Author Topic: Mr. Robot  (Read 47084 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Mr. Robot
« Reply #350 on: January 16, 2020, 10:31:02 AM »
Season 4 had some of the most amazing technical wizardy of the show. Each episode was different in the way it was shot and edited and it made things so interesting.

If you guys haven't seen this parody yet, check it out, it's a riot. Doesn't contain any spoilers for the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc5bc33Ybys

:lol    That's awesome
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2020, 11:08:02 AM »
I almost feel bad for the guy because how can you improve on this? Everything he does is going to have to meet this standard....which is at like Quadruple Platinum Level in my eyes.

I know, but I'd say there are worse creative problems than that. It's like with Vince Gilligan, how can he improve on Breaking Bad? I know the answer technically is "Better Call Saul", but imagine another show started from scratch, would it be as good and acclaimed? who knows. In both cases, there are worse things to be remembered  as than just "the guy who created Mr. Robot" and "the guy who created Breaking Bad".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: January 16, 2020, 11:09:27 AM »
I almost feel bad for the guy because how can you improve on this? Everything he does is going to have to meet this standard....which is at like Quadruple Platinum Level in my eyes.

I know, but I'd say there are worse creative problems than that. It's like with Vince Gilligan, how can he improve on Breaking Bad? I know the answer technically is "Better Call Saul", but imagine another show started from scratch, would it be as good and acclaimed? who knows. In both cases, there are worse things to be remembered  as than just "the guy who created Mr. Robot" and "the guy who created Breaking Bad".

Great point

Offline faizoff

« Reply #353 on: January 16, 2020, 12:21:30 PM »
Esmail directed Homecoming on Amazon and that was a great watch, similar feel to Mr.Robot but ran on its own merits though I don't think he wrote any of the episodes.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #354 on: January 19, 2020, 03:09:25 PM »
Going on a bit of a positive rant here.

I've just seen episode 9, Conflict, and OMFG IT'S ONE OF THE BEST EPISODES EVER IN YEARS!!!

I had actual adrenaline after seeing that, I had to calm down a bit from the excitement before going on with another show I wanted to watch to fill up the evening. It was absolutely mindblowing and amazing!!!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy THIS is how I wanted to feel watching Game of Thrones or Dexter's final seasons, damn... it was thrilling and anxious in the first half, not being sure how and if they'd actually pull off the phones hack, and a total upward spinning of emotions during the end when they finally did it.

And the MVP of the episode was definitively Philip Price. With nothing left to lose and zero fucks to give, he got drunk in front of an ever more panicking Whiterose while trolling her staying absolutely calm and collected  :rollin and then that final little speech outside on the stairs, telling her how she got pwned, it was absolutely GLORIOUS and he went out like a fucking legend. I'm not even overly sad that Whiterose, as the whiny sore loser she is, killed him right then and there, that's one badass way to go. I knew that Price would die 'cause googling more information on Michael Christofer (the actor playing him) I stumbled upon a headline "MC comments on Price's last words", but I didn't know how and when it would happen. But what a way to go, I've always loved that magnificent asshole of a CEO but now I'm totally team Price all the way!

I was waiting for the gut punch 'cause there are several other episodes to go, but it didn't come... not now, at least. This was a long awaited and well deserved victory for Elliot and Darlene, I'll think about the aftermath later.... for now I'll revel in the absolute joy, excitement and euphoria brought on by one of the best episodes in YEARS in all the entire televion!!!  :metal :metal :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #355 on: January 25, 2020, 02:12:32 AM »
AAAAaaand I finished.

Whoah. What a ride. Bravo Sam Esmail, bravo  :hefdaddy

An absolutely amazing and poignant conclusion, a twist hidden so well that only a bunch of hardcore fans must have figured out in its interity and down to the detail, and one that does not cheapen the story but actually gives it new meaning and depth and that will be rewarding for future rewatching. The final scene and final words were absolutely perfect. Stunning ending.

If we want to nitpick such an amazing work of art, I have to say I would have liked to know at least what Whiterose's machine was believed by her to do, I didn't need to know if it worked or know, but I would have liked to know what she thought it would do, and how she convinced Angela (and a legion of minions ready to kill themselves) that it worked. And I'm sure here and there there are some things one could argue about. But in the grand scheme of things this was Elliot's journey and it started, progressed and ended beautifully. What a show. What an ending.

I am sure the great ending and word of mouth will make this a cult classic, that more and more people will discover this amazing show, their memorable episodes and the incredible cast. BD Wong created a villain second only to Gus Fring when it comes to a compelling and not cliched antagonist, and so late in his carrer Michael Christofer (Philip Price) got to show he's one of the great imposing actors with an amazing voice, as I said he would have been a great Tywin Lannister (and I'm sure Charles Dance would have been a convincing Price as well, but I'm glad they did the roles they did).

Speaking of BD Wong, I read on his Instagram that his final hairstyle, in the nuclear plant room, was an homage to an actress that paved the way for asian american actors in mainstream cinema and television, and he wanted to pay homage to her and insisted a long time for it. Maybe that helped him further to finish his role the way he's always played - with absolute skills and talent. Whiterose in her final "Don't make me laugh" speech was TERRYFING. Batshit insane and totally out of bounds. What a sendoff to the character.

Now I wish I could do like Elliot - erase my memory and relive it all once again! but watching it with the added knowledge will be satisfying as well. In a year or two I'm surely gonna rewatch this. One of the greatest series of all time.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #356 on: January 29, 2020, 01:34:53 AM »
Writing this without reading any of the above (I'm avoiding spoilers)

Just watched Season 1.  First 7 episodes - I'm on board, enjoying it, but perhaps not getting a real 'this is a tier 1' TV show.  Probably comparable to a show like Dexter (early Dexter) really good, entertaining but not elite.......then episode 8 hit.  What a game changer that was - now I'm really excited to where this show is going.   Also re watching those first 7 episodes will be interesting now!!

Starting Season 2 tonight, can't wait.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #357 on: January 29, 2020, 05:36:28 AM »
Regarding season 2 as everyone will tell, it's very different from season 1 and made many lose interest in the show. I personally loved the change of pace and that it wasn't just a rehash of the first season.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #358 on: January 29, 2020, 06:50:51 AM »
Indeed, if you like season 2, all's good, if you feel disoriented and uncertain at how the hell it will go on,  hold on, season 3 is absolutely ultra fantastic.

And yeah, the REAL twist of season 1, while everyone were busy chasing Mr. Robot's identity, was a strike of genius. Rewatching all the episodes it's so blatant, it was there for everyone to see but nobody noticed because they were too focused on Mr. Robot.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #359 on: February 07, 2020, 10:01:18 AM »
This second Season is 50% Brilliant and 50% Frustrating!

I'm currently 8 episodes into it and it's been a bumpy ride.  Oh man the first episode is such a buzz kill, certainly not playing out what i expected  following the events of the end of season 1.  The next two episodes continue that trend, not helped by the fact they are also rather confusing.   Then it starts to rev up again,but ever time you think it's about the kick off again the next episode slows the pace again (or move to a different story). Oh and fuck this show with it's reveals!  I was convinced 'Joey' (The friend who appears from nowhere) was another figment of Elliotts mind, instead the whole 'controlled' life was infact the figment him being in prison, and Joey was real.....falled me again!

Aside from pacing, if I have a complaint it's Angela's story is a tad boring and her relationship with the CEO of E Corp somewhat unrealistic.  Like the Female FBI agent investigating the case, nice addition.  Oh and ALF!  ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #360 on: February 07, 2020, 11:29:34 AM »
Well, I can't disagree with you about the frustration. With a binge reviewing knowing the full story it's a lot better, but I won't disagree that watching it in "real time" (or for the first time) it can be a bit baffling.

Trust me, it's gonna end on a high note and season 3 will be 100% awesome! Angela will continue to have her story, maybe season 3 will make you re-evaluate her journey in season 2.

Check back in as many times as you want, it's always a pleasure to see the reactions from people watching it the first time!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #361 on: March 05, 2020, 03:41:56 AM »
Up to episode 4 in season 2.   Had a hiccup with Episode 2 - I watched it while I was feeling like shit, and I think I nodded off in parts of it.  I had to rewatch it and I put that off for several days.  However I managed to rewatch it last night, and then episode 3 straight after.  I must confess Episode 3 was a revelation, and I really needed it as I was starting to get confused!   Episode 3 is the flashback episode that basically finally explains what happened at the conclusion of the first season, shown via Tyrell. 
I'm really happy they filled in the blanks, and I feel much more onboard with the show now.  I intend to binge watch the rest of season 3 over the next few days.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #362 on: March 05, 2020, 03:50:29 AM »
Yeah, I can't remember another show where a mystery was teased for so long, and then it got explained wonderfully, logically and in depth.

That Tyrell episode is a reward for sticking through season 2. Get braced now, you're in for a glorious and kickass roller coaster ride  :metal :metal :metal

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #363 on: March 06, 2020, 02:31:37 AM »
Wasn't going to comment again till the end of Season 3.  But episode 5 - Oh wow, just wow.  One of the best episodes of TV I've seen for a while.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #364 on: March 06, 2020, 02:35:54 AM »
And just wait for number 6!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #365 on: March 09, 2020, 02:50:37 AM »
And just wait for number 6!

Epic!

Was hoping to finish up season 3 this weekend, but didn't have the time.  Watched 6 & 7 though.  I can honestly say I have absolutely no idea where this show is going, and how much of what I'm seeing onscreen I trust.  I dare not make a prediction of how this will play out as I fear the show has multiple rug pull moments which will change everything, and any prediction will look stupid  ;D

I can however say it really is now in season 3 a top tier show.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #366 on: March 09, 2020, 03:14:55 AM »
  I dare not make a prediction of how this will play out as I fear the show has multiple rug pull moments which will change everything, and any prediction will look stupid  ;D

Oh boy, you have no idea  ;D WE ALL had no idea.

I can however say it really is now in season 3 a top tier show.

As Walter White would say, "you're goddamn right".

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #367 on: March 16, 2020, 02:58:41 AM »
3 Episodes into Season 4.  Just learned of a 3rd persona!   
Hoping to finish with this over the weekend, can't wait to see where it goes now!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #368 on: March 16, 2020, 03:05:54 AM »
What comes after those first three episodes are a bit of WTF moments.... trust the writer (Sam Esmail), it will all pay off in the end.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #369 on: March 17, 2020, 04:46:38 AM »
So Season 4, Episode 4.  Felt a bit filler with Dominique having a weird sex/death dream and Darlene chatting with drunk Santa.  And then you have Tyrell, Elliott and Mr Robot going for a walk in the freezing woods......then WTF happened at the end, a dying(?) Tyrell finding a blue light emitting a weird animal sound....  I honestly have no idea who or what is real anymore!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #370 on: March 17, 2020, 04:49:31 AM »
I warned  you, did I  :lol

As I said, it will all be back on track, episode 4 was the WTF moment of the season.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #371 on: March 17, 2020, 05:36:48 AM »
I warned  you, did I  :lol

As I said, it will all be back on track, episode 4 was the WTF moment of the season.

Haha.  At this point there are 9 episodes left, so heading into endgame territory - but I have no idea what this endgame is going to look like.  Really enjoying it though, wish I had enough time this morning to watch Episode 5 though, that was a really annoying place to stop!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #372 on: March 18, 2020, 05:07:51 AM »
Episode 5 & 6 done.

5 was great. I was so absorbed in the episode I honestly didn't really notice it was most shot without dialog, till the backend of the episode.  Episode 6 was good too (another cliffhanger ending!) Right now the show feels a bit more normalised, with the pieces starting falling into place.   I'm sure there will be another rug pull moment coming up that'll change everything though....and we still haven't gone back to Tyrell and whatever he found.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #373 on: March 18, 2020, 05:11:12 AM »
I'm sure there will be another rug pull moment coming up that'll change everything though....

Oh boy. You have no idea. Brace for number 7.

and we still haven't gone back to Tyrell and whatever he found.

Maybe we won't. Or we will. Who knows  ;D for now leave it out of your mind, there's some serious shit coming up!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #374 on: March 18, 2020, 05:35:05 AM »

Oh boy. You have no idea. Brace for number 7.

I'm totally staying away from spoilers.  But I do check out the IMDB average user rating numbers for upcoming episodes and Episode 7 has a 9.9! 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #375 on: March 19, 2020, 04:39:29 AM »
So Episode 7.

Dare I say I was slightly underwhelmed when the episode finished.  I was expecting more 'rug pulling'.  But thinking about it more afterwards it works really well, the hints were seeded thoughout the show - and it keeps everything in the central narrative 'real' (for now at least).   I must confess I was glad Vera got killed though, I'd had enough of that character and it did look like he was bonding with Elliott - I didn't really want that partnership to continue - so the knife to the back was a relief!

I also watched Episode 8 too - which was awesome.  Dom and Darlene prisoners was super tense.  Then Dom played her hand it was a real fist pumping moment.  I hope she survives.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #376 on: March 19, 2020, 04:40:44 AM »
And now we go onto episode 9 which is  :metal :metal :metal

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #377 on: March 19, 2020, 07:41:31 AM »
I'm really interested to find out if there is any payoff to Elliott (then Mr Robot in Season 4) talking to what we presume is 'us' the audience.  No spoilers please!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #378 on: March 20, 2020, 02:45:32 AM »
Episodes 9 & 10 done.

9 for fast paced and awesome. I loved Prices shit eating (drunken) grin as Whiterose found out he'd been outplayed, yeah he got gunned down at the end - but he got his moment over Whiterose.   And that was that with the hacking storyline, or at least it looks like it's over.

10 was obviously a lot slower and focused on Dom (Yay she survived) and Darlene.  That Irving scene was great, mainly because Irving was awesome and I'd hoped we'd see him again, and he still brought the calm menace.  The redistribution of wealth moment was a highlight (hey the world could do with this now!).

Onto the final 3 episodes.  I guess this is where we discover the true nature of Elliotts mental illness.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #379 on: March 20, 2020, 02:50:48 AM »
9 for fast paced and awesome. I loved Prices shit eating (drunken) grin as Whiterose found out he'd been outplayed, yeah he got gunned down at the end - but he got his moment over Whiterose.   And that was that with the hacking storyline, or at least it looks like it's over.

One of my favorite episodes EVER in the entire history of TV, no kidding. As I wrote when I watched it, I had to calm down a little after seeing it because the adrenaline and the excitement was so high.

I 110% agree with you that it was beyond glorious to see Price getting wasted and mercilessly trolling Whiterose, with zero fucks left to give. I wasn't even sad when he got gunned down because he went out in a blaze of (drunken) glory, like the magnificent asshole he was. Michael Christofer is awesome and I rank him right alongside Charles Dance among the great loveable assholes.

Onto the final 3 episodes.  I guess this is where we discover the true nature of Elliotts mental illness.

This is where the story gets completed, I hope you'll appreciate it as much as I did!  :metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: March 20, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
Just reading this journey that soupytwist is taking with this show makes me want to watch it all over again. I've been jealous  :lol   Such a well done show

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #381 on: March 20, 2020, 02:37:36 PM »
I highly recommend you watch all these in a single sitting if you can.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #382 on: March 21, 2020, 03:30:14 AM »
OK Im done.

What an outstanding finale.  The absolute brilliance in creating a finale that somehow makes you reassess what you've been watching (right from the start) and yet changes nothing.   Nearly everything ties up (I spent a good amount of time after the finale finished thinking about this) and everything makes sense, with no cheapness.   Great writing.

I'm going to come back to this thread later and write more bout it, and some queries I have. 

Anyone thinking of coming to this show, or needing something to watch in these troubled times of self isolation.....this show.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #383 on: March 21, 2020, 05:50:51 AM »
What an outstanding finale.  The absolute brilliance in creating a finale that somehow makes you reassess what you've been watching (right from the start) and yet changes nothing.   Nearly everything ties up (I spent a good amount of time after the finale finished thinking about this) and everything makes sense, with no cheapness.   Great writing.

Indeed!  :metal glad that you enjoyed like basically 99% of those who've watched it. I hope it will become a cult series and will gain more and more following through word of mouth.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: March 21, 2020, 09:07:55 AM »

Indeed!  :metal glad that you enjoyed like basically 99% of those who've watched it. I hope it will become a cult series and will gain more and more following through word of mouth.

Awesome assessment! So happy for you. This really is (in my eyes) the perfect show. From start to finish. I imagine I’ll wait another year or so and give it a rewatch