Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 336924 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #3535 on: March 17, 2024, 07:41:50 AM »
Definitely tell the doc. They can just switch up the type of statin.

I have family history of this stuff. So i got out on statins last year because my cholesterol was insane and I don’t eat meat, or smoke, or any of that stuff. Initially put on 40mg then cut down to 20. Cholesterol is now like 125. So I might see if they can half it again.

But no side effects other than mild joint pain the first week.

I’d strongly suggest just asking them to switch up the type of statin.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3536 on: March 17, 2024, 04:12:18 PM »
Today is the first day in the past 9 days that I've felt human again.  I very much appreciate the posts.  I'm going to stick it out a little bit longer.  From everything I've read on the interwebs, Crestor seems to have one of the lowest side effect profiles of statins.  Of course everyone reacts differently to different meds so switching might be helpful if things don't continue to improve.  I think there is a small subset of people who simply cannot do statins at all.  There are other options for them too, so I'm sure eventually I will stumble upon the right drug.

Now I have a Huey Lewis and The News song stuck in my head.  Hey that would make a great pharmaceutical ad song!   :laugh:
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3537 on: March 17, 2024, 04:20:25 PM »
Are you hip to be square?

Glad you are better. I have no idea what statins are. Guess I have avoided that malady so far.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3538 on: March 17, 2024, 04:59:25 PM »
I wanna new drug, one that won’t make sick
One that won’t make me crash my car
One that won’t make me feel three feet thick
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3539 on: March 17, 2024, 06:00:35 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3540 on: March 17, 2024, 10:07:43 PM »
I've been on simvastatin (Zocor) for years now. Can't recall ever having any side effects. My cholesterol was never terribly bad. My triglycerides are the problem. Nice little genetic condition that makes them sky high even on a good diet. Almost killed me in my early 20's.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3541 on: March 18, 2024, 06:19:20 AM »
I'm on plenty of medicines, but I've always been lucky with side effects not really hitting for me on most of them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3542 on: March 24, 2024, 10:49:45 AM »
In a few months, I turn 38. What sorts of things await me in my 40s? Overall, I seem on a good path but I also need to lose a lot of weight. That's my current "project".

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3543 on: March 24, 2024, 01:12:51 PM »
In a few months, I turn 38. What sorts of things await me in my 40s? Overall, I seem on a good path but I also need to lose a lot of weight. That's my current "project".

You're in for a world of pain.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3544 on: March 24, 2024, 01:20:52 PM »
And not know how that pain happened.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3545 on: March 24, 2024, 01:50:34 PM »
Somewhere in this thread is a post by Orbert describing stretching before getting out of bed. Heed the warning!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3546 on: March 24, 2024, 02:35:52 PM »

I threw my back out getting out of bed the literal morning of my 40th birthday....and.....now that I'm 48 I can attest to that in your 40's a movement or motion that seemingly is benign can and will pull a muscle for no other reason other than apparently the body thinks it's funny.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3547 on: March 24, 2024, 03:57:06 PM »

I threw my back out getting out of bed the literal morning of my 40th birthday....and.....now that I'm 48 I can attest to that in your 40's a movement or motion that seemingly is benign can and will pull a muscle for no other reason other than apparently the body thinks it's funny.
And those soft tissue injuries that used to take days, or maybe a week to heal will take weeks and maybe months.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3548 on: March 24, 2024, 04:55:43 PM »
I've been fighting what appears to be tennis elbow in my left elbow. Been going on for months. Was hoping it would pass but it just never gets over the hump. I forget about it and lift or do something I shouldn't and it lets me know. Probably going to have to see my doctor soon to get some images and probably PT. Not looking forward to that.

Like others have said, not a clue what I did. It just happened.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3549 on: March 24, 2024, 05:04:24 PM »
I've been fighting what appears to be tennis elbow in my left elbow. Been going on for months. Was hoping it would pass but it just never gets over the hump. I forget about it and lift or do something I shouldn't and it lets me know. Probably going to have to see my doctor soon to get some images and probably PT. Not looking forward to that.

When I had a bad case of this I bought an E Stim machine and used it to treat it. Seemed to have sped up the healing process.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3550 on: March 24, 2024, 08:37:17 PM »
What’s to joke? “how’d you hurt your back?” …”I took a nap”.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3551 on: March 24, 2024, 09:35:20 PM »

It took me about 6 months to get past mine.  It was awful.  Haven't dealt with it since though.  But this is true:

I can attest to that in your 40's a movement or motion that seemingly is benign can and will pull a muscle for no other reason other than apparently the body thinks it's funny.

I can move awkwardly and feel something "pop" or hurt.  I wear kneepads now when I'm kneeling on the floor and working on something or putting together furniture.  Lately, it's been neck pain - rocking out listening to music doesn't help, but I tend to sleep with my neck at odd angles and I'll wake up with a sore neck. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3552 on: March 25, 2024, 06:10:48 AM »
We started pulling up boards to redo our deck yesterday.  Worked about an hour.   

I feel like I got hit by a truck this morning. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3553 on: March 25, 2024, 06:15:58 AM »
Reposting this from the chat thread.

This has been one hell of a weekend.

Power went out Sunday morning at 2 am.  I woke up right away since my C-Pap machine wasn't working.  3 hours of sleep.  Got the generator up and running around noon since the basement flooded wit h4 inches of water.  Then I went to a concert to see Rick Wakeman of Yes fame 25 minutes from my house.  Got home and set my alarm clock and hour early by accident, so I woke up at 3:45 am this morning.

My head is so damn cloudy right now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3554 on: March 25, 2024, 07:55:56 AM »
That sucks Joe. I have two buddies who use the C Pap machine and they said the difference in sleep when using it is night and day. Hope you can get some rest tonight.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3555 on: March 25, 2024, 09:49:06 AM »
We had our first kid when I was 35. She and I would spend hours at the playground running around, playing tag, chase, and all that. We had our second when I was 41. Now I am 47, and it is hard on this old body at the park with this one.

I feel you.  We had ours when I was 34 and 36.  My older kid (son) played baseball until he was 14, and shagging balls at practice got progressively harder.  On the other hand, my parents were 46 and just shy of 44 when I was born.  I was still living at home when I was playing in bands in my early 20s, and my mother used to help me carry my speaker cabinets in and out of the house.  She was pretty damn amazing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3556 on: March 25, 2024, 10:06:15 AM »
Im 39 and tweaked my neck Thursday just sitting in my office. I spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nursing it and no running/work outs like I normally would. Rest, Ibuprofen, heating pad and a tennis ball on the traps. Today I eased back into a 2mi run. Getting old sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3557 on: March 25, 2024, 10:08:32 AM »
I'm 51 and attempted to watch the NCAA Tournament the way I wanted to the last 4 days (stop to start - around 12pm til after 1:30 am).

I've basically been in Zombieland, and just couldn't do it last night lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3558 on: March 25, 2024, 11:50:42 AM »
Im 39 and tweaked my neck Thursday just sitting in my office. I spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nursing it and no running/work outs like I normally would. Rest, Ibuprofen, heating pad and a tennis ball on the traps. Today I eased back into a 2mi run. Getting old sucks.

I'm also 39, I slept funny thursday and my lower back was in pain the entire weekend  :lol

Definitely seeing more and more small things become larger.  A night with poor sleep makes the day harder than it used to be for example.  Getting old sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3559 on: March 25, 2024, 11:57:24 AM »
I did some homework on new insert for my flat feet.  I got a new pair of sneakers as well.  Man, my feet feel great today.  What a difference this insert made.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3560 on: March 25, 2024, 12:26:11 PM »
I'm also 39, I slept funny thursday and my lower back was in pain the entire weekend  :lol

Definitely seeing more and more small things become larger.  A night with poor sleep makes the day harder than it used to be for example.  Getting old sucks.

I also now always book the day after a weeknight concert as PTO. Its like a hangover, without actually drinking.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3561 on: March 25, 2024, 12:47:59 PM »
I also now always book the day after a weeknight concert as PTO. Its like a hangover, without actually drinking.
No lies detected here.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3562 on: March 25, 2024, 02:05:59 PM »
I did some homework on new insert for my flat feet.  I got a new pair of sneakers as well.  Man, my feet feel great today.  What a difference this insert made.
Good ole New Balance. The DOJ should probably be investigating the podiatry industry for collusion with those guys, but damned if they really don't make a difference. Probably time for me to buy a new pair, but spending a buck-thirty plus tax on shoes makes me angry. And as another example of how expensive it is to be poor, buying two pair and alternating them will make them last 25%+ longer, not to mention keeping them from getting stinky.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3563 on: March 25, 2024, 02:18:54 PM »
Good ole New Balance. The DOJ should probably be investigating the podiatry industry for collusion with those guys, but damned if they really don't make a difference. Probably time for me to buy a new pair, but spending a buck-thirty plus tax on shoes makes me angry. And as another example of how expensive it is to be poor, buying two pair and alternating them will make them last 25%+ longer, not to mention keeping them from getting stinky.

I've been a new balance guy for 10+ years now.  They are great for my flat feet.  I agree, the price is steep, but they are built to last.  Usually can get 2 years out of them as an every day sneaker. (since I can wear sneakers at work).  I used to get made fun of for being "an old man" by my friends for wearing NB shoes, but I guess the times have changed and I see lots of kids wearing them now.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3564 on: March 25, 2024, 02:26:37 PM »
That's one I can usually shake off, so long as it's not too rough a show. I can still party, take a downer and crash at 0200 and make it to work. Seated show is no problem, but a standing show can kick my ass something awful.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3565 on: March 25, 2024, 02:31:14 PM »
I've been a new balance guy for 10+ years now.  They are great for my flat feet.  I agree, the price is steep, but they are built to last.  Usually can get 2 years out of them as an every day sneaker. (since I can wear sneakers at work).  I used to get made fun of for being "an old man" by my friends for wearing NB shoes, but I guess the times have changed and I see lots of kids wearing them now.
Most of mine have lasted a year or two, but I had one pair fall apart after about six months months. Like "sole was separating" falling apart. The problem is that since they're orthopedic shoes they're not actually supposed to be worn for long at all, and the warranty represents that. Six months for mine, and the doctor wants you to replace them sooner than that. In my case (high arches) my feet will tell me when there's a problem, and sure enough $145 later they're fine in a couple of days.
E.F. Benson

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3566 on: March 25, 2024, 03:11:44 PM »
That's one I can usually shake off, so long as it's not too rough a show. I can still party, take a downer and crash at 0200 and make it to work. Seated show is no problem, but a standing show can kick my ass something awful.

I wake up at 4am to work out and then start work at 630. 2am bed time is not enough sleep to go to work even skipping the work out lol And almost all shows are standing for me

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3567 on: March 25, 2024, 04:31:33 PM »

I've been buying Altra sneakers the last year. A bigger toe box. So comfortable.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3568 on: March 26, 2024, 04:25:16 AM »
I wake up at 4am to work out and then start work at 630. 2am bed time is not enough sleep to go to work even skipping the work out lol And almost all shows are standing for me

Does it make a difference?  :neverusethis:  :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3569 on: March 26, 2024, 05:58:41 AM »
I'm a New Balance guy too.  Started wearing them in my 30's - at the time, they were cheaper than other shoes from Nike or Reebok.  You used to be able to get them on sale for $40 a pair.  Now they're up to $70 for a pair of walking shoes.  They last me about a year and then I need a new pair.

I'm the dad with 3-4 pairs in various stages - one for grass cutting, one older pair on standby for becoming the new grass-cutting pair, one for painting, and a pair that I currently wear.