Author Topic: The AI revolution.  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
The AI revolution.
« on: June 23, 2015, 07:06:05 AM »
Has anyone else seen this in the recent days?

https://www.iflscience.com/technology/artificial-intelligence-dreams

Software engineers at Google have been analyzing the 'dreams' of their computers. And it turns out that androids do dream of electric sheep... and also pig-snails, camel-birds and dog-fish.

This conclusion has been made after testing the ability of Google's servers to recognize and create images of commonplace objects – for example, bananas and measuring cups. The result of this experiment is some tessellating Escher-esque artwork with Dali-like quirks.

Highly detailed elements seem to pop up out of nowhere. This processed image of a cloudy sky proves that Google's artificial neural network is the champion of finding pictures in a cloudy sky.

Finally, the designers gave the computer full, free reign over its artwork. The final pieces were beautiful pictures derived from a mechanical mind – what the engineers are calling 'dreams.' The 'blank canvas' was simply an image of white noise. The computer pulled out patterns from the noise and created dreamscapes: pictures that could only come from an infinite imagination. 

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 06:41:00 AM by Chino »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Google and the AI revolution.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 07:08:43 AM »
Reminds me of the start of The Second Renaissance. Creepy.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 07:21:32 AM »
The one with the pagodas is absolutely beautiful. I'd put that on my wall.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:23:21 AM »
It's very interesting to see Google's image recognition algorithms bent in strange ways, but the article is too embellished and stretched to make the story seem more interesting to the average person. I'd love to get some actual insight into the process with an article aimed at adults.
And despite how many images Google has in its database, it's still not particularly good at the most simple types of image recognition.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 07:31:58 AM »
It's very interesting to see Google's image recognition algorithms bent in strange ways, but the article is too embellished and stretched to make the story seem more interesting to the average person. I'd love to get some actual insight into the process with an article aimed at adults.

Agreed. I haven't been able to find much. Most of what I've seen is literally the same wall of text and images copied and pasted between sites. It's still pretty cool though, and it is a pretty big leap forward in turns of getting a machine to interpret information through an array of senses and actually create a mental image.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 08:13:03 AM »

Agreed. I haven't been able to find much. Most of what I've seen is literally the same wall of text and images copied and pasted between sites. It's still pretty cool though, and it is a pretty big leap forward in turns of getting a machine to interpret information through an array of senses and actually create a mental image.

It just appears to be machine learning with an insanely huge database. The basic approach isn't new, and shows no signs of understanding anything yet, and never will in its current guise. But the basic approach is the very start of the right approach. Once they can program a computer to interpret data well enough to make it completely generic to input type and make broader abstract connections, then we might finally see something truly amazing.
For now it's just spitting out cool trippy imagery based on oversensitive recognition. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 08:15:53 AM »
I seriously don't understand anything I read in the OP.  :lol  Not Chino's fault. It's the subject matter.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 08:16:34 AM »

It just appears to be machine learning with an insanely huge database. The basic approach isn't new, and shows no signs of understanding anything yet, and never will in its current guise. But the basic approach is the very start of the right approach. Once they can program a computer to interpret data well enough to make it completely generic to input type and make broader abstract connections, then we might finally see something truly amazing.
For now it's just spitting out cool trippy imagery based on oversensitive recognition. :lol

Here's a video I came across a few years ago. It's not super advanced, but you might still find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfPkHU_36Cs

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 08:20:51 AM »
Here's a video I came across a few years ago. It's not super advanced, but you might still find it interesting.

I've seen that one before, and found it interesting (along with the entire history of Honda's robotics program). :tup
Here's a good one I saw a while back about programming Watson to play Jeopardy, which this thread made me think of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAzeGkuQmUU
The most relevant explanatory stuff is from about 16 - 23 minutes in, but the whole thing is an interesting watch if you have the time.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 08:26:51 AM »

I've seen that one before, and found it interesting (along with the entire history of Honda's robotics program). :tup
Here's a good one I saw a while back about programming Watson to play Jeopardy, which this thread made me think of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAzeGkuQmUU
The most relevant explanatory stuff is from about 16 - 23 minutes in, but the whole thing is an interesting watch if you have the time.

Cool. I'll check that out after work when I can play youtube vids. Was that the 60 Minutes special?

Also, I'm sure you heard of this, but just incase in you didn't...  :lol
https://www.ibtimes.com/ibms-watson-gets-swear-filter-after-learning-urban-dictionary-1007734

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 08:35:22 AM »
Cool. I'll check that out after work when I can play youtube vids. Was that the 60 Minutes special?

Also, I'm sure you heard of this, but just incase in you didn't...  :lol
https://www.ibtimes.com/ibms-watson-gets-swear-filter-after-learning-urban-dictionary-1007734

No, it's from some documentary series apparently.

And I had not heard about that. :lol I'd love to see some of the stuff it was coming out with from that.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The AI revolution.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 06:47:33 AM »
 Not finding any deals on Prime Day yesterday, I pulled the triggered and preordered one of these little guys. I've been reading about them for a while, but I was sold once I read that an SDK will be released allowing users to basically do whatever they're capable of.

The creators of this have said it runs off an "emotion engine". I guess they've built some pretty solid software that come pretty close to replicating emotions, and those change within the robot based on its surrounding and what you do with it. In one of the interviews I read, the creator said something like "We wanted to create something that you actually feel guilty about neglecting or leaving alone while you go on vacation".

https://anki.com/en-us/cozmo

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 09:19:45 AM »
Looks interesting.  Not entirely sure what the point is other than a novelty item, but could be interesting if it works as advertised with regards to learning you and adjusting.  And kind of scarey too it if does work as intended.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 09:22:50 AM »
Looks interesting.  Not entirely sure what the point is other than a novelty item, but could be interesting if it works as advertised with regards to learning you and adjusting.  And kind of scarey too it if does work as intended.

I'm more curious than anything. If I didn't have the ability to program my own stuff into it, I probably wouldn't be as interested. I kind of view this thing as a modern day Tomagotchi (I'm hoping I don't have to pretend to feed this thing). Part of me also wants to support the tech. I figure it could be a fun novelty to have on the desk at work. It's got pretty advanced facial recognition from what I understand. Maybe I could program it to alert me if my boss is on his way over  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 09:29:48 AM »
Ha that would be cool, I wonder how easy it will be to program.  Im also curious if the games are actually fun too.  Seems you got to play with it to make full use, but if the games aren't fun then whats the point.  But being able to program it yourself opens up lots of possibilities especially if others out there are smart and can make some pretty cool programs for it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 09:40:29 AM »
I wondering if all of the games require those LED blocks they include. I hope it's able to find its charging station and dock on its own when it's power starts running low, kind of like a Roomba vacuum.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 09:59:06 AM »
Another cool little article.

https://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2016/06/27/anki-2/#gref

This ain’t your average pet rock. For example, in a block-building game, you can leave blocks around for Cozmo to stack. If you mess with Cozmo’s stack by putting another block on top when he hasn’t finished, he might get pissed off and pushes the whole thing over and laughs maniacally (Cozmo doesn’t actually speak, but make Wall-E-like noises to emote his feelings).

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 10:05:12 AM »
I thought I read that the robot will charge itself... and lol at it laughing.  I feel like I'd be evil and constantly piss it off.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 10:10:50 AM »
Here were some of the earlier versions.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 02:32:39 AM »
Regarding AI (r)evolution, I highly recommend this read (bottom of this post). It's long and even in two parts, but it's very informative and insightful and actually quite scary as well. Basically, the article makes it seem like we have no idea what we're unleashing and it makes a very valid point, I believe.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 08:30:34 AM »
Interesting read.

https://www.firstpost.com/india/facebook-researchers-shut-down-ai-bots-that-started-speaking-in-a-language-unintelligible-to-humans-3876197.html

"The AI did not start shutting down computers worldwide or something of the sort, but it stopped using English and started using a language that it created," the report noted. Initially the AI agents used English to converse with each other but they later created a new language that only AI systems could understand, thus, defying their purpose. This led Facebook researchers to shut down the AI systems and then force them to speak to each other only in English.

In June, researchers from the Facebook AI Research Lab (FAIR) found that while they were busy trying to improve chatbots, the "dialogue agents" were creating their own language. Soon, the bots began to deviate from the scripted norms and started communicating in an entirely new language which they created without human input, media reports said. Using machine learning algorithms, the "dialogue agents" were left to converse freely in an attempt to strengthen their conversational skills.

The researchers also found these bots to be "incredibly crafty negotiators". "After learning to negotiate, the bots relied on machine learning and advanced strategies in an attempt to improve the outcome of these negotiations," the report said. "Over time, the bots became quite skilled at it and even began feigning interest in one item in order to 'sacrifice' it at a later stage in the negotiation as a faux compromise," it added.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 08:55:23 AM »
Not finding any deals on Prime Day yesterday, I pulled the triggered and preordered one of these little guys. I've been reading about them for a while, but I was sold once I read that an SDK will be released allowing users to basically do whatever they're capable of.

The creators of this have said it runs off an "emotion engine". I guess they've built some pretty solid software that come pretty close to replicating emotions, and those change within the robot based on its surrounding and what you do with it. In one of the interviews I read, the creator said something like "We wanted to create something that you actually feel guilty about neglecting or leaving alone while you go on vacation".

https://anki.com/en-us/cozmo

My boys have these. I'll admit I have no idea of the full capacity of what they can do but they play with these things all the time.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 08:58:09 AM »
Do they like them? I had one from the initial release reserved and then cancelled it when I found out that they actually didn't process on their own. They have to be tied to an app over wifi to operate. I originally thought they'd be able to just roam around and do their own thing as long as they had a charge.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 09:07:38 AM »
Do they like them? I had one from the initial release reserved and then cancelled it when I found out that they actually didn't process on their own. They have to be tied to an app over wifi to operate. I originally thought they'd be able to just roam around and do their own thing as long as they had a charge.

I'm assuming they do because they play with that thing all the time. It 'acts' like it's own little person....makes noises of affirmation and different faces and what not and again....I don't know much about it.....but from what I see when they are playing with it.....that little thing will go wherever those blocks are placed as if it is guided by them?

They have fun with it for sure. I wish I knew more about it to be able to tell you more.....all I did was foot the bill for it  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »

I'm assuming they do because they play with that thing all the time. It 'acts' like it's own little person....makes noises of affirmation and different faces and what not and again....I don't know much about it.....but from what I see when they are playing with it.....that little thing will go wherever those blocks are placed as if it is guided by them?

They have fun with it for sure. I wish I knew more about it to be able to tell you more.....all I did was foot the bill for it  :lol

Haha. Yeah, from what I understand, the camera just recognizes the colors and shapes on those blocks. The other thing that sucks and makes me kind of happy I didn't by it was being able to custom code the thing. Originally, the creators stated that there'd be some open source capability and an SDK included that would allow older people like myself to be able to write their own code and get the robot to do things that the creators may not have ever thought of, basically anything you could think of given the included hardware. As far as I know, that tool has still yet to have been made available and you're still limited to how it is right out of the box.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 09:20:41 AM »
Do you code, Chino?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
Do you code, Chino?

Not so much these days unless it's SQL. For a few years I messed around with Visual Basic, just making basic games and inventory tracking stuff. While I wasn't proficient in C, I was able to understand it well enough to know what was going on and could provide input when I was mentoring for the local robotics team.

I was looking forward to this because I enjoy coding stuff, I could just never do it for a career. This would have been a fun thing to do on the side while keeping my brain sharp. I've been telling myself I was going to by a Vex robotics kit for programming sake, but I've never gotten around to it. Every time I have a few hundred bucks to piss away, it ends up getting spent on RC truck stuff or one of my other projects.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »
You could also get into Arduino stuff. Very simple code to get into, and a lot of cool add-on cards for sensors etc, and you could always incorporate it into your RC projects if you had any crazy ideas with motors and lights, or some kind of sensors or cameras.
I also only code as a hobby because I prefer the "write some sloppy as shit code until it does stuff" approach. I just make games with Unity for some fun side projects.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
You could also get into Arduino stuff. Very simple code to get into, and a lot of cool add-on cards for sensors etc, and you could always incorporate it into your RC projects if you had any crazy ideas with motors and lights, or some kind of sensors or cameras.
I also only code as a hobby because I prefer the "write some sloppy as shit code until it does stuff" approach. I just make games with Unity for some fun side projects.

Those look pretty cool. I hadn't heard of those before. I might give it a go.