Author Topic: Mr. Robot  (Read 47485 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Mr. Robot
« Reply #315 on: December 19, 2019, 06:47:25 AM »
Ok speculation time.

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS ON THE OFF-CHANCE I'M VAGUELY RIGHT)

Assuming that the twist in the latest episode is really about Elliott's different personalities and not any sci-fi/parrallel worlds stuff, I'm wondering if everything (or almost everything) we've seen has been a fictionalisation of something else going on. Hopefully not an "it was all a dream" thing (pretty sure I'd find that quite lame unless they did something really special) but more like the prison arc in season 2 - there has been something real happening but for whatever reason we've been seeing it through Elliott's/Mr Robot's eyes in a distorted way.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #316 on: December 19, 2019, 07:53:33 AM »
Ok speculation time.

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS ON THE OFF-CHANCE I'M VAGUELY RIGHT)

Assuming that the twist in the latest episode is really about Elliott's different personalities and not any sci-fi/parrallel worlds stuff, I'm wondering if everything (or almost everything) we've seen has been a fictionalisation of something else going on. Hopefully not an "it was all a dream" thing (pretty sure I'd find that quite lame unless they did something really special) but more like the prison arc in season 2 - there has been something real happening but for whatever reason we've been seeing it through Elliott's/Mr Robot's eyes in a distorted way.

Dude....i was thinking something along the same lines and am just wondering how they would tie all of what we've seen together to 'fit' the narrative of he's just F'n crazy? IF this is the case....with the track record of the show I'd trust that it'd be done in a pretty cool way and not just a ' he was dreaming the whole time' kind of cop out.

But at the same time....IF....this is truly some alternate reality/time travel thing I'll be honest....It'll diminish the show in my eyes. Seems like a cheesy way to go after all this time. The show has never alluded to or been about alternate realities or time travel. It's been a fantasy of White Roses' the entire time but they've kept this show pretty much grounded in reality so turning this into a Sci Fi show in the last two episodes would be odd. I don't think that's what they're gonna do but we shall see.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #317 on: December 19, 2019, 08:01:26 AM »
Yeah I think it's not going full sci-fi, but something quite different, more psychological - likely Elliott is stuck inside his mind after the power plant exploded or something. Really curious to see how this all ends.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #318 on: December 21, 2019, 08:59:31 AM »
Finally caught up.

Holy shit.

I have no idea what will happen now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #319 on: December 22, 2019, 10:12:57 PM »
I am very satisfied. My heart is content. Beautiful finale and while it looked like it was a lot to pack in, it was actualy rather simple to understand.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: December 22, 2019, 11:10:57 PM »
I am very satisfied. My heart is content. Beautiful finale and while it looked like it was a lot to pack in, it was actualy rather simple to understand.

Utterly beautiful. Incredible show. I will admit I had tears in my eyes in the final few minutes.....and Darlene at the end was awesome.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: December 22, 2019, 11:18:26 PM »
Damn that was freaking gorgeous and it wraps up everything so perfect :'(

I'll miss this show so much, it's just been fantastic all the way through. Definitely a top 3 series for me.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #322 on: December 23, 2019, 06:04:53 AM »
Finale spoiler talk

Man I can't stop thinking of that finale, it was so well done. I was sucked in hook, line, and sinker regarding the time travel aspect of the show and it kept on carrying it that way. I thought to myself, please don't tell me this is all a dream and it was all in his head. I loved how that unraveled.

That scene with the imagined Krista was phenomenal. It was so simply laid out and then everything made sense and it all just suddenly clicked, I really really can't wait to start watching the show again. What an amazing display and relay of a personality disorder without it feeling so hokey and contrived.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: December 23, 2019, 09:40:17 AM »
Still just in wonderful shock at the finale. I'll admit.....the ending of last week had me concerned that this had just taken a major left turn.....but, I knew to trust Esmail because he has given us such a good show for so long. And he did not disappoint. My eyes were welling up in Elliot's final 'sit down' with Krista...when it was all laid out for him....then that final scene of the personalities in the theater now just gonna watch Elliot's life. Wow...just wow.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #324 on: December 25, 2019, 03:11:48 AM »
Just finished watching the finale.

Oh my God, how perfect. Probably the greatest ending to a great show since Six Feet Under. Esmail is a genius.

One of the best shows in history.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: December 25, 2019, 09:26:09 AM »
One of the best shows in history.

It really is. I probably watch more Tv/shows than your average ‘Joe’ and have seen my fair share of really good shows and duds. This, for me.....is the best show I’ve ever seen. There are a couple that are really good.....but this show is as you said.....the best show in history (to date)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #326 on: December 25, 2019, 02:31:34 PM »
Agreed Hef, it's a 10/10 for me. Just amazing.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: December 25, 2019, 04:26:22 PM »
I was worried that, after so many wonderful episodes, the finale wouldn't be up to the level the show deserves, but it just surpassed any expectations I had. I haven't seen a single bad reaction to the ending, only praise, and that's just very rare.

Absolutely one of my favorite shows, and among TV's finest - I'd argue it's right up there with Neon Genesis Evangelion and Twin Peaks both in terms of raw creativity and how they broke many conventions while delivering pure brilliance.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #328 on: January 08, 2020, 03:06:12 AM »
Coming here symbolically keeping my hand above my eyes to not look around, to not read spoilers, but I'll just say that I finished my rewatched of season 3 and I dove right into season 4!

Watched the first episode and HOLY DAMN THAT FIRST SCENE, that was a huge shock!

Anyway, season 3 was firing on all cylinders as I remember and it was fantastic as season 3. One thing I'll say though... the protagonists are all fairly young and they had their breakthrough with this show; Christian Slater was a nice return from the '80s and '90s and BD Wong, while I couldn't name a movie with him off the top of my head, was out there, I must have seen him somewhere.

But Michael Christofer? the guy playing Philip Price? where has he been all my life? the guy is awesome! he has a commanding presence and voice, and he acts him in such an unusual way, he almost stutters and stumbles with every other word but yet conveys power, stature and force. He's the classic "magnificent asshole" and I daresay that, in an alternate universe where Charles Dance doesn't exist, he could have been a more than good Tywin Lannister.

Just as the reast of the cast, he knocks it out of the park every time he's on screen and I'm surprised that such a veteran actor (if only for his age) has never been seen in anything big so far.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: January 08, 2020, 07:03:07 AM »
That’s the beauty of the show. Literally every actor and actress is perfect for their role and nail the performance.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #330 on: January 09, 2020, 07:57:33 AM »
That's for sure! there's not a single weak link on this show.

Also, on the second episode arrived another major bombshell. WHAT. THE. HELL!!!

I'm really under tension watching the new episodes because:

- It's the final season
- It's an unconventional enough show to expect ANYTHING.

Sure, not everything ends up with a Red Wedding, and you can sense that somehow Whiterose is gonna go down, but... I'm way less than 99,9% sure. Anything could happen and anyone could die.

If this season keeps it up, the chess game between the Alderson team vs Whiterose is gonna be as legendary as the Walter White vs Gus Fring chess game in season 4 of Breaking Bad. And there you knew there was a fifth season (at least I knew, I started the show once it was over) so you could expect Walt to win but as I said this is the last season of Mr. Robot so all the bets are off!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: January 09, 2020, 08:07:46 AM »
Dude....I’m so happy for you that you’re watching this. I wish I could watch it all again with no recollection of what’s gonna happen. It’s just SO WELL DONE.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2020, 08:31:47 AM »
And you haven't even gotten to the wildest parts of the season yet, have fun :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #333 on: January 14, 2020, 08:19:16 AM »
I've gone through the three "unusual" episodes. The third one, which allows us to catch a breath and sees Elliot getting laid, the fourth one, which was a giant WTF with the walk in the woods and Tyrell finding Marcellus' soul at the end, and the fifth one, the silent one. What an utter non-stop orgy of tension was this one!

One question though, will it be eventually revealed how Elliot found out that Whiterose is none other than Minister Zhang? as far as I remember Whiterose was an elusive myth of the hacker community, and he met her dressed as a woman. Was he able to realize that the person disguised in front of him was the minister he saw on TV on whatever occasion? by now I know who he is but if he was an unknown actor, I'm not sure I could even tell it was BD Wong if I'd seen him without the Whiterose makeup.

So, since Elliot never really talked with Price before already knowing, how do you think he found out? when he hacked the Dark Army at the end of season 3 and found out all their dirty deeds?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: January 14, 2020, 08:27:45 AM »
I've gone through the three "unusual" episodes. The third one, which allows us to catch a breath and sees Elliot getting laid, the fourth one, which was a giant WTF with the walk in the woods and Tyrell finding Marcellus' soul at the end, and the fifth one, the silent one. What an utter non-stop orgy of tension was this one!

One question though, will it be eventually revealed how Elliot found out that Whiterose is none other than Minister Zhang? as far as I remember Whiterose was an elusive myth of the hacker community, and he met her dressed as a woman. Was he able to realize that the person disguised in front of him was the minister he saw on TV on whatever occasion? by now I know who he is but if he was an unknown actor, I'm not sure I could even tell it was BD Wong if I'd seen him without the Whiterose makeup.

So, since Elliot never really talked with Price before already knowing, how do you think he found out? when he hacked the Dark Army at the end of season 3 and found out all their dirty deeds?

I can't recall off the top of my head how that happened? I want to say he's known before even this season?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #335 on: January 14, 2020, 08:31:54 AM »
At the end of season 3 Elliot managed to hack the Dark Army. To prove that to Whiterose's goon and lover, who was in the barn with Darlene and Dom, he quoted how a week ago they corrupted a russian minister and then two days before they did whatever with South Korea (can't remember the details, the point it was that he KNEW exactly what they were doing). Having at hand all that information would have been a nice occasion to do 2+2 and realize Whiterose is the Minister of State Security.

But since nobody saw her, Elliot talked to her only once, and the other Dark Army members like Bobby Cannavale surely didn't spill the beans on her, I wonder why in the season premiere all of a sudden Elliot tells the lawyer he's blackmailing that Whiterose is Minister Zhang, and how he could find out a pretty damn well kept secret.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #336 on: January 14, 2020, 08:40:26 AM »
I will have to do a rewatch, I didn't even think of that aspect from Elliot if he knew who Whiterose really was. Once I'm done with the LOST rewatch I will hop on Mr.Robot again.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #337 on: January 14, 2020, 09:03:42 AM »
I remember when this show started and it was getting a ton of goodwill, I didn't have Amazon Prime at the time so it passed me by.  When I got Prime Mr Robot was in the middle of Season Two and the goodwill seemed to have gone - so I never bothered watching it.    Now the show has just finished and it's being labelled as one of the greatest shows of all time.   So I guess I'm going to give it ago - I'm pretty sure I am remembering Season 2 being classed as a letdown (and stopping me giving it ago), is that truly the case or did I imagine that?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #338 on: January 14, 2020, 09:16:52 AM »
When you binge it, and watch one episode after the other, it's better. Also knowing already how it all goes down help to concentrate on the details.

Living it in real time and waiting a week for each episode was kinda a drag, indeed. But the show bounced back with a vengeance, season 3 is fantastic and amazing as season 1 so do yourself a favor and endure through the first half of season 2, it will get better from that point on.

I'm 5 episodes into season 4 and it's too early to make a judgement but so far it's very promising. It's gripping as season 4 of Breaking Bad.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: January 14, 2020, 10:50:38 AM »
I remember when this show started and it was getting a ton of goodwill, I didn't have Amazon Prime at the time so it passed me by.  When I got Prime Mr Robot was in the middle of Season Two and the goodwill seemed to have gone - so I never bothered watching it.    Now the show has just finished and it's being labelled as one of the greatest shows of all time.   So I guess I'm going to give it ago - I'm pretty sure I am remembering Season 2 being classed as a letdown (and stopping me giving it ago), is that truly the case or did I imagine that?

IF I were forced to pick the weakest season it'd be S2 BUT that's really relative because it's still pretty friggin' awesome. Just compared to the other three seasons....I guess it'd be the weakest? But again, as I've said all along.....this series never supplied me an episode where I thought it was 'filler' or just 'ok'. Every episode built off the previous and was pretty awesome IMO. If you're a fan of Television and well told stories.....you simply have to watch this series.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: January 14, 2020, 11:20:37 AM »
The pace is a bit slower than season 1, and the tone is a lot more introspective. Season 3 is a mix of both approaches in the best way, and the last season takes that even further. Such a great series :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #341 on: January 14, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »
I'm on to the sixth episode now, I must have spent it thinking "Oh no oh shit oh fuck oh no no no no" the entire time  :lol

Also, if I were in a room with Janice and Whiterose, and I had a gun with two bullets, I'd probably shoot Janice twice.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: January 14, 2020, 04:31:15 PM »
Oh boy, the next episode...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #343 on: January 16, 2020, 02:44:10 AM »

Me watching: "What's so special? ok, it's high tension but it's yet another bottle episode, no hack, we're stuck with Vera until the end..."

Me at the end:

:( :( :( :omg: :omg: :omg: :'( :'( :'( :eek :eek :eek

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: January 16, 2020, 07:27:49 AM »

Me watching: "What's so special? ok, it's high tension but it's yet another bottle episode, no hack, we're stuck with Vera until the end..."

Me at the end:

:( :( :( :omg: :omg: :omg: :'( :'( :'( :eek :eek :eek

That episode from start to finish was just incredible. I love how Esmail used the 'setting' as a character as well....the different shades and hues and architecture for each 'segment' of emotion that was being exploited. It was a masterclass of how to skillfully tell a story.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2020, 08:04:38 AM »
As I realized reading comments online, it was basically a play. Five acts, all happening in a single location (well, two room to be precise), and with the events of the acts following the classic narrative structure.

I love how Sam Esmail manages to do all these kind of things (single take episode, silent episode, play episode) with all these "special" episodes being compelling and propelling the story, without them ever feeling gimmicky or a waste of time.

Also, good riddance for Vera. Fantastic actor, character greatly written, but I always hated those kind of scumbags. I seriously can't stand those violent  bullies who are all yo yo ma bitch u gonna respect me bro what did u say I'm gonna kick ur ass. He got what he deserved. Again, congratulations to the actor who, as the rest of the cast, was phenomenal, but I seriously hate and despise Vera and all people like him.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2020, 08:09:27 AM »
Goddamn episode 7. :'(

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: January 16, 2020, 09:56:08 AM »
The acting on that episode by both Rami and Elliot Villar (Vera) was fucking amazing. What's funny and meta is that Villar is mostly a theater actor, working on Broadway, so the episode being a 5-act play just fits perfect.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #348 on: January 16, 2020, 10:14:49 AM »
Season 4 had some of the most amazing technical wizardy of the show. Each episode was different in the way it was shot and edited and it made things so interesting.

If you guys haven't seen this parody yet, check it out, it's a riot. Doesn't contain any spoilers for the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc5bc33Ybys

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: January 16, 2020, 10:28:51 AM »
I love how Sam Esmail manages to do all these kind of things (single take episode, silent episode, play episode) with all these "special" episodes being compelling and propelling the story, without them ever feeling gimmicky or a waste of time.

Yep. The 'play' episode is up there and may just be my 'favorite' (although it's near impossible to pick just one) just because of how well it was done. I just loved how he used the 'stage' as a character as well.

I almost feel bad for the guy because how can you improve on this? Everything he does is going to have to meet this standard....which is at like Quadruple Platinum Level in my eyes.