Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 336961 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #3500 on: August 19, 2023, 07:20:59 PM »
I can't understand why the hair on my head are all jumping off like they are on a sinking ship yet I can grow a fucking jungle in my asscrack.  Like, WTF?!

Must all look the same to your hair!  ;D ;D

I'm kidding! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3501 on: August 20, 2023, 04:27:18 AM »
You fucker!  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3502 on: August 21, 2023, 09:20:29 AM »
Another fun thing about getting old:

Random hairs in random places on your body that go "My time has arrived!  I will now grow faster... longer... thicker... stronger!"

It's like some mutation gets triggered and BAM! mutant hair somewhere (including places that normally don't have hair.  WTF?)

And it fucking happens overnight!  You go to sleep and everything is fine.  You get to work the next day and, after taking a whiz, you look at your face in the bathroom mirror, and BAM!  There's a 4-inch hair growing out of your eyebrow.  Dafuq!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3503 on: September 04, 2023, 09:01:18 PM »
Stumbled into a Culver's (semi-fast food that you order at the counter, then they bring it out to your table) after half a day of driving, tired, stoned, hungry.  After the wife and I confer, we're ready to order, except it turns out that we weren't ready to order.  Some things still had to be worked out.  Eventually I paid and she gave us the little number thing to put on the table.  I glanced at the receipt and saw that we were given the Senior Discount.  Yeah, fuckin' old people, taking too damned long to order.  I wasn't even mad.  Gimme that 5% discount.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3504 on: September 05, 2023, 04:19:46 AM »
I get the senior discount at Dunkin Donuts all the time. Lol. I post about it on Facebook and the calamity begins.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3505 on: September 05, 2023, 06:57:08 AM »
I'm still trying to remember to ask for the senior discount when we go places.  Not everyone has one, of course, but if they do, hey, I'll take a couple of bucks off here and there.  Discount has no pride.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3506 on: September 05, 2023, 06:59:00 AM »
I'm still trying to remember to ask for the senior discount when we go places.  Not everyone has one, of course, but if they do, hey, I'll take a couple of bucks off here and there.  Discount has no pride.

No it doesn't.  :lol  I finally got my first letter from AARP.  I never opened it. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3507 on: September 05, 2023, 12:10:36 PM »
We've been getting the AARP newsletter and magazine for a while now.  I glance at the magazine, and if there's someone on the cover that I care about, I might skim the article.  That's about it.  Otherwise it all goes straight into the recycling.

But senior discounts save me money.  We went to a museum recently, and the sign said:

Adults $12
Seniors $10
Children $5

I was glad that they listed it that way, because I'm used to just paying Adult price, and this reminded me that I can save a few bucks.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3508 on: September 05, 2023, 01:52:17 PM »
It's a great thing to get to the age where you get discounts. Better than being dead.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3509 on: September 05, 2023, 04:22:07 PM »
Went to the doc because of some reflux issues. It was getting that I couldn't sing, and that wasn't gonna work for me. Other than telling me (not in these words) that my fat ass needs to lose the gut, got some Rx help, and holy hell, I can sing again! Made my day this morning after day 4 on the meds. Gonna warm up on the way home and sing some tunes.   :metal

Now to lose some weight. I can't go full Nick (who shouldn't be in this thread yet), because you never go full Nick.  :lol But I think I can shed 20 or so just by cutting out the BS. For short dudes like me, keeping the weight under control is a big thing.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3510 on: September 06, 2023, 08:07:06 AM »
Now to lose some weight. I can't go full Nick (who shouldn't be in this thread yet), because you never go full Nick.  :lol But I think I can shed 20 or so just by cutting out the BS. For short dudes like me, keeping the weight under control is a big thing.

We're in the same boat.  My weight crept up over the last year due to stress eating.  It started when girl scout cookies went on sale and we bought a ton from my daughter.   I was eating a box a day sometimes and then I developed an Oreo habit.  :lol

I tend to eat better when I go into the office - I bring my lunch and snacks and only eat that for the morning and afternoon.  A lighter dinner (Lean Cusine) then helps as well. 

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3511 on: September 12, 2023, 03:10:28 PM »
It's a great thing to get to the age where you get discounts. Better than being dead.

Not sure how to take that one... better than being dead I mean.  :lol

Being 43, I'm remembering all the times that my brother (10 years older than I) said "your 40's will show you what kind of man you are"... hmmm.  Let's see:

Back spasms: once this year (only other time in 2019 at a Golf Tourney)
Osteoarthritis Diagnosis (Clavicle): diagnosed at 42 and I've had two "episodes" with it (prednisone took care of it)
Knee pain for the first time in my life (years of squats and basketball on rubberized floors)
General soreness in places I've never had it (knees as mentioned, calves, buttocks, shoulders, etc)

The Osteoarthritis in my clavicle is basically my fault according to the Osteopath... years of push-ups, bench presses, and shoulder presses having worn away the right joint.  The good news about that is that I have no issues lifting or with mobility as long as push-ups and shoulder presses are avoided; I use a mace for shoulder exercises and a python for chest exercises.  Sold all of my free-weights a couple of years ago and I only use a pull-up bar, python, kettlebells, and a mace.

Ice baths help as well.  No discounts yet tho...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3512 on: September 12, 2023, 03:21:17 PM »
I'm 57, so 40 doesn't seem that old anymore.  However, I am retiring early so I'll be much younger than most retirees. lol  It's all relative I suppose. :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3513 on: September 12, 2023, 03:56:22 PM »
My dad got to retire at 59.  I wish.  I'm 55.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3514 on: September 12, 2023, 04:10:06 PM »
When I was in my 30's, I remember considering myself relatively young.  Once I hit 40, it seemed like my body started going to shit.  Random aches and pains, noticeable decline in energy levels, etc.  Right around then, I happened to catch an episode of Family Feud and the question was At what age do most men say that the indiscretions of their youth start to catch up with them?  Or something like that.  I said 40's, because it seemed obvious to me and I was just thinking about it.  Options we 20's, 30's, 40's, etc.  Number 1 answer was 40's.  Somehow I felt vindicated, though it honestly didn't make me feel any better.  :lol

So yeah, your 40's is when you start to feel it.  All that shit you did to your body when you were young and indestructible, you get to pay for that now.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3515 on: September 12, 2023, 04:22:18 PM »
When I was in my 30's, I remember considering myself relatively young.  Once I hit 40, it seemed like my body started going to shit.  Random aches and pains, noticeable decline in energy levels, etc.  Right around then, I happened to catch an episode of Family Feud and the question was At what age do most men say that the indiscretions of their youth start to catch up with them?  Or something like that.  I said 40's, because it seemed obvious to me and I was just thinking about it.  Options we 20's, 30's, 40's, etc.  Number 1 answer was 40's.  Somehow I felt vindicated, though it honestly didn't make me feel any better.  :lol

So yeah, your 40's is when you start to feel it. All that shit you did to your body when you were young and indestructible, you get to pay for that now.

Thanks for lifting my spirits Orbert  :lol  If the bold above is true, guess I'll soon be peeing whiskey and confined to only one position with Mrs. Grad that doesn't hurt my back or shoulder (Mrs. Grad was quite wild when we were younger... actually she's still quite wild as long as I keep up).

Me thinks that in my 50's, I'll resort to Rogan's playbook and take stem-cell injections.  :lol
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3516 on: September 12, 2023, 04:23:49 PM »
I had this thought that my mom passed away at 64 years old. I'm less than 9 years away. That's crazy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3517 on: September 13, 2023, 06:31:42 AM »
I had this thought that my mom passed away at 64 years old. I'm less than 9 years away. That's crazy.

My grandfather dropped dead at 60...and my wife is the same age!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3518 on: September 13, 2023, 06:49:09 AM »
My dad passed when he was 50 - I'm 42 in December.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3519 on: September 13, 2023, 07:00:15 AM »
My dad passed when he was 50 - I'm 42 in December.

Wow.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3520 on: September 13, 2023, 07:47:36 AM »
I never thought of this stuff in my 20's.  Hits you hard now.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3521 on: September 13, 2023, 10:49:11 AM »
Been a banner year for me. Got put on prostate meds at the start of the year after discovering I have a large one. This week I started taking Celebrex for my raging arthritis thanks to my accident 16 years ago. Fun getting old.

Just in time for my new bowling league to start up this week. Finally back to it after Covid killed my old longtime league.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3522 on: September 13, 2023, 10:53:43 AM »
Finally back to it after Covid killed my old longtime league.

This is good news.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3523 on: September 13, 2023, 11:21:27 AM »
Been a banner year for me. Got put on prostate meds at the start of the year after discovering I have a large one. This week I started taking Celebrex for my raging arthritis thanks to my accident 16 years ago. Fun getting old.

Just in time for my new bowling league to start up this week. Finally back to it after Covid killed my old longtime league.

Used to be something to be proud of.  :) :) :) :)

Here's to hoping you finish the year strong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3524 on: September 13, 2023, 12:58:06 PM »

This is good news.

Hopefully it was just the league that was killed, not all of the other participants!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3525 on: September 13, 2023, 01:30:20 PM »

This is good news.

Hopefully it was just the league that was killed, not all of the other participants!

Yeah, that was a little vague. No one died, although I was probably the youngest person in the league so not entirely far fetched. New league is much closer to home which is nice.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3526 on: September 13, 2023, 02:37:19 PM »

Generally speaking, being alive is better than being dead.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3527 on: September 13, 2023, 03:54:32 PM »

Ah, I may have misinterpreted your comment.  As in the discounts are almost better than being dead.  Just reading too fast I suppose.  Also, being alive better than being dead depends on the life one is living; that's dark but I believe it's true.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3528 on: September 17, 2023, 12:43:25 PM »

Ah, I may have misinterpreted your comment.  As in the discounts are almost better than being dead.  Just reading too fast I suppose.  Also, being alive better than being dead depends on the life one is living; that's dark but I believe it's true.

true, suffering sucks.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3529 on: March 15, 2024, 12:00:18 PM »
Anyone out there on statins?

I'm one week into Crestor 5 mg daily (very small dose) to get my LDL cholesterol down.  And I feel like SHIT.

Headaches, body aches, muscle weakness, malaise, foggy brain.  Last night I had what felt like a low blood sugar reaction where I got very shaky and confused but after I had some juice, I felt better.  This makes me worried that it is causing me to fall over into diabetes - which I am at risk for.

People I've spoken to tell me to give it 2 weeks and that the side effects will ease up.  Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who tend to get side effects to almost any medicine and so I tend to avoid pharmaceuticals at all costs.  But I also know that high cholesterol is very dangerous and I do have genetic risk factors in this area.

Ugh, I hate feeling like shit and it is really impacting my ability to keep my workouts on track.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3530 on: March 15, 2024, 01:16:29 PM »
Anyone out there on statins?

I'm one week into Crestor 5 mg daily (very small dose) to get my LDL cholesterol down.  And I feel like SHIT.

Headaches, body aches, muscle weakness, malaise, foggy brain.  Last night I had what felt like a low blood sugar reaction where I got very shaky and confused but after I had some juice, I felt better.  This makes me worried that it is causing me to fall over into diabetes - which I am at risk for.

People I've spoken to tell me to give it 2 weeks and that the side effects will ease up.  Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who tend to get side effects to almost any medicine and so I tend to avoid pharmaceuticals at all costs.  But I also know that high cholesterol is very dangerous and I do have genetic risk factors in this area.

Ugh, I hate feeling like shit and it is really impacting my ability to keep my workouts on track.

Back in 2015, I was hospitalized for a week for atrial fibrilation (sp?).  Since then, I've been seeing a cardiologist twice a year and have been on 6 different daily meds.  Relative to cholesterol, I take 20mg of Atorvastatin per day.  My LDL is great (although my HDL is a bit low, which is why my doc dropped the dosage from 40mg), and I don't have any significant side effects from any of the meds (a couple of the other meds I take make me need to pee a lot in the morning, but that's not from the Atorvastatin).  If your side effects don't ease up, have a chat with your doctor about a different med.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3531 on: March 15, 2024, 01:43:27 PM »
I was prescribed 80 mg of Atorvastatin daily back in 2011 when an angiogram revealed total blockage of one of my coronary arteries and significant blockage of two others.  They cut that back to 40 mg a month after my surgery.  Cholesterol is some bad shit and you don't want that clogging up your arteries.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3532 on: March 15, 2024, 06:02:11 PM »
Yeah, thanks guys.  I'm going to try and stick it out another week.  Then I'll call the doc and see if I can do an every other day dose.  A cardiologist I follow on TT had a post about side effects and mentioned Crestor has a long half life so every other day dosing can be used to titrate up on the medication while monitoring cholesterol with lab work.

I'm really hoping not to do the switching around from one drug to another thing because I will definitely get side effects to any/all so getting through the first couple of weeks is hell no matter what I get put on.

One thing I like about the medication so far is the pills are so VERY tiny.  Almost like the head of a pin!
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3533 on: March 16, 2024, 08:29:15 AM »
I started 20MG atorvastatin six months ago.  I take it EOD, basically because I forget half the time. :lol    My 205 cholesterol number is now way down to 171. I'm sure a couple other minor changes have helped along the way. 

Sorry about your side effects.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3534 on: March 16, 2024, 10:25:40 PM »
We had our first kid when I was 35. She and I would spend hours at the playground running around, playing tag, chase, and all that. We had our second when I was 41. Now I am 47, and it is hard on this old body at the park with this one. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'