Author Topic: Symphony X - The Serpent's Kiss Split Screen Video  (Read 1753 times)

Offline soheil

Symphony X - The Serpent's Kiss Split Screen Video
« on: June 26, 2015, 01:17:24 AM »
Hey guys, Hope you are doing well. Just wanted to share our new split screen video from Symphony X's track, The Serpent's Kiss. I already did some Dream Theater and Iron Maiden split screens before, But this one was a new challenge for us. Here's the youtube link for the video if you feel like to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYt_1UAW6Po

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Symphony X - The Serpent's Kiss Split Screen Video
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:13:07 PM »
Hey guys, Hope you are doing well. Just wanted to share our new split screen video from Symphony X's track, The Serpent's Kiss. I already did some Dream Theater and Iron Maiden split screens before, But this one was a new challenge for us. Here's the youtube link for the video if you feel like to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYt_1UAW6Po

I like your cover a lot.  You guys are very talented.  But there are a couple of nitpicks I have about the video itself:

1.  By only showing the keyboardist's hands, and not showing his face at all, I am not engaged by anything he is doing.  Overall, this is a minor nitpick.  But I thought it was worth mentioning.

2.  This second point is more of an issue for me:  I HATE a lot of the effects you threw in (the quake effect, or whatever you call it, and the rapid flashing effect transitioning from one member to another).  I get that it makes the video look more polished, professional, and all-around cool.  But when I watch a split screen cover video, I am not expecting a polished, professional-looking video.  If one is to exist, I expect it from the band who wrote the song, not a bunch of guys covering it.  If I watch a cover video, I am expecting to be able to watch and admire what the cover artists are able to bring to the table musically in terms of their own skill.  If I am watching intently as the guitar player is nailing a riff, and right in the middle of it, that splash or quake effect makes me unable to see what he is doing, that really kills the vibe for me and makes me want to shut it off.

Anyhow, please don't take that as overly critical.  You guys are amazing.  It is just that some of the stylistic things about the video distracted me from being able to enjoy your amazing musical talent.  Whoever edited the video is obviously talented as well and deserves props.  I just didn't want to be distracted from the playing, that's all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline soheil

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 04:48:21 AM »
Dear Bosk

First of all, Thanks for your time and watching the video. Much appreciated. About the first part, Since the Keyboard player and the vocalist, frontman of the band are the same person, We thought maybe focusing on the hands would be a better idea since the viewer already sees the face of him on vocal performance.

About the 2nd part, We already did more split screen videos in more subtle ways that you mentioned, so we wanted to shake the things up a little bit. having ideas from the viewers gives us the opportunity to change the things on the upcoming projects. once again thanks for your time and sharing your ideas :)

Offline krands85

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 06:39:09 PM »
Nice job  :metal

The video is nicely put together, though I agree with what bosk is saying about how a split screen cover should maybe be a little more straightforward in terms of how the video is produced/edited together. What it does show though, is that any original music you come up with is probably going to have a great video to go along with it! And you obviously have the musical talent, so hopefully you can write some great songs.  :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline soheil

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 10:16:57 PM »
Thanks for watching and the review. I just thought it would be nice to mention that we already have a single track which is an original song from our band and I would like you to hear it. The link follows:

https://soundcloud.com/soheil-zk/the-frame-a-key-to-heaven

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 12:35:42 PM »
Thanks for watching and the review. I just thought it would be nice to mention that we already have a single track which is an original song from our band and I would like you to hear it. The link follows:

https://soundcloud.com/soheil-zk/the-frame-a-key-to-heaven

Wow, I REALLY like that.  Please keep us posted on other stuff you guys do.  I would definitely like to follow you guys.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline soheil

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 02:01:47 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Bosk and I am glad that you liked our single. We would love it if you check out our Facebook band page for more news and info. here's the link

https://www.facebook.com/theframeprog

Thank you again :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 12:13:29 PM »
Going back to your Symphony X cover, I really like that the vocalist is able to duplicate a lot of what Russ does in the original, but yet still put his own style into the vocals.  But the instrumentation is fantastic too. 

Do you guys have a drummer, or were the drums programmed?  I don't see a drummer in the video, so I was wondering.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 11:02:10 AM »
This is awesome, your singer has a phenomenal voice. Musicianship ain't bad either of course :P and your bassist looks like Serj Tankian.

I like the style of the video, it's cool to see it jazzed up a bit. I love the part with the four screens all showing keys haha. This sounds really close to the original. Great job.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline soheil

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 03:01:42 AM »
Going back to your Symphony X cover, I really like that the vocalist is able to duplicate a lot of what Russ does in the original, but yet still put his own style into the vocals.  But the instrumentation is fantastic too. 

Do you guys have a drummer, or were the drums programmed?  I don't see a drummer in the video, so I was wondering.

Thanks again for the kind words dear Bosk. about the drummer, we indeed have a drummer and you can hear him in our original single, A KEY TO HEAVEN. however he couldn't be there for the recording of the symphony X cover so we used drum programming to get the job done :)

Offline soheil

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 03:02:08 AM »
This is awesome, your singer has a phenomenal voice. Musicianship ain't bad either of course :P and your bassist looks like Serj Tankian.

I like the style of the video, it's cool to see it jazzed up a bit. I love the part with the four screens all showing keys haha. This sounds really close to the original. Great job.

Thank you so much for your time. Glad you liked it.