Author Topic: Steven Wilson Survivor 2015 - PLEASE READ OP  (Read 1842 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Steven Wilson Survivor 2015 - PLEASE READ OP
« on: June 21, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »
I have decided that I don't want to run this survivor. If this disappoints anyone, I apologise. If anyone would like to take over the running of it, it's all yours.

Mods, please lock this thread.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:12:07 AM by RoeDent »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson Survivor 2015 - Results/Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »
I'm in. 48 hours is my pick.

Also, I'm curious, why does GfD get the separate survivor for each disc?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »
I'm in. 48 hours is my pick.

Also, I'm curious, why does GfD get the separate survivor for each disc?

To make certain that each disc gets equal representation in the Finals.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 12:56:42 PM »
Alright, guess it's your call. I just don't tend to separate this album by discs, it's a whole huge musical adventure for me.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »
I've decided that each main round will last for 48 hours. If there is a tie in any round:

1. A 24-hour tiebreaker round will take place. If it's still tied:

2. Each song's total votes will be counted. Highest total is eliminated. If it's still level:

3. I will cast the deciding vote.

We have to be prepared for all these eventualities, to make sure the survivor runs as smoothly as possible.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 12:44:21 PM »
Sounds like fun, I'm in  :tup
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 01:07:17 PM »
Is there any reason to have First Regret and Ascendant as their own songs in the HCE poll, that's just two poll threads wasted and both of them are reeeeally part of the songs after/before anyways. I can understand separating Home Invasion and Regret #9, at least, but.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »
Woo, I'm in!
I am also confused about why Grace for Drowning is getting two, when it doesn't have many more tracks than the others. It's all one album, and depending on which version you have it may not even be in that particular order or split up into two discs at all.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 05:35:47 AM »
Why is it such a big deal? How hard is it to think "Which is my least favourite out of this bunch of songs?" for each disc? This is the way it is being done, end of. Besides, during promo for GfD, I distinctly remember SW saying that it's effectively two albums packaged together. The two-tournament method is to guarantee that at least one song from each disc gets through to the Finals. Bearing in mind, in case you missed it in the OP, that only the top-ranked song from each disc will go straight to the Finals, it's not got any more of an advantage in the Finals than the other albums.

Also, I'm going by the CD tracklisting for the HCE tournament.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:08:42 AM by RoeDent »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 05:57:48 AM »
Everything looks great. I'm in.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 08:30:03 AM »
I think splitting GFD makes for a nice twist, I'm looking forward to this survivor!  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 09:36:19 AM »
It's just, including those two tracks on HCE is 4 days of survivor time wasted on songs that aren't even songs on their own and are clearly going to go out in the first two rounds and i dunno that bothers me a lot

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 02:31:44 PM »
It's just, including those two tracks on HCE is 4 days of survivor time wasted on songs that aren't even songs on their own and are clearly going to go out in the first two rounds and i dunno that bothers me a lot

But in which order will they go out? There's the uncertainty. 4 days, compared with the 3 months or so it should take to run the whole thing, is hardly any time at all really. Those songs must be given the same chance as every other song in the survivor. If it really bothers you that much, then you don't have to vote in those rounds.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »
Why is it such a big deal? How hard is it to think "Which is my least favourite out of this bunch of songs?" for each disc? This is the way it is being done, end of. Besides, during promo for GfD, I distinctly remember SW saying that it's effectively two albums packaged together. The two-tournament method is to guarantee that at least one song from each disc gets through to the Finals. Bearing in mind, in case you missed it in the OP, that only the top-ranked song from each disc will go straight to the Finals, it's not got any more of an advantage in the Finals than the other albums.

Okay. Nobody said it was a big deal, I'm just not understanding why it's important that one song from each disc be in the finals.
I'd be curious to hear where he said that because I've never thought of it as two albums, and I've never heard it referred to that way by SW or anybody else. It all flows like one album to me. (On a side note, I sort of think the way it's arranged on the vinyl flows better than the CD. Raider II goes so well into Belle de Jour.)

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 04:42:32 AM »
Okay. Nobody said it was a big deal, I'm just not understanding why it's important that one song from each disc be in the finals.
I'd be curious to hear where he said that because I've never thought of it as two albums, and I've never heard it referred to that way by SW or anybody else. It all flows like one album to me. (On a side note, I sort of think the way it's arranged on the vinyl flows better than the CD. Raider II goes so well into Belle de Jour.)

First paragraph here.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

-------------------

Really dug myself into a hole here, haven't I? To be honest, I'm genuinely beginning to have second thoughts about doing this. Trying to respond to all this "You're doing it wrong" is proving mentally exhausting for me. You're probably right; I am doing it "wrong". "These tracks should be together." "These discs should be together." We had no such complaints first time around, so why now? It's just wiped any joy and excitement I had for running this thing. I don't have to put myself through this. Maybe someone with a better brain for this sort of thing can take over.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:11:12 AM by RoeDent »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 07:46:56 AM »
I have no problem if there are separate survivors for the two GFD discs. After all, those two discs have their own titles, and even SW said they might be easier to listen to separately.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »
Sounds like fun, I'm in  :tup

Woo, I'm in!

Everything looks great. I'm in.

I think splitting GFD makes for a nice twist, I'm looking forward to this survivor!  :tup

I have no problem if there are separate survivors for the two GFD discs. After all, those two discs have their own titles, and even SW said they might be easier to listen to separately.

I agree with all of the above.  I'm in too!  Thanks RoeDent!
- Ronzoni -

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 08:33:54 AM »
Hey, I was just asking, no offense intended. But, well, when you organize something, be it something serious like some project at work, or something lighthearted like a survivor on DTF, you have to be prepared to the questions and the criticism. And well, in serious stuff it's also important to be able to walk this thin line between taking everyone's opinion into consideration and still doing the thing the way you want; but in fun things like DTF survivor, it's totally your call.

I mean, I was genuinely curious about two survivors for GfD (I didn't know about that SW "two albums" quote. The more you know), but in the end, it doesn't really matter if GfD will have two survivors or one, or if we'll spend four more days eliminating Ascendant Here On and First Regret, I bet everyone who responded to this thread and more people will play, vote and have fun in this survivor anyway. So, well, no reason to be upset if you ask me.

I think you're doing a good job on this, and I once again apologize if I offended you somehow. :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 08:35:38 AM »
What DTF's most eloquent Russian guy says.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Steven Wilson Survivor 2015 - PLEASE READ OP
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 12:04:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm sorry if I offended you but I don't see anybody getting out of line here or even criticizing. A few people asked questions about the structure, and most people (including those same people) have said they're excited... so what's the problem? You've always done a great job with these and nobody is debating that, just sharing opinions- isn't that what a survivor is all about?

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 06:30:41 PM »
Damn. Who is willing to run this? I'd love to, but have a very important exam in two weeks so I might no log in every day :-\

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2015, 04:01:09 AM »
Wow. All because of discs.