0 (0%)
We're Here Because We're Here
4 (26.7%)
Weather Systems
6 (40%)
Distant Satellites
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Anathema Discography v. So let it take me away...  (Read 22128 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Anathema Discography v. So let it take me away...
« on: June 25, 2015, 12:05:45 PM »
Alright, here it is: the long-awaited Anathema discography thread! Anathema's style has changed a lot over its 25-year career, from death/doom to atmospheric and progressive rock with orchestrations and electronics, and we'll cover every step of that evolution.

Anathema was founded in 1990 under the name Pagan Angel by the Cavanagh brothers Danny (guitar), Vincent (guitar) and Jamie (bass), as well as their friends John Douglas (drums) and Darren White (vocals). (As you may have read in interviews, Vincent went to school with his twin Jamie instead of Danny, and on the first day he met John and they became friends - the rest is history.) The band quickly changed its name to Anathema and recorded a couple of demos before Jamie quit to pursue music engineering and was replaced by Duncan Patterson (according to Dunc, Danny played him their All Faith Is Lost demo cassette at a guitar store, convincing him to join the band) just before the band got signed to Peaceville Records.

Anathema is known as one of the pioneers of death/doom, a subgenre combining the growls and heaviness of death metal with the slow tempos of doom metal. The band was part of the "Peaceville Three" along with fellow death/doom pioneers Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride, although PL had left for Music for Nations (which would sign Anathema in 1999) by the time Anathema got its first official release out.

Without further ado, let's start with that release, The Crestfallen EP from 1992:

1. ...and I Lust
2. The Sweet Suffering
3. Everwake
4. Crestfallen
5. They Die

Line-up:

Daniel Cavanagh — guitar
Vincent Cavanagh — guitar
John Douglas — drums
Duncan Patterson — bass guitar
Darren White — vocals

Ruth Wilson — vocals on "Everwake"

This EP has its moments: "...and I Lust" is alright, and "Everwake" and "They Die" are great. However, that's not enough to make this a must-have IMO, especially when you can find "Everwake" on Falling Deeper and "They Die" on Serenades, and those versions aren't drastically different from those you hear on the EP. It's clear that the band was holding back and saving the best ideas for Serenades - maybe they knew that EPs get forgotten pretty easily? :lol I guess my opinion would be rather controversial among die-hard death/doom fans, as I know the title-track is considered a classic of the genre (possibly the whole EP too).

Those who want to read a more detailed review with some tidbits of trivia can find one on my blog: https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/06/anathema-discography-1-crestfallen-ep.html (sorry about the shameless plug, but I don't want to make my posts in this thread massive walls of text, and it's just one click away for those who are interested!)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:20:07 AM by ? »

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Anathema Discography v. Misery, a lifetime's journey
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
Awesome to see this started finally.

It's been a couple weeks since I've listened to this EP, so I'm going to give it a relished before posting my thoughts.

As you mentioned, pretty cool how John Douglas and Vincent met, being seated alphabetically in school. The rest is history!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 01:06:34 PM »
Following.

I literally know nothing about this band other than many folks on this forum seem to like them. I'm listening to the EP now and enjoying it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 01:26:33 PM »
... And I Lust is not a very memorable opener for me and it never has been. Not quite sure why, but maybe it just takes me a little while to ease into things. Sweet Suffering is, however, a bit of a step up. Particularly the second half, when the tempo starts to pick up a bit more and it moves towards the climax. Everwake makes for a nice breather/interlude, but not much more imo. Pleasant, but nothing that gets me too excited. As for the title track, I have to agree with you. A bit overrated, I think. Unfortunately, despite liking a couple parts of the song, as a whole I find it to be long winded and predictable. Not sure what else to say about it... I do really like the piano melody, but that's a topic of conversation for another week.

They Die would have to be my favorite. Overall a really solid closer- awesome main riff and I love the way it gradually slows down before suddenly picking things up for the final push and (they die) whisper.

Echoing what was already said, I get the sense that these tracks are a sort of 'Serenades-lite' collection. Overall pretty good, but not nearly as good as what would come later. Sweet Suffering, despite being my second favorite track on the EP, sounds to me like its on par with some of the weak-to-middling tracks on Serenades. Nothing bad, per se, just a teaser of the greatness that's to follow.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »
Finally! Definitely following.

I'm not really a fan of doom in general, and sadly I find this EP quite unmemorable :P .

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 01:36:40 PM »
I'll bite.  What limited Anathema I've heard I enjoyed.  And they were pretty good on the ProgNation at Sea festival.  Will listen to this tomorrow.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 01:41:37 PM »
Yeah, I'll join too. I was never big on Anathema, but I've bought and listened to Weather System a few months ago, and I really liked what I've heard there, so let's see what's this all about.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 01:43:26 PM »
Yeah, I'll join too. I was never big on Anathema, but I've bought and listened to Weather System a few months ago, and I really liked what I've heard there, so let's see what's this all about.
Knowing your take on growls/harsh vocals, I'd wait until we reach Alternative 4, or Eternity at least, when they get clean ;) .

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »
As for the title track, I have to agree with you. A bit overrated, I think. Unfortunately, despite liking a couple parts of the song, as a whole I find it to be long winded and predictable. Not sure what else to say about it... I do really like the piano melody, but that's a topic of conversation for another week.
Yeah, I think the intro (up until the vocals come in) is the best part of the song. That riff during "Lord, in your mercy, hear my prayer" sounds kind of awkward in such a slow tempo - as the 7" version shows, the song was a lot faster originally.

BTW, the My Dying Bride song Danny referred to as a "rip-off" was Sear Me. I think the tempo and the vibe are similar to Crestfallen, but I don't consider this a case of plagiarism because the actual melodies aren't that similar. A lot of doom sounds pretty samey anyway. :lol On the other hand, Danny said one of the guitarists in MDB had admitted the inspiration when they were touring together, so... :dunno:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 01:57:17 PM »
Yes- both jingle and Evermind... It's good to hear that you'll be giving it a try, just try to keep in mind that not liking Crestfallen has almost no bearing at all on most of the albums to come (particularly Weather Systems or what they played on the cruise). And if you really hate it, in the interest of not turning you off to the entire discography, you might even want to skip the next couple entries.

But if you don't, that's great too. I'll be curious to see both of your thoughts.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 02:02:21 PM »
As for the title track, I have to agree with you. A bit overrated, I think. Unfortunately, despite liking a couple parts of the song, as a whole I find it to be long winded and predictable. Not sure what else to say about it... I do really like the piano melody, but that's a topic of conversation for another week.
Yeah, I think the intro (up until the vocals come in) is the best part of the song. That riff during "Lord, in your mercy, hear my prayer" sounds kind of awkward in such a slow tempo - as the 7" version shows, the song was a lot faster originally.

BTW, the My Dying Bride song Danny referred to as a "rip-off" was Sear Me. I think the tempo and the vibe are similar to Crestfallen, but I don't consider this a case of plagiarism because the actual melodies aren't that similar. A lot of doom sounds pretty samey anyway. :lol On the other hand, Danny said one of the guitarists in MDB had admitted the inspiration when they were touring together, so... :dunno:

I've not heard MDB before, but in my limited experience with Doom metal, I'd have to say that I agree with your assessment on how it's rather samey/redundant after a while. I'm sure someone more knowledgable may disagree. Thankfully I can still enjoy it quite a bit in smaller doses, so I appreciate that Anathema has a few bite-sized offerings for me to nibble on when I'm in the mood.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »
Yes- both jingle and Evermind... It's good to hear that you'll be giving it a try, just try to keep in mind that not liking Crestfallen has almost no bearing at all on most of the albums to come (particularly Weather Systems or what they played on the cruise). And if you really hate it, in the interest of not turning you off to the entire discography, you might even want to skip the next couple entries.

But if you don't, that's great too. I'll be curious to see both of your thoughts.

I'll listen for the sake of being a completionist.  I might shit all over it, but I'll listen.   :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 04:43:31 PM »

I'll listen for the sake of being a completionist.  I might shit all over it, but I'll listen.   :biggrin:
[/quote]

Not a doom dude, but Illcheck it out too.  I listened to 30 mins of Judgment... Wasn't really feeling it like their later stuff.  I'll check out this EP now.
Signature

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 04:56:36 PM »
Yeah...  That's a different band.  Wow!  I couldn't make it through a whole song except Everwake...   Definitely a stand alone among the growls.   It was nice.  😉
Signature

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 04:59:41 PM »
Okay, after three songs I kinda zoned out and thought I'd better re-listen...but I just can't wind up any enthusiasm to do it.

Next!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »
Following. I'm definitely not a big fan of their first few albums but I might just try another few listens.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 01:10:15 AM »
Crestfallen is a really cool EP. Haven't listened to it in a while, but it's definitely great.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 07:35:40 AM »
Boy I'm glad that is over with.  Not the worst thing I've ever listened to, and I won't shit on it just for being in a genre that simply ain't my cuppa tea.

Let's get thru these early releases, and on to the releases that get proggy and symphonic.  Heck, I'll even take electronica over doom/thrash.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 07:50:55 AM »
I will keep an eye on this thread.  I can't say that I have heard anything from them that I liked - just from limited sampling here and there.  It bugs me a bit when friends who have similar taste love a band that I can't fathom ,so I'll always give it a go -  to be sure, to be sure .

My initial impressions are usually a good indicator though  :angel:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 08:20:24 AM »
Boy I'm glad that is over with.  Not the worst thing I've ever listened to, and I won't shit on it just for being in a genre that simply ain't my cuppa tea.

Let's get thru these early releases, and on to the releases that get proggy and symphonic.  Heck, I'll even take electronica over doom/thrash.

:lol I would have been surprised to see you say anything else

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 10:11:01 AM »
I will keep an eye on this thread.  I can't say that I have heard anything from them that I liked - just from limited sampling here and there.  It bugs me a bit when friends who have similar taste love a band that I can't fathom ,so I'll always give it a go -  to be sure, to be sure .

My initial impressions are usually a good indicator though  :angel:

I can't imagine you would find too much you like from them, even from their later material (We're Here and Weather Systems are two of my top albums from the past 5 years), but you never know . . .
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »
I gave Crestfallen another listen this evening. I'm not enjoying it quite as much as I have in the past, but I'm still happy enough with it. The decreased enjoyment is likely just a result of being in a slightly different place now, emotionally. This past winter, going through a bit of a rough patch, I listened to Serenades around 5 times a week. It (and Crestfallen) was great then, but now I'm craving something a little different (i.e. The brighter side of things)

Even still... They Die  :metal

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »
Yeah, well, I listened to it. I liked Everwake, that's a nice song, and some instrumental parts on other songs were quite good and kick-ass, but I don't think I will ever spin this one again. Out of four other tracks, I think I liked They Die most. Crestfallen I think has some ridiculous vocals, and I really don't remember anything about the first two songs.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 08:06:59 PM »
Yeah, well, I listened to it. I liked Everwake, that's a nice song, and some instrumental parts on other songs were quite good and kick-ass, but I don't think I will ever spin this one again. Out of four other tracks, I think I liked They Die most. Crestfallen I think has some ridiculous vocals, and I really don't remember anything about the first two songs.

I remembered there were lots of growls.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 04:42:40 AM »
Really glad this thread has started!

I haven't listened to their early stuff in a long, long time.  Mostly because I wasn't crazy about it.  But in the spirit of the thread, I am now listening to The Crestfallen again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 05:21:57 AM »
Well, that was...interesting  :lol

Upward and onward!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2015, 06:33:46 AM »

Yeah, growls were there. :lol That's not the most eloquent and detailed description though, I can't even tell what were the melodies or the chorus like.

Looking forward for the next one!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 06:39:12 AM »
Yeah, growls were there. :lol That's not the most eloquent and detailed description though, I can't even tell what were the melodies or the chorus like.

Looking forward for the next one!
To be fair, there aren't proper choruses in any of the songs. :P

BTW, did you guys listen to Crestfallen and They Die from the Spotify player or did you look for the actual EP versions? As I said in the blog post, the 7" single versions on the Pentecost III/Crestfallen reissue are pretty much unlistenable even to me! :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 02:38:33 PM »
The album isn't on North American Spotify (or more specifically, Canadian).  Had to listen via someone's YT playlist.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 03:00:23 PM »
Spotify isn't available in my country, so, well

Had to listen via someone's YT playlist.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. A harmony to breathe forevermore
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »
Alright, there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the EP, so let's move on to the proper debut album:

Serenades (1993)

1. Lovelorn Rhapsody
2. Sweet Tears
3. J'ai fait une promesse
4. They (Will Always) Die
5. Sleepless
6. Sleep in Sanity
7. Scars of the Old Stream
8. Under a Veil (of Black Lace)
9. Where Shadows Dance
10. Dreaming: The Romance

Line-up:

Darren J. White - vocals
John Douglas - drums
Duncan Patterson - bass
Vincent Cavanagh - guitars
Danny Cavanagh - guitars

Ruth - vocals on "J'ai fait une promesse"

After the release of The Crestfallen EP Anathema toured the UK supporting Cannibal Corpse. Although both bands were metal back then, the tastes of the Anathema guys were already veering away from heavy music, as Vincent recalls talking about The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin to the CC guys.

Serenades was released in February 1993. A music video was made for "Sweet Tears" and it received a fair amount of airplay on Headbangers Ball. According to Duncan Patterson, that song and future fan-favorite "Sleepless" were the last ones written for the album, as Peaceville had asked them to write something more accessible, presumably with the promo video in mind. With the help of the video and touring in Europe with bands like At the Gates, Cradle of Filth (Darren played drums for COF in the early days and made a guest vocal appearance on their debut) and fellow doomsters My Dying Bride, the ball started rolling and Anathema began to build a fanbase. You can find professionally filmed footage from one of the shows in Romania in 1994 - this video of They Die includes an incident where the band apparently got mad at the violent security guys and Danny shouted obscenities at them (right before the 7-minute mark).

Serenades has gems like "Lovelorn Rhapsody" and "They (Will Always) Die". "Sleep in Sanity" is great as well, although it might've been better as an instrumental, and "Sleepless" has deserved its popularity, although it's not a top 3 song on the album and sounds a lot better with Vincent's vocals live. The biggest problem with the album is that there are way too many filler interludes - they prove that Anathema wasn't a standard metal band, and it may have been cool to experiment in the studio, but they make the record feel unfocused and fragmented, and only "J'ai fait une promesse" is worth listening to. Darren White's "clean" vocals are another weakness and it's no wonder he didn't stay in the band for too long when their music started to change. Despite these shortcomings, I think Serenades is the best classic death/doom debut from the early 90s I've heard, but it's clear that while Anathema were pretty good at what they were doing, they were still finding their feet and looking for ways to expand their sound.

(Full review: https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/06/anathema-discography-2-serenades-1993.html)

Some extra listening for those who are familiar with the album already: the early demo song "All Faith Is Lost" was re-recorded for the American import version of Serenades. It's much more primitive compared to the songs on the actual album, even with the more polished production and is in (drop?) A tuning, which is the lowest ever used in an Anathema song. There's also an earlier recording of "Lovelorn Rhapsody" on the Resonance 2 compilation - it's a little faster than the album version, but not drastically different.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »
I don't necessarily agree with a lot of what you've said- I think Serenades is vastly underrated and relatively free of any filler (outside of the final track, imo). Still, nice write-up. And thanks for sharing that video from Romania- I'd never seen it before.

I'll give the album a full listen before saying anything more, but just out of curiosity, how would you rank the songs? Curious to see Sleepless not one of your top 3, since it seems to be generally adored. I actually agree with you, but I'm curious to hear where it falls in your ranking

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »
Spotify isn't available in my country, so, well

Had to listen via someone's YT playlist.

Gives real meaning to the 'meanwhile in Russia' meme.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 02:04:40 PM »
I think that Serenades is an awesome debut full-length album, despite not being too fond of a couple things. The most obvious being the closing track. I find it unnecessarily long, out of place, and quite pointless. With that being said, it's not unpleasant. I quite enjoy the atmosphere and I rarely feel the need to turn off the album once I reach it. And in those rare instances when I am inclined to pass, it's very easy to do so.

Setting that odd duck aside, I'm happy to say that this is not my least favorite Anathema album. For the longest time I thought it was and didn't really give it a shot. More recently, particularly with the announcement for the Resonance tour, I took a more active look back through the entire discography and found myself very surprised by Serenades. Now, a few months later, I'd probably rate it as a middle of the pack Anathema album, though it all depends on my mood for the day.

Under a Veil (of Black Lace) and Lovelorn Rhapsody in particular stand out to me as incredibly strong early-Anathema songs, and that's not to mention some of the other great songs on here. All in all, I think Serenades is a really big step up from Crestfallen.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2015, 03:07:37 PM »
Serenades is pretty good. Definitely the weakest Anathema album, but it still has great moments. Sleepless is one of Anathema's finest tracks, Dreaming: The Romance is an amazing headphone-listening experience, and tracks like Sleep in Sanity and Lovelorn Rhapsody are pretty rocking. It's definitely a different Anathema, but not really different-bad. I enjoy the album, and those songs I mentioned in particular. I'd say the album is maybe a 7 out of 10 or so. Great, but their other albums did different things better. Solid debut though.