

Blues-Sharks....can't judge because the games end too late.  I'm still expecting St. Louis to advance.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #950 on: May 20, 2016, 09:24:21 AM »
After watching TBay eliminate the Red Wings two years in a row, and make the finals last year, I simply noted how their speed was a big advantage.  Pittsburgh's speed was the difference against the Caps.  I thought that aspect would be equal in this series.  Mildly surprised that the Penguins have kicked it up yet another notch.

Honestly, as someone who has watched almost every Pens game this year. This team is simply hitting their stride at the right time. When the coaching change was made mid-season and some of the trades took effect, Pens fans began to see the improvement. The fast skilled team had gotten faster and more skilled. But most importantly, their new coach added a level of accountability that didn't seem to be present before.

What you are seeing now is a continuation of a fabulous end to the regular season as this team continues to improve.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: May 20, 2016, 10:28:32 AM »
I think most fans would say that about their teams, just saying.

Of course. And it still rings true here. I mentioned a few pages back that I could handle the Blues being eliminated if they didn't give games away. Well, they've given two games away by not having their best effort. San Jose's play has some part in that but they aren't playing so great where that's the only reason. They aren't the cause of the lack of jump in the Blues step or lack of hitting or any of the things the Blues do well. They look tired and it looks like they're paying the price for not eliminating Chicago and Dallas earlier when they had the chance.

Like I said, I won't begin to fire up rage mode unless they lose that game tomorrow night. I don't expect them to, and they will have accomplished all they needed to do and that is a split, change the momentum and make it a three game series in which I like our chances.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #952 on: May 20, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »
There is a huge difference between a team not playing a good game and a team not being able to play a good game because they are being stifled by the other team's game/system. I can't speak for the Blues/Sharks series because I've only watched one period of it, but IMO the Penguins aren't giving the Lightning a chance to play the game that makes them successful because they both play a similar game, just the Pens are playing it MUCH better, which gives the impression that the Lightning "haven't played their best game."

I'm sure the Sharks are doing the same thing to the Blues.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: May 20, 2016, 01:56:33 PM »
I'm sure the Sharks are doing the same thing to the Blues.

The Sharks look good but the way they are playing isn't the only reason the Blues are out of sorts. Like I said, I watched the Blues look this bad playing Edmonton right before the regular season ended. The Sharks clicking right now isn't making it easier, but the Blues players aren't executing either.....and that's not all due to the Sharks.

The better team wins the Best of 7 series....that's why it's the greatest tournament going. It's frustrating to watch the Blues struggle but this series is 2-1 San Jose right now, it's not over by a long shot. They've played good....but all it takes is the Blues to show up and play their game for 60 minutes and this series is tied and then it's a whole new ballgame. I expect the Blues to pull their heads out of their a$$es and play a full 60 minutes tomorrow night and even this series up.

To listen to the NBC douche bags they've all but handed this series to San Jose for playing three solid games....wasn't aware that won you the series. If the Sharks whip the Blues again tomorrow night and then find it in them not to choke again and finish them off....then good for Dark Castle and dparrot, seriously. I'd hope they'd go on to win it. But this ain't over yet....

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #954 on: May 20, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »
Ben Bishop is still ruled out. I don't think Vasilevskiy will able to handle the Pens if our defense doesnt support him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #955 on: May 20, 2016, 06:24:20 PM »
Given the Sharks playoff history, I wouldn't panic Blues fans.   

Honestly, I do not put a lot of stock into that.  I mean, how many current Sharks were on the team when they lost in previous CF's?

My theory on Blues/Sharks is that the Sharks stifling defense has zapped the energy out of the Blues.  It's like when a great offense in football runs into a D that can shut them down, which mentally gets to them, and all of a sudden, they look out of sorts and have trouble even making 1st downs sometimes.  That is what the Blues look like right now. Simple passes are missing the mark and they cannot create good scoring chances on any kind of regular basis.  Hitchcock and his coaching staff need to be spending every waking moment right now watching tape and figuring out ways to crack their D, otherwise this will be over in 5.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #956 on: May 20, 2016, 07:10:21 PM »
Elliot is out for game 4; Jake Allen will get the start.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #957 on: May 20, 2016, 07:46:41 PM »
I hope he can score some goals, otherwise I don't know what the fuck that will accomplish.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #958 on: May 20, 2016, 08:12:04 PM »
Bolts defense has stepped up, and playing better in front of Vasi. Great quick goal in the beginning of the game by Callahan, and now we're up 4-0!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #959 on: May 20, 2016, 08:13:56 PM »
I hope he can score some goals, otherwise I don't know what the fuck that will accomplish.

Probably trying to light a fire under the team's ass.  Elliot has let in some soft goals the last two games, but you can't win if you don't score.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #960 on: May 20, 2016, 08:41:34 PM »
Now we got a game... and a PP coming up.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: May 20, 2016, 08:42:15 PM »

Probably trying to light a fire under the team's ass.  Elliot has let in some soft goals the last two games, but you can't win if you don't score.

Yeah. This is purely a challenge to the team. Allen is more than capable so it's not a gamble putting him in, and this is what Hitchcock has done when the Blues had these spurts of lethargic games in the past. I like the move.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: May 20, 2016, 08:44:09 PM »
Buckle the fuck up!!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #963 on: May 20, 2016, 08:54:45 PM »
I've been saying a lot of these words the past 20 minutes

:censored  :censored  :censored  :censored  :censored  :censored  :censored  :censored

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: May 20, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »
What a furious finish.  Bolts were fortunate to hang on.

Now we got a series.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #965 on: May 20, 2016, 10:07:15 PM »
What a furious finish.  Bolts were fortunate to hang on.

Now we got a series.

I don't think I ever been so mad at Tampa Bay winning before. I can't believe we blew a big lead like that. A win is a win, and the series is now tied, and that's the ONLY thing i'm even remotely pleased about.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #966 on: May 21, 2016, 12:51:55 AM »
Honestly, I do not put a lot of stock into that.  I mean, how many current Sharks were on the team when they lost in previous CF's?

That doesn't matter, man!  You can say that about them losing in the playoffs this decade vs. the last.  It's their team history.   :lol 

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #967 on: May 21, 2016, 07:36:22 AM »

That doesn't matter, man!  You can say that about them losing in the playoffs this decade vs. the last.  It's their team history.   :lol

This San Jose teams feels different than the ones from the past though. They're playing with a lot more confidence and don't seem intimidated by the pressure. Once they beat the Kings (their biggest rival and playoff nemesis) in five games, they shook off the choking stigma and I can truly see this team winning it all if they get past the Blues. Of course, St. Louis also rid themselves of the choking stigma when eliminating THEIR biggest rival in the first round, but right now, they're not playing their best game. It may be because they're tired from two hard fought full seven game series but they need to step it up if they want to have any chance of getting past the Sharks.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline dparrott

« Reply #968 on: May 21, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »
You were saying???   WTF SHARKS???  So much for this game.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: May 21, 2016, 07:45:15 PM »
Was counting on a slew of BS penalty calls on the Blues in the third. Tarasenko gets ran from behind and no call them the same play twenty seconds later is called on the Blues.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: May 21, 2016, 08:03:16 PM »
Yeah the Sharks have been the better team thus far, but StL went to San Jose only needing to split, and they can still do that. Momentum is a curious thing. Not trying to take away from San Jose but the Blues have had stretches like this where they looked tired and lethargic. San Jose hasn't come close to tasting the Blues best....which IMO is better than any other teams best.

Saturday is a must win game, period. If we win it it's a tied series and how "great" San Jose has played really doesn't matter. If the Blues lose in a similar manner with lack of effort then I dont see them coming back from a 3-1 deficit, especially given their play.

The Blues have answered the call in every instance they needed to in the playoffs to this point, and I expect them to again. I still see this series going 7

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #971 on: May 21, 2016, 08:22:53 PM »
You were saying???   WTF SHARKS???  So much for this game.

Tonight had nothing to do with the Sharks choking, but everything to do with the Blues bringing their 'A' game. They are hard for anyone to beat when they play like did in the first two periods.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #972 on: May 22, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »
Not really worried, Sharks showed up in the 3rd, and most importantly didn't get shut out. Jones doesn't let one bad night get to him either, expect him to make many pants pop with joners on Monday

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: May 22, 2016, 03:32:10 PM »
Not really worried

That makes two of us. I highly doubt San Jose gets anything less than the effort the Blues gave last night and I'll take our chances against anyone in that case. sure there's the potential that San Jose can win the series....but I think they had their chance to bury the Blues and missed it. If they're gonna win this series I don't think it's gonna be the cake walk that a lot of folks were saying it'd be two days ago.

Sharks showed up in the 3rd, and most importantly didn't get shut out.

That game was over by the third period buzzer. Had Hitchcock not wasted his Time Out on an icing call he'd have challenged that Tierney goal and won because it was a very evident goalie interference when skating through the crease by Wingles. And, our defensmen put in a goal as well so it's not like it was some massive comeback effort. We handled the 'push' with ease and once the Blues shut down the PP again around the 8 minute mark that zapped the come back. Other than the 2 goals San Jose got on the PP when we had guys with broken sticks on both....we've handled that PP unit superbly.

I'm more interested int he fact that there's not a mention of the cheap shots by golden boys Burns and Thornton after the whistle. Burns literally punches Tarasenko in the gut while Tarasenko is face down with another San Jose player on top of him and Thorton throws a haymaker and smokes Petrangelo from behind for no reason other than being a dick.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: May 22, 2016, 03:40:22 PM »
Burns (there is no defense of this...at all)

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/status/734214259991662593/photo/1

Thornton  (this happens a lot but c'mon....Thornton gets all sorts of praise and respect, show some as well. Especially to a Veteran like Petro or don't be shocked when you get yours)

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/status/734184782850973696/video/1

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #975 on: May 22, 2016, 04:20:38 PM »
Blues players have tugged his beard and shit. Not a great thing to do by either of them but your Blues have laid some dirty shot out the entire series. I just wish the refs would call more consistently for both teams, they're just letting too much slide

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #976 on: May 22, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »
Not really worried

That makes two of us. I highly doubt San Jose gets anything less than the effort the Blues gave last night and I'll take our chances against anyone in that case. sure there's the potential that San Jose can win the series....but I think they had their chance to bury the Blues and missed it. If they're gonna win this series I don't think it's gonna be the cake walk that a lot of folks were saying it'd be two days ago.

Sharks showed up in the 3rd, and most importantly didn't get shut out.

That game was over by the third period buzzer. Had Hitchcock not wasted his Time Out on an icing call he'd have challenged that Tierney goal and won because it was a very evident goalie interference when skating through the crease by Wingles. And, our defensmen put in a goal as well so it's not like it was some massive comeback effort. We handled the 'push' with ease and once the Blues shut down the PP again around the 8 minute mark that zapped the come back. Other than the 2 goals San Jose got on the PP when we had guys with broken sticks on both....we've handled that PP unit superbly.

I'm more interested int he fact that there's not a mention of the cheap shots by golden boys Burns and Thornton after the whistle. Burns literally punches Tarasenko in the gut while Tarasenko is face down with another San Jose player on top of him and Thorton throws a haymaker and smokes Petrangelo from behind for no reason other than being a dick.
The Sharks didn't need to bury the Blues last night. The Blues have only played two periods better than the Sharks the entire series; it's been the SJ otherwise

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #977 on: May 22, 2016, 04:41:07 PM »
And yet the series is tied.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #978 on: May 22, 2016, 04:49:47 PM »
That's just the way the playoffs go. But I know that you know that Elliot and puck luck got the Blues the win in Game 1. Because the Sharks played like the team that won that game. But like I said, that's just the way it goes sometimes. If the Sharks can shake off a bad game in that same game, I'm not going to feel too worried about them. And you guys should feel good about two wins, even if Game 1's win was a bit of flukey luck and a goalie taking an entire team onto his back your team played great in the first two periods and held on in the third last night with some goals of their own.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: May 22, 2016, 04:55:13 PM »
The Sharks didn't need to bury the Blues last night. The Blues have only played two periods better than the Sharks the entire series; it's been the SJ otherwise

That makes no sense. Of course they needed to bury the Blues last night. I think we're all aware of what happens when you allow a team to hang around, especially a good one. If they'd have won that game last night it'd have been near impossible for the Blues to win this series. They didn't as the Blues responded to (IMO a must win) the challenge as they have every time these playoffs and delivered a solid game. The pressure might not have been on the Sharks to win last night but I guarantee you they wanted to and tried to.

As far as how many periods the Sharks have played better than the Blues, that's all out the window and really isn't relevant to anyone but the fans and pundits who thinks that is important. It's a 2-2 series where one of the teams has to win 2 of three. I'm sure we both like our teams chances at doing just that.....I know I do. 

I just wish the refs would call more consistently for both teams, they're just letting too much slide

Couldn't agree more. There's been some shots from both sides that were't called that should have been. I don't mind the refs not calling every little thing but it has to be consistent....and it hasn't been.