Author Topic: Mr. Robot  (Read 46681 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Mr. Robot
« Reply #385 on: March 23, 2020, 05:24:23 AM »
So Mr Robot.

What an incredible journey this show takes you on, the twists, the turns and the WTF moments.....and then the finale drops and all the dots join together and you realised it (nearly) all makes perfect sense, it's a beautiful moment.  A re-watch (which I feel is a must) is going to change so much.

The performances across the board are great. Obviously Rami is going to get so much work of the back of this show, but loads of others are deserving of praise.  Some of my personal favorites were Grace Gummer (Dom), Micheal Cristofer (Price), Bobby Cannavale (Irving) and of course Christian Slater.   And the characters themselves - mostly a brilliant collection of quirky personalities.  I'd like to single out Dom and one scene in particularly - the Alexa scene.  We see Dom at her must vulnerable, she is lonely and it's crushing her, and that scene when she's talking to Alexa is just heartbreaking 'Alexa do you love me?'.

So was this a superhero show?  The origins of the hero 'Mastermind' competing against his nemesis 'Whiterose' whose nefarious plan involving some sort of world changing machine.   So that actually brings me to one area I'm unsure about.  Whiterose as the layers of mystery surrounding the character were gradually exposed the less interesting the character became, and the 'machine' itself was kept vague - we never saw what Angela was shown that changed her.  I think I'll treat it as a metaphor for denial of reality - Whiterose creating something to change reality to a place where there lover still lived.

Season 2 was important for setup purposes - but those first 6 or 7 dragged.  I think we could have maybe told that story in a shorter time frame - maybe Tyrell's wife didn't need as much screen time, as ultimately she didn't serve much purpose.  I can see why some people ditched the show when watching weekly live.

A couple queries I may have missed :

- Tyrell.  What was the meaning his final (real) scene.   A Blue screen of death, lol?
- If Mastermind setup the perfect mind world for Real Elliott at the beginning, he wouldn't know Price was Angela's father.

This is certainly up there with the best TV I've watched (Breaking Bad, Wire, Shield etc...).  What do I watch next? lol

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 05:44:22 AM by soupytwist »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #386 on: March 23, 2020, 05:45:56 AM »
I didn't notice it myself, but I remember reading on Reddit that from some screenshots (the documentation that Elliot got handled by Price) the machine was revealed as a Large Hadron Collider and that it was either meant for alternate realities or travelling back in time.

It wasn't spelled on the nose, but I guess if one really wanted to know, the answers were there, it's just that it was not important per se what the machine was doing, more what Whiterose believed it could do, and therefore it was important to her and her motivations.

It's kinda like the prophecies in Harry Potter.... they were bullshit, but Voldemort believed them, and so he made them real. Same here, Whiterose's machine was just the deranged impossible project of a lunatic, the point was not if it worked or not, but that Whiterose believed it would work.

About Tyrell... yeah, that was actually his BSOD  ;D his exit could have been handled better but he needed to be out of the picture to stall the Deus meeting.

Good call on Elliot not knowing Price was Angela's father.... the only one who knew was Angela herself and she got offed immediately after. Let's call it a lucky guess or rationalization by the Mastermind but yeah, he shouldn't have really known.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #387 on: March 23, 2020, 06:18:14 AM »

About Tyrell... yeah, that was actually his BSOD  ;D his exit could have been handled better but he needed to be out of the picture to stall the Deus meeting.

I think in terms of buildup of character vs payoff Tyrell (and his wife) were maybe the only short changed characters.   Seemed like they were going to be way more important when we spent so much time with them during Season 1, and when he returned in Season 3 he still didn't add much.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #388 on: March 23, 2020, 06:29:34 AM »
Indeed, Tyrell's arc is one of the very few minor complaints one could have with this fantastic series.

I don't know if Joanna was always meant to go out like that, or the actress wanted out and so they needed to write her off, but in season 1 Tyrell looked so important and the whole of season 2 was built over his absence, but once he came back as a positive scapegoat (rather than being framed, he was made out to be a hero) his usefulness to the larger plot became nonexistant.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #389 on: June 06, 2020, 10:01:31 AM »
The Blu-ray boxset was on sale for Amazon for $40, grabbed and am rewatching the series for the first time. Man that first episode is so fantastic and watching it again knowing how it all ends and all the arcs, it's great to notice all the nuances and setups. The show is even better than I remember it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #390 on: June 06, 2020, 10:38:14 AM »
I already rewatched the first three seasons before starting the final, but I'm gonna let pass some time and one day I will definitively rewatch it all again, knowing everything that went down.

I believe in years word of mouth will make the fame of Mr. Robot even bigger. It was not a smashing hit like Breaking Bad but 99,9% of the people agreeing that it ended perfectly will motivate people to watch it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #391 on: June 17, 2020, 11:19:57 PM »
Done with rewatch up to season 3, will dive into the final season soon. What an amazing and wonderful joyride to revisit the previous season having not seen them since they first aired. I can see why so many felt disappointed with season 2 because of the pending answers but that was the reason I think season 3 was all the more fulfilling once they answer questions all the way from season 1.

Everything about the show is top notch as been mentioned throughout, the music, the acting, the story and the cinematography. The editing is also highlight one that I didn't give enough credit on original viewing. It's so tight the entire time. Makes the tension stand out even more.
Just saw that for season 4 there are about 40 minutes of deleted scenes!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 11:25:12 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #392 on: June 22, 2020, 08:02:26 AM »
I've almost got my wife talked into watching this, which means a rewatch for me!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #393 on: June 22, 2020, 08:25:43 AM »
I got done last night with season 4 and god damn did the finale make me emotional once again, the show is just a hair behind Breaking Bad as my all-time favorite shows now.

Many of the deleted scenes for season 4 added context to several scenes. Though I think some really didn't fit in with the episode which is why I think one of the less talked about aspects of the show is the editing. From depicting the buildup of tension to letting the weight of words linger on, the intercut of some episodes is legendary for me. In particular season 3 when the FBI raid happens. Amazing stuff through and through.

I wished the box set had more of the behind-the-scenes stuff, that stuff is always so interesting.

I've almost got my wife talked into watching this, which means a rewatch for me!
After the rewatch I am in the process of convincing my wife as well, I wouldn't mind a re-re-watch.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #394 on: June 22, 2020, 09:14:10 AM »
the show is just a hair behind Breaking Bad as my all-time favorite shows now.

Mr. Robot is ahead of BB in my rankings. So is Better Call Saul. I dug BB big time and think it's great.....but Mr. Robot outranks it on my scorecard.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #395 on: October 23, 2020, 06:51:10 AM »
Hmmm, I don't know, I am early season 2 and I think it just isn't for me.

I can see it is directed and acted very well, but it all feels so predictable thus far. Maybe because I have recently seen similar works, but I found most of the first season to be predictable. Like, the first episode my Fight Club radar went off the moment we have seen mr Robot a couple of times and in the second episode I was like yeah this guy is his dad after that convo and the push of the pier. The whole spiralling down into the drugs problem logically happens to Elliot, but I am getting tired about plots relying on that for tension. I don't know, outside of the reveal of his sister I can't think of a single major surprise in the entire first season. And early in season 2 I am not enjoying the whole Elliot/Mr Robot battle in his own head. I do really enjoy Angela's arc and find the business/legal/society stuff very interesting, but as soon as we go back to Elliot I just don't feel it. And, well, that is the series' lead so for me that means it doesn't work.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #396 on: October 23, 2020, 06:55:20 AM »
I don't know, outside of the reveal of his sister I can't think of a single major surprise in the entire first season.

And that wasn't major? the Mr. Robot reveal was a red herring. You were meant to feel secure in having figured out "the twist", while the ACTUAL twist was that Darlene was his sister. That was the whole point.

And as I've said previously in this thread - season 2, ESPECIALLY the first half, is the most difficult batch of the entire series. Season 3 pays back TENFOLD the patience of having endured through season 2 (which speeds up in the second half). Then if you don't like it, you don't like it, but don't write off the show because of their Falling Into Infinity. Scenes from a Memory (Season 3) is just right around the corner.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #397 on: October 23, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »
I don't know, outside of the reveal of his sister I can't think of a single major surprise in the entire first season.

And that wasn't major? the Mr. Robot reveal was a red herring. You were meant to feel secure in having figured out "the twist", while the ACTUAL twist was that Darlene was his sister. That was the whole point.

And as I've said previously in this thread - season 2, ESPECIALLY the first half, is the most difficult batch of the entire series. Season 3 pays back TENFOLD the patience of having endured through season 2 (which speeds up in the second half). Then if you don't like it, you don't like it, but don't write off the show because of their Falling Into Infinity. Scenes from a Memory (Season 3) is just right around the corner.

I do agree it is major (hence "outside of the reveal"). But I don't know, outside of it being a major surprise it did not seem like such a transformative moment (I mean, they used it as a plot device for Elliot discovering who Mr Robot is, but that can be done in a million ways). For all it's predictability, his whole relationship with Mr Robot still feels like the main driving force of the plot.

And maybe I will stick with it. It is one of those series where I can definitely see it's quality. As I said, the direction and acting is great. The pacing of season 1 is good as well. I also like the subject matter(s) and themes. I think part of it is that I just saw several films/series with people coping with drugs/hallucinations, as well as films with characters suffering from similar mental ailments.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #398 on: October 23, 2020, 02:41:26 PM »
I strongly advocate you stick with it. Seasons 3 and 4 are masterful. The relationship between Elliot and Mr Robot is indeed central to the plot and there's still a lot to be revealed.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #399 on: October 23, 2020, 03:34:46 PM »
I'd still give it a try, seasons 3 and 4 have some of my favorite TV episodes ever.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: October 23, 2020, 05:25:17 PM »
I don’t know which shows/movies you’ve watched that make you think you’ve seen this approach before.....but Mr. Robot inspired a few similar styled shows/movies as it became a hit. So....you may have experienced things already because of Mr. Robot

Offline faizoff

« Reply #401 on: October 23, 2020, 07:54:01 PM »
Like others have said season 3 and 4 more than make up for the slow pace and 1st half of 2. But I'm maybe in the minority but I loved season 2. I think it's all the things it adds is what makes season 3 &4 so great.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #402 on: October 24, 2020, 12:58:21 PM »
I will say that episodes 3 and 4 of season 2 have been a lot better. I found the first two to be boring or frustrating, depending on the scene. That was not the case with 3 and 4. So I will continue watching it.

I may sound very down on the series, but that is mainly because of the contrast to all the praise it got. I completed the first season because I thought it was solid. My post came after the beginning of season 2, which I did not like.

I don’t know which shows/movies you’ve watched that make you think you’ve seen this approach before.....but Mr. Robot inspired a few similar styled shows/movies as it became a hit. So....you may have experienced things already because of Mr. Robot

Definitely the other way around in my case. The last couple of months I watched Fight Club, A Beatiful Mind, The Machinist, American Psycho, A Clockwork Orange, Requiem for A Dream, and Trainspotting amongst others. I am not saying these are all the same, most far from it, but several characters follow plot patterns/arcs very similar/identical to characters in those films. Same goes for some games I played. The first season being kinda like Fight Club is super obvious though, the even use the same song (deliberately offcourse).

Still, I will stress this in itself isn't a quality problem, just my personal preferences and recent watching history combined. Taken as a whole, Mr Robot is a different experience and I don't know how the rest of the series will go.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #403 on: October 24, 2020, 01:08:46 PM »
Still, I will stress this in itself isn't a quality problem, just my personal preferences and recent watching history combined. Taken as a whole, Mr Robot is a different experience and I don't know how the rest of the series will go.
No spoilers, but I think to some extent the whole "Fight Club" reveal in season 1 was to get the viewers into a mindset of questioning everything they see and not being sure what's real and what's not. Same with a reveal during season 2 that you haven't got to yet.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #404 on: November 03, 2020, 03:32:28 PM »
Well, I think I might up ending liking season 2 a whole lot more than the first. Episode 5-7 have been great, so I will definitely continue the series.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #405 on: November 04, 2020, 01:00:17 AM »
Yay! the season ends strongly, be assured  :hat

Offline faizoff

« Reply #406 on: November 04, 2020, 06:41:51 AM »
On my rewatch I actually loved season 2 way more, it sets up a ton of stuff that pays off in season 3 and some of it in season 4 too.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #407 on: November 25, 2020, 03:31:13 AM »
I think season 2 is great, after having finished it. That initial stretch is fully justified as well, now that I know the whole arc. Huge improvement for me over season 1. And the show totally feels like it's own thing now.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #408 on: November 25, 2020, 03:41:12 AM »
Yay!

Now get ready for Season 3 to totally kick your ass  :metal

Offline faizoff

« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2021, 08:03:47 PM »
Doing another rewatch of the show and am on season 3 right now and am still blown away at the three episode stretch of 5-6-7.

Episode 5 was the episode where the whole thing looked like one shot with the firing of Eliot and riots in the E-Corp building. Such amazing cinematography and coordination throughout the episode. That whole Angela hacking scene was so well done.

Episode 6 with Elliot trying to stop the building from being blown up ending with a twist.

Episode 7 is still so gut wrenching, though it's always Trenton and Mobley that are the main focus, there's also the equally upsetting scenes of seeing Wellick breaking down learning the fate about his wife, Price losing out to White Rose feeling defeated, Angela losing her marbles, Elliot breaking down at Krista's. What a downer of an episode. Just sick to my stomach.

Also noticed in these 3 episodes there were a lot of movie & TV-inspired scenes, there was True Detective, Silence of the lambs, Breaking Bad and I'm sure many others.

I may have to re-visit Breaking Bad after this to see if it still holds as my number one show just ahead of Mr. Robot.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:11:35 PM by faizoff »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #410 on: April 20, 2021, 12:56:17 AM »
Yeah, you said it all, Season 3 of Mr. Robot is beyond fantastic.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #411 on: April 20, 2021, 07:32:50 PM »
Got done with season 3 and the last stretch of the three episodes 8, 9 & 10 is again something truly phenomenal. I knew season 3 was excellent but just watching the episodes back to back with no distractions and taking each moment in makes you appreciate every single minute.

Episode 8 - This slower episode was much needed after that steamrolling series of the previous three. Things slowed down and all the scenes with Trenton's brother were so well done, that kid was fantastic and played so well against Rami Malek. I had forgotten or misremembered that Elliot went to the beach to OD on all those pills before being interrupted by the kid. The dialogue in this episode is possibly the best in the entire season. Very emotional and well-placed episode.

Episode 9 - This episode is more or less the setup for the finale and it might as well have been lumped together, it had some great scenes especially with Price, Elliot and Wellick with Price delivering the burn of the series to Wellick "It's not that I am out of moves. It's that you are not worth one." oof.

Episode 10 - I think this finale is perfect from start to finish, not a single frame wasted. I recall at the time I was so prepared to see Dom and Darlene be killed off seeing how the season went so far and it was hard to predict what would happen.

All the references and purposeful homages to Back to The Future, Superman (1978) and The Shining and so many other movies reinforced how well the story was told this season and why season 2 had to be done the way it was done. Thinking back I don't think there was any single dull or off moment in the season. Everything from the music, to the cinematography, the editing, the acting, the story telling, it was all so well put together, all the story plot points came together and had such rich paybacks. God I love this show and now to dive again into the masterful season 4.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #412 on: April 21, 2021, 01:03:50 AM »
Episode 9 - This episode is more or less the setup for the finale and it might as well have been lumped together, it had some great scenes especially with Price, Elliot and Wellick with Price delivering the burn of the series to Wellick "It's not that I am out of moves. It's that you are not worth one." oof.

Price was the best "magnificent asshole" seen on TV since Tywin Lannister. The actor is virtually unknown but he deserves so much more recognition. Even his deep voice is amazing. What a wonderful character, in season 4 I became a full fan of him.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #413 on: April 21, 2021, 04:06:13 AM »
For sure Price was a fantastic character and the actor playing him has serious chops. His demeanor in season 4 is obviously so different from previous seasons and the acting really shows that. What a wonderful asshole character.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #414 on: June 08, 2021, 09:01:56 PM »
Giving this another go, still holds up as quite possibly the best series ever for me.

Might even be better the second time around if that's possible.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #415 on: June 08, 2021, 09:10:53 PM »
Giving this another go, still holds up as quite possibly the best series ever for me.

It most definitely was for me! I've watched 4 times already and will probably do another rewatch soon lol.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #416 on: June 08, 2021, 09:44:49 PM »
Just finished S1, an gonna put down an episode of S2 before bed. Totally forgot about the whole prison sequence. Fuck this show was so good.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: June 08, 2021, 11:47:13 PM »

I might have to do a rewatch soon. Such a great show.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #418 on: March 28, 2022, 09:11:16 AM »
Started rewatch #lostcount

I noticed in the 1st episode in the Fun Society place, the character Trent is interacting with someone I guess it's supposed to be Mobley but it's played by a different actor. Since there are no lines by anyone I guess it didn't matter. It's a detail I never noticed before.

I'll reiterate again, those first 5-6 mins of the show are a fantastic tone setter for the rest of the series.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: March 28, 2022, 09:35:22 AM »
I'll reiterate again, those first 5-6 mins of the show are a fantastic tone setter for the rest of the series.

I have to go back and watch this again.....but then I'm sure I'll be hooked and just do a total re-watch.