Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 336894 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #3185 on: April 11, 2022, 10:08:53 AM »
Bill.....great post and I think perhaps I've just been subconsciously 'deciding' where I'm putting my energy and focus? As you said....I've shared some of the recent parenting issues we're facing and while I don't look at it as exhausting or something that is or should wipe me out.....maybe it has? I don't know?

And Chad...I think for that 10+ years I built my identity around the constant exercise/running/doing races etc etc. It was like a badge of honor so to speak and something that those around me tied me to....and as I said, it was a part of 'me' for a long time. I feel like here the past year...year and a half I just got to the point where the constant running and races just wasn't as important as it once was. But, I haven't resolved that admission in my mind fully....that I just don't deem it as important as I once did. I still want to remain in 'shape' and be responsible....but having a resting hear rate in the low 40's may not be realistic or necessary anymore.

I'll try to take your "don't beat yourself up over them" advice seriously because that's a large part of the way I'm feeling right now. I feel like I'm letting myself down and to an extension my kids/family for not holding to this image and creation of myself I presented to everyone for so many years.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3186 on: April 11, 2022, 10:15:18 AM »
I totally understand Gary.  I was so depressed the last 2 years and kept putting on weight it was bad.  I just mentally shut down.  Having to be "on" all the time with work during the covid as a manager, struggling to staff and just feeling down lead me to feeling worse about myself.  Took me a while to say, snap out of it.  While I'm still overweight, I'm feeling better mentally and physically.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3187 on: April 11, 2022, 10:56:40 AM »
Due to my accident in 2007, which I have shared here and there, exercise is not something that is particularly easy. My right ankle is always in quite a bit of pain (it's screaming at me right now) and my left knee has outlasted all the experts opinions on when it should be replaced. I did have a gym membership before my accident but I find most activities extremely painful now. One of the few things that I took pride in was using a push mower to do my yard. I was getting some semblance of exercise. Problem was, I was usually in agony for the next couple of days due to the pain but I didn't want to get a rider because in my mind my lawn did not qualify for such a thing. Well, the last year that I used a push mower I was struggling to even finish. I was having to stop because I felt like I was going to have a heart attack and I could barely walk. It was all adrenaline getting me through. Finally had to get it through my head that I am not the man I was before my accident. The rider has made my summer's so much less painful.

Outside of my weight, I do everything else right from a medical perspective. I get yearly physicals/blood work, I see a dermatologist every year, I just had my first geezer probing. All of my numbers check out. The only number that is off is my weight and I also have the issue of genetics against me on that.

I'm 45 with a brain that thinks he's 25. Just trying to come to grips with balancing everything out to make me as happy as possible.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3188 on: April 11, 2022, 11:10:17 AM »
I'm 45 with a brain that thinks he's 25. Just trying to come to grips with balancing everything out to make me as happy as possible.

Right there with ya.....although I'm 46 it's the same undertaking.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3189 on: April 11, 2022, 11:21:48 AM »
Read that quickly on my phone and I’ll read it again at home later, but I wanted to ask… how is your son doing?
I can’t help but think that his situation  be playing into it.

For the past couple weeks it's been really good. Great conversations and he's been interacting and carrying on like his 'old self'. But as I've learned through this with him.....just when I believe we've turned a corner or that it's all behind us something happens or there's set back so I'm cautious to get comfortable if that makes sense.

But, I'm sure with what we're going through with him has played some sort of part in wearing down my mental game.

That's good that it's been good for a bit. I can't imagine the emotional and mental toll that takes.

Have you talked with your doctor about this? Is your bloodwork up to date? I'm thinking blood sugar levels, vitamin deficiencies,...or even worse, can all affect your energy levels day in and day out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3190 on: April 11, 2022, 11:25:44 AM »
Have you talked with your doctor about this? Is your bloodwork up to date? I'm thinking blood sugar levels, vitamin deficiencies,...or even worse, can all affect your energy levels day in and day out.

I'm going to be real honest here Tim.....I haven't been to the Dr. for any type of anything in years. The last time I even spoke to her was during the pandemic when I torked my head on the boards playing hockey and when she wrote me an order for a covid test (back when that's what it took to get one)

I know I need to get in and do a ton of that stuff.....I understand it's the right and responsible thing to do. I just haven't, no excuses to be offered here as to why not.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3191 on: April 11, 2022, 11:32:57 AM »

I'm going to be real honest here Tim.....I haven't been to the Dr. for any type of anything in years. The last time I even spoke to her was during the pandemic when I torked my head on the boards playing hockey and when she wrote me an order for a covid test (back when that's what it took to get one)

I know I need to get in and do a ton of that stuff.....I understand it's the right and responsible thing to do. I just haven't, no excuses to be offered here as to why not.

You would at least rule some things out. There may be a very explainable reason for how you’re feeling.
Plus you’ve had Covid twice.     

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #3192 on: April 11, 2022, 11:38:22 AM »
So the last time I hit the Old as Mold limit, you guys upped it by 10 years. So have you upped it again? I've been 40 for almost 2 weeks now.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3193 on: April 11, 2022, 11:44:46 AM »
So the last time I hit the Old as Mold limit, you guys upped it by 10 years. So have you upped it again? I've been 40 for almost 2 weeks now.

You’re in. Unless of course you have a clean bill of health.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3194 on: April 11, 2022, 11:46:23 AM »

Plus... Tick hasn't been around in a while, so no one's gonna update the thread title.

With the discussion today, this seems pretty relevant:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3195 on: April 11, 2022, 11:52:37 AM »
Tick? Jeez I forgot about him.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3196 on: April 11, 2022, 12:09:38 PM »
Bill.....great post and I think perhaps I've just been subconsciously 'deciding' where I'm putting my energy and focus? As you said....I've shared some of the recent parenting issues we're facing and while I don't look at it as exhausting or something that is or should wipe me out.....maybe it has? I don't know?

Well, I'm a firm believer that our bodies talk to us, either consciously or unconsciously, and it's only a matter of "do we listen?".  And whether it's someone like Neal, who maintains that God has spoken to him, or someone else that points to "their genes", or the "bad Chinese food we ate", to anything else that we use for guidance or motivation, those truths come out.  I've had moderate stomach issues most of my life - heartburn, that sort of thing - and all that flared up once in my life: I had diverticulitis and it was excruciating (it's basically an infection of one or more little "pockets" in your intestine; similar to appendicitis, just not in your appendix).   I even spent three days in the hospital.   

Oh, I forgot to mention, the second day in the hospital was the court date against my ex-wife in a post-divorce contempt of court motion she filed against me.  They rescheduled, of course, but I took it for what it was: I was not being honest with myself about how much that bothered me, and how anxious I was to have to answer to the court.  I was representing myself and she had a lawyer; after I got out of the hospital I called an attorney and we settled within about two weeks.  Coincidence?  Maybe; or maybe my brain was unconsciously dealing with a stress and anxiety that I was in denial over.   I do know this; following the settlement, I patched things up with my ex; we're not close friends or anything, but we are civil and friendly, and when she had a life event not long ago that went way back to the start of our marriage, she called me to talk it through as opposed to her husband.   And oh by the way, I've not had a problem with my colon since. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3197 on: April 11, 2022, 12:52:35 PM »
Well, I just got home from having a tooth pulled. Yay! The left side of my face is completely numb, but my left bottom jaw if fucking sore as hell.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3198 on: April 11, 2022, 02:22:12 PM »
Well, I just got home from having a tooth pulled. Yay! The left side of my face is completely numb, but my left bottom jaw if fucking sore as hell.

Elective procedure?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3199 on: April 11, 2022, 02:31:06 PM »

Elective procedure?

I cracked a tooth in half a couple of weeks ago. Literally split down the middle from front to back. It was my second molar from the back on my bottom left. Now I have a gaping chasm between my teeth and the last one.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3200 on: April 11, 2022, 04:43:48 PM »
That sucks mate.

Elective procedure?

Why would having a tooth pulled be an elective procedure?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3201 on: April 11, 2022, 04:49:58 PM »
Why would having a tooth pulled be an elective procedure?

:lol

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #3202 on: April 11, 2022, 05:08:04 PM »
Well he didn’t forget about you!😘

I have not been around for quite awhile. Reason being, I have a new job with a much different dynamic and I have little free time on my hands.
The good news is it’s the best job I’ve ever had and I’m quite happy.

And man has time flown bye. When I joined this forum I mid 40’s and now I’m 57. What the hell…
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3203 on: April 11, 2022, 05:50:18 PM »
Tim see, I'm not the only one that feels a disturbance in the Power Windows force.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3204 on: April 11, 2022, 06:32:05 PM »
Tim see, I'm not the only one that feels a disturbance in the Power Windows force.

I think you tipped him off on facebook. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3205 on: April 11, 2022, 06:34:25 PM »

I have not been around for quite awhile. Reason being, I have a new job with a much different dynamic and I have little free time on my hands.

And man has time flown bye. When I joined this forum I mid 40’s and now I’m 57. What the hell…

That's awesome Tick.

See you in 10 months! ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3206 on: April 11, 2022, 06:36:09 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3207 on: April 11, 2022, 06:38:26 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3208 on: April 11, 2022, 06:39:59 PM »
It definitely sucks to get older.

I had that stomach issue 3 1/2 years ago and it has never been quite the same, so throw in my diet, which isn't always the best, and my levels due to too much sugar at times cause headaches and nausea far more often than I'd like.  Feels like a vicious cycle sometimes where eating something bad makes me feel better, like how someone with a heroine addiction needs it to feel "right."  I have been telling myself for a while that I need to do that sugar detox, but I have not brought myself to do it yet.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #3209 on: April 12, 2022, 06:47:19 AM »

Healthier than I've been in a very long time, but no not a clean bill of health. I've inherited all the wonderful genetic fuckups of my parents and they all hit me earlier than most. I have my physical tomorrow morning, and got most of my lab work back yesterday. Just about all of it is great, but there is always room for improvement. But I am a damn sight better than I was this time last year.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3210 on: April 12, 2022, 09:17:00 AM »
Coincidence?  Maybe; or maybe my brain was unconsciously dealing with a stress and anxiety that I was in denial over.   

They say stress kills and I'm a pretty big believer in that. 

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #3211 on: April 12, 2022, 10:47:57 AM »

That's awesome Tick.

See you in 10 months! ;D
Starting……..NOW!

🤣
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3212 on: May 17, 2022, 07:34:26 AM »
Today I’ve joined the 50 club. Where is the AARP thread?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3213 on: May 17, 2022, 07:48:07 AM »

In the recycling bin like all the letters I've received from them.  LOL 

Happy 50th T-Ski!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3214 on: May 17, 2022, 08:16:28 AM »

Happy half century.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3215 on: May 17, 2022, 08:44:53 AM »

Congrats....I guess? I'm a mere 4 years away from being there with you! Here's to another 50 for ya  :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3216 on: May 17, 2022, 10:27:06 AM »
I went to a local college baseball game last week with a friend from work (I'm 54, and he's either 46 or 47, so he hasn't started getting the AARP mailers).  He politely sent me the text from the team's website that discounted tickets were available for "seniors" (which meant those who are 60 or older).  I responded with a Mr. Rodgers middle finger GIF, but I also pointed out that I'll happily accept all the discounts that anyone wants to give me.  I ain't too proud!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3217 on: May 17, 2022, 01:56:38 PM »
Thanks to The Lovely Mrs TAC, we've been enjoying AARP benefits for years. ;D

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3218 on: May 17, 2022, 02:57:22 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes. I don’t feel a day over 49!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3219 on: May 17, 2022, 03:05:45 PM »
The Bucks/Celts series must've aged you a couple of years.