Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 336890 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #3255 on: July 29, 2022, 08:23:00 AM »
I understand that it's different for everyone, but you guys sound like a bunch of pussies.  It was inconvenient for sure, but it was also painless.  Take the day off, accept the fact that you'll need to be near the bathroom for six hours or so, and just... let it flow.  Hell, it was a vacation day for me.  Slept in, spent the rest of the morning goofing off, then starting drinking the stuff around Noon.  By evening, it was mostly done and, as I said, it was entirely painless.  That night I slept fine, got up the next day to go in for the procedure (which I remember none of), was home by that afternoon.  If I have to do that every five or 10 years to make sure I don't get ass cancer and die, that's a great trade-off.

I will never trade getting an ass probe for el cancer. Shove stuff up my ass all day, take all the pics you want, after watching two uncles die from cancer, I want none of that shit, and will do whatever it takes to prevent it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3256 on: July 29, 2022, 08:35:41 AM »
I probably had some PBJs for lunch afterwards.  That's my go-to for pretty much any occassion.  I also got stoned as hell and enjoyed the second of my two days off on the company dime, although that part I'm sure is optional for most.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3257 on: July 29, 2022, 08:45:56 AM »
I know that everybody here is saying colonoscopy - no big deal.  Get it done, make sure you are cancer free.  All of this is 100% good advice.

However, I'd just like to point out that there are a lot of people for whom going through the prep and/or the procedure is in fact a very big deal.  Disabled people and older people struggle with the prep especially.  Getting up and down out of their chair/bed and onto a commode can be challenging 1-2x a day but repeatedly for many hours?  That's a lot.

Many people have other medical issues for whom doing the prep can cause pain, discomfort, or potentially trigger other severe medical issues. Diabetics for example need to eat in order to manage their insulin correctly.  Going 24 hours without food can be easy for most, but for diabetics and people with other chronic issues, it is challenging.

Know anyone on the autism spectrum that have severe food aversions?  You think getting them to drink that prep is going to be easy?  I know a few adults on the spectrum that can't even swallow a Tylenol.

Then we have the part of the populace who have suffered sexual abuse.  Some guy wants to shove a tube up your bum now?  Yeah, plenty of people are going to say that is a no-go for them.

Colonoscopies are important, no doubt.  But what is also important is to understand that for many people it isn't as easy as you might think.  And just because it is easy for you, doesn't mean that it works that way for everyone else.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3258 on: July 29, 2022, 09:21:40 AM »
My dad was handicapped, and my son (step son) is on the spectrum.  There are always individual circumstances to be addressed.  I can't speak for my step son, he's 14 and this is in the far future for him, but for my dad, he worked with his doctor to come up with a solution.  Ironically (or not) he died of cancer, which kind of reinforces for me that it's an important issue to address, even if the mode of addressing it is different for each patient.

I will do better to make sure my posts... let's say, more broadly address the issues.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3259 on: July 29, 2022, 10:09:15 AM »
Everyone is different Bob. I had a similar experience to yours - didn't even take the day (before) off.  My brother on the other hand, got so dehydrated, he had to go to the ER.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3260 on: July 29, 2022, 10:20:32 AM »
Not making light of Harmony's post, but I have a small hemorrhoid down there. Let me tell you, it's a huge pain during prep.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3261 on: July 29, 2022, 10:21:33 AM »
I still can't see that stuff at a drug store and not get goosebumps. The windshield washer fluid jug of stuff you have to drink. Whoever gave me the advice of "chilling it" in the fridge was spot on. It made it go down easier.
I've had a myriad of docs up my shoot over the years for prostatitis related issues.  It is what it is.

The after colonoscopy recovery area is especially fantastic comedy.....with all the farting. And farting by people who've never farted in their lives and can't help it. The surprised relatives one curtain over who are just mortified by being surrounded by a dozen human tubas.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3262 on: July 29, 2022, 10:39:39 AM »
With harmony's post in mind, I don't think any of us are making light of the process to play it down for those who may have major physical barriers with it, but to help convince/encourage those who may be averse to the procedure for inconsequential reasons, and may be chancing cancer and tremendous suffering to their families by avoiding a simple medical procedure.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3263 on: July 29, 2022, 10:41:17 AM »
With harmony's post in mind, I don't think any of us are making light of the process to play it down for those who may have major physical barriers with it, but to help convince/encourage those who may be averse to the procedure for inconsequential reasons, and may be chancing cancer and tremendous suffering to their families by avoiding a simple medical procedure.

Agree.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3264 on: July 29, 2022, 01:25:17 PM »
My wife and I scheduled ours for the same day. We made a date out of it.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3265 on: July 29, 2022, 01:36:06 PM »

Pretty sure that's not the kind of activity the marriage counselor had in mind.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3266 on: July 29, 2022, 01:59:06 PM »

Hope you have two bathrooms.  ;)
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3267 on: July 29, 2022, 02:12:43 PM »

Hope you have two bathrooms.  ;)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3268 on: July 29, 2022, 02:52:15 PM »
Remember that talk show that William Shatner had for a while?  Remember the weird double-facing seat thing?

Now I realize what it reminds me of.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3269 on: July 29, 2022, 02:56:19 PM »
Seriously though, Harmony, those are very good points which I hadn't considered.  But as others have said, my point was not to belittle the genuine issues that some people have with the prep, but to try and convince others that the prep isn't (normally) that bad.  No one here has said that it was bad because they're handicapped, or diabetic, or on the spectrum.  It was more "Oh no, I'll have to shit like 10 times!" or "I'll have to drink a gallon of lemonade!" and really, is it that big of a deal to run to the bathroom several times over maybe half a day, once every five or 10 years, to potentially save your life?

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3270 on: July 29, 2022, 03:22:08 PM »
Seriously though, Harmony, those are very good points which I hadn't considered.  But as others have said, my point was not to belittle the genuine issues that some people have with the prep, but to try and convince others that the prep isn't (normally) that bad.  No one here has said that it was bad because they're handicapped, or diabetic, or on the spectrum.  It was more "Oh no, I'll have to shit like 10 times!" or "I'll have to drink a gallon of lemonade!" and really, is it that big of a deal to run to the bathroom several times over maybe half a day, once every five or 10 years, to potentially save your life?

Well, I honestly don't know you or anyone else here well enough to know what their particular situation is.  All I am saying is that a) cancer screenings are good and b) just because something is easy for you or me, doesn't mean it is for others.  Especially if we don't have their whole story.  Someone here on this thread gave a very real and legitimate reason why he may not have an easy time with the prep.  I can respect that.  And even if I still think ultimately his benefit of having a cancer screening outweighs the risk of taking the prep, that is his decision to make.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3271 on: July 29, 2022, 03:39:11 PM »
The Love Toilet - "Because when you are in love...even fine minutes apart seems like an eternity."  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avb1XbO0EIs

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3272 on: July 29, 2022, 04:08:53 PM »
I know that everybody here is saying colonoscopy - no big deal.  Get it done, make sure you are cancer free.  All of this is 100% good advice.

However, I'd just like to point out that there are a lot of people for whom going through the prep and/or the procedure is in fact a very big deal.  Disabled people and older people struggle with the prep especially.  Getting up and down out of their chair/bed and onto a commode can be challenging 1-2x a day but repeatedly for many hours?  That's a lot.

Many people have other medical issues for whom doing the prep can cause pain, discomfort, or potentially trigger other severe medical issues. Diabetics for example need to eat in order to manage their insulin correctly.  Going 24 hours without food can be easy for most, but for diabetics and people with other chronic issues, it is challenging.

Know anyone on the autism spectrum that have severe food aversions?  You think getting them to drink that prep is going to be easy?  I know a few adults on the spectrum that can't even swallow a Tylenol.

Then we have the part of the populace who have suffered sexual abuse.  Some guy wants to shove a tube up your bum now?  Yeah, plenty of people are going to say that is a no-go for them.

Colonoscopies are important, no doubt.  But what is also important is to understand that for many people it isn't as easy as you might think.  And just because it is easy for you, doesn't mean that it works that way for everyone else.

Good points and some of it I eluded to earlier regarding phobias.  I don't think it's easy for anyone, but some people just deal with it better than others and I would never tell anyone to just deal with it.  It's a personal choice.  My late GF used to say that men just aren't used to doctor visits like women because they don't have to go as often for check ups.  Plus, I think women are more prone to taking care of themselves than men, IMO.

and really, is it that big of a deal to run to the bathroom several times over maybe half a day, once every five or 10 years, to potentially save your life?

It can be a big deal if you consider that there are a thousand other ways to get cancer.  A colonoscopy is not a guarantee.  It's like someone telling a smoker that those things will kill ya.  Smoker says, what are ya gonna do, live forever?  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3273 on: July 29, 2022, 04:45:13 PM »
True, a colonoscopy is not a guarantee.  There are a million ways to die and a thousand ways to get cancer.  I guess I'm the type to play the percentages.  If there's a procedure which can detect problems early the vast majority of the time, especially for a type of cancer that is usually fatal, that's a no-brainer for me.

Also, choosing to engage in something known to cause cancer isn't quite the same as choosing not to get screened for a precancerous condition.  But we all make our choices.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3274 on: August 09, 2022, 06:38:17 AM »
I was picking weeds in my lawn last night, pinching them between my thumb and the side of my index finger. Maybe 5-10 minutes. Immediately afterwards I could not straighten my index finger all the way. Slept on it hoping it would feel better today. Now it's sore and stiff and I can straighten it even less. It's amazing how many things you do in a day that requires a straight index finger. I'm finding it difficult to do much of anything. Off to the doctor today I guess. Last night I was worried I had popped it out of joint but today it feels more like a super tight tendon or something. Hooray for being injured doing mundane tasks.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3275 on: August 09, 2022, 08:16:34 AM »
My husband and I do a bit when one of us has an ache or pain.  We lifted it from a Dana Carvey special in a segment where he is talking about getting older.

"How'd you hurt your back?"

"I took a nap." 

Hope your finger feels better soon.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3276 on: August 09, 2022, 06:27:29 PM »
My first meal after my colonoscopy a few years ago was a huge stacked of pancakes. I destroyed them pretty quickly.  :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3277 on: August 09, 2022, 09:13:58 PM »
I was picking weeds in my lawn last night, pinching them between my thumb and the side of my index finger. Maybe 5-10 minutes. Immediately afterwards I could not straighten my index finger all the way. Slept on it hoping it would feel better today. Now it's sore and stiff and I can straighten it even less. It's amazing how many things you do in a day that requires a straight index finger. I'm finding it difficult to do much of anything. Off to the doctor today I guess. Last night I was worried I had popped it out of joint but today it feels more like a super tight tendon or something. Hooray for being injured doing mundane tasks.

Sounds like potential trigger finger. I never heard of it until someone in my old bowling league came down with it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3278 on: August 10, 2022, 07:06:58 AM »
My husband and I do a bit when one of us has an ache or pain.  We lifted it from a Dana Carvey special in a segment where he is talking about getting older.

"I took a nap." 

:lol   Just had this near identical conversation with my 12  year old son on Sunday. We were out running errands together and my back had a little knot/crick in it dead in the mid back between my shoulders.....just enough discomfort to be annoying but certainly nothing to where I couldn't function. I complained about it a couple times and he asked me how I hurt it....to which I told him.....sleeping. Told him that when you're older sometimes you just wake up and something is hurting and you have no freaking idea why  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3279 on: August 10, 2022, 07:13:10 AM »
Gary, if you get aches and pains like that have you ever considered going to get a massage?  :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3280 on: August 10, 2022, 07:22:22 AM »
Gary, if you get aches and pains like that have you ever considered going to get a massage?  :)

HAHAHA

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3281 on: August 10, 2022, 07:22:31 AM »
Oh my :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3282 on: August 10, 2022, 07:22:51 AM »

:lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3283 on: August 10, 2022, 07:39:44 AM »

Sounds like potential trigger finger. I never heard of it until someone in my old bowling league came down with it.
Yeah, I read about that. Possible, but I'm lacking some of the symptoms. I got examined yesterday and they did an xray and mri which showed no bone, muscle, or tendon damage and everything is in the right place. So that's good. But why the he'll does my finger not move correctly? They were kinda stumped. I'm just supposed to give it time and see what happens, then maybe do physical therapy or talk to a surgeon if it won't get better.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3284 on: August 10, 2022, 07:41:19 AM »

Yeah, I read about that. Possible, but I'm lacking some of the symptoms. I got examined yesterday and they did an xray and mri which showed no bone, muscle, or tendon damage and everything is in the right place. So that's good. But why the he'll does my finger not move correctly? They were kinda stumped. I'm just supposed to give it time and see what happens, then maybe do physical therapy or talk to a surgeon if it won't get better.

Man....this is a strange one. Best of luck to you and I hope your finger returns to normal quickly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3285 on: August 12, 2022, 07:00:57 PM »

"I took a nap." 

:lol   Just had this near identical conversation with my 12  year old son on Sunday. We were out running errands together and my back had a little knot/crick in it dead in the mid back between my shoulders.....just enough discomfort to be annoying but certainly nothing to where I couldn't function. I complained about it a couple times and he asked me how I hurt it....to which I told him.....sleeping. Told him that when you're older sometimes you just wake up and something is hurting and you have no freaking idea why  :lol

Sad but true.  My advice is to get some tiger balm from the store.  You can get a little jar of it for less than 10 bucks and it is a godsend.  Any time I feel a little ache or pain in my neck or back, I just rub a little on there and it helps a lot.  And, yeah, as we get older, more aches and pains creep up, so we gotta do what we can do help ourselves.

On an unrelated note, I can't remember if I mentioned it here, but I had carpal tunnel syndrome last year in both hands/arms, but my PT showed me some easy exercises which worked like a charm and it was basically gone a month later.  However, it came back in my right arm (I am right-handed) when I got Covid back in early May and has lingered a bit since.  Pretty annoying, but just another brick in the wall of the little nagging health issues I have before I turned 50 next year.  :eek :eek

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3286 on: August 17, 2022, 12:15:44 PM »
Woke up at 3 am.  Stuffy nostril/feeling dry from AC so used my handy nasal saline spray.  Realized while squeezing that my thumb knuckle on my dominant hand is swollen twice its normal size and acutely painful.  Could not get back to sleep until some Advil kicked in.  It still hurts like hell.

I have no fucking idea what is wrong with it.  ::)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3287 on: August 17, 2022, 12:31:18 PM »
A bite?

So I got bitten by something - bee or spider, I presume - about three, four weeks ago. Next day, my right arm blew up like friggin' Popeye.   I couldn't hold a pen, and I couldn't make a fist.  THEN, what looked like poison ivy appeared.   I went to the doctor (well, walk in) and they said well, it's definitely poison ivy, but if you got bit, we'll give you an antibiotic.  Which I did take, diligently.  The redness didn't move up my arm and in about three days the swelling went down and in about five days, the poison ivy went away.   To this day, though, I STILL have a little bump and pinhole scab where I thought the bite occurred (it looks like a pimple, but with a scab instead of a white head), and it still itches like hell. I'll post a picture when I can.

The point is, bites are insidious.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 09:09:46 AM by Stadler »

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #3288 on: August 17, 2022, 10:02:32 PM »

Physical therapist here, and curious as to how this is doing. I’m no hand therapist, but the only things I can think of that would cause this would be tendon irritation, a tight/inflamed joint capsule, or swelling and inflammation inside the joint itself. Thankfully the imaging ruled out anything more serious, but the activity that caused your symptoms was so mild I’d hardly expect that. Just sounds like a general overuse condition.

Have you tried ice on the area, and/or did your doctor suggest anti-inflammatory meds? Otherwise sounds like his plan is pretty reasonable. Just try to keep it moving as is tolerable so the stiffness doesn’t worsen. And if things don’t clear up, a physical therapy evaluation could absolutely be warranted. Hope things are already feeling better, and if not, that they do soon!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3289 on: August 18, 2022, 05:39:04 AM »

Physical therapist here, and curious as to how this is doing. I’m no hand therapist, but the only things I can think of that would cause this would be tendon irritation, a tight/inflamed joint capsule, or swelling and inflammation inside the joint itself. Thankfully the imaging ruled out anything more serious, but the activity that caused your symptoms was so mild I’d hardly expect that. Just sounds like a general overuse condition.

Have you tried ice on the area, and/or did your doctor suggest anti-inflammatory meds? Otherwise sounds like his plan is pretty reasonable. Just try to keep it moving as is tolerable so the stiffness doesn’t worsen. And if things don’t clear up, a physical therapy evaluation could absolutely be warranted. Hope things are already feeling better, and if not, that they do soon!
I was packing up to go camping for a long weekend a few days after my finger started acting up. I was shoving something into the camper and my finger let out an audible pop with a sharp pain. The movement was back to normal afterward. It was sore for a few more days, but is now completely fine. I don't know if it was slightly dislocated and the doc just couldn't see it or what. I cannot state how relieved I am that this cleared up on it's own. I was freaking out that there was permanent damage. I couldn't do much of anything without pain for a few days.