Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 336951 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #3010 on: January 28, 2022, 04:39:58 PM »
I'd be more concerned with having one of my colleagues pick something up on their way into the office. They're much more likely to spit in my tofu salad than a DoorDash driver.
Christ, dude, where do you work?  :lol

I think my concern would be more about the determination being the driver's perception of how good a tipper you are, and thus the need to feel like you need to tip bigger.

And re restaurant vs third party delivery, I'm one of the few people that has never delivered pizzas, so I'm unsure of how it plays out in the longterm. What I can tell you is that gig jobs nowadays, be they GrubHub, Instacart, or Uber, can be incredibly frustrating. Delivering for Domino's means that Domino's is a constant and the customer is a variable. Delivering for Door Dash means both the restaurant and the customer are wildcards, and the number of things that can piss you just increased exponentially. You've got to deliver X number of meals per hour for it to work, and the folks at Potbelly taking too long costs you a tip on this customer and the ability to get your next, and you don't even know how hard the delivery side is going to be yet. My hunch is that there probably is a greater likelihood of your door dash driver hocking one up in your soda than Mr. Pizza Guy simply because of the greatly increased aggrevation.

Also, since these services probably work better for some places than for others, my advice would be that the next time somebody is in a place that they occasionally get takeout for, ask. I always pick up my own food, largely to support local businesses, and I've had this conversation before. Maybe they'd prefer you order directly, but Grubhub isn't a direct harm to them. Maybe Grubhub is going to put them right out of business. The only guy who knows for sure is the guy that runs the place.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3011 on: January 28, 2022, 04:42:11 PM »
I mentioned being out and seeing the DD and GH guys lining up for orders, and it looked like a fucking police lineup. Like I said, one guy sat down and chased a shot with a beer.
And holy shit, the Instacart people that shop in my store can barely keep their pants up. I wouldn't trust my rotisserie chicken to make it home with both drumsticks.
Saw this earlier and it made me chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biGuyZ4GjhQ
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3012 on: January 28, 2022, 04:53:32 PM »
I mentioned being out and seeing the DD and GH guys lining up for orders, and it looked like a fucking police lineup. Like I said, one guy sat down and chased a shot with a beer.
And holy shit, the Instacart people that shop in my store can barely keep their pants up. I wouldn't trust my rotisserie chicken to make it home with both drumsticks.
Saw this earlier and it made me chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biGuyZ4GjhQ

I saw that too. That is awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: January 28, 2022, 05:40:45 PM »
I'd be more concerned with having one of my colleagues pick something up on their way into the office. They're much more likely to spit in my tofu salad than a DoorDash driver.

It's not where I work that's the issue, rather the frequency with which I piss off my coworkers.

Besides, like Tim says, locality is probably important to the experience. I'm way more likely than all y'all to have my food delivered by a returned Mormon missionary with a car set in the back, than a toothless tweeker with cabbage in her hair.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3014 on: January 28, 2022, 06:46:03 PM »
Cabbage?  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3015 on: January 28, 2022, 08:06:44 PM »
Besides, like Tim says, locality is probably important to the experience. I'm way more likely than all y'all to have my food delivered by a returned Mormon missionary with a car set in the back, than a toothless tweeker with cabbage in her hair.

:o

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3016 on: January 28, 2022, 08:38:53 PM »

He’s the boss.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3017 on: January 28, 2022, 08:52:00 PM »
Where the uni unibomber lived. Lol

Gregg has the utopia of living accommodations.  I've seen the pictures. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3018 on: January 28, 2022, 08:53:28 PM »
The uni unibomber?  :lol

Did he terrorize local colleges?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3019 on: January 28, 2022, 09:04:36 PM »
I am finding this discussion fascinating.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3020 on: January 28, 2022, 09:11:59 PM »
Buried in this page is the fact that someone ordered a tofu salad. WTF is a tofu salad?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3021 on: January 28, 2022, 09:12:29 PM »
TAC's new profile pic!  :lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3022 on: January 28, 2022, 10:07:35 PM »

Well, amazingly, yeah. That's exactly what he did. The two of y'all combined to get one thing right.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3023 on: January 29, 2022, 07:31:24 AM »

Well, amazingly, yeah. That's exactly what he did. The two of y'all combined to get one thing right:lol

Let this be a lesson in perseverance.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3024 on: January 29, 2022, 10:02:22 AM »
It sounds like Grubhub is indeed involved in some pretty shitty practices.  No surprise there, I guess.  Fake websites and cybersquatting have been around for a while, and is usually shot down eventually, but I can see how it's a pain in the ass to the smaller business that don't have the resources to fight it.

But I still don't see how GH listing places that they don't have contracts with hurts the restaurants.  What it basically comes down to is someone placing an order through GH, GH in turn calling in an order to the restaurant, picking it up, and delivering it.  If the restaurant doesn't have a deal with GH, they're sure as hell not going to pay them anything.  An order was placed, they made it, and someone picked it up and paid for it.  If some third party actually placed the order and will be picking up, not the end consumer, how does that hurt the restaurant?  This all has apparently happened without the restaurant even being aware of it.  Shady, but I don't see how the restaurant is hurt by this.

The customer pays more, and that difference is covering GH's costs (and their profit), but obviously food delivered to you is going to cost more than if you just went there and picked it up.  There's a moral downside to the customer being completely unaware that GH isn't doing this above board, but if you're willing to pay $45 for for $16 worth of food, that's on you.  Now, GH taking the order (and the money) and never delivering anything is definitely a problem.  Pissed-off people calling the restaurant saying they never got their food, only to be told that the restaurant doesn't deliver, yeah that's an issue.  GH has crossed the line from being a delivery service to blatant fraud at that point.

This is how I thought it worked.  That GH and/or DD were sort of "unaffiliated" middlemen.  In that case, the Dominos add is misleading and wrong.   If somehow GH and/or DD were, for lack of a better word, extorting restaurants to accept less, that's different.  I can't imagine someone like McDonald's accepting $0.80 on the dollar for their food, when they've taken to actually having TWO drive through lanes at many of their stores to handle volume.  It makes no sense.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3025 on: January 29, 2022, 10:04:15 AM »

Where the hell did THAT come from?!?  :) :) :)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #3026 on: January 30, 2022, 03:40:16 PM »
Buried in this page is the fact that someone ordered a tofu salad. WTF is a tofu salad?

Tofu is great with anything. It’s one of my go-too foods. Then again, I’m Chinese.  ;D
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3027 on: January 30, 2022, 03:45:42 PM »
Tim, have you ever used Google? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3028 on: January 30, 2022, 03:59:58 PM »
Tried tofu a few times......can't do it, I don't get it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3029 on: January 30, 2022, 04:13:38 PM »

Where would I go to find out how to use it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: January 30, 2022, 04:18:27 PM »
 :facepalm

Where would I go to find out how to use it?

:facepalm:

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #3031 on: January 31, 2022, 11:28:49 AM »
Tried tofu a few times......can't do it, I don't get it.

Yeah, that's understandable. It's your basic bland ethnic staple food, sorta like hummus. I hated tofu in my younger days... it wasn't until I finally tried it in all it's many variations that I've come to love it.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3032 on: January 31, 2022, 12:31:03 PM »
Hummus is nasty.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3034 on: January 31, 2022, 12:48:49 PM »
Hummus is nasty.

Get out of here, roasted red pepper hummus is so good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3035 on: January 31, 2022, 01:21:54 PM »
Hummus is nasty.

How dare you attack my heritage.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3036 on: January 31, 2022, 01:36:20 PM »
Hummus is nasty.

I'm with you on that.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3037 on: January 31, 2022, 01:43:43 PM »
Well, Hummus is like anything else with a variety of flavors.  Depends on the type.  Generally speaking, I like Hummus.  But there are certain types of Hummus out there that I probably wouldn't like.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3038 on: January 31, 2022, 01:47:46 PM »
Good hummus is great.  That shit Costco sells - especially if it gets a little old - is crap.  Eventually, it just tastes like butter.

Hummus at a Greek restaurant made fresh .... *chefs kiss*
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3039 on: January 31, 2022, 01:51:25 PM »
Yep, can't go wrong with gourmet Hummus!  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3040 on: January 31, 2022, 02:06:51 PM »
Anyone else find that they day they hit 40, big wiry hairs started sprouting out of their ears? I've been plucking a few every day, but it seems like more just sprout in their place. Yay for middle age.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3041 on: January 31, 2022, 02:08:00 PM »
Hummus is nasty.

Roasted Red peppers are gross too.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3042 on: January 31, 2022, 02:10:53 PM »
Yeah Tim.  Roasted red peppers are almost as bad as Power Windows.  :lol :rollin :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3043 on: January 31, 2022, 02:12:38 PM »
Truth be told, I would take Power Windows over red peppers and hummus. And tofu.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3044 on: January 31, 2022, 02:14:50 PM »
Well, that's a start. :p