Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 336927 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #3430 on: May 12, 2023, 03:32:10 PM »
Yeah, car seat warmers are great.  If I'm not imagining things, mine is the seat plus a little ways up the back, maybe 4-6 inches.  It's awesome.

Mine goes up to about my mid-back, so it’s perfect for lumbar pain. Rarely ever used it and then only during winter when I’d have a coat or layers of clothing on and wouldn’t be able to really feel it, so it never occurred to me to use for back pain until just now.

Mid-back sounds about right.  For some reason, I always assumed that the seat warmers only warmed the actual seat, not any part of the back.  I mean, they're separate pieces of equipment.  But I noticed at some point that it felt like my lower back was also getting warm.  But like I said, I didn't know if I was imagining it or maybe the heat radiated up the seat back or something.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3431 on: May 18, 2023, 12:44:58 PM »
Personal hygiene as physical therapy

Shaving, I raise my chin and turn my head and somewhere in my neck I feel a "crunch" but it's a good crunch.  Sometime later in the routine, I turn the other way, or twist some other way, and something else goes "crunch" and I'm thinking this is great, who needs a chiropractor?  One time in the shower I was reaching around and had to turn and twist my 60-something-year-old self and something in my back went "pop" but it was a good pop.  And it occurred to me that that's all Tai Chi is.  In movies, it just looks like they're moving in slow motion, move the arms, move the legs, but what they're really doing is moving the body around, keeping things limber, keeping things loose and moving, and yeah it feels fucking great because the older you get, the less you move, so something as simple as moving around and getting your blood flowing feels good.

Anyway, I just thought of that.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3432 on: May 18, 2023, 07:06:05 PM »
I've joined a couple discord servers and I have no idea what these kids are saying. I'm only 38!!!!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3433 on: May 19, 2023, 09:17:34 AM »
I've joined a couple discord servers and I have no idea what these kids are saying. I'm only 38!!!!!!
Discord is not for people like us.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3434 on: May 19, 2023, 09:22:30 AM »
 Couldn’t begin to tell you what a discord is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3435 on: May 19, 2023, 09:23:46 AM »
My Godson is on it all the time. It's like Reddit from what I gather. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3436 on: May 19, 2023, 09:24:26 AM »
Er… what’s a Reddit?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3437 on: May 19, 2023, 09:32:31 AM »
Think of it as DTF, but instead of having different sections you have servers (which you'd need to join) and within each server there are sub-sections.

I joined Discord because of Coheed and Cambria, but I don't use it. I joined a few servers and ended up leaving all of them.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3438 on: May 19, 2023, 09:38:01 AM »
Er… what’s a Reddit?

It's a website, but that's not important right now. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3439 on: May 19, 2023, 10:00:55 AM »
Er… what’s a Reddit?
These kinds of questions could lead to you getting a reputation of some kind.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3440 on: May 19, 2023, 11:30:24 AM »
My Godson is on it all the time. It's like Reddit from what I gather.

I wouldn't say it's like Reddit at all. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3441 on: May 19, 2023, 12:17:33 PM »
Reddit I can handle. Thats like individual threads like this message board. Discord is just chats... chats on chats on chats and its like the kids speak another language lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3442 on: May 19, 2023, 12:32:49 PM »
Think of it as DTF, but instead of having different sections you have servers (which you'd need to join) and within each server there are sub-sections.

I joined Discord because of Coheed and Cambria, but I don't use it. I joined a few servers and ended up leaving all of them.

Is there somewhere else to connect with C&C fans? Does the band have its own forum?

And not directed at you, V, but..how many feeds to we need? I literally only come to DTF to talk music and stuff. I don't have a facebook, an instagram, a tik tok, a discord or a reddit. How much do we really need?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3443 on: May 19, 2023, 12:44:44 PM »
"Need" is a big word.  But there are lots of outlets for lots of expression or discussion.  Some places are better for some things than other places.

You may think you only "need" DTF because you've never examined much else.  The possibilities for expression or discussion only reveal themselves once you try.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3444 on: May 19, 2023, 12:52:29 PM »
Yeah, I get that, but then I still go back to..."need". How much discussion do I need?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3445 on: May 19, 2023, 12:56:26 PM »
There's a couple awesome C&C Facebook groups that I'm in. Most of the people are great and definitely more my age range lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3446 on: May 19, 2023, 01:36:40 PM »

Is there somewhere else to connect with C&C fans? Does the band have its own forum?

And not directed at you, V, but..how many feeds to we need? I literally only come to DTF to talk music and stuff. I don't have a facebook, an instagram, a tik tok, a discord or a reddit. How much do we really need?
Honestly, Discord is not so bad, I'm just not very big on Social Media since I don't have any accounts (does DTF counts?). Discord is useful to connect with different groups. If you have a hobby/interest and no one at DTF shares the same interest, you can most likely find a discord server for it to connect with other people.

It's also important to note that discord started was a place for gamers to chat and talk about games. Then it expanded into what it is now.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3447 on: May 19, 2023, 01:55:31 PM »
Yeah, I get that, but then I still go back to..."need". How much discussion do I need?

Well, that's a personal question.  Everyone has different levels and amounts of discussions they want/need to have. 

I like Discord a lot, but I don't really use it for the big channels because those channels can just be too much.  Like I'm in a very popular prog metal discord and I've had my moments of chatting there, but it's just so active that if you aren't following along all the time, there's kind of no point in following along at all since it's not too personal.  Like DTF is fairly personal because it's a small group of the same people here so we mostly all "know" each other.  I'm in a bunch of smaller discords that are more like that. 

Also, I mainly just use discord for voice chat with gamer friends.  It's just a good app for live voice chat that doesn't rely on the games in game chat which can be hit or miss depending on the game.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3448 on: May 20, 2023, 07:53:28 AM »
Reddit I can handle. Thats like individual threads like this message board. Discord is just chats... chats on chats on chats and its like the kids speak another language lol

My brother and I have a discord server that we hang out in and it's great. It's a lot like IRC was back in the 90's. You have your voice channels, text channels, and then you can also start threads there if you want.

I often thought about starting a DTF discord but the participation would be zero :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3449 on: May 20, 2023, 09:20:37 AM »

My brother and I have a discord server that we hang out in and it's great. It's a lot like IRC was back in the 90's. You have your voice channels, text channels, and then you can also start threads there if you want.

I often thought about starting a DTF discord but the participation would be zero :lol

There is a DT discord with 100 or so people in it (including myself) but I can't remember the last time I interacted in there.  I think it's ran by the whoever runs the DT reddit.  Even Blob has his own discord and he left us

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3450 on: May 30, 2023, 07:46:16 PM »
I just turned 37, I am getting old.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3451 on: May 30, 2023, 07:51:32 PM »

This is kind of something toying with me for a while now.  As I get older, I feel the need to discussion and interaction less and less.  I'm only fucking 39 for fucks sake.

Everyone's needs are obviously different but as time goes on I just don't have the time or energy for as many discussions and interactions like I used to.  A bit of burnout probably also has something to do with it.

I chat here and an online fantasy football forum which is in full swing at the moment, plus a private whatsapp group from there.  Those three things at times is more than I can handle.  Being more involved in the footy stuff currently takes time away from here and vice versa. 

Fuck I'm getting old.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3452 on: May 30, 2023, 07:57:30 PM »
I feel like that too.  I think it's the manager's position that makes me not want to converse that much. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3453 on: May 30, 2023, 08:01:29 PM »
I feel like that too.  I think it's the manager's position that makes me not want to converse that much.

I'm really relieved that I don't have any supervisory duties anymore.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3454 on: May 30, 2023, 08:10:33 PM »

Hit the fucking nail on the head my friend.

I'm really relieved that I don't have any supervisory duties anymore.

Yeah mate, you definitely should be.  NEVER go back into that field ever again.....you hear me?......NEVER!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3455 on: May 30, 2023, 08:23:29 PM »
I haven't managed people since 2013.  Fuck that shit got old, and fast.  Solving other peoples' shit for them.  I had a few good employees that took care of their business and just kept me informed, but too many others that simply didn't want to make a fucking decision or stick their neck out, and just laid their shit on me.

So very pleased to be an individual contributor.  Management sucks.  It was good for the 7 years I did it, but I was glad I never went back to it after I got out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3456 on: May 30, 2023, 08:40:44 PM »
I haven't managed people since 2013.  Fuck that shit got old, and fast.  Solving other peoples' shit for them.  I had a few good employees that took care of their business and just kept me informed, but too many others that simply didn't want to make a fucking decision or stick their neck out, and just laid their shit on me.

So very pleased to be an individual contributor.  Management sucks.  It was good for the 7 years I did it, but I was glad I never went back to it after I got out.

Fast forward all of that 10 years and it seems from my experience being in it for 15 plus years it's harder again.  People expect you to wipe their fucking ass for them and accept no responsibility and blame someone else for their problems.  Happens in management too trust me but the employees these days have so much more power.  My situation, they are on a better wicket than I am with less stress and responsibility.  I know I'm different as I'm working with all casuals which means they can give less of a fuck and do more of what they want.  Peoples personal problems these days are so minimal yet people use it more and more as a crutch, it's infuriating.  being casual though it's just easier for me to fuck them off however.  I still have a few good ones, but the severe change in management above me makes my middle management role even harder again.  Add on top of that management expecting you to do their work for them cause they are clueless yet not pay you any extra. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3457 on: May 31, 2023, 09:46:27 AM »

So very pleased to be an individual contributor. Management sucks.  It was good for the 7 years I did it, but I was glad I never went back to it after I got out.

Agreed. The job I took after I was furloughed in 2020 was a PM running an installation crew. I had (14) direct reports. It was my first experience in that type of role and I hated it. I'm so happy to be back just going about my business and contributing to the team rather than being tasked to run it. I am just more comfortable in this type of role and I'm good with it. Don't know that I'll ever pursue a role again where I have direct reports.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3458 on: May 31, 2023, 10:05:05 AM »
I've never wanted to be in any sort of leadership role. I'm also very anti-social and will literally run away from people I know when I see them in public just so I don't have to talk to them and those are people I genuinely like.

My wife struggles to understand my desire to just be comfortable at home. When I have to go out I'll have several things I want to do but never actually do them because I get worn down quickly and just want to go home. As I have mentioned before, I'm pretty sure I have autism based on everything we went through with my son. Explains a lot of my weird issues.

I talk to you guys more than I talk to anyone else and even then, I'm not a super poster like most of you.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3459 on: May 31, 2023, 11:14:09 AM »
I'm on bereavement leave and I still have to respond and help because my backup doesn't know all the answers like I do. It sucks.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3460 on: May 31, 2023, 11:20:31 AM »
I'm on bereavement leave and I still have to respond and help because my backup doesn't know all the answers like I do. It sucks.
No, you don't have to respond. If it's too much for you right now, just leave them hanging. They'll survive.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3461 on: May 31, 2023, 11:29:38 AM »
No. New hire and our system was down. I just answered a few questions.   I'm good. Keeps the mind occupied.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3462 on: May 31, 2023, 11:51:18 AM »
No, you don't have to respond. If it's too much for you right now, just leave them hanging. They'll survive.

Agreed. Joe, you know what's best for you, but you still don't have to. Just decided to share my experience last month.

I took one day from my PTO in April to go to my grandfather's funeral, told people at work too, we're standing there saying our goodbyes before they put the coffin into the I don't know, the elevator that goes to the furnace, and one of the younger guys at our work group texts me saying it's urgent. I looked at it and didn't answer, the question was trivial and he could've asked people at the office. He deleted his message two hours later as apparently he found someone who could help him at the office.

Everyone's different obviously, but I'm not answering anything work-related either at the funeral or actually for the whole day. I don't mind responding or taking calls while I'm on vacation as long as people don't abuse that, but I have to draw a line somewhere.

That being said, if you're good, that's good. Also sorry for intruding into the fogeys thread.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3463 on: May 31, 2023, 12:10:53 PM »
I didn't take any bereavement; I needed the distraction, the focus.  But when we had our ceremony last week, I called my boss and said "I need you."   Well, not exactly, because that's creepy, but I said I'm turning my phone off at 10:30 that day and I'm not even turning it back on again until the following morning.  She was 1000% understanding, and took the slack for me.   It helps that, like Joe, she knows that under other circumstances, I'm answering the phone basically any time of day.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3464 on: May 31, 2023, 02:27:45 PM »
I actually had a scheduled day off the day after my father died. But I continued to work. I ended up using my bereavement days to move my mother into her new place a few weeks later. We didn't have any type of service so there was no reason for me to miss work.